GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Brovelli, BarrettM, 1 invisible), 212 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,426
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,830
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,507
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,305
Posts1,058,288
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 91 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 90 91
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #713442
05/01/13 06:10 AM
05/01/13 06:10 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Too bad about "Olympus has Fallen". I couldn't get with North Koreans as believable competent bad guys.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #713443
05/01/13 06:22 AM
05/01/13 06:22 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
The English Teacher
I always liked Julianne Moore ever since the movies Hannibal and Boogie Nights. I hadn't seen her in a comedic role before. The English Teacher is a successful mix of comedy and drama. The film mostly takes place in a school, a gym, or someone's home. Sets and sound levels are well done. The character motivations might occasionally be described as broad but again they are very true to life. People get lonely and do stupid things. People gossip and try to protect their jobs.

Linda Sinclair (Julianne Moore) is a Pennsylvania area high school English teacher. She has incredible zest and passion for her work and her students. But otherwise life is passing her by. In a voiceover, an older female narrator (her conscience?, her fear?) explains that Linda is an incurable romantic and thus thinks that any man she meets should live up to the men found in works like "Pride and Prejudice" or "A Tale of Two Cities". Of course most men don't and in one of the film's running gags, when Linda rarely dates, she immediately judges and grades the men. Negative comments in red ink appear on screen. No, Linda is happy most days just to go home alone and read or watch TV. And the voiceover says that's just the way it should be, thank you very much.

She bumps into a former student Jason Sherwood (Michael Angarano). The last she heard Jason had gone to NYU's writing program and on to Broadway but Jason ruefully explains that he washed out of NYU and is under increasing pressure from his father, Dr. Tom Sherwood (Greg Kinnear in an excellent albeit small role) to attend law school. Linda thinks this is a shame because she still believes Jason has real, world changing writing talent. Feeling encouraged, Jason gives Linda his masterpiece play, something he claims is based in part on his own life. Linda reads it and is transformed by the artistry and tragedy on display. She shares it with the hammy drama teacher Carl Kapinas (Nathan Lane), who can't stop telling everyone about the time he auditioned for Soderbergh, as well as the school principal Slocum (Jessica Hecht) and vice principal Pelaski (Norbert Butz).

Slocum and Pelaski decide to allow the play to be performed at the school. Positive it will be a success, Linda even agrees to pay for any cost overruns out of her own pocket. Linda is excited by the prospect of "saving" Jason from law school and working closely with a creative person. And that's when Jason shows Linda how hot for teacher he really is while Linda shows Jason how to make a lady smile. And then things get interesting. It is an interesting phenomenon that illicit sex can harm or help a man's reputation but virtually never helps a woman's. Them's the breaks. Linda's jealousy and defensiveness don't help matters, either. When you spend too long lying to yourself you lose the ability to tell when other people can see through your lies.

This was, to me anyway, an enjoyable film. It doesn't have any obvious bad guys. It's just a slice of life that doesn't take any sides other than giving the very clear message that whoever you are, whatever you do, you need to get up and enjoy life because it's too precious to waste away.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #713796
05/03/13 04:00 PM
05/03/13 04:00 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Caught IRON MAN 3 last night. What an awesome start to the summer 2013 season.

Terrific, slickly produced, funny as hell pseudo-throwback to the 1980s/early 90s Hollywood action movies mixed with modern pytotechnics and the sci-fi/fantasy portal that is Marvel. We get 3 (or was it 4?) outstanding action setpieces. This might be better than the first (wonderful) IRON MAN film. This entry was directed by Shane Black, who back in his day of course scripted LETHAL WEAPON and LAST BOY SCOUT and a few years back directed KISS KISS BANG BANG with a pre-superstardom Robert Downey Jr.

And yeah like those movies, IM3 is basically a buddy actioneer albeit Downey and Don Cheadle don't team up together until the 3rd act but that beast narrative is there, highly kinetic and more one-liners than it knows what to do with. This is what the disapointing IRON MAN 2 should've been in the first place.

It's also solid science fiction. The ads you all might've seen showed Downey's new gizmos like remote controlling his Iron Man suits and pieces of the suit magnetically attaching to him one at a time. (And Black and his crew utilize this established fact for inspired imagination.) The villains with their new "Extremis" virus, which turns people into nearly-indestructable superhumans with regenerative powers if a tad explodey. How can a guy in a tin can defeat this technological superiority? By throwing everything plus the kitchen sink at them. (I'm sure I saw a kitchen sink flying around in that impressive climax fight.)

Crazy thing is the best moments in IM3 for me are when he's on the run, without his suits and basically forced to use his brains to fight back MacGuyver style. Handcuffed in the middle of a Tennessee town with two of those Extremis freaks on his ass? He doesn't let that get him (and his massive ego) down because he's Tony Stark, he'll figure something out. And he does.

I will say this though. The ads are misleading. This is not a remake of THE DARK KNIGHT, and some fanboys are pissed they didn't get that remake that they apparently were expecting. Oh boo hoo. I respect Marvel and Black for not going down that plot road that many recent movies have done already (SKYFALL, etc.) and tried to basically use that presumptions against you.

I give this ****1/2 out of 5.

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 05/03/13 04:01 PM.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #713802
05/03/13 04:58 PM
05/03/13 04:58 PM
Mastronardo Offline
Made Member
Mastronardo  Offline
Made Member
This Is 40. It stars Paul Rudd, Megan Fox and Jason Segel. ****/5.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Mastronardo] #713843
05/03/13 11:22 PM
05/03/13 11:22 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: Mastronardo
This Is 40. It stars Paul Rudd, Megan Fox and Jason Segel. ****/5.
Caught this last weekend, I agree with your score.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #719251
06/06/13 10:47 PM
06/06/13 10:47 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I watched 1992's Innocent Blood again last night (I've seen it a few times). It's sort of Donnie Brasco meets Twilight. Despite its critics and failure at the box office, I like it (it was filmed in Pittsburgh). One thing that's cool about it is that its cast was a Sopranos warm-up of sorts. Besides Anthony LaPaglia and Chazz Palminteri, there's Robert Loggia, Tony Sirico, and David Proval. Also, Don Rickles has fun with his role.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: olivant] #719315
06/07/13 04:45 PM
06/07/13 04:45 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: olivant
I watched 1992's Innocent Blood again last night (I've seen it a few times). It's sort of Donnie Brasco meets Twilight. Despite its critics and failure at the box office, I like it (it was filmed in Pittsburgh). One thing that's cool about it is that its cast was a Sopranos warm-up of sorts. Besides Anthony LaPaglia and Chazz Palminteri, there's Robert Loggia, Tony Sirico, and David Proval. Also, Don Rickles has fun with his role.

I believe John Landis directed that, didn't he?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #719341
06/07/13 09:16 PM
06/07/13 09:16 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

I believe John Landis directed that, didn't he?

Yes.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: olivant] #719510
06/09/13 01:32 PM
06/09/13 01:32 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
The Sundance Channel is now playing DDA (Pacino is great) with Marathon Man to follow. Two good flicks. smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #719554
06/09/13 05:41 PM
06/09/13 05:41 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
The Sundance Channel is now playing DDA (Pacino is great) with Marathon Man to follow. Two good flicks. smile

TIS

I just watched Serpico for the first time a few days ago it reminds me of The King of Comedy because it's one of the truly underrated movies of 2 of the greatest Actors. IMO it's Al's best performance other than GF 1.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Camarel] #719571
06/09/13 06:37 PM
06/09/13 06:37 PM
California

California
Originally Posted By: Camarel
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

TIS

I just watched Serpico for the first time a few days ago it reminds me of The King of Comedy because it's one of the truly underrated movies of 2 of the greatest Actors. IMO it's Al's best performance other than GF 1.

Yes, I loved Serpico too. One of my favorites. smile I saw it at the theater and it was very popular (as was Pacino). I remember seeing the real Frank Serpico on various shows after that movie. The Tomorrow Show comes to mind with Tom Syner, if you remember.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #719584
06/09/13 09:08 PM
06/09/13 09:08 PM
California

California
Boy, that didn't take long. I just saw an ad for a new Lifetime Movie titled, "Jodi Arias, Dirty Little Secret." Geez, trial just ended.

smile

TIS

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #719683
06/10/13 01:16 PM
06/10/13 01:16 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Saw "The Internship" with Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. The best way to describe it is "Wedding Crashers Lite."

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #720101
06/12/13 02:35 PM
06/12/13 02:35 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Ya'll might want to give a look at Trouble With the Curve with Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams, and Justin Timberlake. It's a pretty good baseball movie as the back ground to something of a troubled father/daughter relationship (By the way, you might pick up some batting tips).

I like Clint's values themed movies these days. Also, Timberlake has turned out to be a good actor. For those of us who are fathers, it may stir memories of teaching our daughters about baseball (even football). I know I tried to teach all of my daughters baseball and used to throw the football with them. There's one scene where he pitches to his 33 year old daughter and she hits it into outfield and then rounds the bases. He watches her as she does so smiling all the time especially when she does a cartwheel between 2nd and 3rd.

Last edited by olivant; 06/12/13 02:51 PM.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: olivant] #720237
06/13/13 01:01 PM
06/13/13 01:01 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
For those of us who are fathers, it may stir memories of teaching our daughters about baseball (even football). I know I tried to teach all of my daughters baseball and used to throw the football with them. There's one scene where he pitches to his 33 year old daughter and she hits it into outfield and then rounds the bases. He watches her as she does so smiling all the time especially when she does a cartwheel between 2nd and 3rd.

My daughter grew up with two older brothers, so she was a bit of a tomboy. One of my favorite memories of summer was pitching to her and her friend Joey, who has Down Syndrome, on a scorching sunday afternoon while a golden retriever collected the balls after each hit.

I'll give that movie a see just for that scene.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: klydon1] #720248
06/13/13 02:26 PM
06/13/13 02:26 PM
Chicago Underworld
Frank_Nitti Offline
"The Enforcer"
Frank_Nitti  Offline
"The Enforcer"
Underboss
Chicago Underworld
Originally Posted By: klydon1
For those of us who are fathers, it may stir memories of teaching our daughters about baseball (even football). I know I tried to teach all of my daughters baseball and used to throw the football with them. There's one scene where he pitches to his 33 year old daughter and she hits it into outfield and then rounds the bases. He watches her as she does so smiling all the time especially when she does a cartwheel between 2nd and 3rd.

My daughter grew up with two older brothers, so she was a bit of a tomboy. One of my favorite memories of summer was pitching to her and her friend Joey, who has Down Syndrome, on a scorching sunday afternoon while a golden retriever collected the balls after each hit.

I'll give that movie a see just for that scene.

Gee tug at my heart strings a bit why don't ya.
I'm sure your daughters enjoyed those moments as much as you did.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #720363
06/14/13 04:57 AM
06/14/13 04:57 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Saw a midnight showing of Man of Steel. Pretty good. Some things worked. Others not so much. Would be interested in a sequel with something like Doomsday. None of that Justice League crap though.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: IvyLeague] #720401
06/14/13 10:54 AM
06/14/13 10:54 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Saw a midnight showing of Man of Steel. Pretty good. Some things worked. Others not so much. Would be interested in a sequel with something like Doomsday. None of that Justice League crap though.

My oldest son got home from work at eleven, showered and headed off to a midnight showing of the movie too. He also thought it was pretty good.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #720416
06/14/13 11:49 AM
06/14/13 11:49 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
I thought MOS was OK, in fact I would compare it to SUPERMAN RETURNS from several years back: Several interesting ideas*, some nice eyecandy action setpieces, and I'm ultimately underwhelmed.

Its weird that for a movie that tried its darn best to make you care about the hero (following the Nolan playbook, its basically SUPERMAN BEGINS), I felt no real investment in him or his journey or the stakes really. The one moment where I did feel something was that brief scene with Meloni in Smallville, where fear and ignorance is defeated by decency.

The 3rd fact becomes disaster movie mayhem porn like you expect from Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich. When Supes and General Zod have their big expensive fight, I really didn't care and actually wanted this movie to end.

Not to mention there was never (for me at least) a big "whoop" moment, if you will where for a scene you lose yourself in the story and leave yourself hopelessly giddy. I think of Hulk smashing Loki like a ragdoll in THE AVENGERS.I think of IRON MAN when Tony Stark fights his way out of the cave. I think of Batman's first night out in BATMAN BEGINS, or Christopher Reeve's Superman debut when he grabs the helicopter. Or beyond that superhero genre, Harrison Ford pulling out his gun on that swordman in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. Bruce Willis telling off the police captain in DIE HARD. The heroes in STAR WARS escaping the pitfalls in the Death Star, and so forth.

Using a scale, I would give this 3 out of 5.

*=For example, how the Lois/Clark relationship is totally reimagined is a good idea. Wished it would've actually added up to something.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #720626
06/16/13 01:07 AM
06/16/13 01:07 AM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
I watched The Great Mouse Detective and The Black Cauldron last night with my niece imo the 2 most underrated Disney films.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #720676
06/16/13 01:16 PM
06/16/13 01:16 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well, I finally caught The Dark Knight Rises on HBO last night. I was somewhat disappointed. Primarily, I wanted to watch it because it was filmed in Pittsburgh (In fact, when I was in Pittburgh two years ago, I got caught in traffic when they were filming one fight scene).

I don't know; it seemed like there was something missing. It seemed pedestrian. The superhero pathos that seem to be on display in today's movies makes those heroes seem ordinary. Also, the villain seemed a stretch. I was surprised that Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 90s rating in both categories.

Last edited by olivant; 06/16/13 07:15 PM.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #720701
06/16/13 07:05 PM
06/16/13 07:05 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
Watched The Italian Job from 1969 yesterday, it was ok.

Ends in a literal cliffhanger, i think they were planning on making a second one to start where this one ended but i guess they never got around to it.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Giancarlo] #720777
06/17/13 11:39 AM
06/17/13 11:39 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I think without equivocation Man of Steel is the best Superman movie ever made.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: dontomasso] #720829
06/17/13 06:04 PM
06/17/13 06:04 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
I think without equivocation Man of Steel is the best Superman movie ever made.

As I said in the Man of Steel thread, I saw it a second time. I got more out of it and the fact that I saw it in a huge screen certainly helped. It still wasn't perfect but I'd maybe give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #722243
06/25/13 02:20 PM
06/25/13 02:20 PM
Mississippi - 662
B
BlackFamily Offline
Underboss
BlackFamily  Offline
B
Underboss
Mississippi - 662
I recently saw First Time Felon starring Omar Epps as a vice lord. This movie is on YouTube and came out in 1997 on HBO. Decent movie.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #722531
06/26/13 02:56 PM
06/26/13 02:56 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
In the Dark Knight Rises final scene, Robin stands on a rising platform. What is that platform?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: olivant] #722589
06/26/13 07:14 PM
06/26/13 07:14 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
In the Dark Knight Rises final scene, Robin stands on a rising platform. What is that platform?

Same one seen earlier in the film, which if I remember right, encompassed Batman's workstation and costume.

Also I suppose Nolan liked the symbolism of the rising of a new Dark Knight.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #722697
06/27/13 11:47 AM
06/27/13 11:47 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
I watched two movies recently, but couldn't stay up to see the endings. One was Mystic River, which I liked quite a bit. I thought the acting was outstanding, and was wondering whether it received Academy Award nominations/awards, specifically Sean Penn.

The other was Shutter Island, which had me hooked in the beginning, but I was losing a little interest before I went to sleep. Is this movie worth watching to the end?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: klydon1] #722703
06/27/13 11:57 AM
06/27/13 11:57 AM
California

California
Kly, I've seen that Shutter Island has been on tv several times in the last few weeks. I have never watched it but was tempted to cause it sounds like it might be good.

smile

TIS

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: klydon1] #722709
06/27/13 12:26 PM
06/27/13 12:26 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Originally Posted By: klydon1
I watched two movies recently, but couldn't stay up to see the endings. One was Mystic River, which I liked quite a bit. I thought the acting was outstanding, and was wondering whether it received Academy Award nominations/awards, specifically Sean Penn.

The other was Shutter Island, which had me hooked in the beginning, but I was losing a little interest before I went to sleep. Is this movie worth watching to the end?

I've seen both you should definitely watch the end of them imo, both have very dramatic endings i won't ruin anything but i think you'd be glad you watched the rest of them. Also, Sean Penn and Tim Robbins both won Oscars for their roles in Mystic River, but i'm not sure if Kevin Bacon or any of the other actors were nominated.

Page 8 of 91 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 90 91

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull