GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (The_Marble_Guy, 2 invisible), 185 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,461
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,874
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,321
Posts1,058,565
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 77 of 91 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 90 91
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1035109
05/27/22 04:23 PM
05/27/22 04:23 PM
blueracing347 Offline
Underboss
blueracing347  Offline
Underboss
The boy and I got free posters with our tickets. Just when you think it's over. Boom! For all of the fans of the original, there's a sweet surprise!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1035220
05/30/22 06:13 PM
05/30/22 06:13 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
2000 MULES

A documentarian investigation into the 2020 election, with particular analysis of key swing states in Georgia, Arizona, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania, show how rampant illegal voting turned the 2020 election in Joe Biden's favor and how it was ultimately stolen from the American people. Using geofencing technology and previously recorded footage of ballot boxes, there are no doubts that the 2020 election was stolen by the Democratic party. It's not surprising due to the party being so heavily in favor of mail-in balloting during the election, which is more susceptible to voter fraud. They also believe that any form of voting integrity laws are "racist" and "disproportionately effect minorities." Also keep in mind this is the same Democratic party that ran with a wild conspiracy theory for 4 years that the 2016 election was stolen, due to the simple fact, they couldn't process actually losing out to a candidate like Donald Trump. But you may be asking yourself, why haven't you heard more about the 2020 stolen election or seen any proof of voter fraud? It's quite simple really: the same Democratic party and MSM outlets who tried to indoctrinate you that the 2016 election was stolen, choose not to cover the steal of the 2020 election because they achieved their objective by getting Donald Trump illegally out of office. Don't believe me? Watch this film and make your own conclusions only afterwards. 6/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1035221
05/30/22 06:35 PM
05/30/22 06:35 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
CHIP 'N DALE: RESCUE RANGERS

I grew up watching the show so I decided to take a flyer on the movie. In some ways it does a good job of blending nostalgia with contemporary, as seen by Chip being a 3D animation and Dale being the more classic cartoon animation. A tongue-in-cheek storyline about rebooting the franchise/getting estranged and former friends Chip and Dale back together, it's about the duo reteaming in order to find their kidnapped friend Monterey Jack. Somewhat self-serving with a plethora of other franchises mixed into it, although not nearly on the level or as heavy handed and pandering as SPACE JAM 2. This film is actually enjoyable in parts and has a couple far and few funny moments. After watching this, I feel only fans of the franchise or younger viewers will enjoy this. 5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1035372
06/02/22 09:15 PM
06/02/22 09:15 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2

Sonic is back but he's not alone as fan favorites Knuckles and Tails join him in this next installment of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. Picking up less than a year after the events of the original, Dr. Robotnik is banished to the mushroom planet across our galaxy. Attempting to get back home, Knuckles stumbles upon him and offers his assistance as they're both after Sonic for their own reasons. Meanwhile, Sonic is settling in with his new family Tom (James Marsden) and Maddie Wachowski (Tika Sumpter). During a mid-credit scene during the original film, Tails is introduced, seeking out Sonic to warn him of Knuckles and Robotnik's impending arrival. Before long, Sonic and Tails are teaming up to stop Knuckles and Robotnik from getting their hands on an all powerful emerald that grants the possessor unlimited powers (think of Thanos and the infinity stones). Honestly, I wasn't much of a fan of the original and this was somehow even worse. I passed on seeing this in the theaters so took a chance now that it's available via streaming. I played the video game as a child and as much as I'd like to see this franchise succeed, it just hasn't done it for me. The visual effects are wonderful and at times, bold and beautiful. However, a lot of the jokes here feel forced and fall flat. The only two bright spots are Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik as he's his usual quirky, over-the-top, childish villain. The other is Idris Elba whose suave voice work brings depth and at times, humor to his super strong hedgehog Knuckles. The film made bank at the box office so I know a third movie will be made. And even though I'm not excited for it, I'm sure I'll see it at some point. 4/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1035377
06/02/22 11:08 PM
06/02/22 11:08 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
CODA (2021)

Once in a great while, the studios make a feel-good movie that isn't sappy and delivers a meaningful message. That's the case in CODA (Children of Deaf Adults). HS student Ruby Rossi (Emilia Jones in a terrific performance) is the only speaking/hearing member of a family (mother, father, older brother) who run a fishing boat business. They need her as their ttranslator and interface with the business/political world that constantly menaces the family business. She's torn between accepting a singing scholarship to music school and her family's needs. The all manage to work it out, eventually, with histrionics, guilting and love. She did her own singing (excellent) and learned signing. Troy Kotsur, who plays her farther, is deaf and won Best Supporting Actor--the movie was Best Picture.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1035406
06/03/22 07:05 PM
06/03/22 07:05 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Originally Posted by Irishman12
FIRESTARTER (2022)

A remake of the 1984 film that's based upon the Stephen King novel, FIRESTARTER finds the McGee family (Andy, Vicky, and Charlie) on the run from The Shop, a government agency who ran experiments on Andy and Vicky and who also posse telekinetic powers. Adolescent Charlie is beginning to learn while struggling to control her pyrokinetic powers. The Shop tracks them down via a hired hand, and while Andy and Charlie manage to get away, Vicky is not so lucky. The rest of the story is the duo on the run, with Andy attempting to train Charlie on how to control her gift. Having never read the novel and only recently seeing the original, I preferred the 1984 version over this. I did find the pacing of this superior to the original as this comes in at 94 minutes, while the original dragged in parts and registered with a 114 minute runtime. Other than that, the original still beats this out as this is nothing more than an average film. Nothing stands out after watching this: no performance, special FX, costumes, makeup, directing, etc. The performances of the original are much better as well as 9-year-old Drew Barrymore spins together a terrific performance for an actress her age, over 12-year-old Ryan Kiera Armstrong. Similarly, David Keith is much more warm and loving father to Charlie than Zac Efron, who comes off very cold and callous. And finally, Art Carney is more likeable as Irv Manders than the alcoholic and "overreacting" John Beasley. I didn't enjoy the original too much to be quite honest, but this remake is even worse. Once again, I don't understand the reasoning for even green lighting this project? I will sign off with a final note this is chock full of identity politics and representation points if you're keeping score at home. 5/10

Just watched this, agree with your review 100%
I did enjoy the Bullies getting softly abused…she Shuda lit them up.

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: DuesPaid] #1035436
06/03/22 10:14 PM
06/03/22 10:14 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
The Road to Perdition W/ Tom Hanks ..I know it's old ..but I loved it!!

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: hoodlum] #1035437
06/03/22 10:19 PM
06/03/22 10:19 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted by hoodlum

Now watching the umpteenth time.."Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"....F.....g awesome & funny..always loved Quentin T. ....

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: hoodlum] #1035454
06/04/22 04:57 PM
06/04/22 04:57 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro

Now watching the umpteenth time.."Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"....F.....g awesome & funny..always loved Quentin T. ....

Great movie hoodlum. Enjoy it my man!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1035464
06/05/22 01:56 AM
06/05/22 01:56 AM
Over Here < < in TX
U talkin' da me ?? Offline
Shiny Brass
U talkin' da me ??  Offline
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
https://www.dailywire.com/news/top-...se-flag-on-tom-cruises-characters-jacket

‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Responds To Outcry, Replaces Taiwanese Flag On Tom Cruise’s Character’s Jacket

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/1530307967115055107

"It's nothing personal, Sonny....... It's strictly business."

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #1035491
06/05/22 05:17 PM
06/05/22 05:17 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by U talkin' da me ??
https://www.dailywire.com/news/top-...se-flag-on-tom-cruises-characters-jacket

‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Responds To Outcry, Replaces Taiwanese Flag On Tom Cruise’s Character’s Jacket

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/1530307967115055107

Brav f'n O Tom Cruise and company. Stop pandering and bowing to the communist Chinese party for their sweet dollars. Have some pride and I'm glad that they finally found their balls!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1035615
06/07/22 08:32 PM
06/07/22 08:32 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
WHAT IS A WOMAN?

This documentary from conservative commentator Matt Walsh asks a very simple question: what is a woman? In seeking out an answer to this most basic of questions, Walsh does a fair and balanced job, garnering opinions from the medical field, academia, athletics, as well as individuals who identity as trans and those who have transitioned away from previously identifying as trans, amongst others. In addition, Walsh travels cross-country between Tennessee, California, New York, Massachusetts and other states as well as traveling to Africa to seek out answers. And yet, through all of this, no one can give him a straight answer. Guests squirm, avoid, deflect, or flat out walk out when any of their beliefs receives the slightest bit of push back, explanation, or clarification. And this is the problem we find ourselves in today as a country, the demise of constructive conversation. No more can two individuals who have opposing viewpoints, civilly discuss why we have our beliefs and why others have theirs. Nowadays you're labeled a sexist, a racist, a bigot, or in this case upon watching the film, a transphobe for simply asking questions. To Matt and the entire team over at The Daily Wire, I applaud their efforts as this is a very thought provoking, and constructed film. I urge more to have the courage, to watch this for yourself, and then form an opinion. 9/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1035624
06/07/22 08:59 PM
06/07/22 08:59 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
LAMB (2021)

A childless couple, Maria (Noomi Rapace) and Ingvar (Hilmir Snaer Gudnason) operate a sheep farm in a remote area of Iceland. While birthing ewes, they deliver a lamb that strangely catches their attention, and raise it, in a crib in their bedroom as their child. The lamb, who they call Ada, develops human characteristics, and even enchants Ingvar's brother, who shows up unexpectedly. But, there's a price to be paid for this intrusion into nature. I won't say more here.

To call this movie weird would be the understatement of the year. It has an early-Sixties Bergman/Antonioni quality, with spare, haunting scenery, tensions and general going-nowhere direction. Can't say whether or not I liked it, but it held my interest after a slow start.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1035625
06/07/22 09:39 PM
06/07/22 09:39 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Great review Turnbull. I saw this in the theaters and need to rewatch it. A lot to unpack after the initial viewing but I also believed this has a lot of religious themes in it potentially. On my rewatch, need to view it within that lens.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1035678
06/09/22 02:46 AM
06/09/22 02:46 AM
Over Here < < in TX
U talkin' da me ?? Offline
Shiny Brass
U talkin' da me ??  Offline
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX

Went for the full Top Gun: Maverick treatment tonight. Dinner at Applebee's, and AMC full recliner leather seats.

The jet scenes, and there are many, are very intense. There are many heroic actions in this movie. There were emotional moments, and, many belly laughs as well. One scene in particular that was emotional, was the scene at a funeral, where a folded American flag, and a salute with rifles were presented.

The memorable music for me, was the Kenny Loggins song "Danger Zone," David Bowie's "Let's Dance," and The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again."

"Don't think ... Use The Force Pete!!"

"It's nothing personal, Sonny....... It's strictly business."

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1035680
06/09/22 03:12 AM
06/09/22 03:12 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Thanks, Irishman, : If you do see it again, please post a review.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Turnbull] #1035693
06/09/22 06:24 PM
06/09/22 06:24 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by Turnbull
Thanks, Irishman, : If you do see it again, please post a review.

Will do!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1035805
06/12/22 04:24 PM
06/12/22 04:24 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
HUSTLE

Adam Sandler gives another wonderful performance as Philadelphia 76ers scout Stanley Sugerman. Burnt out from scouting talent around the world and wanting to spend more time with his family, Stanley is promised his dream job of becoming an assistant coach in the NBA by 76ers owner Rex Merrick (Robert Duvall). However, Rex soon passes after making his promise and his son Vince (Ben Foster) takes over the day-to-day operations of the team and promises Stanley his coaching position if he can scout and sign the missing piece they need in order to win a NBA championship. Stanley finds his unicorn in Spain by the name of Bo Cruz (Juancho Hernangomez). However, having a criminal pass and being easy to manipulate mentally, Cruz struggles in various showcases, until Stanley can convince his best friend and NBA player agent Leon (Kenny Smith) to allow Bo to play in a pickup game in the Bronx with various scouts in attendance. A modern-day Rocky story that fails to deliver the same emotional punch with its underdog story of poverty and going up against the odds. Sandler once again spins a masterful performance as Stanley, a former college star who's career was suddenly halted due to an injury he sustained. Still driven by a passion for the game, he sacrifices everything from time away from his family to financial resources in order to reach his goal of coaching in the NBA. Plenty of NBA stars both past and present are here to validate the story (which LeBron James was a producer on). Overall, a decent way to spend 2 hours and Sandler's best performance since UNCUT GEMS but overall, this will be forgotten within a few weeks of its release. 6/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1036127
06/20/22 05:51 PM
06/20/22 05:51 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Fallen (1998) with Denzel Washington is an underrated and forgotten movie. James Gandolfini, John Goodman, Donald Sutherland and Elias Koteas make up the rest of the cast.

Washington stars as a detective investigating a string of murders linked to a serial killer who was put to death at the start of the movie.

Supernatural crime thriller with a unique premise which involves a Rolling Stones song in several memorably edited scenes.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1036266
06/23/22 10:21 PM
06/23/22 10:21 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE BLACK PHONE

Taking place in North Denver, 1978, THE BLACK PHONE stars siblings Finney (Mason Thames) and Gwen (Madeleine McGraw) with a serial killer on the loose who is abducting and killing young children. The media dubs him The Grabber, who's played by first-time villain, Ethan Hawke. The story is well paced but does open up with a few children being abducted, in order to build young Finney's fear of this boogeyman, as he soon becomes The Grabber's next victim. There is an old out-of-order rotary phone in the basement where he's being held; however, he somehow receives calls on it from other deceased victims of The Grabber and they assist Finney in his escape, giving him clues of how he can possibly break out that they previously tried. Finney's younger sister Gwen has a somewhat clairvoyant gift where sometimes her dreams are actually visions, a trait that was passed onto her by her recently deceased mother and is being raised by an alcoholic father, who wants her to believe her dreams aren't real in order to save her from a fate similar to her mother's. Doing any and everything within her power to save her older brother, Gwen ignores her father's protest and assists the police in their investigation. As much as I loved Hawke's first step over to the dark side (and he is very enjoyable in this), the children surprisingly are the real stars here. Foul-mouthed and stubborn, they remind you very much of the kids from IT. Both carry themselves extremely mature for such young actors (Mason being only 15 and Madeleine 14). However, their chemistry, affection, and bond truly pulls at your heartstrings throughout the film; especially since neither of them has the same type of relationship with their father, so they confide in each other. A wonderful film that I cannot wait to see again! Director and writer Scott Derrickson deserves a lot of credit and this is his best film to date. 9/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1036300
06/24/22 06:35 PM
06/24/22 06:35 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
ELVIS

Austin Butler turns in a terrific and I daresay Oscar-nominated worthy performance as The King himself, while veteran Tom Hanks fully supports him as the stars controversial manager Colonel Tom Parker. The film is told from Parker's POV, listing the many labels that have been placed upon him over the decades and I believe writer and director Baz Luhrmann did that intentionally to leave it up to the audience to decide his place in history. Even with a runtime of 159 minutes, it's a difficult task to compress the life and legacy of Elvis Presley within that time frame. Unfortunately, like many biopics made about musicians, they hit all of the major points audiences are familiar with while showing only a peak behind the scenes. Elvis' drug use and womanizing are here but only in bits. The film plays as a tragedy as the first rock 'n roll star the world has ever seen is overworked and sucked dry by Parker and family members. A good but not great film and honestly upon leaving the theater, I was a little disappointed. Had a lot of promise and the trailer piqued my interest but ultimately, the final product didn't deliver. 6/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1036579
07/01/22 08:39 PM
07/01/22 08:39 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
I just read all your reviews to my Wife, we really enjoy them and always look forward to sharing them when we get our movie binge on.

She is so excited to see ELVIS and even more so to see THE BLACK PHONE, after me reading your reviews.

Thanks for keeping these current and sharing with us all.

Thank you i12

We appreciate you.

Last edited by DuesPaid; 07/01/22 08:40 PM.

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1036583
07/01/22 09:17 PM
07/01/22 09:17 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Thanks DP. Would love to hear your thoughts on any movies I've reviewed.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1036691
07/04/22 05:53 PM
07/04/22 05:53 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
TERROR ON THE PRAIRIE

Montana, post-Civil war, finds the McAllister family (Jeb, Hattie, Will, and baby) struggling to make ends meet on their slice of Americana (having to borrow credit from the local grocery store in order to feed the family). One day while Jeb rides into town in order to find work, a gang of outlaws arrive on their property led by the silver-tongued, Bible spouting leader The Captain (Nick Searcy). Hattie (Gina Carano) is in charge while her husbands away and graciously offers the outlaws water and breakfast. While collecting eggs she discovers the true nature of this gangs intent and upon serving breakfast, forcefully requests they leave at gunpoint. The gang instead squats on their land, attempting to force Hattie and her children from their home in order to take them as hostages upon Jeb's arrival. What seems as a random sequence of events soon proves otherwise, as there's an ulterior motive for the outlaws visit onto their property. Gina Caraon's first role since being unjustly fired from role as Cara Dune in THE MANDALORIAN, I applaud The Daily Wire for picking up such a talent and putting her gifts to use. Based upon her own husbands description as being the toughest woman in the territory, it's not a stretch in the slightest for the audience to agree with that statement giving Gina's MMA background and prior Hollywood roles. She handles her own within the time period, spending time as both mother & protector. In addition to Carano, Nick Searcy deserves just as much credit here as the villain. He's a devilishly southern gentleman who charms his victims into obedience before striking. He's sinister, diabolical, and enjoyable all at the same time. Another hit from The Daily Wire that continues to give minority voices a platform and I eagerly anticipate Gina and TDW's next collaboration in WHITE KNUCKLE. 6.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1036729
07/05/22 08:51 PM
07/05/22 08:51 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
MEN

The film opens in London with our main character Harper (played wonderfully by Jessie Buckley); however, the next scene and the rest of the film takes place in the English countryside of Cotson, which is about 4 hours from London. Over the course of the film, we discover Harper has left London in order to have time to grieve and heal over the recent passing of her husband, whom she informed she'd be beginning divorce proceedings with. Her tranquil 2-week getaway is immediately interrupted by a series of men, each displaying prominent "toxic" male characteristics: there's a naked homeless man, the victim shamer, the good guy/protector, the cop who doesn't believe her many pleas, as well as her manipulative husband. All of these characters with the exception of the husband are all played by the same actor Rory Kinnear, who does a fantastic job flexing his range. There is a richness of ambiguity and imagery here left for the audience to devour, which is par for the course for writer/director Alex Garland, who also brought us EX-MACHINA and ANNIHILATION previously. And this doesn't even take into account the third act, which will leave the audience scratching their heads when the credits roll. A lot of questions are raised here with Garland I believe, posing them to the audience. This is a film where I don't believe there's a right or wrong answer but rather based upon interpretation. A24 is the only studio I will consistently take a chance on as they continue to challenge and expand cinema with their arthouse, original, and anti-formuliac films. 6/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1036854
07/07/22 09:35 PM
07/07/22 09:35 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER

The first star in the MCU to outlast a trilogy, THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER returns Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson), and Korg (also writer/director Taika Waititi). Originally, I was against this film as I felt a 4th entry was going back to the well one too many times and they were attempting to capitalize on the success of RAGNAROK. And in a lot of ways, it does and doesn't live up to the prior film in those regards; however, I was wrong about being against the film being made as the story is a powerful one to be told and reintroduces Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) to the franchise. Having not been seen in the MCU in 9 years since THOR: THE DARK WORLD, the story follows Foster who's been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. Left with few options, she seeks out Mjölnir in an attempt to save her as she reads over an old viking book stating the person who wields the hammer with gain great health. Thor meanwhile is still hanging with the Guardians of the Galaxy until they split off to assist those in need (Thor being called to track down Gorr the god Butcher, who's attacked Sif). During a fight in New Asgard, Jane and Thor's paths cross and the rest of the film is them attempting to reestablish their relationship, with simultaneously rescuing the children of New Asgard who have been taken hostage by Gorr. Once again, the film tries to recreate the same magic of RAGNAROK but is nowhere near as funny even though it struggles to be. And Thor once again is more of a "rock star" as many rock and a few choice Guns 'N Roses songs give the audience tunes to bounce to throughout. The real star here is Christian Bale as he is downright terrifying at times in full costume and in character. He's a man who's in pain due to an earlier loss he continues to carry with him and as such, has made it his mission to kill gods with his Necrosword. My second favorite aspect of the film is Russell Crowe's interpretation of Zeus. Loved his accent, his mannerisms, and the energy he brought to the role. Another satisfying entry into the MCU that'll make plenty of dollars at the box office and second best Thor film of the franchise behind RAGNAROK. 7/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1036972
07/10/22 02:31 AM
07/10/22 02:31 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
The Black Phone is well made. It is worth the price. I honestly believe it is going to be one of the top 5 movies of the year.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #1036999
07/10/22 03:51 PM
07/10/22 03:51 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii (1973)
This concert film was made four years before his death. The King looked great: he wasn't fat, ,his face was smooth, and his eyes only a bit drug-glazed, The TCB band and the chorus, directed by the immortal James Burton, was in peak form. Can't say the same for Elvis's voice, which sometimes warbled and wavered in the higher registers, though the lower ones were strong. He didn't move quite as much or as easily as when he was younger, but there is no doubt from this film that the audience was in the hands of the Master Entertainer, still able to work his unique magic effortlessly. Very entertaining.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1037013
07/10/22 06:31 PM
07/10/22 06:31 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
FATHER STU

Montana amateur boxer Stuart Long (Mark Wahlberg) has his career cut unexpectedly short due to jaw surgery. Needing to find a new way to support himself, he decides to move to LA in an attempt to break into Hollywood. However, like so many others, he goes relatively undiscovered with the exception of a few TV commercials but has to make ends meet working in the deli of a local supermarket. One day, he spots a beautiful woman by the name of Carmen (Teresa Ruiz) and attempts to ask her out while risking his job. When put to an ultimatum by his boss to get back to work, he gives up his pursuit until one day he asks a fellow coworker about the young woman he saw and the coworker points him in the direction of a flyer she asked to be posted in the supermarket about the Catholic church she attends. An atheist, Stuart attends mass in order to again speak to and ask out Carmen. Being raised in a traditional and conservative household, Carmen advises him her parents would forbid her from dating anyone who denies Christ. In order to gain her parents approval rather than a religious awakening, Stuart decides to get baptized as a Catholic. Once they've begun dating, Stuart gets into a near-death accident while riding his motorcycle. After waking up from his coma and having been visiting by the blessed Virgin Mary, Stuart decides to dedicate his life to God. While not being taken seriously by anyone, Stuart uses the tenacity that made him a great boxer to fight for his right and passion to be a priest. We're being indoctrinated today to believe that "representation is important." And while I believe a lot of it is nothing more than gas lighting, it is refreshing to see the pendulum swing the other way as conservative and Christian voices have been silenced for far too long in the pop culture sphere. And yes, while I am proud and practicing Catholic and I'm happy to see my religion represented onscreen, the film as a whole doesn't work for me until the final tear jerking third act. The film at times moves at a rapid pace and it's somewhat hard to buy into Stuart as he's a foul-mouthed, womanizer. Which I fully understand is what the crew was going for to make his transition to the priesthood all the more powerful, but again, it took me longer than I would have liked to be invested in this character and story. Wahlberg does a great job with his portrayal, again, especially in the closing scenes that really pull at the audiences heartstrings. Mel Gibson and Jacki Weaver support him as his parent Bill and Kathleen respectively who have very little redeeming qualities until the end. Bill, an alcoholic who blames Stuart for the death of their other child, who passed when he was 6 and Kathleen who doesn't support her son at all and tries to talk him out of his dream on multiple occasions. While this film overall missed the mark for me, I hope these types of stories will continue to be told as their is an audience for them. Don't believe me? Look no further than THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST. 5.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1037019
07/10/22 11:16 PM
07/10/22 11:16 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
"Candy" w/ Heath Ledger & Abby Cornish....Like I said b4 in this thread...I can't break down plots like I 12 ..but they happen on addiction & r in mad love , ,but f,,cked up predicaments get them into all kinds of disturbing ailments & situations....just watch please , the great movie that it is....we (my wife actually) found it on amazon prime???...is that an actual channel?..Please find & watch..ul b happy I told u so.

Page 77 of 91 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 90 91

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull