GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (CNote), 132 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,461
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,873
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,321
Posts1,058,537
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. [Re: ImpactPlaya] #653874
06/30/12 02:34 PM
06/30/12 02:34 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: ImpactPlaya
John Scalish Cleveland boss

Do you have any other information on John Scalish? I'd be very interested.

Did Henry Hill ever kill anyone? On a drunken Howard Stern appearance he says yes, three times but who know with him.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. [Re: NickyScarfo] #653892
06/30/12 03:28 PM
06/30/12 03:28 PM
Orange County, CA
Nicholas Offline
Underboss
Nicholas  Offline
Underboss
Orange County, CA
Was Scalish's real name Scalise?

"The Feds are a business Anthony, millions of tax dollars are invested in watching your ass, sooner or later, just like you, their gonna want a return on their investment." --- Neil Mink, Tony Soprano's lawyer
Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: NickyScarfo] #653900
06/30/12 04:20 PM
06/30/12 04:20 PM
Ted Offline
Underboss
Ted  Offline
Underboss
I can't imagine any of the young Turks who became bosses not killing at least one person. Between the fight for the booze rackets and the war between Masseria and Maranzano how couldnt have they?

"I die outside; I die in jail. It don't matter to me," -John Franzese
Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: NickyScarfo] #653905
06/30/12 05:06 PM
06/30/12 05:06 PM
Orange County, CA
Nicholas Offline
Underboss
Nicholas  Offline
Underboss
Orange County, CA
It was also a helluva lot easier to get away with murder back then Ted

"The Feds are a business Anthony, millions of tax dollars are invested in watching your ass, sooner or later, just like you, their gonna want a return on their investment." --- Neil Mink, Tony Soprano's lawyer
Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: NickyScarfo] #653930
06/30/12 07:29 PM
06/30/12 07:29 PM
Ted Offline
Underboss
Ted  Offline
Underboss
Exactly. And Prohibition lasted 13 years and everyone if them was a bloody one. Anybody who made it out alive had to have done it by the "kill or get killed" method. All those young Turks that became bosses had to have committed multiple murders.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: Joe_Bonanno] #653940
06/30/12 09:22 PM
06/30/12 09:22 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Originally Posted By: Joe_Bonanno
Originally Posted By: Camarel
Originally Posted By: Joe_Bonanno
Don Carlo worked as a hitman from a very young age, he killed people I'm almost 100% sure

Where did you hear this out of interest?

I've heard it from one documentary when I find it, I'll post it to you.

Ok thanks was it when he was in the honored society in sicily ?

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: NickyScarfo] #653941
06/30/12 09:24 PM
06/30/12 09:24 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Did scarfo or ligambi kill anyone? If scarfo didn't that is very ironic lol

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: Camarel] #653945
06/30/12 09:31 PM
06/30/12 09:31 PM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
didnt scarfo stab that guy to death with a big knife somewhere in a diner in south jersey? besides that, with scarfo i think everyone would agree that he ordered so many murders personally that it made no difference if he did it personally himself or not as he shared the same amount of responsibility as any of the murderers directly involved.

Last edited by Five_Felonies; 06/30/12 09:32 PM.

It's either blue cheese with wings or go fuck yer mudda!
Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. [Re: Camarel] #653947
06/30/12 09:36 PM
06/30/12 09:36 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss

Ligambi allegedly was the murderer of Frankie Flowers D'Alfonso, but was acquitted. Scarfo killed that longshoreman with a knife in a diner (and was banished to AC for it).

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. [Re: BarrettM] #653950
06/30/12 09:53 PM
06/30/12 09:53 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Originally Posted By: BarrettM

Ligambi allegedly was the murderer of Frankie Flowers D'Alfonso, but was acquitted. Scarfo killed that longshoreman with a knife in a diner (and was banished to AC for it).

What about merlino sorry for all the questions just don't know as much as you guys lol

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: SC] #653962
06/30/12 10:13 PM
06/30/12 10:13 PM
D
danielperrygin Offline
Underboss
danielperrygin  Offline
D
Underboss
Originally Posted By: SC
Originally Posted By: danielperrygin
According to pic chin missed on purpose. I will find th post and put it up, there is a couple telling of reasons why. Th main one is that Chin and Vito would have had to have been killed if they would have carried out the hit.

Don't believe the "play-by-the-rules" bullshit. Mob bosses were getting killed left and right in the 50s without any retribution. Genovese's biggest mistake was picking someone who got rattled around the ring too often to do the shooting.

Originally Posted By: "lucky7"

As far as Costello goes....Vito didn't intend to kill him,if he had,and Chin actually was the shooter Chin never succeeds in his ride to the top,instead he takes a 'ride' the same night one way.If the move was to kill him regardless of the shooter he dies if he was successfull.It was a delicate piece of 'work' by some one well trained not to kill him.
Costello's shooting was a bargaining tool.Nothing more,nothing less.It was also some very intricate political stuff,Alberts murder was Vito's give back for Carlo's support.Probably the other 3 bosses as well.

YUP!

1.If they missed the first time they should have been able to get the job done over the next 16 years.
2.The commission was all powerfull at the time and killing Frank means death to all involved.Vito died in 69.....Miranda when???Catena???Carlo???
Point being they all died of natural causes.
3.What is never written about is that they were on the 'mattresses' for a year or so before the shooting.Very uneasy 'calm'.All the 47 and 54 guys laying low.Frank gets 'shot' and everything was put in place where it pretty much remains today.

Vito didn't have much of a fan club lol,what he had was animal instinct to survive and was a stone killer.He kills Costello he gets clipped.He lets Costello live he has a bargaining chip.

No more moves on Frank and no moves on him.Plus Carlo becomes boss and they become allies by attrition.

Vito doesn't get his just due.All the 54 guys were 'his' hand picked choices.Frank was busy with the opera and Keafaufer.Probably the best graduating class in the history of Cosa Nostra....one foot in the past[tradition] and one foot pointed in a new direction.Vito bought in a Jersey guy as his under[Catena] and kept a mustasche as his consigliere as to not alienate the old guard and the NY guys.He brings in as his under a guy with so much money he didn't need the top spot and to much smarts to want it.....life without looking over your shoulder by design is a sign of genius.Plus he gets wired in nationally to the old syndicate,especially to the Jews who were shaping Vegas.Lansky was a Costello crony,Catena wires Vito in nationally where he hadn't be really welcome.He could blast through walls but using a door is easier,and Catena had the key.He was smart enough to choose Catena and that makes him a great boss if he never does another thing.Another thing is that Vito understood that a system of checks and balances is essential to maintaining power,so he created this shifting sands delegation of authority.I don't know if he sat down and planned this,doubt it.But in retrospect it is pure genius.He was dead 43 a month or so back and you can still reach into the well of the administration and find his thumb print all over the place.
Pic

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: danielperrygin] #653972
06/30/12 10:48 PM
06/30/12 10:48 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
According to pic chin missed on purpose. I will find th post and put it up, there is a couple telling of reasons why. Th main one is that Chin and Vito would have had to have been killed if they would have carried out the hit.

Don't believe the "play-by-the-rules" bullshit. Mob bosses were getting killed left and right in the 50s without any retribution. Genovese's biggest mistake was picking someone who got rattled around the ring too often to do the shooting.

As far as Costello goes....Vito didn't intend to kill him,if he had,and Chin actually was the shooter Chin never succeeds in his ride to the top,instead he takes a 'ride' the same night one way.If the move was to kill him regardless of the shooter he dies if he was successfull.It was a delicate piece of 'work' by some one well trained not to kill him.
Costello's shooting was a bargaining tool.Nothing more,nothing less.It was also some very intricate political stuff,Alberts murder was Vito's give back for Carlo's support.Probably the other 3 bosses as well.

YUP!

1.If they missed the first time they should have been able to get the job done over the next 16 years.
2.The commission was all powerfull at the time and killing Frank means death to all involved.Vito died in 69.....Miranda when???Catena???Carlo???
3.What is never written about is that they were on the 'mattresses' for a year or so before the shooting.Very uneasy 'calm'.All the 47 and 54 guys laying low.Frank gets 'shot' and everything was put in place where it pretty much remains today.

Vito didn't have much of a fan club lol,what he had was animal instinct to survive and was a stone killer.He kills Costello he gets clipped.He lets Costello live he has a bargaining chip.

No more moves on Frank and no moves on him.Plus Carlo becomes boss and they become allies by attrition.

Vito doesn't get his just due.All the 54 guys were 'his' hand picked choices.Frank was busy with the opera and Keafaufer.Probably the best graduating class in the history of Cosa Nostra....one foot in the past[tradition] and one foot pointed in a new direction.Vito bought in a Jersey guy as his under[Catena] and kept a mustasche as his consigliere as to not alienate the old guard and the NY guys.He brings in as his under a guy with so much money he didn't need the top spot and to much smarts to want it.....life without looking over your shoulder by design is a sign of genius.Plus he gets wired in nationally to the old syndicate,especially to the Jews who were shaping Vegas.Lansky was a Costello crony,Catena wires Vito in nationally where he hadn't be really welcome.He could blast through walls but using a door is easier,and Catena had the key.He was smart enough to choose Catena and that makes him a great boss if he never does another thing.Another thing is that Vito understood that a system of checks and balances is essential to maintaining power,so he created this shifting sands delegation of authority.I don't know if he sat down and planned this,doubt it.But in retrospect it is pure genius.He was dead 43 a month or so back and you can still reach into the well of the administration and find his thumb print all over the place.
Pic

Are you reffering to me asking if the chin ever killed anyone?

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: NickyScarfo] #653973
06/30/12 10:50 PM
06/30/12 10:50 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Didn't "lucky" say he was retiring from posting... like...3 years ago? "I'm an old man, and I'm dyiiiiinggggggg." rolleyes

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: Camarel] #653984
07/01/12 01:24 AM
07/01/12 01:24 AM
Orange County, CA
Nicholas Offline
Underboss
Nicholas  Offline
Underboss
Orange County, CA

Next to the old Petes I think Scarfo was the only mob boss (if not even across ethnic lines for the most part) who took part in murders or played an extensive part in planning some, i.e. Vincent Falcone, Alvin Feldman, Eddie Helfant, he also interrogated Joe Ciancaglini at gun point.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: NickyScarfo] #653989
07/01/12 02:42 AM
07/01/12 02:42 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
i think that Frank Costello never pulled the trigger...but a lot of ppl where gone on his orders

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: NickyScarfo] #654031
07/01/12 01:31 PM
07/01/12 01:31 PM
D
danielperrygin Offline
Underboss
danielperrygin  Offline
D
Underboss
Unless someone is posting as him he is still around. He doesnt post alot unless to answer a question or say something of his interests. Him and wiseguy(no offense ivy jus filling tag in) kinda got into it and he hasnt been around much since then.

Last edited by danielperrygin; 07/01/12 01:43 PM.
Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: Camarel] #654034
07/01/12 01:45 PM
07/01/12 01:45 PM
D
danielperrygin Offline
Underboss
danielperrygin  Offline
D
Underboss

YUP!

Pic

Naw more to SC saying Chin had bad aim.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: Camarel] #654043
07/01/12 02:08 PM
07/01/12 02:08 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York

Naw more to SC saying Chin had bad aim.

I gave you my best answer to this and I stand by it. Believe it or don't; that's up to you. I ask one thing, though.... please use the quote feature correctly. It's hard to follow what you're trying to convey if used incorrectly. Thanks.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: NickyScarfo] #654044
07/01/12 02:13 PM
07/01/12 02:13 PM
D
danielperrygin Offline
Underboss
danielperrygin  Offline
D
Underboss
Thanks for the advice, personally i got no problem saying i dont have a clue what really happened. Just trying to offer up someones opinion i found interesting because it was different from the norm,not attack your post skip.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: danielperrygin] #654047
07/01/12 02:42 PM
07/01/12 02:42 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Unless someone is posting as him he is still around. He doesnt post alot unless to answer a question or say something of his interests. Him and wiseguy(no offense ivy jus filling tag in) kinda got into it and he hasnt been around much since then.

No need to fill me in. I was being sarcastic. I'm well aware of Lucky's come and go antics. He's made several "I'm outta here from now on, I will never post again" threads over the years.

Now on to watch my game. Forza Italia.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: NickyScarfo] #654054
07/01/12 02:48 PM
07/01/12 02:48 PM
D
danielperrygin Offline
Underboss
danielperrygin  Offline
D
Underboss
Lol i dunko why i felt the need to gossip, i know you really dont care.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: danielperrygin] #654059
07/01/12 03:07 PM
07/01/12 03:07 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Regarding Lucky7´s post, I don´t see any solid arguments backing up his claim. It seems to me that he is mostly rambling. I understand that he is expressing his opinion which is fine, but hopefully there was somebody overthere who challanged his assertions.

SC is right. Back then Gigante had a reputation of somebody who had been hit too many times on the chin. I guess as a former boxer, and not a very good one, contributed to this reputation.
Don´t get me wrong though. As a boss, he seems to have been as smart and clever as any other boss throughout Mafia history.

[Linked Image]
Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: NickyScarfo] #654063
07/01/12 04:01 PM
07/01/12 04:01 PM
D
danielperrygin Offline
Underboss
danielperrygin  Offline
D
Underboss
Everyone was against but you must think his thoughts are backrd up by events that occured. How do a Vito and Chn live if they kill Frank? If they really wanted to kill him why didnt they?

What do you consider a good boxer hairy? 21-4 not a decent pro record? He had a 2nd ko at MSG.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: NickyScarfo] #654065
07/01/12 04:08 PM
07/01/12 04:08 PM
Ted Offline
Underboss
Ted  Offline
Underboss
Gigante was 21-4 as a boxer. So he definitely wasn't bad.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: HairyKnuckles] #654087
07/01/12 06:34 PM
07/01/12 06:34 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Regarding Lucky7´s post, I don´t see any solid arguments backing up his claim. It seems to me that he is mostly rambling. I understand that he is expressing his opinion which is fine, but hopefully there was somebody overthere who challanged his assertions.

SC is right. Back then Gigante had a reputation of somebody who had been hit too many times on the chin. I guess as a former boxer, and not a very good one, contributed to this reputation.
Don´t get me wrong though. As a boss, he seems to have been as smart and clever as any other boss throughout Mafia history.

You pretty much said it. It's fine for pic/lucky7 to express his opinion. Though I'm not sure how he could really know that Chin missing was intentional. But, in any event, the problem comes that some people take what he says as gospel, and eventually, it's taken as fact that Chin really did intend to miss because, well, pic said so.

In my opinion, it's very unlikely that there was any intention to just "graze" Costello. How realistic is that? I think Chin had every intention of blowing Costello away.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 07/01/12 06:35 PM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: NickyScarfo] #654091
07/01/12 06:47 PM
07/01/12 06:47 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Lucky7 is ok. I'm glad he hasn't died of cancer like he said he was years ago. I'll never forget when he said to me, "Tag, I want you to call me 'Bitch Tits Lenehan' from now on."
I laughed and told him I couldn't do that, it wouldn't be right.

Last edited by carmela; 07/01/12 06:47 PM.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: Ted] #654094
07/01/12 06:55 PM
07/01/12 06:55 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Ted

Your argument doesn't hold water.
1. Pro boxing in the '50s wasn't exactly a clean sport. A young connected fighter's record may not indicate the true worth of the boxer.
2. Who did Gigante fight? Could've been a bunch of old club bums.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: carmela] #654098
07/01/12 08:14 PM
07/01/12 08:14 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: carmela
Lucky7 is ok. I'm glad he hasn't died of cancer like he said he was years ago. I'll never forget when he said to me, "Tag, I want you to call me 'Bitch Tits Lenehan' from now on."
I laughed and told him I couldn't do that, it wouldn't be right.

Philly actually started a thread with that title in the Sit Down recently.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... [Re: SC] #654105
07/01/12 09:06 PM
07/01/12 09:06 PM
D
danielperrygin Offline
Underboss
danielperrygin  Offline
D
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Ted

Your argument doesn't hold water.
1. Pro boxing in the '50s wasn't exactly a clean sport. A young connected fighter's record may not indicate the true worth of the boxer.
2. Who did Gigante fight? Could've been a bunch of old club bums.

If those are the times he boxed in so be it, he is a winner. I hear what your saying but thats like saying Bonds was not a good batter because he was on the juice, well so were the pitchers. Chin had his connections and so did everyone else. Im sure Chin was gave a few and gave away a few, but its not like all 25 fights had big money that mattered on it.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. [Re: BarrettM] #654110
07/01/12 09:23 PM
07/01/12 09:23 PM
Cleveland,Ohio
I
ImpactPlaya Offline
Wiseguy
ImpactPlaya  Offline
I
Wiseguy
Cleveland,Ohio
There isn't much on John Scalish (Giovanni Scalise)
But he rose fast in the family ranks.
he was a stick up man and took the rap for a robbery in the early 30's
He got a early pardon.
He was a lieutinent under Big Al Polizzi.
When Polizzi had made enough $$$$,he "retired" to Florida.
Because Scalish took the rap and didn't sell anybody out on that robbery of a bottling company,they made him boss at the Statler Hotel in Cleveland in 1944.
He was able to successfully merge business interests with the Jewish boys..Maishe Rockman, Shonder Birns.
But Dalitz, Tucker, Milano, already formed the "Combination" a decade earlier.
Scalish just did what was working well.
But after the Applachian Bust in 1957 with John DeMarco...Scalish decided to stop making new members. Closed the books. He had enough $$$$. Skim $$$,
casinos in Southern Ohio...gambling proceeds from Youngstown...his vending sevice....
At this time his health was slowly going south.
He moved out Kinsman Road(ghetto) in Cleveland to Gates Mills(Eastern Suburb) in 1964. Rockman and Lonardo moved to the same suburb.
Scalish was so well off,he gave the numbers rackets to Shonder Birns.
Intresting side note about Scalish.....the guys beneath him...Frank Brancato, Dominic Sospirato(Ange's cousin) John DeMarco, Anthony Milano all spoke in their old country dialects...Sicilian, Calabresian.....but Scalish didn't have a accent...I guess part of that being he was born in Cleveland.
I do know at some point Scalish instructed all his capos, and street bosses to drive Buicks instead of Cadillacs.
But Scalish was a very low key boss was very much in the shadows. He was close to Mickey Cohen and Jackie Pressers dad Bill Presser.
I don't think he imposed a street tax like that do in Chicago.
He lets all his underlings make their own money. Every earned under Scalish.
I don't he had "green eyes"

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull