GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Irishman12), 315 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,322
Posts1,058,593
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
could some please like give me a list of characters to real life mobsters #40029
07/27/06 03:30 PM
07/27/06 03:30 PM
Connecticut
finsnasty84 Offline OP
Button
finsnasty84  Offline OP
Button
Connecticut
Like i know Roth most closely resembles Meyer Lansky

but does anyone know other ones?

gdfella
Re: could some please like give me a list of characters to real life mobsters #40030
07/27/06 03:37 PM
07/27/06 03:37 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

This has been the topic of may previous discussions and threads.

Vito Corleone is probably a composite figure made up of several real life dons.

Moe Green is prpbably Bugsy Siegel

Johnny Fontaine is probably Frank Sinatra.

Turnbull, where are you when we need you?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: could some please like give me a list of characters to real life mobsters #40031
07/27/06 06:16 PM
07/27/06 06:16 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Just a few:

Clemenza - Joe Profaci

Pentangeli - Joe Magliocco

Rosatto Bros. - Gallo Bros.

Johnny Ola - Joey Alo

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: could some please like give me a list of characters to real life mobsters #40032
07/27/06 06:38 PM
07/27/06 06:38 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by dontomasso:
Turnbull, where are you when we need you?
Gosh... blush
Here is a repeat of a previous post on this subject:

WHO’S WHO IN “THE GODFATHER TRILOGY”

Mario Puzo has said that he drew on only two scenes from his own experience in writing “The Godfather”: guns being passed between apartment windows, and a widow evicted because of a dog. But many of the characters in both the book and the “Saga” are drawn from real life:

Close Fit:

Johnny Fontane = Frank Sinatra: Washed-up, teen-idol crooner with fealty to the Mob; role in war movie puts him back on top; sluttish, movie-star ex-wife.

Hyman Roth = Meyer Lansky: Jewish adviser to Mafia; “always makes money for his partners”; tight with president of Cuba; started out as a truck mechanic and got connected during Prohibition; fled to Israel and South America to escape Justice Dept.

Moe Green = Bugsy Siegel: Pal of Jewish adviser to Mob; “headstrong, talking loud, saying stupid things”; “city he invented was Las Vegas”; “someone put a bullet in his eye.”

Johnny Ola = Vincent (Jimmy Blue Eyes) Alo: “Sicilian messenger boy” to Lansky [N.B.: Name is an anagram.]

Joey Zasa = Joe Columbo/John Gotti: Meucci Society = Italian-American Civil Rights League; “Best-Dressed Mobster”; publicity hound; shot at Italian-American event.

Rosato Brothers = Gallo Brothers: Renegade faction in Mob family declares war on Don (Joe Profaci); Joey Gallo recruits blacks and Hispanics while in jail; “leave the gambling for last.” [N.B.: Eldest brother Larry was garroted in the back of Brooklyn’s Sahara Lounge after-hours in 1960 and was saved by a NYC cop who happened by—the basis of the Frank Pentangeli-Rosato Brothers scene, but with roles reversed.]

Stretch Fit:

Vito Corleone = Frank Costello: Most powerful of Five Families; “had all the judges in New York in his pocket”; primary business was gambling and unions; retired after being shot by rival mobster. [N.B.: Some fans believe Lucky Luciano was the model because he arranged for the death of Joe “The Boss” Masseria at a restaurant (in the book, Vito Corleone arranged for the death of “Maranzalla” at a restaurant). But Luciano dealt in prostitution and drugs, was convicted and sentenced to 40 years in jail, and was deported. Vito Corleone deplored prostitution and drugs, and never went to jail.]

Emilio Barzini = Vito Genovese: Tried to kill rival to become Capo di Tutti Capi; attempted to make move on drugs at gangster convention (Apalachin). But: Genovese died in jail; Barzini was killed.

-2-

Frankie Pentangeli = Joe Magliocco: Weak successor to strong Don (Profaci); beleaguered by rival faction (see Rosato Brothers/Gallo Brothers); attempt to move against stronger Don backfires. But: Magliocco died of a heart attack, Pentangeli turned state’s evidence and killed himself.

Peter Clemenza = Frank Labruzzo (Bonanno Family): Top capo to Don (Bonanno) stayed loyal to son of Don (Bill Bonanno) during gang war; philosophical bent. But: Labruzzo died of cancer before being permitted to form own family. [N.B.: Richard Castellano played Labruzzo in the TV movie, “Honor Thy Father.”]

Sal Tessio = Gaspar Di Gregorio (Bonanno Family): Top capo to Don (Bonanno) betrayed Don and son by siding with rival Don (Stefano Maggaddino) in return for being named head of his own family. But: Di Gregorio died of heart attack; Tessio was taken for a ride by Willie Cicci.

Fredo Corleone = Thomas Gambino: Weak son of Capo di Tutti Capi is passed over, given “legit” businesses to run. But: Garment Center trucking is not a “Mickey Mouse nightclub”; Fredo was killed after betrying his brother; Tommy is still alive.

Luca Brasi = Willie Moretti: Legendary strong-armer; “can do a job of murder all by himself”; “most valued friend” of Joe Bonanno and other Mob bosses; killed by the Mob (probably Vito Genovese). But: Moretti was killed by agreement among several Dons because his tertiary syphilis was causing him to become loose-lipped.

No Fit:

Michael Corleone. No son ever succeeded his father as Don, much less surpassed his father. But: Salvatore (Bill) Bonanno was being groomed as his father’s successor until the “Banana Wars” caused his father’s retirement and Bill’s imprisonment on credit card fraud charges. Also: John Gotti designated his son as Don, but Junior wasn’t even able to run a phone-card scam successfully, was not accepted by many factions in the Family, and is in trouble with the law.
Tom Hagen. No non-Italian has ever served, officially, as a Family’s consigliere. But: Meyer Lansky was unofficial consigliere to all the Five Families and several out-of-town mobs; Jake Guzik served as Al Capone’s mentor and business manager.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: could some please like give me a list of characters to real life mobsters #40033
07/27/06 06:43 PM
07/27/06 06:43 PM
Ann Arbor
S
stavka Offline
Made Member
stavka  Offline
S
Made Member
Ann Arbor
Lakeland Road Boys = Mayfield Road Gang (of Cleveland)

Don Zaluchi = Joe Zerilli (of Detroit)

Joey Zsa Zsa = John Gotti

Don Altobello = Eli Wallach as the 3rd Mister Freeze in Batman
(at least his performance and casting are comparable)

"I don't shine shoes no more..."
Re: could some please like give me a list of characters to real life mobsters #40034
07/27/06 11:24 PM
07/27/06 11:24 PM
Texas
R
Robert DeNiro Offline
Button
Robert DeNiro  Offline
R
Button
Texas
Tom Hagen = Bruce Cutler???

Fredo, you're my older brother and I love you, but dont ever take sides with anyone against the family again
Re: could some please like give me a list of characters to real life mobsters #40035
07/28/06 01:17 AM
07/28/06 01:17 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by Robert DeNiro:
Tom Hagen = Bruce Cutler???
Please tell me you are kidding.

Re: could some please like give me a list of characters to real life mobsters #40036
07/28/06 08:05 AM
07/28/06 08:05 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by SC:
Originally posted by Robert DeNiro:
[b] Tom Hagen = Bruce Cutler???
Please tell me you are kidding. [/b]
Why do you think he is kidding?

Think about the senate hearing scene in GFII when Hagen screams demnanding an apology from the senators. Not at all unlike the way that Cutler screamed at the courtroom demanding an apology when Gotti was aquitted.

Perhaps Robert DuVall studied the Gotti trial and Bruce Cutler's style.

Huh? What's that you say? GFII was made in 1974 and the Gotti trial was in 1987? Oh, really.

Well maybe Duvall went Back To The Future or Somewhere In Time.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: could some please like give me a list of characters to real life mobsters #40037
07/28/06 08:39 AM
07/28/06 08:39 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Senator Geary --- About 3/4 of all elected officials

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: could some please like give me a list of characters to real life mobsters #40038
07/28/06 08:46 AM
07/28/06 08:46 AM
Peter_Clemenza Offline
Underboss
Peter_Clemenza  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Luca Brasi = Willie Moretti: Legendary strong-armer; “can do a job of murder all by himself”; “most valued friend” of Joe Bonanno and other Mob bosses; killed by the Mob (probably Vito Genovese). But: Moretti was killed by agreement among several Dons because his tertiary syphilis was causing him to become loose-lipped.
Willie Moretti is also believed to have "persuaded" Tommy Dorsey to release Frank Sinatra from his contract with him, like Luca Brasi is believed to have done the same to Les Halley to get him to release Johnny Fontane from his contract with him.

Re: could some please like give me a list of characters to real life mobsters #40039
07/28/06 11:17 AM
07/28/06 11:17 AM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Santino isn't named after anybody?

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: could some please like give me a list of characters to real life mobsters #40040
07/28/06 12:03 PM
07/28/06 12:03 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Okay for the most part Turnbull. But I take issue with Vito = Costello (me, Bonanno)and Clemenza = Labruzzo (me, Profaci).

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: could some please like give me a list of characters to real life mobsters #40041
07/28/06 12:11 PM
07/28/06 12:11 PM
New York City
TommyCorleone1967 Offline
Wiseguy
TommyCorleone1967  Offline
Wiseguy
New York City
Originally posted by stavka:
Lakeland Road Boys = Mayfield Road Gang (of Cleveland)

Don Zaluchi = Joe Zerilli (of Detroit)

Joey Zsa Zsa = John Gotti

Don Altobello = Eli Wallach as the 3rd Mister Freeze in Batman
(at least his performance and casting are comparable)
And for extra credit who were the other two Mr. Freeze's on the Batman TV show? And when are they going to release those shows oN DVD? West, Ward and Craig, as well as Newmar are still alive, they could do commentary.

It's not personal, it's strictly business.
Re: could some please like give me a list of characters to real life mobsters #40042
07/28/06 12:48 PM
07/28/06 12:48 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by olivant:
Okay for the most part Turnbull. But I take issue with Vito = Costello (me, Bonanno)and Clemenza = Labruzzo (me, Profaci).
Vito is a composite, and he does have elements of Bonanno--both wanted their sons to succeed them, both had two close capos, one who betrayed them, the other who stayed loyal. For that matter, Vito, like Profaci, was the largest importer of olive oil in the US. But I think he's most like Costello for the reasons cited.
I don't see a connection between Clemenza and Profaci. Clemenza was under Vito for decades, and apparently stayed under Michael until he died. Profaci, as a young man, was made the Don of his family by Salvatore Maranzano after the Castellemmarese War of 1930-31 and remained the Don until his death in 1964.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: could some please like give me a list of characters to real life mobsters #40043
07/28/06 11:41 PM
07/28/06 11:41 PM
Martin Joseph Offline
Button
Martin Joseph  Offline
Button
actually Vito Corleone was influenced by one Carmine Sabatini aka Jimmy The Toucan, and if you don't believe me, just watch the freshman. grin

Re: could some please like give me a list of characters to real life mobsters #40044
07/30/06 04:37 PM
07/30/06 04:37 PM
Ann Arbor
S
stavka Offline
Made Member
stavka  Offline
S
Made Member
Ann Arbor
Carmine was a very caring man, especially for the old people, never very political....

"I don't shine shoes no more..."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull