GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 366 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,428
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,507
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,307
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison #624717
12/14/11 07:19 AM
12/14/11 07:19 AM
Balkans
Strax Offline OP
Underboss
Strax  Offline OP
Underboss
Balkans

A Stamford man who authorities allege is a Gambino crime family associate has been sentenced to five years in prison for loan sharking and illegally possessing ammunition.

Seventy-nine-year-old Nicola Melia was also fined $50,000 and ordered to forfeit more than $250,000 during his sentencing Monday in federal court in New Haven. He pleaded guilty in September.

Federal prosecutors say Melia made loans to a Fairfield County resident totaling about $155,000 beginning in May 2000. Authorities say the unnamed resident paid nearly $400,000 in interest, including about $250,000 in interest on a $10,000 initial loan.

Melia has two other convictions in the past 11 years. He was sentenced to four months in a halfway house in 2000 for tax fraud and got nearly three years in prison in 2005 for racketeering.

"A fish with his mouth closed never get's caught"
Re: Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison [Re: Strax] #624719
12/14/11 07:27 AM
12/14/11 07:27 AM
US
H
HermitKermit Offline
Made Member
HermitKermit  Offline
H
Made Member
US
5 years ain't so bad for the money he was getting.

Re: Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison [Re: Strax] #624775
12/14/11 03:12 PM
12/14/11 03:12 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: Strax

A Stamford man who authorities allege is a Gambino crime family associate has been sentenced to five years in prison for loan sharking and illegally possessing ammunition.

Seventy-nine-year-old Nicola Melia...

Should we put this guy on the "fast rising mafioso list?"

smile

[Linked Image]
Re: Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison [Re: Strax] #624784
12/14/11 03:49 PM
12/14/11 03:49 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
wasnt this guy in a capeci article or a previous article where they said this guy declined to be made into the gambinos? im like 99% positive the did

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison [Re: Strax] #624793
12/14/11 03:59 PM
12/14/11 03:59 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Here you go

Judge rejects $1 million bond request for mob figure

A federal judge rejected a $1 million request to release a reputed Gambino crime family connected loanshark adding that only "24/7 supervision" would protect the public from Nicola Melia.
"And that is not possible," said U.S. District Magistrate Judge Holly B. Fitzsimmons who released Melia on $5 million in 2004 only to be later told by federal investigators that Melia conducted meetings and loaned money in his then 96-year-old mother's nursing home room.
"I do not regard Mr. Melia as someone the court can trust," she said. "I can not fathom what conditions could be fashioned to protect the community."
Melia, 78, of Bushwood Road, Stamford, is expected to be indicted next week on charges of making extortionate loans and using threats to collect the money.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Hal Chen said Melia has "hundreds of thousands in loans on the street ... his home functions as a bank for his loan-sharking activities. For him to go back there would be misguided."
The prosecutor said a search of Melia's home last week led to the seizure of 40 hollow-point bullets, papers and notes, which corroborate the loan-sharking business, a DEA badge, a switch blade, a billy club and cash.
The prosecutor said Melia is still on U.S. Probation supervision as a result of a 2005 racketeering conviction involving Gambino and Patriarca crime family figures that landed him a 33-month federal prison stint. The supervision does not end until September and most probably will result in it being violated, which could add more prison time.
In 2000, Melia did four months in federal prison for under reporting $150,000 on his 1994 return.
Because of these felony convictions, Melia is not allowed to possess a gun or ammunition.
Victor Sherman, one of Melia's lawyers, suggested that Melia be confined to his home wearing an electronic monitoring device after posting the equity in property he owns at 20 Bushwood Road and 36 Starin Drive, both in Stamford. The New York lawyer said his client suffers from numerous medical conditions, all of which are "life threatening."
Sherman said the arrest warrant alleges Melia lent $375,000 to an individual, but also told him "as long as I am alive no one is going to hurt you."
But Chen added that the recorded quote is preceded by the words "They got a big crew. They go in the house and kill people."
The borrower, who reportedly has a substance abuse problem, allegedly set up a burglary at Melia's home last fall in which the reputed organized crime figure and his wife were bound and gagged before the assailants fled with money and jewelry, Sherman charged.
Melia reportedly told federal authorities he turned down an offer to become a `made' member of organized crime.
The defendant's 39-year-old son, Philip, was arrested by Stamford police last week on assault and criminal mischief charges for allegedly beating one of the robbers.

http://fivefamiliesnyc.blogspot.com/2011/04/judge-rejects-1-million-bond-request.html

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison [Re: Dapper_Don] #624812
12/14/11 05:21 PM
12/14/11 05:21 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Nick Melia isn't a made guy in the American mob (Gambino family), and his boast about turning down his button was probably just that, a boast.

It was always rumored that he was made "on the other side," but not here. And by "the other side," I mean a Calabrian-Canadian cell of some kind, because his older brother Vincenzo was a heavyweight go-between between a Canadian-Calabrian cell and the Stamford area Gambinos from as far back as the '70s.

As far as the Connecticut Gambinos, he has worked with whoever the power of the moment happens to be. From Frank Piccolo to Tommy DeBrizzi to Tony Megale. He's been around the Stamford-Fairfield area forever, and he IS a major league shylock, so he has to pay "rent" to someone.

And I really laughed my ass off when someone posted "is he an up and coming wiseguy," because it was a funny line. But the truth is, his mother lived to be a hundred years old, and I understand that he takes right after her. So this may not be the end for him. If he comes out healthy, he'll hit the street again. It's just his way.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison [Re: pizzaboy] #648135
05/21/12 11:18 AM
05/21/12 11:18 AM
A
antimafia Offline
Underboss
antimafia  Offline
A
Underboss
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PB:

For the past few years, Nick Melia, his brother Vincenzo, and other Calabrian organized-crime figures in Connecticut have been of great interest to me because of the links they have had to one particular Canadian 'ndrangheta clan in the Greater Toronto Area -- the Commissos -- and to Michele "Mike" Racco (died 1980) who lived in Toronto. Racco was seen as an influential 'ndrangheta figure in Canada and the US, and he commanded respect from disparate Italian organized-crime groups in both countries. I wanted to ask you some questions about these Connecticut guys and others, but first let me share some of my research. (Anyone else who wants to chime in or answer my questions, please do.) I should initially point out that American law-enforcement and intelligence-gathering units were quite instrumental in uncovering the roots of the Siderno Mafia in North America and how this group operated on this continent.

The excerpt below is from James Dubro's 1985 book Mob rule: inside the Canadian Mafia. This important book is part biography of Toronto-based Buffalo Family member Paul Volpe and part exposition of the Siderno Group in Canada. This excerpt has personal information about Vince Melia, illustrates his ties to 'ndrangheta figures in the cities of Toronto and Montreal, and gives a general outline of Melia's plot in 1981 to kill Nick Melia's troublemaking girlfriend at the time, Helen Nafpliotis. The part of the excerpt in italics appeared in italics in the book.

Vince Melia, fifty-five, a Sidernese mobster close to Mike Racco who had become one of the leaders of the Calabrese mob in Connecticut, contracted out to his Canadian counterparts to have his brother's troublesome girl-friend [sic] killed. Vince Melia was no stranger either to Toronto or to the police both in Canada and the United States. Melia had lived in Toronto for several years before moving to Connecticut. The following entry under Vince Melia's name appears in a U.S. Immigration intelligence report on the Siderno mob:

Melia, Vincenzo: born 29 April 1929, 32 Wakemore Street, Darien, Connecticut. During a conversation between Michele Racco, Toronto, Ontario and Domenic Torrente of Montreal, Quebec, it appeared that Torrente was having problems with Melia, and he wished Michele Racco to intercede in the difference. Racco, in a later conversation with Melia discussed the differences noted above. Melia stated that he told someone (probably Torrente) that Racco was to decide. A third discussion took place between Michele Racco and Joe Marterisano (phonetic), who informed Racco that he had received a call from Melia and was told to call Racco to be brought up to date on things.

Clearly Melia was well connected and a force to be reckoned with on the international mob stage.

So when Vince Melia contacted his ally Cosimo Commisso and asked him to send a hit man down to Stamford, Conn., to kill a hairdresser named Helen Nafpliotis, Cosimo Commisso named a price and readily agreed to provide a Canadian hit man. This was part of the hit-man exchange program between Canada and the States. Nafpliotis was having a messy affair with Vince's brother Nick, whose wife was in a jealous rage over the thirty-two-year-old, bleached-blonde hairdresser, and had already on one occasion gone after Helen with a hockey stick. More importantly, Helen had been an eyewitness to a Melia shooting. She had to go.
------------------------

Anyone wanting to learn more about the Nafpliotis murder plot and the aftermath should read Mob rule; Mafia enforcer by Cecil Kirby and Thomas C. Renner (a book that also is known under an earlier title, Mafia assassin: The inside story of a Canadian biker); and Police undercover: The true story of the biker, the mafia & the mountie by Mark G. Murphy -- these last two books will reveal a lot about the Commisso clan and its ties to 'ndrangheta figures in the US. Online, you can find information about Melia's appeal of his extradition at either http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F2/667/300/76737 or http://uniset.ca/other/cs5/667F2d300.html -- the information is identical on both webpages. Here are links to two newspaper articles, about the aftermath, that you'll find in Google News Archives:

Vincenzo Melia

Vincenzo Melia 2

Here are some of my notes about Vince's and Nick Melia's general movement in terms of migration:

*Vince, an Italian citizen, had moved from Siderno (Calabria) to Toronto. Then he moved to Stamford.
*Nick too had spent some time living in Toronto before moving to Connecticut.

Questions:

1. One of the individuals charged in the conspiracy to murder Nafpliotis was Gerlando Russo, identified in articles and books as Jerry Russo. Over the years, insofar as his name has appeared in articles in Connecticut-published newspapers, was his first name sometimes spelled "Gerry"?

2. Did being inducted into the 'ndrangheta, whether in Italy or in North America, preclude any Connecticut guys from being made into an American LCN family with outposts in the state? We all know how being made into more than one family is problematic if not supposedly impossible, but I'm asking about specific cases or a specific edict.

3. Were there any alleged 'ndrangheta guys in Connecticut with the surname Torrente or Larosa?

4. There was known 'ndrangheta activity in Stamford. Any activity in the following cities?

Meriden
Darien
Hartford
Bridgeport
Norwalk
Waterbury

Or was it a case of there being activity in one or two cities but that the 'ndrangheta guys were spread out among various cities in the state?

5. Which Connecticut newspapers have good online archives, including pay-per-article and other subscription services?

6. Which university or public libraries in Connecticut have good newspaper archives, regardless of whether the media are in digital, microform, microfiche, or hard-copy format?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison [Re: antimafia] #648139
05/21/12 11:45 AM
05/21/12 11:45 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
[quote=antimafia
5. Which Connecticut newspapers have good online archives, including pay-per-article and other subscription services?

6. Which university or public libraries in Connecticut have good newspaper archives, regardless of whether the media are in digital, microform, microfiche, or hard-copy format?

Thanks in advance. [/quote]

I don´t know if this link http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/courant/advancedsearch.html
will help you out. But you might try it.

And also, I will try to help you out with question number 6 as well. But it may take some days because I will have to ask around. Stay tuned!

[Linked Image]
Re: Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison [Re: pizzaboy] #648141
05/21/12 12:54 PM
05/21/12 12:54 PM
Orange County, CA
Nicholas Offline
Underboss
Nicholas  Offline
Underboss
Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

And I really laughed my ass off when someone posted "is he an up and coming wiseguy," because it was a funny line. But the truth is, his mother lived to be a hundred years old, and I understand that he takes right after her. So this may not be the end for him. If he comes out healthy, he'll hit the street again. It's just his way.

An Italian who doesn't care about the law? Shocking.

"The Feds are a business Anthony, millions of tax dollars are invested in watching your ass, sooner or later, just like you, their gonna want a return on their investment." --- Neil Mink, Tony Soprano's lawyer
Re: Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison [Re: Strax] #648173
05/21/12 05:05 PM
05/21/12 05:05 PM
M
Madonn Offline
Button
Madonn  Offline
M
Button
Woah 79 years old man? Why is that guy still an associate?

Re: Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison [Re: HairyKnuckles] #648238
05/22/12 09:41 AM
05/22/12 09:41 AM
A
antimafia Offline
Underboss
antimafia  Offline
A
Underboss
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Originally Posted By: antimafia

Thanks in advance.

I don´t know if this link http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/courant/advancedsearch.html
will help you out. But you might try it.

And also, I will try to help you out with question number 6 as well. But it may take some days because I will have to ask around. Stay tuned!

Thanks, HK. The link you provided will help. I already use one ProQuest service for research, and the cost to me is free when I log in with a Toronto Public Libraries card number. Using ProQuest to search the archives of the Hartford Courant will cost me, but this will be money well spent.

Re: Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison [Re: antimafia] #648242
05/22/12 11:20 AM
05/22/12 11:20 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Antimafia, a friend in Connecticut sent me this email:

The Sterling Memorial Library at Yale is probably the best resource in the state. http://www.library.yale.edu/microform/

There is a Connecticut State Library in Hartford that serves as the "official" Connecticut library. That may be very useful as well (it holds the Hartford Courant and some other newspapers, as well as official federal and state government documents), though I suspect the microform collection is not the equal of Sterling. http://www.cslib.org/

For city newspapers (other than the Hartford Courant), it appears that the best bet is the public library in the city of interest. Generally, microfilm from local newspapers is held there.

/// Hopefully this will help you out.

[Linked Image]
Re: Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison [Re: Madonn] #648243
05/22/12 11:30 AM
05/22/12 11:30 AM
DeMeo Offline
Made Member
DeMeo  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Madonn
Woah 79 years old man? Why is that guy still an associate?

If he hasn't earned good or committed murder, then what is the point of inducting him.

Re: Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison [Re: HairyKnuckles] #648244
05/22/12 12:02 PM
05/22/12 12:02 PM
A
antimafia Offline
Underboss
antimafia  Offline
A
Underboss
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Antimafia, a friend in Connecticut sent me this email:

The Sterling Memorial Library at Yale is probably the best resource in the state. http://www.library.yale.edu/microform/

There is a Connecticut State Library in Hartford that serves as the "official" Connecticut library. That may be very useful as well (it holds the Hartford Courant and some other newspapers, as well as official federal and state government documents), though I suspect the microform collection is not the equal of Sterling. http://www.cslib.org/

For city newspapers (other than the Hartford Courant), it appears that the best bet is the public library in the city of interest. Generally, microfilm from local newspapers is held there.

/// Hopefully this will help you out.

Thank you once again, HK. If I am not permitted access to these resources, I foresee in my near future taking a trip from Toronto to New Haven, after which I'll travel to Hartford.

Re: Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison [Re: Nicholas] #744031
10/12/13 09:11 AM
10/12/13 09:11 AM
Massachusetts
southend Offline
Underboss
southend  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Nicholas

Are you Italian? Because that was a really ignorant comment.

Re: Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison [Re: Strax] #744046
10/12/13 10:55 AM
10/12/13 10:55 AM
W
Wilson101 Offline
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline
W
Underboss
Lol

Re: Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison [Re: Strax] #744170
10/13/13 12:16 PM
10/13/13 12:16 PM
A
azguy Offline
Underboss
azguy  Offline
A
Underboss
He's probably close to getting out, as they are usually in jail for a year of two before trial and get time served credits along with early release.

Anyone know for sure...

"In onore della Famiglia la Famiglia e' aperta"
Re: Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison [Re: southend] #744185
10/13/13 01:33 PM
10/13/13 01:33 PM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
Originally Posted By: southend
Originally Posted By: Nicholas

Are you Italian? Because that was a really ignorant comment.

Originally Posted By: southend
Originally Posted By: cookcounty
Originally Posted By: BlackFamily
Street tax is still used by Chicago street organizations, they mostly target street dealers but pimps, prostitutes, and a few other crooks too. They charge between 50%-70% tax.

I keep telling you that shit in Chicago has changed

most gang members don't even sell drugs anymore

they just use drugs and hate on the few people that are still booming

Most gangs don't sell drugs anymore? What do they do? Shine shoes?

you've said shit just as ignorant as him

Re: Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison [Re: azguy] #744209
10/13/13 02:52 PM
10/13/13 02:52 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: azguy
He's probably close to getting out, as they are usually in jail for a year of two before trial and get time served credits along with early release.

Anyone know for sure...

July 31, 2015

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Reputed Conn. mobster gets 5 years in prison [Re: cookcounty] #744297
10/14/13 09:16 AM
10/14/13 09:16 AM
Massachusetts
southend Offline
Underboss
southend  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts
You actually took the time to go find that on the other thread then copy+paste it back over here I appreciate the dedication to me. And my reply was sarcastic but 'gangs don't sell drugs' was just stupid. That's it though im not doing this, say what you want I don't care i'm just not getting into one of these stupid arguments your notorious for stirring

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull