GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (DanteMoltisanti), 285 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,923
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,333
Posts1,058,811
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
relative of paul vario facing profiling #623027
12/05/11 01:16 PM
12/05/11 01:16 PM
pittsburgh pa
P
phatmatress Offline OP
Underboss
phatmatress  Offline OP
P
Underboss
pittsburgh pa
The great-nephew of a legendary gangster immortalized in “Goodfellas” is suing the crane operators union for barring him from membership because of his family ties.

Thomas Vario comes from a long line of mobsters in the Luchese crime family — most notably his great-uncle, the late capo Paul (Paulie) Vario, who was played by Paul Sorvino in the classic film expertly slicing garlic in prison while cellmates cooked the tomato sauce and grilled steaks.

His uncles Peter (Jocko) Vario and Peter (Rugsy) Vario and father Peter A. Vario were all arrested by the feds, which has created something of an image problem for Thomas

Vario, who describes himself as strictly blue collar, and not the snazzy starched-collar type prevalent among Mafia bosses.

He can’t even get an application to join Local 14-14B of the International Union of Operating Engineers because of his alleged “Italian connections,” his Brooklyn Federal Court suit says.

“It’s ridiculous,” Vario, 45, told the Daily News. “I’m not responsible for anyone’s sins but my own, and I don't have any.”

“Where does it end?” he continued. “This guy [Paul Vario] is dead 25 years already.”

“I want to know how do I fit into a category of these people?”

Vario is an experienced crane operator whose résumé includes the Verizon building in midtown, the JPMorgan Chase Tower, the reconstruction of the train trestle in the Rockaways and more than nine months working at Ground Zero after 9/11.

The suit names as a defendant former federal prosecutor George Stamboulidis, who serves as a court-appointed “ethical practices attorney” tasked with keeping the mob out of the union local.

Vario even had a sitdown with Stamboulidis about his ban.

“He told me himself, ‘Mr. Vario, I have a lot of respect for you. You could have chosen any route and you chose to work. If I give you a [union\] book I have to give John Gotti Jr. and Nicky Scarfo Jr. books tomorrow,’ ” Vario recalled of the conversation, which referred to the sons of the late Gambino boss John Gotti and Nicodemo Scarfo of the Philadelphia mob
Thomas Vario said his only brush with the law was an arrest for auto insurance fraud in 2007. He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor and was sentenced to community service.

He said he has no recollection of

his Uncle Paulie’s East New York, Brooklyn, cabstand hangout re-created in the Martin Scorsese film.

“If I was there, I was wheeled out in a baby carriage,” Thomas Vario said.

He said he was 16 when he bade goodbye to Paulie, who wound up in federal prison, where he died in 1988. Paul Vario, who had greenlighted the infamous Lufthansa heist at Kennedy Airport, was ratted out by mob weasel Henry Hill.

Thomas Vario’s lawyer Anthony Colleluori said besides getting his client union membership, he’s challenging what he called ethnic profiling by the government that targets Italian-Americans — profiling that he says other ethnic groups don’t suffer.

“Someday Bernie Madoff’s grandson is going to get a job anywhere he wants,” Colleluori said. “Even John Dillinger’s descendants could get a union job.”

Stamboulidis did not return a call seeking comment.

A union member suggested Vario legally change his surname.

“I would never change my last name,” Vario said. “I am who I am, and I’m not running because I have no reason to run.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/tho ... z1ffwzkN5y

I hate Dicknoses!!!!!!
Re: relative of paul vario facing profiling [Re: phatmatress] #623091
12/05/11 04:56 PM
12/05/11 04:56 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Interesting. Thanks for posting!
Good luck with trying to put together the Vario family tree... smile

Originally Posted By: phatmatress
His uncles Peter (Jocko) Vario and Peter (Rugsy) Vario and father Peter A. Vario...

Last edited by HairyKnuckles; 12/05/11 05:02 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: relative of paul vario facing profiling [Re: phatmatress] #623571
12/08/11 09:35 AM
12/08/11 09:35 AM
Your Mom's House
Jimmy_Two_Times Offline
Underboss
Jimmy_Two_Times  Offline
Underboss
Your Mom's House
Give the guy the friggin' job already! For heaven's sakes!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull