GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Havana), 312 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,611
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,092
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,379
Posts1,059,605
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mafia crews and ranks. #621387
11/24/11 04:49 PM
11/24/11 04:49 PM
D
Daco Offline OP
Wiseguy
Daco  Offline OP
D
Wiseguy
Hey there!I would like if someone would explain me a mafia structure,what which rank do and his part in mafia.How does mafia crew works?Do they have headquarter or something where they meet each other?

Thanks.

Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Daco] #621400
11/24/11 05:53 PM
11/24/11 05:53 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
boss- head of the family
underboss- 2nd in command. If boss is killed/sick he takes over. Many capos report to him and he then reports to the boss.
consigliere- advisor to the boss. He gives the boss advice and interacts with other families
capo- Control a crew of soldiers/associates that make money for the family
soldier- lowest rank for made men that report to the capo
associate- men that aren't made yet ther could also be associates of different nationalities

Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Daco] #621404
11/24/11 05:59 PM
11/24/11 05:59 PM
Mukremin Offline
Underboss
Mukremin  Offline
Underboss
Like crusher said, and they used to have plenty of social clubs and bars where they met and conducted business. There arent many left today, i dont know if they meet these days.

Up to date mafia charts --> https://cosanostracharts.wordpress.com/
Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Daco] #621407
11/24/11 06:18 PM
11/24/11 06:18 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
According to the old mafia tradition, a leader of a mafia family was originally called rappresentante, capo or padre. Today the leader is simply called the boss.
The boss is the highest level of a mafia family.
Beneath the boss is the underboss, or sotto capo (according to the old tradition), the boss´s second in command.
This position is appointed by the boss and can be removed by him at will.
The third highest level of a mafia family is of the consigliere. According to the old tradition, this position is held by a selected member by all the members of the family.
And then there´s the crewleaders, today called captains or skippers. The captains supervises a number of men that are called soldiers. They are divided into seperate crews. This is the lowest rank in a mafia family.
The captains were originally called capodecina (head of ten), but the number of soldiers in a crew varies.
All captains are appointed by the boss. And depending on the size of the family, the number of captains could be everything from 12 to 24.
In New York, the two largest families (Gambino and Genovese) has close to, or more than, 20 capos, while the smaller families has probably 12 or 13.

According to Bill Bonanno, in the old days, a family´s administration was made up by its boss, its consigliere and a number of captains. Today, I believe, the administration of a family is made up by the boss, underboss and the consigliere.
However, the most common leadership structure today is actually a panel or a ruling committee consisting of a number of high ranking members who runs a family in consensus. Maybe becuse to make it harder for the authorities to recognize the leadership.

Does this sound confusing? If it does, me and other posters on this forum can surely help you out with additional questions.

Welcome aboard! smile

[Linked Image]
Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Daco] #621408
11/24/11 06:36 PM
11/24/11 06:36 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Of course, this traditional hierarchy is becoming less common. Looking at the families that remain, you see a lot more acting bosses and ruling panels than the usual boss-underboss- consigliere set up. And in the smaller families outside New York, it's becoming even less hierarchical.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: IvyLeague] #621434
11/24/11 08:14 PM
11/24/11 08:14 PM
Ivan Offline
Underboss
Ivan  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
And in the smaller families outside New York, it's becoming even less hierarchical.

From what I gather, the remnants of Cleveland don't have a hierarchy at all. It's a "horizontally structured" network, with maybe Pappalardo being kind of "first among equals" rather than a full-blown boss.

Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Ivan] #621445
11/24/11 09:46 PM
11/24/11 09:46 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Ivan

From what I gather, the remnants of Cleveland don't have a hierarchy at all. It's a "horizontally structured" network, with maybe Pappalardo being kind of "first among equals" rather than a full-blown boss.

Heck, when you have only a handful of guys left, it's impossible to have all those ranks. You're a "glorified crew."

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Ivan] #621452
11/25/11 12:45 AM
11/25/11 12:45 AM
Orange County, CA
Nicholas Offline
Underboss
Nicholas  Offline
Underboss
Orange County, CA

remnants of Cleveland It's a "horizontally structured" network, with maybe Pappalardo being kind of "first among equals" rather than a full-blown boss.

It's cool that a Italian-American crime family is still around in the area, though remnants is nothing more than it'll ever be. I've definitely had a big interest in Pappalardo's remaining crew though

"The Feds are a business Anthony, millions of tax dollars are invested in watching your ass, sooner or later, just like you, their gonna want a return on their investment." --- Neil Mink, Tony Soprano's lawyer
Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: HairyKnuckles] #621455
11/25/11 02:08 AM
11/25/11 02:08 AM
D
Daco Offline OP
Wiseguy
Daco  Offline OP
D
Wiseguy
Thanks for your warm welcome,and your good questions.But they seems to be a little bit sternly described,because i'm searching for more,if you understand me.So is there any book that would help me?

Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Daco] #621464
11/25/11 05:53 AM
11/25/11 05:53 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: Daco
Thanks for your warm welcome,and your good questions.But they seems to be a little bit sternly described,because i'm searching for more,if you understand me.So is there any book that would help me?

Don´t know what time era you are most interested in.
But Bill Bonanno´s new book (released two months ago) "the Last Testament" is a very interesting read about the old times.
Among other things, he describes the structure of a crime family as it once was.
And he should know. He was the son of Joseph Bonanno, the powerful New York boss who headed the Bonanno Family from 1931 to 1968. Bill funcioned as a soldier, captain and breifly as a consigliere in the 50s and 60s.
The book gives a great info on the foundation of the mafia you might find valuable and provides a stepping stone for further researching into the today´s mafia.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: HairyKnuckles] #621467
11/25/11 08:12 AM
11/25/11 08:12 AM
D
Daco Offline OP
Wiseguy
Daco  Offline OP
D
Wiseguy
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Don´t know what time era you are most interested in.
But Bill Bonanno´s new book (released two months ago) "the Last Testament" is a very interesting read about the old times.
Among other things, he describes the structure of a crime family as it once was.
And he should know. He was the son of Joseph Bonanno, the powerful New York boss who headed the Bonanno Family from 1931 to 1968. Bill funcioned as a soldier, captain and breifly as a consigliere in the 50s and 60s.
The book gives a great info on the foundation of the mafia you might find valuable and provides a stepping stone for further researching into the today´s mafia.

I'm interested in todays mafia,and her business.Can you give something about that,her structure and which position do which business?Anyway,thanks for everything,appreciate that.

Last edited by Daco; 11/25/11 08:18 AM.
Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Daco] #621477
11/25/11 09:53 AM
11/25/11 09:53 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Accurate info on today´s mafia is very hard to come by.
It´s hard finding out exactly who all the main players are and what their businesses is.
There are no FBI documents circulating the internet that deals with the freshest info about the today´s mafia. And Wikipedia is not a reliable source.
We simply have to rely on what prosecutors say when they are making a case. And what turncoats and other informants have said. And sometimes their info stinks too.

May I suggest that you take a look at Mukremin´s excellent made mafia membercharts, posted at the top of this forum´s threadlist?
Here you will find the names of mafiamembers that are known to the authorities. Google them. You will find info on these guys. Not always accurate, but at least you will have the oppotunity to form your own opinion about them and what businesses they were/are involved with.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Nicholas] #621479
11/25/11 10:31 AM
11/25/11 10:31 AM
Ivan Offline
Underboss
Ivan  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Nicholas

remnants of Cleveland It's a "horizontally structured" network, with maybe Pappalardo being kind of "first among equals" rather than a full-blown boss.

It's cool that a Italian-American crime family is still around in the area, though remnants is nothing more than it'll ever be. I've definitely had a big interest in Pappalardo's remaining crew though

It will fade away completely over the next decade or two. The only reason it's still around is that the handful of guys that are left aren't that old by Mafia standards.

Wiseguy: I don't think Cleveland even qualifies as a "glorified crew" anymore really. "Crew" makes it sound like they are cohesive unit that regularly works together. I'm not sure what one should call the Cleveland leftovers. A "ghost", maybe? grin

Yeah, it's still there (sort of), but I doubt for too much longer.

Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Daco] #621489
11/25/11 01:02 PM
11/25/11 01:02 PM
D
Daco Offline OP
Wiseguy
Daco  Offline OP
D
Wiseguy
Is there any book that'll explain me structure in detailed way?Also that would explain me their business,like loansharking and stuffs like that?How people getting made,is there connection between boss and soldiers,or boss and associates?

Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Daco] #621502
11/25/11 03:02 PM
11/25/11 03:02 PM
Mukremin Offline
Underboss
Mukremin  Offline
Underboss
You can buy the book A complete Idiots guide to the Mafia by Capeci, its a good start. And of course the legendary Five Famillies book by Raab.

Up to date mafia charts --> https://cosanostracharts.wordpress.com/
Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Daco] #621503
11/25/11 03:08 PM
11/25/11 03:08 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Is there any book that'll explain me structure in detailed way?Also that would explain me their business,like loansharking and stuffs like that?How people getting made,is there connection between boss and soldiers,or boss and associates?

There is plenty of information about that throughout this forum. Just do some searches.
The poster Turnbull has a great post on various mob myths and realities here.

The books "The Way of the Wiseguy" by former FBI agent Joe Pistone and "The Idiot's Guide to the Mafia" by mob expert Jerry Capeci have lots of useful information laid out in easy to comprehend language.

But basically those books just expand on what other posters have already written
Boss> Underboss>Counselor>Captain>Soldier>Associate

Money flows upwards to the boss and fear/discipline flows downward from him.
That's the general rule though like with anything else in life, there are exceptions.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Daco] #621579
11/26/11 07:06 AM
11/26/11 07:06 AM
D
Daco Offline OP
Wiseguy
Daco  Offline OP
D
Wiseguy
Does crew have a place where its working,a territory?And i'm interested in one more thing..Capo is deciding how much soldiers need to give him money weekly,monthly?

Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Daco] #621582
11/26/11 07:33 AM
11/26/11 07:33 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Does crew have a place where its working,a territory?And i'm interested in one more thing..Capo is deciding how much soldiers need to give him money weekly,monthly?

The Boss sets the rules for how much money and how frequently people reporting to him have to give. Everyone below that can set their own rules for their direct reports. So it all depends on how greedy/desperate a particular boss/captain/soldier is, what is the risk of squeezing someone too hard for money, and how good an earner someone is. Generally speaking nobody has much use for excuses. You earn or you're out.

The Boss may tell his captains he want 50% of their take each month and a Christmas gift each year. The captains may tell their crew they want 60% of their take- trying to make up the boss' cut out of someone else's hide. Everyone lies, cheats and hides so there is no perfect accounting. The smarter and more experienced a criminal is the better he's able to estimate what a given score/racket should bring in.

Crew members can have physical locations, business monopolies and obviously are always on the lookout for new business opportunities. They may move around. Someone from NY may have Florida or California ties; he may vacation in the Bahamas and start a new racket there. They're always on the make.

Usually unless you're related to someone important or for some reason are being groomed for higher responsibilities, no one is going to just give you a business when you start out. You have to get out there and hustle like everyone else and use the skills you have to earn enough money to your crew chief.

Last edited by Lilo; 11/26/11 07:35 AM.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Daco] #621584
11/26/11 08:00 AM
11/26/11 08:00 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)

The geographical areas of crews varies. A captain can have a small, tight knit crew who are all headquarted in the same neighborhood but if it´s a large crew, the soldiers can be scattered throughout different neighborhoods.
For example, Toddo Aurello´s crew consisted of guys from Brooklyn and from the state of New Jersey.
Further on, Lilo Galante´s crew consisted of guys in New York, New Jersey and Canada! So it varies a lot.
It´s not unusual that crewmembers, for various reasons, change crews and end up under a different captain during the course of time. Mostly because when a captain passes away, the soldiers who was under him are asked by the consigliere if they want to be under the newly appointed captain. Of course, most of them says yes but the asking is a procedure of conduct on the consigliere´s behalf. All according to the rules.

When it comes to kicking up money, I think there is no standard rate. It´s an arrangement between the captain and the soldier, an arrangement that is worked out in a way that suits them both. A soldier can be a very good earner, so he will kick up more money than a soldier who is not that active. Maybe the less active one has less business interests or he´s getting on in years. There are lot of soldiers that are 70, 80 and even 90 years old today.

Last edited by HairyKnuckles; 11/26/11 08:18 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: HairyKnuckles] #621597
11/26/11 09:22 AM
11/26/11 09:22 AM
LordSlickNutz Offline
Button
LordSlickNutz  Offline
Button
[For example, Toddo Aurello´s crew consisted of guys from Brooklyn and from the state of New Jersey.

Just out of curiosity, who in Toddo's crew is based in NJ? Hairy, I suspect you have a whole list of all his crew members. Care to share. Hehe...Cheers.

Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: LordSlickNutz] #621615
11/26/11 11:22 AM
11/26/11 11:22 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: LordSlickNutz
Care to share. Hehe...Cheers.

No problem.

According to Sammy Gravano, two of the New Jersey based members of Aurello crew were Joey "Pal" Farinella and Nicky Russo (died in 1985).
Off the top of my head, they were both involved (I can´t remember the details now) with Gravano in the killing of John Simone, a Philly captain who challenged Scarfo for leadership in the Philly mafia. If I´m not mistaken, both Farinella and Russo set Simone up.

Here´s a list of other Aurello crew members. Please keep in mind that this list is far from being complete. There could have been others too but these guys are the ones I know of.

Frankie "the Wop" Gagliardi (died in 1982),
Frank Rizzo (possibly a member of this crew),
Joseph "Boozey" DeCicco,
John Rizzo Sr (died in 1988),
Sammy Gravano (became an acting capo in 1984??, capo in 1985, acting consigliere in 1987),
Charles Aurello,
Louie Milito (murdered in 1988),
Joseph Bilotti (became a member of this crew after the murder of his brother Tommy).

In 1986, Gravano made "Big" Lou Vallario (who inherited the crew after Gravano) and Joe "the old man" Paruta (who died of cancer just days after being made).
I believe Tommy "Huck" Carbonaro also got made sometime around 1986.
Frankie "Fapp" Fappiano and Eddie Garofalo were probably made into this crew in the second half of the 80s.

Last edited by HairyKnuckles; 11/26/11 07:00 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Daco] #621627
11/26/11 11:56 AM
11/26/11 11:56 AM
D
Daco Offline OP
Wiseguy
Daco  Offline OP
D
Wiseguy
Aham.And does boss put himself in direct contact with the soldiers of his capos crew or...?

Last edited by Daco; 11/26/11 11:58 AM.
Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Daco] #621637
11/26/11 12:34 PM
11/26/11 12:34 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Well...humm tough question.
I think a boss do socialize with soldiers, but I don´t think the soldiers are allowed to talk business directly with the boss. Actually, a soldier is not allowed to talk to the boss if not being addressed. That is, if they are not very close or related to eachother.
All business goes via the captain, consiglere and the underboss.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Daco] #621640
11/26/11 12:56 PM
11/26/11 12:56 PM
D
Daco Offline OP
Wiseguy
Daco  Offline OP
D
Wiseguy
Aham.And Underbosses and COnsiglieres connection with others?

(Thanks for being patient with me,i really appreciate that.)

Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Daco] #621663
11/26/11 03:17 PM
11/26/11 03:17 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Aham.And Underbosses and COnsiglieres connection with others?

It´s often the consigliere of a family that settles beefs, or mediates disputes among the members. At least that was the case in the past. So he had to stay in contact with all members of the family.
The Underboss? I guess it depends on how big a family is. In the smaller ones, I think he is in contact with the soldiers a lot. But that is not the case when it comes to the bigger families with 100-250 members. The underboss (just like the boss) do take measures to shield himself from potential future mafia witnesses and informers. Especially nowadays.
The real power in a family is in the captains and above.
And I believe that some of the captains frequently meets with the underboss and the boss.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Daco] #621672
11/26/11 03:58 PM
11/26/11 03:58 PM
D
Daco Offline OP
Wiseguy
Daco  Offline OP
D
Wiseguy
Aham.Another question!

What about associates?Do they hang together with crew they are about to get into,or?

EDIT:And what consigliere and underboss usually do when they interact with soldiers,i mean what to they usually talk 'bout?Soldier talks him 'bout complains or reporting him how crew works?

Last edited by Daco; 11/26/11 03:58 PM.
Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: HairyKnuckles] #621702
11/26/11 08:15 PM
11/26/11 08:15 PM
LordSlickNutz Offline
Button
LordSlickNutz  Offline
Button
According to Sammy Gravano, two of the New Jersey based members of Aurello crew were Joey "Pal" Farinella and Nicky Russo (died in 1985).
Off the top of my head, they were both involved (I can´t remember the details now) with Gravano in the killing of John Simone, a Philly captain who challenged Scarfo for leadership in the Philly mafia. If I´m not mistaken, both Farinella and Russo set Simone up.

Here´s a list of other Aurello crew members. Please keep in mind that this list is far from being complete. There could have been others too but these guys are the ones I know of.

Joseph "Boozey" DeCicco,
Sammy Gravano (became an acting capo in 1984??, capo in 1985, acting consigliere in 1987),
Charles Aurello,
Joseph Bilotti (became a member of this crew after the murder of his brother Tommy).

In 1986, Gravano made "Big" Lou Vallario (who inherited the crew after Gravano) and Joe "the old man" Paruta (who died of cancer just days after being made).
Frankie "Fapp" Fappiano and Eddie Garofalo were probably made into this crew in the second half of the 80s.

Joseph "Boozey" DeCicco? Isn't he uncle of the Decicco brothers? (i.e. Frank and George)

And, "Frankie the Wop" was mentioned in Goodfellas. One of the guys who hung out at the Bamboo Lounge.

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing, Hairy!

Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: LordSlickNutz] #621703
11/26/11 08:33 PM
11/26/11 08:33 PM
Ivan Offline
Underboss
Ivan  Offline
Underboss

And, "Frankie the Wop" was mentioned in Goodfellas. One of the guys who hung out at the Bamboo Lounge.

I think that was supposed to be Frankie "the wop" Manzo from the Luccheses.

Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: LordSlickNutz] #621741
11/27/11 04:27 AM
11/27/11 04:27 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)

Joseph "Boozey" DeCicco,
Charles Aurello,

Joseph "Boozey" DeCicco? Isn't he uncle of the Decicco brothers? (i.e. Frank and George)

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing, Hairy!

Boozey and George were brothers. Frank was the son of Boozey.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mafia crews and ranks. [Re: Daco] #621743
11/27/11 05:03 AM
11/27/11 05:03 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Aham.Another question!

What about associates?Do they hang together with crew they are about to get into,or?

EDIT:And what consigliere and underboss usually do when they interact with soldiers,i mean what to they usually talk 'bout?Soldier talks him 'bout complains or reporting him how crew works?

I guess most of the conversations revolves around money.
A soldier usually needs permission from his captain before entering into any business venture. He always keeps his captain updated about his business and wherabouts. Even if the soldier wants to go away on vaccation a couple of days, he have to ask permission from his captain. The captain needs to know where to reach out for him if he´s needed for anything.

The consigliere settles beefs and disputes. So he listens to the parties both sides and make out a ruling.
The beefs usually concerns money, cheating, loans, settlements of business interests and such things.
But a beef could also be about some abuse or failing of showing proper respect.

If you are interested in all this, I would recomend (and I think Mukremin also recomended) Jerry Capeci´s book "The Complete Idiot´s Guide To The Mafia". It´s an interesting read.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull