GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Irishman12), 315 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,322
Posts1,058,593
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: Turnbull] #622470
12/01/11 12:35 PM
12/01/11 12:35 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
And also TB, he never pauses to reflect upon the fact that it was he that, in large part, exposed his family to the horrors of this world.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: JCrusher] #622483
12/01/11 01:36 PM
12/01/11 01:36 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline
I
Made Member
'Evil' and 'stupid'....not a lot between them really.

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: JCrusher] #623175
12/06/11 12:00 AM
12/06/11 12:00 AM
J
joey_dice Offline
joey_dice
joey_dice  Offline
joey_dice
J
Capo
Mike did not expose the family to the horrors of the world. Vito did the moment he killed the Don in Sicily, at that point he and his family became part of a criminal element. Mike did not join the mafia he was born into it. His choice to kill Sol and the Captain was a decision he made to protect his family, he knew it had to be done, he did not turn evil, in his mind killing Sol and the Captain was no differnt than killing Nazi's both times he was protecting his family. Mike would have been evil if he killed indesciminetly, but he didnt, ever person that he had killed were killed to protect the family, which is what he believed his job to be as the family head. I think that what everyone is seeing as hard is in actuallity the result of a person being thrust into a world and life he never really wanted to be a part of but had too with the shooting of Vito and the death of Sonny. His continual efforts to take the family legit is in my mind a sign of remorse and desire to leave a world he never wanted to be a part of. Sonny wanted that life and taking the family legit would have been the last thing he would ever want to do. In my opinion.

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: joey_dice] #623192
12/06/11 06:45 AM
12/06/11 06:45 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: joey_dice
Mike did not expose the family to the horrors of the world. Vito did the moment he killed the Don in Sicily, at that point he and his family became part of a criminal element.

For Vito too, the move into the criminal world was slow. It started when he took Clemenza's guns. (Evil always starts with small steps.) He was present when Clemenza stole the carpet. Later, he joined the robberies of Clemenza and Tessio. There may be some reasons to justify that but you can't call these cations "good". The first murder Vito commits is the killing of Fanucci. And in the given situation of anarchy in Little Italy at that time, where the government had no intentions and no means to bring peace and justice to the neighborhoods, even that murder may be justified. But Vito was already at a point where he wasn't free of selfish reasons. Later, the killing of Fanucci was viewed as an act of heroism, but in fact: one robber killed the other. In the film (not in the novel) he seemed to acquire a taste for killing, so he went back to Sicily to kill those who were responsible for the killing of his parents and his brother.

Antwort auf:
Mike did not join the mafia he was born into it. His choice to kill Sol and the Captain was a decision he made to protect his family, he knew it had to be done, he did not turn evil, in his mind killing Sol and the Captain was no differnt than killing Nazi's both times he was protecting his family. Mike would have been evil if he killed indesciminetly, but he didnt, ever person that he had killed were killed to protect the family

No difference to his father. Vito did not want to be a Mafia boss. Mike thought that by killing Mac&Sol he would do good. As you say it was like "killing Nazis". But that was the first step across the Rubicon. Probably, he subconciously chose to be part of the game after the shooting of Vito when he joins the discussions of Sonny, Tom and Tessio.
The social pressures - family, situation, role models - were so strong that it looks as if he had no choice. But he had. At any given time.

Antwort auf:
His continual efforts to take the family legit is in my mind a sign of remorse and desire to leave a world he never wanted to be a part of.

Good thought.

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: JCrusher] #623201
12/06/11 10:33 AM
12/06/11 10:33 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Whether you agree that "evil" is a proper choice of words for what Michael (and Vito) became, I cannot agree with the contention that their actions were somehow unavoidable based on the circumstances in which they found themselves.

Vito and Michael both faced choices in their lives. Granted, they were often very hard choices, but they were choices. They continually chose a course of violence and criminality.

Vito could have kicked some $$$ to Fanucci, like all the other criminals in the neighborhood did. He still would have made a nice living. He instead chose to murder Fanucci and take over his rackets. He could have let Don Cicci live. Etc. Etc.

Michael chose to be the person who killed Sol & Mac. He had choices. He could have had the Family's newspapermen spread dirt on McCluskey, forcing him to distance himself from Sollozzo, then exposing Sollozzo to one of Sonny's 100 buttonmen. He could have gone to the meeting and have someone else ambush Mac and Sol. Or he could have said, "that's my Family, that's not me" or "this is the business they've chosen" and let the chips fall where they may.

Easy choices? No. But choices nonetheless.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: The Last Woltz] #623204
12/06/11 12:29 PM
12/06/11 12:29 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Exactly Woltz. As we've postedin other threads, Michael could have walked away from his life at any time. One thing that never gets stated is that as a Mafia don, Vito and Michael presided over a vast criminal empire that included just about every piece of human scum who murdered, maimed, and otherwise destroyed the lives of God knows how many people.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: The Last Woltz] #623340
12/06/11 08:59 PM
12/06/11 08:59 PM
J
joey_dice Offline
joey_dice
joey_dice  Offline
joey_dice
J
Capo
There is no question that both Vito and Micheal made a choice to be a criminal and to remain a criminal, but dont all criminals make that choice. My contention is that Mike choice to kill Sol and the police captain to protect his family, he knew that without killing them his father would remain a target and would be killed eventually. I think that had Sonny not been killed, Mike would not have stayed in the family business beyond killing Sol and the Captain. As a good sicilian he could not leave his family and the family business without a Corelone at the helm.

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: olivant] #623353
12/06/11 11:15 PM
12/06/11 11:15 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: olivant
Exactly Woltz. As we've postedin other threads, Michael could have walked away from his life at any time. One thing that never gets stated is that as a Mafia don, Vito and Michael presided over a vast criminal empire that included just about every piece of human scum who murdered, maimed, and otherwise destroyed the lives of God knows how many people.

Yes, and yes again. Michael had choices at every turn. I posted a thread about it here:

http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthr...true#Post561802

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: joey_dice] #623390
12/07/11 05:50 AM
12/07/11 05:50 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: joey_dice
As a good sicilian he could not leave his family and the family business without a Corelone at the helm.

Then what's the definition of "a good Sicilian"? Someone who obeys every order and remains loyal, no matter how cruel such a demand is?
What Vito called "family business" was robbery, infiltration of labor unions, loansharking, extortion, blackmailing, murder. Oh, and of course a little olive oil import.

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: Danito] #623407
12/07/11 11:22 AM
12/07/11 11:22 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
You are what you do, not what you say you are. In Michael's case this is perfectly clear.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: Danito] #623532
12/07/11 10:25 PM
12/07/11 10:25 PM
J
joey_dice Offline
joey_dice
joey_dice  Offline
joey_dice
J
Capo
I was being a little sarcastic about being a good sicilian, but as a sicilian I was raised that no one comes before my family, nor was I ever to turn away from my family at a time of trouble, this line of thought is common in Sicilian and Italian familys. Is Micheal a Criminal, yes, is his upbringing an excuse to justify his decison making, no, but was joining the "family" business something he sat out to do, no, his decision to do so was forced by the perceived needs of his family.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull