GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (furio_from_naples, 1 invisible), 313 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,890
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,665
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Measuring the Genovese' Strength [Re: NickyScarfo] #618736
10/28/11 05:02 PM
10/28/11 05:02 PM
LeroyJones Offline
Made Member
LeroyJones  Offline
Made Member
Yes but 80% of that list are guys that are 70 or over NOW. eek

No guarantee they even make it to 80. Alot of people don't. And the ones in their 80's now will almost for sure be dead within the next 10 years. And the ones in their 90's now, i can't believe are even still alive. lol It's crazy these guys are still alive at this age. I don't know what they eat for breakfast but give me what they're having! lol. cool

Last edited by LeroyJones; 10/28/11 05:04 PM.
Re: Measuring the Genovese' Strength [Re: LeroyJones] #618737
10/28/11 05:07 PM
10/28/11 05:07 PM
Ivan Offline
Underboss
Ivan  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: LeroyJones
lol It's crazy these guys are still alive at this age. I don't know what they eat for breakfast but give me what they're having! lol. cool

Yeah why do these fuckers live so long? It seems like the average life expectancy for mob guys (well, the ones who aren't murdered) is about 10 years longer than "normal" people. lol

Anyway, it's going to be interesting to see how that family handles their coming "demographic crisis".

Re: Measuring the Genovese' Strength [Re: NickyScarfo] #618767
10/29/11 02:47 AM
10/29/11 02:47 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

That's why I say that 2020 may be too soon to see the inevitable "unraveling." Their "demographic crisis," as Ivan called it. Which has already hit the other families to a much bigger degree. For whatever reason, a lot of these guys do live a long time. Well into their 80's and sometimes even 90's. And not only do they stay active, these Genovese guys will still do prison time even when they don't have many years left.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 10/29/11 02:48 AM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Measuring the Genovese' Strength [Re: NickyScarfo] #618777
10/29/11 10:03 AM
10/29/11 10:03 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline OP
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline OP
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
What is your opinions that the Genovese caught a break by 9/11? Did the FBI's re-focus on terrorists allow them to re-group? Personally I can't see it however the family in 2000 compared to 2011 is there any difference?? I would be interested to hear what areas they lost power in this period.
Also I know that some rackets they have been chased out of by the law but have't they also made some new rackets such as the cramming and stock fraud scams?

Re: Measuring the Genovese' Strength [Re: NickyScarfo] #618778
10/29/11 10:18 AM
10/29/11 10:18 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: NickyScarfo
What is your opinions that the Genovese caught a break by 9/11? Did the FBI's re-focus on terrorists allow them to re-group? Personally I can't see it however the family in 2000 compared to 2011 is there any difference?? I would be interested to hear what areas they lost power in this period.
Also I know that some rackets they have been chased out of by the law but have't they also made some new rackets such as the cramming and stock fraud scams?

Nicky,

Yes, they've certainly picked up other rackets. That's how all business is, legitimate or not. You have to evolve or become extinct. But the loss of the garbage rackets and the Fulton fish market can not be understated. Those were devastating financial losses for the Genovese family. There was much more money to be spread around in those businesses. Yes, cramming and stock fraud shemes made a few people very rich. But the garbage business made A LOT of people very rich. There's the difference in a nutshell.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Measuring the Genovese' Strength [Re: pizzaboy] #618786
10/29/11 10:56 AM
10/29/11 10:56 AM
G
GerryLang Offline
Underboss
GerryLang  Offline
G
Underboss
I still think the Bonano's under Massino were the strongest family in the country. If you look at the indictments from the late 90's and early to mid 2000's you see how they had their tentacles all over the place. They were making million in stock market scams with little Robert Lino, Frank Coppa and TC Graziano. Richard Cantarella was making tons of money in the parking lot business and other stuff. Jerry Chili was making huge amounts with boiler room scams and drugs. George from Canada big in the drug business. There was also other money makers like Baldo Amato, Anthony Spero, Patty from the Bronx, Nicky Mouth Santora and ofcourse Vinny Pills better known as Vinny Gorgeous amongst many others. They also had ties with the powerful Rizzutos in Canada.

Re: Measuring the Genovese' Strength [Re: IvyLeague] #618789
10/29/11 11:58 AM
10/29/11 11:58 AM
LeroyJones Offline
Made Member
LeroyJones  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
For whatever reason, a lot of these guys do live a long time. Well into their 80's and sometimes even 90's. And not only do they stay active, these Genovese guys will still do prison time even when they don't have many years left.

They should bottle whatever it is those guys take. It's almost like being 75 is middle age to them. Not until they hit their 90's are they considered old. lol In my family most of the men are gone by their late 70's. The women do a little better.

Yup, bottle it and sell it. They can call it the "Genovese Life System". For when your 75 and in prison and you still have to last another 20 years to go dig up all your ill gotten loot.

Last edited by LeroyJones; 10/29/11 12:00 PM.
Re: Measuring the Genovese' Strength [Re: pizzaboy] #618791
10/29/11 12:04 PM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline OP
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline OP
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
[quote=NickyScarfo]What is your opinions that the Genovese caught a break by 9/11? Did the FBI's re-focus on terrorists allow them to re-group? Personally I can't see it however the family in 2000 compared to 2011 is there any difference?? I would be interested to hear what areas they lost power in this period.
[/quote
Nicky,

Yes, they've certainly picked up other rackets. That's how all business is, legitimate or not. You have to evolve or become extinct. But the loss of the garbage rackets and the Fulton fish market can not be understated. Those were devastating financial losses for the Genovese family. There was much more money to be spread around in those businesses. Yes, cramming and stock fraud shemes made a few people very rich. But the garbage business made A LOT of people very rich. There's the difference in a nutshell.

Thanks PB, to clarify I don't think their getting stronger or anything, just trying to get some debate going over the subject, didn't want to come over as one of those guys who are in denial over the mobs decline!

Last edited by NickyScarfo; 10/29/11 12:05 PM.
Re: Measuring the Genovese' Strength [Re: LeroyJones] #618792
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
It's true. But ironically, Gigante didn't quite make it to 80. I think he was 76 or 77.

Just a kid lol.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Measuring the Genovese' Strength [Re: NickyScarfo] #618794
10/29/11 12:07 PM
10/29/11 12:07 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
. . . didn't want to come over as one of those guys who are in denial over the mobs decline!

That's okay, Nicky. Mukremin's in enough denial for all of us tongue grin.

Re: Measuring the Genovese' Strength [Re: pizzaboy] #618796
10/29/11 12:17 PM
10/29/11 12:17 PM
Ivan Offline
Underboss
Ivan  Offline
Underboss
It's true. But ironically, Gigante didn't quite make it to 80. I think he was 76 or 77.

Just a kid lol.

It's always tragic when a guy dies young like that, right when his life is just about to really begin. lol

Dracula-esque gangster longevity notwithstanding, something like half the current family will be dead in 2020-2030. The Genovese family looks like a demographic time bomb to me. I guess the X factor in all of this is what kind of young associates are there waiting in the wings to be made. We'll see. This should be fun to watch unfold.

What's really weird about the longevity thing is that these guys don't live the healthiest lifestyles. This isn't exactly a bunch of vegans we're talking about here. Many (most?) of them are overweight smokers, yes?

Last edited by Ivan; 10/29/11 12:20 PM.
Re: Measuring the Genovese' Strength [Re: Ivan] #618797
10/29/11 12:23 PM
10/29/11 12:23 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Yeah, well I'm just curious as to how active some of these guys actually are. I remember hearing that Chinky Facchiano offered to do a hit while he was in his 90's, but I have to question how active the rest of these guys are. I mean, it's just hard to collect shylock money when your Depends come untucked.

Re: Measuring the Genovese' Strength [Re: pizzaboy] #618798
10/29/11 12:29 PM
10/29/11 12:29 PM
LeroyJones Offline
Made Member
LeroyJones  Offline
Made Member
I remember hearing that Chinky Facchiano offered to do a hit while he was in his 90's
eek eek eek eek eek eek eek These guys are too much. lol

Re: Measuring the Genovese' Strength [Re: LeroyJones] #618799
10/29/11 12:31 PM
10/29/11 12:31 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: LeroyJones
I remember hearing that Chinky Facchiano offered to do a hit while he was in his 90's
eek eek eek eek eek eek eek These guys are too much. lol

Yeah, some people mellow with age. Some people just get meaner.

Re: Measuring the Genovese' Strength [Re: pizzaboy] #618800
10/29/11 01:24 PM
10/29/11 01:24 PM
Mukremin Offline
Underboss
Mukremin  Offline
Underboss
. . . didn't want to come over as one of those guys who are in denial over the mobs decline!

That's okay, Nicky. Mukremin's in enough denial for all of us tongue grin.

I am not in denial grin i was just pointing out that the Genoveses are the family who are in slow decline.
But sure, i sometimes refuse to see it tongue

Up to date mafia charts --> https://cosanostracharts.wordpress.com/
Re: Measuring the Genovese' Strength [Re: NickyScarfo] #618808
10/29/11 02:38 PM
10/29/11 02:38 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Keep in mind that those "old" Genovese captains are probably 'schooling' their younger underlings a lot better than what happens in the other families. I think the Genoveses will still be powerful 25 years from now.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Measuring the Genovese' Strength [Re: Sonny_Black] #618810
10/29/11 03:05 PM
10/29/11 03:05 PM
T
tt120 Offline
Capo
tt120  Offline
T
Capo
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Keep in mind that those "old" Genovese captains are probably 'schooling' their younger underlings a lot better than what happens in the other families. I think the Genoveses will still be powerful 25 years from now.

exactly ... couldn't have said it better myself. The Genovese seem more like a "family" than any of the others, if that makes sense. You never, or rarely at most, hear about the cowboy shit that has happened in all of the other families, in the Genovese.

It seems like everyone there knows their role. They all have a role to play. Bosses/ruling panels seem to treat those positions with great responsibility, opposed to treating it like they hit the powerball. They also value the advisor position. Compare the Genovese Consigs in the last 20 years with Consigs in every other family. Sessa, Lastorino, Graziano? Guys who are barely 40 years old advising the administration? Sure those guys made money and know how to pull a trigger, but that's it. That position in every other family has degraded into mouth pieces/yes men for the boss. Not in the Genovese. The administration actually works for the best interests in the family opposed to their individual agendas.

Also success begets success. So if getting made into the Genovese means you've already been in the game for decades with multiple people vouching for you, and you have a lot on the ball...then you get schooled by guys who came up the same way? They have a better perpetuating cycle in place than any of the other families.

I know it sounds like Genovese fanboy'ism hyping up the "mystique" that surrounds the family, but regardless of how it sounds everyone's gotta agree that the Genovese guys are a different breed. Always have been and always will be.

Something else I've wondered too; guys from the Bronx and the city being "better". Anyone else notice this? The Genovese have always had a stronghold in the Bronx and the city, but even in other families guys from the BX and Manhattan always seem to be a little more traditional and have more on the ball. coincidence??? lol I was in a "mobbed up" restaurant a few years ago with my girlfriend, place was empty, but there was a drunk old guy at the bar arguing with his friend and the bartender that the "toughest and smartest guys in the whole state come from East Harlem"

Last edited by tt120; 10/29/11 03:08 PM.
Re: Measuring the Genovese' Strength [Re: GerryLang] #618821
10/29/11 04:48 PM
10/29/11 04:48 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: GerryLang
I still think the Bonano's under Massino were the strongest family in the country. If you look at the indictments from the late 90's and early to mid 2000's you see how they had their tentacles all over the place. They were making million in stock market scams with little Robert Lino, Frank Coppa and TC Graziano. Richard Cantarella was making tons of money in the parking lot business and other stuff. Jerry Chili was making huge amounts with boiler room scams and drugs. George from Canada big in the drug business. There was also other money makers like Baldo Amato, Anthony Spero, Patty from the Bronx, Nicky Mouth Santora and ofcourse Vinny Pills better known as Vinny Gorgeous amongst many others. They also had ties with the powerful Rizzutos in Canada.

The feds considered them to be about on par with the Gambinos for the #2 spot for a time. But they never supplanted the Genovese family; which was the bigger family, was more diversified, operated more widely, and had the involvement in labor unions and legitimate industries the Bonannos didn't.

Furthermore, it should be mentioned that the Genovese continued to be the top family despite ongoing pressure from law enforcement. The Bonannos were able to make a comeback because the FBI took away resources devoted to that family for about a decade. But once the pressure was back on, things started to crumble with the Bonannos.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 10/29/11 04:50 PM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Measuring the Genovese' Strength [Re: NickyScarfo] #618831
10/29/11 07:01 PM
10/29/11 07:01 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
It takes decades to build up an organization as powerful as the Genoveses. It took decades for the Genoveses to build up their network and to infiltrade unions and control many aspects of it.

To think the Bonannos could just supplant the Genoveses by doing the same within those ten years of Massino's reign is plain ignorance.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull