GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (m2w, 1 invisible), 312 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,493
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,336
Posts1,058,841
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I Would Realy Realy Like To Know !! #39162
05/29/06 11:31 PM
05/29/06 11:31 PM
dc
Don Dallal Offline OP
De Facto Boss
Don Dallal  Offline OP
De Facto Boss
Made Member
dc
I Would Realy Realy Like To Know Why Marlon Brando Refused The Oscar For His Role In The Godfather... ???

Help Would Be Apreciated .

Chris: DOES THIS LOOK LIKE THE SENATE TO YOU ( T ) ???!!!
Re: I Would Realy Realy Like To Know !! #39163
05/30/06 12:39 AM
05/30/06 12:39 AM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Happy Birthday Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
Brando had Sacheen Littlefeather, an Apache Indian, refuse the award on his behalf. He boycotted the Oscar Ceremony to protest Hollywood's misinterpretation of American Indians.

Here's a picture of her refusing the award given by Roger Moore and Liv Ullman:

[Linked Image]

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: I Would Realy Realy Like To Know !! #39164
05/30/06 12:48 AM
05/30/06 12:48 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Actually, I'd heard that Sacheen Littlefeather was played by an actress. In an interview years later she stated that during or after that 'refusal' speech, John Wayne was absolutely livid and ready to lunge at her.

But the American Indian thing IS the reason Brando refused the Oscar.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: I Would Realy Realy Like To Know !! #39165
05/30/06 11:09 AM
05/30/06 11:09 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Her real name is Maria Cruz, although she is part Indian.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: I Would Realy Realy Like To Know !! #39166
05/30/06 09:54 PM
05/30/06 09:54 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Part of Brando's public persona (when he chose to show it) was to be involved in what would be considered civil rights causes. One of his causes was in support of Native Americans. In the time frame of his Oscar nomination, the Fedeal government was in conflict with Sioux Native Americans. Brando chose to use that year's Oscar presentations to make a statement about his support for the Sioux. You can read about it here:

http://citypages.com/databank/25/1231/article12279.asp

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: I Would Realy Realy Like To Know !! #39167
05/30/06 11:14 PM
05/30/06 11:14 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Happy Birthday Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
John Wayne was absolutely livid and ready to lunge at her.
No surprise there. I like his movies, but I cannot stand him when it comes to politics.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: I Would Realy Realy Like To Know !! #39168
05/31/06 05:47 AM
05/31/06 05:47 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Brando chose to use that year's Oscar presentations to make a statement about his support for the Sioux.
which, with all the due respect to Marlon, was an absolute nonsense, IMO. He was already a great movie star, a living legend. He did not need the Oscar presentation to find a large audience to listen to him.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: I Would Realy Realy Like To Know !! #39169
05/31/06 07:28 AM
05/31/06 07:28 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
[QUOTE]... He was already a great movie star, a living legend. He did not need the Oscar presentation to find a large audience to listen to him.
I remember watching that Oscar telecast as a kid. Everybody was certain Brando would win, and when they called his name my mother wondered who the heck that sad looking Indian girl was getting up to accept for him.

I think she got boo'd a little bit, too.

In one of the many Brando biographies it was speculated that Brando was unimpressed with his acting talents, almost ashamed that this is the way he made so much money and became so famous. He was also unimpressed with Hollywood. He did make other appearances while speaking out for the Indians...but also knew that to bring the issue to light via the Academy Awards while refusing to accept hiw own award would bring nationwide and lasting attention that a 2-minute newsreel interview could not.

It would also stick it to the movie business.

I never really minded Brando's grandstanding with regard to his Godfather Oscar. I just wish he'd had the guts to do it himself, instead of sending some sweet little costume-clad actress to take the stage and the heat for him. I think the overall effect was more negative than positive.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: I Would Realy Realy Like To Know !! #39170
05/31/06 09:44 AM
05/31/06 09:44 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally posted by Turnbull:
Part of Brando's public persona (when he chose to show it) was to be involved in what would be considered civil rights causes. One of his causes was in support of Native Americans. In the time frame of his Oscar nomination, the Fedeal government was in conflict with Sioux Native Americans. Brando chose to use that year's Oscar presentations to make a statement about his support for the Sioux. You can read about it here:

http://citypages.com/databank/25/1231/article12279.asp
Correct, and the other part of his public persona was a disdain for Hollywood, and a lifelong claim he made that there was nothing to acting, that all of us act every day and that all the to do about him being a great actor was nonsense. He basically said acting was all a big fraud (Interesitngly this resonantes with something Picasso said, "Art is a lie.")

I remember seeing that show and thinking that by sending that "Indian" up there he was probably doing his cause more harm than good. But then again Brando was a bit of a wack job.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: I Would Realy Realy Like To Know !! #39171
05/31/06 10:16 AM
05/31/06 10:16 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
I just wish he'd had the guts to do it himself, instead of sending some sweet little costume-clad actress to take the stage and the heat for him. I think the overall effect was more negative than positive.
I remember seeing that show and thinking that by sending that "Indian" up there he was probably doing his cause more harm than good. But then again Brando was a bit of a wack job.
Well, we are still talking about this three decades later, so you could say that he succeeded in achieving the goal of focusing attention on the issue.

BTW, I think the article Turnbull links to is a bit too heavily anti-AIM. In his autobiography Where White Men Fear to Tread Russell Means offers cogent defenses for the actions which lead the article to indicate that AIM lost its moral compass.

Also, for a less-biased, in-depth look at FBI/Native American relations in the 1970's, I recommend In the Spirit of Crazy Horse by Peter Mathiessen. It focuses on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota but shows why many Native Americans looked to extreme and sometimes violent measures to address their grievances.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: I Would Realy Realy Like To Know !! #39172
05/31/06 10:54 AM
05/31/06 10:54 AM
H
henry Offline
Button
henry  Offline
H
Button
What a bloated phony. The great Brando agreed to audition for the roll knowing it could revive his dead career then makes a big show about refusing the award.He was a self indulgent whale who spent the better part of his life fathering children out wedlock and abusing alcohol.

Danny Thomas would have given a much better performance and undoubtedly been a gracious gentleman at the Oscars.

Re: I Would Realy Realy Like To Know !! #39173
05/31/06 01:16 PM
05/31/06 01:16 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally posted by henry:
Danny Thomas would have given a much better performance and undoubtedly been a gracious gentleman at the Oscars.
Brando had his personal shortcomings but Danny Thomas? Puleeze. If Danny Thomas had gotten the role there would be no Godfather website like this today. Danny Thomas was a very ingenious producer of television shows, and thats it. He was not particularly funny, and he could not act in a dramatic role to save his life. In short Danny Thomas never gets that picture!

Re: I Would Realy Realy Like To Know !! #39174
05/31/06 04:39 PM
05/31/06 04:39 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally posted by dontomasso:
Originally posted by henry:
[b] Danny Thomas would have given a much better performance and undoubtedly been a gracious gentleman at the Oscars.
Brando had his personal shortcomings but Danny Thomas? Puleeze. If Danny Thomas had gotten the role there would be no Godfather website like this today. Danny Thomas was a very ingenious producer of television shows, and thats it. He was not particularly funny, and he could not act in a dramatic role to save his life. In short Danny Thomas never gets that picture! [/b]
Danny Thomas was kind of famous for his comedic spit-takes(he'd be drinking a glass of water when someone would say or do something startling, unsettling or outrageous, causing him to spray/spit his drink across the room).
Could you imagine Don Danny sipping his wine when Hagen tells him that Michael shot Solozzo?

Re: I Would Realy Realy Like To Know !! #39175
05/31/06 05:43 PM
05/31/06 05:43 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Danny Thomas....no.
Laurence Olivier....yes.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: I Would Realy Realy Like To Know !! #39176
06/28/06 01:31 PM
06/28/06 01:31 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Werent they also considering Ernest Borgnine? That would have been awful.

Re: I Would Realy Realy Like To Know !! #39177
06/28/06 01:36 PM
06/28/06 01:36 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Not as awful as Danny Boy.

And I can just see the opening credits rolling now......

"With Rusty Hamer as his son, and Angela Cartwright as his daughter."

lol

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: I Would Realy Realy Like To Know !! #39178
06/28/06 01:53 PM
06/28/06 01:53 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

And Uncle Tonouse as Tessio lol

Re: I Would Realy Realy Like To Know !! #39179
06/28/06 03:59 PM
06/28/06 03:59 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
George C. Scott was also regarded highly for the role. Both he and Borgnine were Academy Award winners, and would have done the role justice although they almost certainly wouldn't have raised the role to the iconic heights it enjoys today as a result of Brando's performance.

Re: I Would Realy Realy Like To Know !! #39180
06/29/06 03:41 PM
06/29/06 03:41 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

George C. Scott was also regarded highly for the role. Both he and Borgnine were Academy Award winners, and would have done the role justice although they almost certainly wouldn't have raised the role to the iconic heights it enjoys today as a result of Brando's performance. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Borgnine won in the 50's for Marty, I believe, and was well over the hill by the time of the Godfather. Scott, while a fine actor lacked the nuance the role demanded. General Patton and Vito Corleone were leaders of a very different stripe.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull