GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, Lou_Para), 330 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,890
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,663
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Getting Made in the Modern Age #616881
10/09/11 12:35 AM
10/09/11 12:35 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline OP
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline OP
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
Hi guys I had some questions regarding getting made these days. Firstly is it still the same that a Captain will propose an underling to the boss? Also with modern day structures with numerous bosses who decides everything who is at the ceremony?

I heard that until the late 70s the books had been closed for 20 years, in the current day do the books get opened whenever a family feels it necessary, ie they don't need permission from other families?
Do a family make guys today to replace people who have been convicted or have died?
I know the Colombo's had a ceremony busted by the feds last year but does anyone else have any stories about modern making ceremonies?
Sorry for so many questions!

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: NickyScarfo] #616883
10/09/11 02:04 AM
10/09/11 02:04 AM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
The families havent closed the books in a long time since they reopened them in the 70s. They need all the new guys they can get. From what I can gather, a Captain still proposes a guy to the boss. The administration that is out on the street attends the making ceremony. Guys are made to replace guys who are dead, but there are ways that families get around this (i.e. Bonannos picked random names out of a phone book and said those guys died to justify making new guys during the Massino era)

The Colombos ceremony wasnt busted, the feds trailed the family to the ceremony and once the colombos realized the feds were on their tail they cancelled/rescheduled the ceremony.

I know that when Basciano was leading the Bonannos he re-instituted the whole gun and knife into the ceremony, it was taken out in the past cause the family feared that if they got raided they would be pinched for weapons possession.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: NickyScarfo] #616886
10/09/11 02:49 AM
10/09/11 02:49 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: NickyScarfo

I know the Colombo's had a ceremony busted by the feds last year but does anyone else have any stories about modern making ceremonies?
Sorry for so many questions!

Arillotta talked about when he got made -

Arillotta said he was summoned to a restaurant in The Bronx called Nebraska Steakhouse on August 11, 2003. He and another mobster hoping to be “made” were told to leave behind their beepers, jewelry, and cell phones at the bar and they were driven to an apartment building. They were first met by Steve Alfisi a Genovese family soldier who told Arillotta to wait his turn in a small bathroom. Arillotta said about 15 minutes later the door opened and Stevie said , Ant its your turn and he was told to get undressed taking all of his cloths off and to put on a bathrobe. After he was undressed Arillotta said he was told he could leave on his underwear and was handed the bathrobe. When asked by prosecutor Mark Lanpher what the point of undressing and wearing a bathrobe was for , Arillotta said it was to make sure he was not wearing any type of wire or listening device or recorder.

Arillotta went to from there to explain the scene which is familiar to mafia movie fans. Arillotta said he was led into a room where there was a table with a gun on it and Genovese mobsters Pasquale “Scop” DeLuca and Arthur Nigro sitting at it. He was then told by Nigro was is the former acting boss of the Genovese family that they were part of the secret society named La Cosa Nostra , Arillotta said he then agreed to become a member. Then Arillotta said he was asked by Nigro if he would commit murder , would he commit murder for him and he said yes. Arillotta said his finger was then pricked by Nigro with a pin and his blood was smeared on a piece of blank paper that was then set on fire in Arillota’s cupped hands. Then Arillotta was directed to repeat after Nigro that he would never divulge that the meeting ever took place or any secrets of the family or ever cooperate with law enforcement or he would burn like the piece of paper in his hands.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: IvyLeague] #616905
10/09/11 09:18 AM
10/09/11 09:18 AM
J
joey_dice Offline
joey_dice
joey_dice  Offline
joey_dice
J
Capo
Why would you want to get made in this day and age, if your made it's easier to get a Ricco charge because the connection to the "family" is easier to prove, you are a priced target for the FBI and will garner more attention to your activities. Personally I think being an avtive associate is a better gig these days.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: IvyLeague] #616907
10/09/11 09:27 AM
10/09/11 09:27 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
[quote=NickyScarfo]La Cosa Nostra

Italian-American mobsters have now also adapted the "La" thing? You got to be kidding me.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: joey_dice] #616922
10/09/11 12:31 PM
10/09/11 12:31 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: joey_dice
Why would you want to get made in this day and age, if your made it's easier to get a Ricco charge because the connection to the "family" is easier to prove, you are a priced target for the FBI and will garner more attention to your activities. Personally I think being an avtive associate is a better gig these days.

The reason people become bosses is egos. The reason the bosses kill is their ego. The reason people get made is egos. They could just as easily decline, as Frankie Flowers did, never be viewed as a public menace. That's kind of what LCN is about. Having thin skin and killing over it, then making the guys who love themselves just as much.

Ivy, that excerpt is pretty funny. It's also a genius idea, finding an actual use for a bathroom stall and keeping it privatized while never asking anyone to leave the room. I remember a scene from Witness to the Mob where the Genovese were conducting meetings in public restrooms. I don't know if there was any factual basis, but it's pretty interesting. Also made way for the best line of the movie 'you're in the wrong room [Genovese member] I heard you sit down to piss'. Before Nicky Cowboy shoots him. But I digress...

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: NickyScarfo] #616927
10/09/11 12:58 PM
10/09/11 12:58 PM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline OP
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline OP
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
Its interesting to consider what are the benefits today for getting made other than stature? In decades past it would of have had many benefits but today...all I'm seeing are drawbacks.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: BarrettM] #616930
10/09/11 01:56 PM
10/09/11 01:56 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: BarrettM
I remember a scene from Witness to the Mob where the Genovese were conducting meetings in public restrooms. I don't know if there was any factual basis, but it's pretty interesting.

That was based on a real incident, Barrett. A couple of Jersey based Genovese guys were picked up on a wiretap in a restaurant bathroom discussing plans to kill Gotti (on orders from Gigante). The Feds were then dutybound to warn Gotti, and probably saved his life in doing so.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: pizzaboy] #616933
10/09/11 02:39 PM
10/09/11 02:39 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: BarrettM
I remember a scene from Witness to the Mob where the Genovese were conducting meetings in public restrooms. I don't know if there was any factual basis, but it's pretty interesting.

That was based on a real incident, Barrett. A couple of Jersey based Genovese guys were picked up on a wiretap in a restaurant bathroom discussing plans to kill Gotti (on orders from Gigante). The Feds were then dutybound to warn Gotti, and probably saved his life in doing so.

i remember that, who were those jersey guys? I forgot... wasnt bobby manna one of them?

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: Dapper_Don] #616934
10/09/11 02:44 PM
10/09/11 02:44 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Yeah, Dapper. The wiretap was at Manna's restaurant in Hoboken.

Bobby Manna's Manna and Fat Man Irwin

Louis Anthony Manna, also known as "Bobby," was incensed, furious, irate, in fact very annoyed. The 59-year-old consigliere of the Genovese family was venting his spleen with some of his closest friends and aides at his operating base, Cassella's Restaurant, Hoboken, New Jersey. Unfortunately for him and them, every word they uttered was being recorded on an FBI wiretap, even though they were conversing in the men's room. The deviousness of the FBI bugging teams knows no decent boundaries.

Manna's manna was being sorely savaged by the actions of two different people who were both connected, but miles apart. And both were about to feel the sting of his anger. One was John Gotti, boss of the Gambino family, who would ultimately weather the storm; the other was Irwin Schiff, whose metaphysical ship, himself, would sink with all hands.

The tape heard Manna and his pals discussing plans to murder John and his brother Gene outside their social club in Queens, The Bergen Hunt and Fish Club, where the only fishing was done with rods that fire.38 calibre bullets, and the only hunting occurred across the concrete landscape of New York. The crime they had committed to warrant this finite action was their apparent intention to move into New Jersey and muscle in on the lucrative gambling and labour racketeering business, then the prerogative of the Genoveses.

The man who supposedly would whack the Gottis was Frank "Dipsy" Daniello, a retired Hoboken, New Jersey, police lieutenant. The tape only ever referred to Schiff and his intended killing as the "the fat man," so the FBI were never able to pin this one down. Gotti was subsequently warned by the authorities that his life was under threat. Two FBI agents, Bruce Mouw and George Gabriel, visited John Gotti at his home in Howards Beach and warned him of the threat. Gotti claimed he had no enemies, but when he learned that the threat was originating from the Genovese, he sent Sammy Gravano, newly appointed consigliere of the family, to talk to Gigante's underboss and let them know that they knew of the plot. The Genoveses of course denied it all, but Gotti made sure he had plenty of men around him from that time on, just in case.

Irwin Schiff was big 350 pounds and six-foot three. A 50-year-old con man and loan shark, he was connected to the Gambinos. He was involved in the talent agency business, boxing promotion field and investment business. He was also robbing the Genovese family by skimming money off the top of a money-laundering operation that was run by the family, through him, out of Atlantic City.

On August 8, 1987, he went to dinner with the wife of a friend. She was a beautiful blonde model called Judy Galip. They were dinning at a very exclusive place, Sergio Bravo Ristorante at 1452 Second Avenue, on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Just as Irwin was about to dive into the desert of his $90 dinner, a man walked up behind him in the crowded restaurant and shot him with a .25 calibre revolver at point blank range, in the head, twice. The killer was allegedly identified as Tony Rotolo, a 46-year-old Italian immigrant.

As a result of the wire taps, and supporting evidence from people like Cafaro, Manna and his mobster friends went on trial on May 6, 1989, at Newark Federal Court, on various racketeering charges, including the murder of Schiff. On June 26, Bobby Manna's manna gave up on him completely and he went to prison for 80 years. The judge in his case was Judge Maryanne Trump, sister of Donald Trump.

Here's the full link: http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/gangsters_outlaws/family_epics/genovese1/20.html

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: NickyScarfo] #616936
10/09/11 03:31 PM
10/09/11 03:31 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
^^^ thanks

the freaking genovese had bobby manna and tino fiumara running around in NJ

thats a fearsome one two punch thats for sure

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: Sonny_Black] #616974
10/09/11 10:15 PM
10/09/11 10:15 PM
Ivan Offline
Underboss
Ivan  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

Italian-American mobsters have now also adapted the "La" thing? You got to be kidding me.

Sounds retarded, doesn't it? It's like saying "the our thing".

FBI still uses it. I wonder if they will ever get around to fixing that?

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: NickyScarfo] #617010
10/10/11 06:04 AM
10/10/11 06:04 AM
Otisville FCI, New York
JohnSacrimoni Offline
Wiseguy
JohnSacrimoni  Offline
Wiseguy
Otisville FCI, New York
Aren't there financial advantages to being made as in kicking up a lower percentage upstairs (in the region of 10% vs 50%) and access to more lucrative family rackets?

What happened to this thing? We bend more rules than the Catholic Church.
Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: JohnSacrimoni] #617011
10/10/11 06:13 AM
10/10/11 06:13 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline OP
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline OP
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
Yeah Iv'e wondered about this I guess the benefits are that you get access to more rackets, though if your not made maybe there is less pressure to kick up specific amounts, I mean if your a non-Italian associate are you put under strict guidelines? Because then they could always take their business elsewhere.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: JohnSacrimoni] #617022
10/10/11 09:56 AM
10/10/11 09:56 AM
W
WTFMaNg Offline
Wiseguy
WTFMaNg  Offline
W
Wiseguy
Originally Posted By: JohnSacrimoni
Aren't there financial advantages to being made as in kicking up a lower percentage upstairs (in the region of 10% vs 50%) and access to more lucrative family rackets?

Your stupid nobody kicks up half their loot.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: WTFMaNg] #617062
10/10/11 05:10 PM
10/10/11 05:10 PM
yigido Offline
Capo
yigido  Offline
Capo
Originally Posted By: WTFMaNg

guess you are a made men how else would you know.

i was wondering if the families would induct people just to increase the size of the family? or is it just really to replace people.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: NickyScarfo] #617097
10/10/11 09:32 PM
10/10/11 09:32 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

There's no exact percentage set in stone. Back in 2008 Gambino indictment, it was said the administration was receiving 10% of the family's income. That was after each captain had taken their share and kicked the rest up the ladder. Going back further, Accetturo balked when Amuso and Casso demanded 50% from the Lucchese family's crew in Jersey. Chin was said to take very little money off his captains because he was already a millionaire and didn't need it. From what I understand, you have more freedom as an associate. But you have more clout and often more earning potential if you're made.

The rule in New York is they only replace guys that have died. And maybe 2 at Christmas if they still do that. New guys have to be OK'd by the other families. This is to keep a relative balance and to make sure one family doesn't induct a bunch of new members and outpace the others. But that appears to be what the Bonannos did when they went from about 100 members up to as many as 150 by picking names out of the phone book, saying they had been members that had died, and using them as reasons to make new guys.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: NickyScarfo] #617112
10/11/11 12:38 AM
10/11/11 12:38 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline OP
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline OP
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
Aren't all the NY families operating below what there max numbers potentially could be? If we say the Gambino's and Genovese have 200 members currently isn't there capacity about 250-60? I think that's roughly the membership the Gambino's had under Castellano.
Or have the maximum numbers come down today?

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: NickyScarfo] #617113
10/11/11 01:09 AM
10/11/11 01:09 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

The Genovese and Gambino families each have a little over 200 total members. The Lucchese, Colombo, and Bonanno families each have a little over 100 total members.

"Total" means everybody - active, inactive, in prison, under indictment, etc.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: Ivan] #617114
10/11/11 01:40 AM
10/11/11 01:40 AM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted By: Ivan

Totally. And nothing for nothing, but from what it sounds heaps of American LCN guys embrace the term. I thought it was the Sicilians that made a point of dropping the "La".

(cough.)
Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: WTFMaNg] #617116
10/11/11 01:43 AM
10/11/11 01:43 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted By: WTFMaNg

He said "in the region of". And Sacrimoni has contributed more to the boards then you have at this stage. BTW, it's "you're", not "your". So WTF mang?

(cough.)
Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #617126
10/11/11 03:03 AM
10/11/11 03:03 AM
Ivan Offline
Underboss
Ivan  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
Originally Posted By: Ivan

Totally. And nothing for nothing, but from what it sounds heaps of American LCN guys embrace the term. I thought it was the Sicilians that made a point of dropping the "La".

It is grammatically incorrect in Italian (like I said, in Italian it sounds like "the our thing"). I'm guessing the American guys who use it don't know the Italian language all that well. The Sicilians would have never said "la" to begin with.

I think the FBI may have actually been the first to use the "la", but I'm not sure why. Nonetheless, the mistake seems to have become permanent.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: NickyScarfo] #617130
10/11/11 03:28 AM
10/11/11 03:28 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

This is my understanding - Under Hoover, the FBI had denied the existence of "the Mafia" for years. But that became harder to do after the Appalachin bust. I remember reading a comment by some official back around that time that said something like, "There's no Mafia but there is a La Cosa Nostra and we've been keeping tabs on it for some time." Apparently a way to save face. Even though it was referred to as "Cosa Nostra" in the FBI's own records, and later identified as such by Valachi, they came up with "La Cosa Nostra" so they could use the acronym "LCN" is their reports, despite it being grammatically incorrect.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: NickyScarfo] #617137
10/11/11 03:56 AM
10/11/11 03:56 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Totally. And we know how the FBI like acronyms. Or most governmental departments, for that matter.

But yeah, it is gramatically incorrect. I misworded my post, its not so much that the Sicilians "drop" the la, and more that the Americans have picked it up. I agree that the majority of Gotti era guys would not have had the most commanding grasp of the Italian language in any case.

(cough.)
Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: IvyLeague] #617144
10/11/11 04:43 AM
10/11/11 04:43 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
The Genovese and Gambino families each have a little over 200 total members. The Lucchese, Colombo, and Bonanno families each have a little over 100 total members.

"Total" means everybody - active, inactive, in prison, under indictment, etc.

Oh.
Someone who's serving a life sentence should not be on that list to begin with. Right?
I always thought that the membership # covered just those active or in the can but not for too long.

Is there a way to know the active membership for all 9 families?

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: LuanKuci] #617207
10/11/11 03:58 PM
10/11/11 03:58 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: LuanKuci

Oh.
Someone who's serving a life sentence should not be on that list to begin with. Right?
I always thought that the membership # covered just those active or in the can but not for too long.

They don't cease to be a member simply because they're in prison. You'd only remove somebody from the list if they die or flip.

Quote:
Is there a way to know the active membership for all 9 families?

Maybe a ball park estimate but it's easier to go with total figures since the number of active guys for each family is always changing.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: NickyScarfo] #617244
10/11/11 07:08 PM
10/11/11 07:08 PM
Slapout, Alabama
R
ronnie_little Offline
Made Member
ronnie_little  Offline
R
Made Member
Slapout, Alabama
Michael Franzese made the statement that when he was made you had to be Scicllian and he even said that Capone was not a full member since he was not Sicillian. Gotti and Genovese were not. I even found it on youtube and watched it again. He said your mother and father had to be. Oh well who knows......

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: NickyScarfo] #617247
10/11/11 07:51 PM
10/11/11 07:51 PM
Slapout, Alabama
R
ronnie_little Offline
Made Member
ronnie_little  Offline
R
Made Member
Slapout, Alabama
My bad the narrorator said it

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: NickyScarfo] #617261
10/11/11 10:11 PM
10/11/11 10:11 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
It seems as long as you had the name and were a criminal...you had a chance of getting in. For every guy that says it only for Sicilians there's a bunch of Napoltani and Calabrese or otherwise Italian guys inducted.

(cough.)
Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age [Re: ronnie_little] #617285
10/12/11 06:02 AM
10/12/11 06:02 AM
Orange County, CA
Nicholas Offline
Underboss
Nicholas  Offline
Underboss
Orange County, CA
Look at Steven Crea or the Corozzo, both have ancestors who hail from the far north of Italy, not just the south or even Campania, but Piedmont and Lombardy. There's definitely a lot of made guys who families are from the Rome, Lazio region, Basilicata, or Apulia. Though it definitely seems there's families with a lot of made guys with ancestry outside of Sicily

"The Feds are a business Anthony, millions of tax dollars are invested in watching your ass, sooner or later, just like you, their gonna want a return on their investment." --- Neil Mink, Tony Soprano's lawyer
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull