GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 328 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,890
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,665
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: pizzaboy] #618693
10/28/11 07:27 AM
10/28/11 07:27 AM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
forget that, who watched game 6 last night???

it was the best baseball game I have ever watched. I don't recall being actually nervous bceause of a game. I think I'll be a Cardinals fan now what you think?

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: Tony Mosrite] #618697
10/28/11 08:32 AM
10/28/11 08:32 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Tony Mosrite
it was the best baseball game I have ever watched.

It was one of the best games, for me. Especially considering that I was not rooting for either team. It was as if both teams didn't want to win, yet you know just the opposite was true.... the errors, the home runs and the going back and forth with the lead was nerve shattering.

In fact, other than Pujols' big game last Saturday, all the other games have been quite exciting as well. One of the better Series I've seen.

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: pizzaboy] #618718
10/28/11 01:48 PM
10/28/11 01:48 PM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline
Underboss
Fame  Offline
Underboss
Top o' the World
Wow again. After last night's SENSATIONAL one-in-a-million game, I thought for sure this thread would be loaded with posts. But I guess with no Yanks, Sox or Phillies, I'm expecting too much.

That game was one for the ages. I said it would go to game 7 but I never imagined such a scenario: everytime you think it's all over, the cards will make you think again. The numbers are crazy. The Cards were trailing FIVE times! It was down to last strike TWICE and they came back each time! You can't even understand the amount of pressure when facing elimination and yet they kept their heads up. It's never over till they call it a game, and that spirit is the stuff champions are made of. (whether they win tonight or not).

There is a new god in St.Louis and they call him David Freese.

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: Fame] #618726
10/28/11 03:08 PM
10/28/11 03:08 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Second best World Series game I've ever seen (after game 6 of the '86 World Series). And to be fair, I'm a Mets fan, so I'm biased about that game.

9th AND 10th inning 2 run comebacks? Are you frigggin kidding me?

You really have to root for the Cards now.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: pizzaboy] #618728
10/28/11 03:23 PM
10/28/11 03:23 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Second best World Series game I've ever seen (after game 6 of the '86 World Series). And to be fair, I'm a Mets fan, so I'm biased about that game.

Best Series game ever was Game 6 of the '75 Series when Carlton Fisk hit the game winning homer (and stood at the plate "begging" the ball to stay fair). OK, I'm a little biased, too.

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
9th AND 10th inning 2 run comebacks? Are you frigggin kidding me?

Not just that, but the Cards were ONE STRIKE away from losing in both innings.

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: pizzaboy] #618734
10/28/11 04:08 PM
10/28/11 04:08 PM
LeroyJones Offline
Made Member
LeroyJones  Offline
Made Member
Thats was a great game last night. Just unbelievable. Doesn't get much better then that and now a game 7!

SC am i mistaken or are you a Red Sox Fan? From Long Island out of Brooklyn? Not many R.S. fans in NY. lol

Last edited by LeroyJones; 10/28/11 04:19 PM.
Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: pizzaboy] #618753
10/28/11 08:30 PM
10/28/11 08:30 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
both of you are biased, sorry tongue

the more I think about it, I do believe it was the best baseball game of all time.

and David Freese keeps either hitting a walk-off-HR or erasing 2 run deficits everytime he goes to the plate. Game 7 2-2 right now.

The Bunk
Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: pizzaboy] #618763
10/29/11 12:39 AM
10/29/11 12:39 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Freese, MVP. Cards, Champs.

...whouda thunk it?! GREAT series!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: J Geoff] #618784
10/29/11 10:47 AM
10/29/11 10:47 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Great series.

Great for baseball that a "small market" team has now won 11 World Series championships.

Plus, that have an Italian manager. Yay Tony! lol

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: pizzaboy] #618787
10/29/11 11:48 AM
10/29/11 11:48 AM
LeroyJones Offline
Made Member
LeroyJones  Offline
Made Member
Wow, the Cards took it! Great series, i really enjoyed it this year.

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: pizzaboy] #618802
10/29/11 01:37 PM
10/29/11 01:37 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
That game 6 finale will go down in baseball folklore history. It reminds me some of the Pirates 7th game victory in '60. Game 6 was key this time and the Cards deserved to win.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: olivant] #618804
10/29/11 02:09 PM
10/29/11 02:09 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: olivant
That game 6 finale will go down in baseball folklore history. ... Game 6 was key this time and the Cards deserved to win.

Game 6 will, without a doubt, be listed as one of the greatest World Series games ever.

Prior to the game (Game 6) I thought Texas would win.... On paper, St Louis has a better team but Texas seemed that they wanted the win more. Game Six changed that.... Texas was deflated by the St Louis win, especially considering that they were TWICE within one strike of losing the game only to come back TWO TIMES and win. IMHO, even though Texas started Game 7 in a good fashion, it was already destined that Texas would lose.

I enjoyed the Series very much.

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: pizzaboy] #618813
10/29/11 03:55 PM
10/29/11 03:55 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
most people keep saying "one of the greatest" but what other game measure up to game 6?

during the live broadcasting I heard that there were 2 other times in baseball history when a team came back from within one strike of losing the World Series. Tom Verducci's column in SI.com says only the 86 Mets had done it. anyway, the Cards did it TWO TIMES, in consecutive innings, and then became just the fourth team in history to win on a walkoff homerun when facing elimination in the WS.

along with maybe the greatest individual performance in WS history, the first game 7 after the longest drought ever and at least other 2 highly exciting games (2 and 5), where does 2011 rank among the greatest World Series ever?

The Bunk
Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: Tony Mosrite] #618834
10/29/11 08:57 PM
10/29/11 08:57 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Game 6 was exciting, but it was played awful sloppy.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: Blibbleblabble] #618837
10/29/11 09:35 PM
10/29/11 09:35 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
Game 6 was exciting, but it was played awful sloppy.

Very true.

I think what I object to with Tony Mosrite calling it the best game ever played is best answered by Josh Alper who blogged the following:

It's safe to say that quite a few of us woke up Friday morning and wondered if we had dreamt up Game Six of the World Series.

It wasn't a dream. That game really happened.

A few cups of coffee and a chance to watch all of the highlights again has probably taken care of any lingering thoughts that the whole thing was a fevered baseball dream of the highest order. Now comes the time where we try to put the game in some kind of historical context.

That feels necessary because there's been some "Best World Series Game Ever" chatter flying about in the wake of the Cardinals' stunning 10-9 victory on David Freese's walk-off home run in the 11th inning. Is that a consequence of our national culture of instant satisfaction that forces everything to be the best or the most thing that's ever happened, or is there actual justification for those claims?

There were some things that make it feel like a contender for the crown. The Cardinals came back five different times to tie and, ultimately, win the game, with two of those comebacks coming when the team was facing their final strike and the end of the season.

There were so many moments that felt absolutely critical, from allowing Colby Lewis to bat with the bases loaded to back-to-back homers in the seventh to Josh Hamilton's 10th inning home run, and so many potential goats turned into heroes (Freese, Michael Young) that the narrative engine never stopped churning.

It ended on a walk-off home run, always a good thing for historical cred, and kept a team alive for one more chance at the title. Having circumstances like that certainly boost this game into the realm of the all-time greats, but there are some places where it falls short.

One reason is that it was Game Six, which means that it is naturally going to be fall short of the great World Series Game Sevens in history because only one team was facing the end of their season with a loss. The other is that the game simply wasn't all that well played.

There were five errors and several other defensive blunders, including Nelson Cruz's misplay on Freese's game-tying triple, that hurt both teams over the course of the proceedings. There were also questionable managerial decisions, baserunning mistakes and poor pitching performances to blemish the game in a way that we haven't seen in some of the other great World Series games of all time.

Quantifying the best is a difficult thing. What we should focus on is that Game Six might have been the most exciting baseball game of all time.

Other great World Series games -- 1975 Game Six (Carlton Fisk's home run), 1986 Game Six (Bill Buckner's error), 1988 Game One (Kirk Gibson's homer), 2001 Game Seven (Luis Gonzalez's dying quail) -- have been marked by one great moment that overshadow the rest of the game that came before. Others, like Jack Morris in 1991's Game Seven or Don Larsen's Perfect Game, have been marked by one dominant performance.

There have been games with more historical resonance, like the Brooklyn Dodgers finally breaking through in 1955, but it is hard to think of more than one other game that offered the kind of emotional swings that we saw last night. That one would be 1960's Game Seven, when Pirates second baseman Bill Mazeroski's homer beat the Yankees in the bottom of the ninth.

Both games ended with a 10-9 score, oddly enough, although the Pirates-Yankees affair played out quite differently. The Pirates jumped out to a big lead, the Yankees came back to build a 7-4 lead, the Pirates went up 9-7 on Hal Smith's three-run homer and then the Yankees tied the game on a truly amazing play when Mickey Mantle dove back into first after a forceout on Yogi Berra to allow Gil McDougald to score the tying run.

Then came Mazeroski's homer, giving you all the drama and entertainment nine innings of baseball can offer. You could say exactly the same thing about the game in St. Louis, except that it took 11 innings.

In the end, isn't that all we can ask for from a game? To be excited and entertained to the point that we're not quite sure that what we saw happen really happened?

Josh Alper is a writer living in New York City. You can follow him on Twitter and he is also a contributor to Pro Football Talk.
Copyright NBC Local Media©

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: pizzaboy] #618848
10/30/11 02:04 AM
10/30/11 02:04 AM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
good SC, that's exactly what I wanted to read about.

and oh no, game 6 was definitely not the best played game ever but in my opinion it might've been the best game ever played.

"Quantifying the best is a difficult thing. What we should focus on is that Game Six might have been the most exciting baseball game of all time"

so yeah, that does it for me, most exciting = best

Last edited by Tony Mosrite; 10/30/11 02:05 AM.

The Bunk
Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: Tony Mosrite] #618854
10/30/11 05:08 AM
10/30/11 05:08 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
I also want to point out two quotes from that blog. The first...

"There were five errors and several other defensive blunders, including Nelson Cruz's misplay on Freese's game-tying triple, that hurt both teams over the course of the proceedings. There were also questionable managerial decisions, baserunning mistakes and poor pitching performances to blemish the game in a way that we haven't seen in some of the other great World Series games of all time."

I have a hard time believing that a game can be the best ever played when the game was played so poorly. If the game was played the way a major league team SHOULD play, the outcome would have been entirely different and it would be just another forgettable world series victory for one of these teams.

I truly believe this is a case of people wanting to so badly believe they just witnessed something that is better than anything that has ever happened before. It's..

"a consequence of our national culture of instant satisfaction that forces everything to be the best"

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: pizzaboy] #618867
10/30/11 11:19 AM
10/30/11 11:19 AM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
I strongly disagree.

for me, the poor, sloppy manner in which the game was played only made it better.

I take much care in putting events into perspective and usually I absolutely refuse the hype - I remember how annoyed I was with TV the day of the rescue of the chilean miners - and that's exactly why I wanted to talk about it. and the more I read and talked about it the more I don't think any other game measure up (on excitement).

and that's mostly because two of the most dramatic scenarios posible in baseball, - being one strike away from losing the WS and winning on a walkoff homerun when facing elimination in the WS - which had occured only 5 times in different occasions throughout 130 years of history happened in 3 consecutive innings. the only time I recall being as excited because of a sport event was when my small market team was within minutes of beating Barcelona in the FIFA Club World Cup.

one thing is to look desperately for instant satisfaction and that can make you overrate an event but another one is to see the train of history pass in front of you and not get on board. I'm still not sure which case this is.

Last edited by Tony Mosrite; 10/30/11 11:21 AM.

The Bunk
Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: pizzaboy] #618913
10/30/11 08:16 PM
10/30/11 08:16 PM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline
Underboss
Fame  Offline
Underboss
Top o' the World
Fascinating debate going on here, much bigger than baseball. It's down to why we're watching ANY soprts.

Tony, you say exciting = best. And I half-agree and half-disagree. It's true that I watch sport to be excited but if I watch professional players then I expect some talent as well. If they fail to provide the talent which made them professionals yet they fight with nothing but guts, then yes we just may witness the most exciting game, but that's far from being the MLB's best game ever.

If sheer guts and nail-biting scoring are all that matters, then the best baseball game I've ever watched took place in a local yard between my classmates. It was not on TV, and no one outside my neighborhood even heard about it.

What I'm trying to say is that high level of play only adds to the excitement, and once both exist - THAT'S when you have the best game ever!

What we witnessed in game 6, the tension in the air, the number of records, that's enough to call it history and SENSATIONAL as I said so myself, but believe me it could've been much more exciting without all those unforced errors. Imagine two teams playing the top of their game from start to finish. And imagine the game to be just as tight.

You mention Barcelona - the soccer team. You know why they have tons of fans all over the world? not just because they keep on winning and breaking records, but because watching them passing the ball is like watching a concert. Their level of gameplay is so high that no other team is able to imitate even tho many teams try. Real Madrid, their biggest rival, is pretty much a collection of big stars in the same team. They could win against them, but their soccer is not as impresive or exciting to watch.

What's the greatest tennis match ever in my opinion? the 2008 Wimbledon final between Federer and Nadal. Why? because not only it was close all the way, but because both players provided their very best tennis. Nadal won it eventually because he was the better warrior. But both played unbelievable tennis all the way to the end.

Anyways back to MLB: great series, worthy champions who never gave up. Too bad for the Rangers who will now have to wait at least a couple more years to get it done. (since we all know the Cubs will win it next year wink

btw Tony, which soccer team (small market) were you talking about?

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: pizzaboy] #618984
10/31/11 01:46 PM
10/31/11 01:46 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
Sport Club Internacional aka Inter

we won the Club World Cup in december 17th, 2006, in the real greatest sport event of all time tongue

Adriano Gabiru scored the winning goal at 82 minutes and the final 10 or so minutes of that game were almost too much for me to handle.

The Bunk
Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: pizzaboy] #620580
11/17/11 02:07 PM
11/17/11 02:07 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Big baseball news today: Houston Astros got sold, will move to the AL West in 2013.

Also, two additional wildcard teams will make the playoffs, a total of 5 in each League.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7246443/houston-astros-sale-approved-mlb

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 11/17/11 02:08 PM.
Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #620581
11/17/11 02:13 PM
11/17/11 02:13 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Big baseball news today: Houston Astros got sold, will move to the AL West in 2013.

Also, two additional wildcard teams will make the playoffs, a total of 5 in each League.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7246443/houston-astros-sale-approved-mlb

you forgot about the cubs offering their head coaching job to dale sveum. 2012 or 2013 world series champs.

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #620595
11/17/11 04:41 PM
11/17/11 04:41 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

Money, money, money rolleyes.

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: pizzaboy] #620603
11/17/11 05:46 PM
11/17/11 05:46 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Papelbum signed with Philly. Good move on the Phils part or no?

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: pizzaboy] #620610
11/17/11 06:10 PM
11/17/11 06:10 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
terrible move...

so now there will be an interleague game everyday? or (most likely) it will be imposible to make up a full schedule with everyone playing on the same day.

other than that try picture how the Astros will fare in the AL West. I feel for gina as I'd feel bitchslapped in the face if I was an Astros fan. especially in the MLB with the huge difference between AL/NL and then some millionaires make an agreement and your team is flip-flopped in the leagues overnight.

and expanding the playoffs? really?? yeah, sure, make it harder to develop a multi-champion superteam and fill the playoofs with 50% teams...

actually, any formula would be good with they just stick with it and let people get used to and it become a tradition. if someone criticized the pre-2012 format MLB could say "just look at Day 162 and the whole playoffs of 2011 and tell me it isn't just great" but no, right after their year they feel like they just have to screw it all up.

Last edited by Tony Mosrite; 11/17/11 06:12 PM.

The Bunk
Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: pizzaboy] #621156
11/21/11 08:47 PM
11/21/11 08:47 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Justin Verlander wins both AL Cy Young and MVP trophies.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/726553...ers-wins-al-mvp

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: pizzaboy] #621159
11/21/11 08:53 PM
11/21/11 08:53 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
He's a BAAAAAAAAAAAAD Man! lol

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: Lilo] #622199
11/29/11 07:08 PM
11/29/11 07:08 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #622238
11/30/11 02:36 AM
11/30/11 02:36 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Justin Verlander wins both AL Cy Young and MVP trophies.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/726553...ers-wins-al-mvp

I think this is stupid.

I heard a quote from the great Kirby Puckett. This was said after he came in second in the MVP voting to relief pitcher Dennis Eckersley in 1992 (paraphrasing):

"It's okay, next year I'll bat .340, hit 40 homeruns, and 120 RBI's and win the Cy Young".

Pitchers have their own award. They shouldn't be open to two awards when hitters only qualify for one.

EDIT: Unless they add a hitter's only award as well. The Babe Ruth Award or something like that.

Last edited by Blibbleblabble; 11/30/11 02:41 AM.

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs [Re: Blibbleblabble] #622278
11/30/11 07:55 AM
11/30/11 07:55 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Ehh, I don't see it that way and not just b/c I'm a Detroit guy.
One of the first people to win the MVP was a pitcher. Even after the Cy Young award was established there were still pitchers that were good enough to compete and win for both.

At first glance it doesn't seem right that someone who only plays every 4-5 days can be eligible for the same award as someone who's there day in and day out. But with someone as talented as Verlander you could almost pencil in a win every time he was in the lineup. It's hard to say that about any batter.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3