GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 282 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,438
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,508
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,335
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Watching the films for the first time... #38853
05/09/06 10:05 AM
05/09/06 10:05 AM
Oswego, IL, USA
Struck By the Thunderbolt Offline OP
Wiseguy
Struck By the Thunderbolt  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Oswego, IL, USA
I'm 16, and I'm finally getting around to watching The Godfather for the first time. I've been planning on it ever since last summer, when I played Romeo in an early 60s mafia setting of Romeo and Juliet.

I finally watched the original film on AMC; then I read the book in two days and I'm halfway through the second film. Next up after I finish watching the trilogy is reading The Sicilian, and then The Godfather Returns.

This isn't the literary area in which I usually foray. My favourite books are The Lord of the Rings and Dune, so this is very different from what I am used to. I'm really looking forward to buying the DVD trilogy when the time finally comes.

Just thought I'd let you all know that the appeal of the Godfather lives on, and not just in wannabe gangsters...

Mr. Corleone is a man who insists on hearing bad news immediately.
Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38854
05/09/06 10:50 AM
05/09/06 10:50 AM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline
The Don
Underboss
London
Good to see a young fan of the series. Enjoy the films

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38855
05/09/06 10:55 AM
05/09/06 10:55 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Originally posted by Struck By the Thunderbolt:

I finally watched the original film on AMC; then I read the book in two days and I'm halfway through the second film. Next up after I finish watching the trilogy is reading The Sicilian, and then The Godfather Returns....

....Just thought I'd let you all know that the appeal of the Godfather lives on, and not just in wannabe gangsters...
It's nice to know that a good read lives on. On the novel side of the board, we have an 8th grader chiming in. This is something you should both know:

The Godfather is a trash novel. It's a great trash novel, but it's trash novel, nonetheless. At your ages, you should be reading great books by people like Joseph Conrad, Alexandre Dumas, and Jack London. Once you read all of those, you can move on to Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters.

Once you have all of that background, then you will be able to find something useful in trash novels like The Godfather and the Da Vinci Code.

And whoever placed Romeo and Juliet in a 60's mafia setting is an idiot.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38856
05/09/06 10:57 AM
05/09/06 10:57 AM
Oswego, IL, USA
Wiseguy
Wiseguy
Oswego, IL, USA
Originally posted by mustachepete:
And whoever placed Romeo and Juliet in a 60's mafia setting is an idiot. [/QB]
A huge Godfather fan, actually. And it worked out brilliantly. Had a lot of parallels to GF, actually. In that setting, Romeo is very much Michael Corleone.

Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38857
05/09/06 11:02 AM
05/09/06 11:02 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by mustachepete:
[QUOTE]... whoever placed Romeo and Juliet in a 60's mafia setting is an idiot.
Don't be so sure about that.

It worked pretty well in a 1950's NYC street gang setting -under the name of 'West Side Story'.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38858
05/09/06 01:29 PM
05/09/06 01:29 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia

A huge Godfather fan, actually.
A far, far better thing that he be a Shakespeare fan.

Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38859
05/09/06 02:19 PM
05/09/06 02:19 PM
California
WildTrout Offline
Wiseguy
WildTrout  Offline
Wiseguy
California
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally watched the original film on AMC; then I read the book in two days and I'm halfway through the second film. Next up after I finish watching the trilogy is reading The Sicilian, and then The Godfather Returns....

Wow! Two days? I read it when I was 16, and it took me three days. cool

But if Clemenza can figure a way to have a weapon planted there for me then I'll kill 'em both.
Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38860
05/09/06 02:29 PM
05/09/06 02:29 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
Sorry but I have to chime in on the whole "who he should be reading" thing.

I won't sit here and say that Conrad, Faulkner, and Co. aren't awesomely great writers, but for 75% of high school students, those writers are too much for kids who are more interested in trying to be cool and getting laid. At least that is how it was when I was in HS.

In today's society, we should be happy that high school students are reading anything, so The Godfather would be an excellent book to read in HS.

I wasn't mature enough to get into Shakespeare and Joyce until college, and I'm not sure I could get into Ulysses even now.

High Schools should expand their ciriculum and allow students to pick from a list the books they want to read. Otherwise kids are just going to be reaching for the Cliff Notes when the usual suspects are rammed down their throat. Because nothing is more boring than Ethan Frome.

Besides, The Godfather, trashy as it may be, does have some excellent themes for High School students to chew on and learn from.

Just my 2ยข.

Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38861
05/09/06 02:34 PM
05/09/06 02:34 PM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
Also, 16 is an excellent age to get into these films. I watched them my senior year in HS when I was 17. Instantly fell in love with them. And it's a love affair going on ten years. God... has it been that long already? I remember watching these films for the first time like it was yesterday.

Anyway, about watching these films as a teenager: They are still "cool" enough to hold teenagers attention, but the films contain enough "quality" to really propel teenagers into more complex art, both in film and literature.

If I had never seen the Godfather, I really don't think I would have ever been drawn into the classics... Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Gone with the Wind...

It opened my eyes to an era of cinema (th one before the year I was born, LOL) which up until then, I had pretty much ignored.

Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38862
05/09/06 02:42 PM
05/09/06 02:42 PM
Oswego, IL, USA
Wiseguy
Wiseguy
Oswego, IL, USA
I'm a huge Shakespeare fan, myself. I love Shakespeare. First I played Romeo, then I played Macduff in Macbeth.

It's not as though I don't read the literary classics. As I said, Tolkien. I'm a big fan of all the classics, as are most of my friends.

You mention Dumas. I've read Three Musketeers and Monte Cristo.

Jane Austen? I'm reading Pride and Prejudice right now, and I'm aiming for the role of Darcy in my theatre company this summer.

1984 is one of my favourites, as well.

The teenager stereotyping going around here is disturbing me.

By the way, my favourite film of all time is Lawrence of Arabia.

Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38863
05/09/06 03:09 PM
05/09/06 03:09 PM
england
anthony lee Offline
Made Member
anthony lee  Offline
Made Member
england
I do have to agree there is a lil too much stereotyping going on for teenagers here , as I am only 15 and I have been a big godfather fan for a year now and I've watched the trilogy and read the book.

I think Romeo and Juliet can probably be played in any timeline , which is why its a timeless classic smile

IN MY HOME!IN MY BEDROOM WHERE MY WIFE SLEEPS!where my children come to play with their toys...
Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38864
05/09/06 03:58 PM
05/09/06 03:58 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Young ones:

Be very careful about playing the "stereotyping" card. People in this world have been stereotyped but good, from Ireland to Germany to the American South, and every point in between, and if it ever happens to you then you'll beg to have back the day when some old grouch told you that you shouldn't be wasting your time on trashy novels.

Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38865
05/09/06 04:08 PM
05/09/06 04:08 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Some high school must reads include:

Steinbeck's Winter of our Discontent
Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby
Malamud's The Fixer
Salinger's Catcher in the Rye
Knowles' A Separate Peace
Melville's Moby Dick and
Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

I'd also throw in Verne's The Mysterious Island.

Nothing wrong with a junior or senior reading The Godfather, a perfect summer read, and the basis for the greatest cinematic achievements.

Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38866
05/09/06 09:35 PM
J
JohnnyGaganucci Offline
Associate
JohnnyGaganucci  Offline
J
Associate
I have to disagree with what they are saying about reading the novels. With the exceptions of Julius Caesar and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, I didn't enjoy any of the novels the teachers and professors forced down my throat. I ended up resorting to Cliff Notes or asking my friends because the books weren't interesting. They were downright boring. The ones I enjoyed were the ones I found on my own.

The Godfather is one novel I enjoyed very much. But I think that was due to the fact I had seen the movie so many times prior to reading it, that the novel was just adding background information.

I then decided to read The Fortunate Pilgrim since so many, including Puzo, have said it was better than The Godfather. I couldn't disagree more.

Let kids choose what novels they want to read. If they're going to be forced to read, it should be brief (not short by the true definition) stories.

Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38867
J
JohnnyGaganucci Offline
Associate
JohnnyGaganucci  Offline
J
Associate
Originally posted by JohnnyGaganucci:
I have to disagree with what they are saying about reading the novels. With the exceptions of Julius Caesar and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, I didn't enjoy any of the novels the teachers and professors forced down my throat. I ended up resorting to Cliff Notes or asking my friends what happened because the books weren't interesting. They were downright boring. The ones I enjoyed were the ones I found on my own.

The Godfather is one novel I enjoyed very much. But I think that was due to the fact I had seen the movie so many times prior to reading it, that the novel was just adding background information.

I then decided to read The Fortunate Pilgrim since so many, including Puzo, have said it was better than The Godfather. I couldn't disagree more.

Let kids choose what novels they want to read. If they're going to be forced to read, it should be brief (not short by the true definition) stories.

Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38868
05/09/06 09:41 PM
05/09/06 09:41 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
I have to disagree with what they are saying about reading the novels. With the exceptions of Julius Caesar and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, I didn't enjoy any of the novels the teachers and professors forced down my throat. I ended up resorting to Cliff Notes or asking my friends because the books weren't interesting. They were downright boring. The ones I enjoyed were the ones I found on my own.

Boringness is subjective. What you think is boring may not be to another. Laziness and resorting to cliffnotes varies aswell.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38869
05/09/06 09:51 PM
05/09/06 09:51 PM
J
JohnnyGaganucci Offline
Associate
JohnnyGaganucci  Offline
J
Associate
And greatness is subjective, too. Most movie watchers and critics rank Godfather I & II in the top five movies of all time. However, there are people who disagree and don't even like the movies.

I wonder what percentage of people who read the "classic" novels actually enjoyed them.

Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38870
05/10/06 05:03 AM
05/10/06 05:03 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Most movie watchers and critics rank Godfather I & II in the top five movies of all time. However, there are people who disagree and don't even like the movies.
well, morons do in fact exist. grin lol

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38871
05/10/06 10:42 AM
05/10/06 10:42 AM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
If you polled every high school student in America, I bet an overwhelmingly large amount of them would say they found the "classics" boring and resorted to Cliff's Notes to pass the tests that accompanied those books.

I think that is what is wrong with the school system today... that they aren't adapting to society today. They're sticking with the classics and alienating a new generation of students who aren't interested in them anymore.

I'm not trying to stereotype any teenagers or anything, but on a whole, most of them aren't interested in the classics -- at least not at that age -- but they do have interests. We should allow their interests to play a larger role in reading.

If a student wanted to do a book report on The Godfather, I think that would be fine. Like I said there are plently of themes in that book that could really spark a 17 year old's essay.

After all it is better to have a student leave high school having actually read a book -- instead of having him rely on Cliff's Notes or the internet to pass a test on a book he didn't want to read.

Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38872
05/10/06 11:06 AM
05/10/06 11:06 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
The problem with this line of thought is that the job of a school is not to ensure that students aren't bored or to let students read what they want but rather to educate students and prepare them to enter society.

While I don't dispute that there are themes in Puzo that can impart life lessons, it's hardly the best way to show students the craft of literature. A good teacher will find a way to relate the classics to things that interest the students.

There are certainly differences of opinion on what is great writing, but those decisions are better made by teachers than high school students.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38873
05/10/06 05:03 PM
05/10/06 05:03 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
[b] Most movie watchers and critics rank Godfather I & II in the top five movies of all time. However, there are people who disagree and don't even like the movies.
well, morons do in fact exist. grin lol [/b]
lol [Linked Image] lol

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38874
05/10/06 09:15 PM
05/10/06 09:15 PM
USA
F
flucko Offline
Button
flucko  Offline
F
Button
USA
First off, I haven't read The Godfather by Mario Puzo, but I will eventually come to a point that I just have to smile

Teenagers today are exposed to very little of the classic world. I think it's good that high schools still somewhat enforces students to read the classics. The thing about Cliff Notes and the Internet is that they are only useful if you're writing an essay and are definitely not useful if you're taking a test.

What young people have to understand that there are books other than Harry Potter that exist. The world of literature is huge and very rich. Yeah, there are some older books that I just couldn't bare to read on (like The Once and Future King) but there are also books that defines the greatness of literature. But young people should choose what they would like to read. Just because they are searching for classics doesn't mean they are obligated to read Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, and Charles Dickens ... there are so much more writers out there to choose from.

As for classic movies, I'm a sucker for them. (That reminds me that I still have to watch Citizen Kane!) But I think my first exposure to them is when I saw The Godfather. I think anyone who is interested in starting off in watching classic movies should definitely check out The Godfather because you will be surprised of how different it is from today's pile of junk we get from the movies (apparently, Crash is 2005's best film). But the 70's was just a really good decade for film.

Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38875
05/10/06 09:46 PM
05/10/06 09:46 PM
Oswego, IL, USA
Wiseguy
Wiseguy
Oswego, IL, USA
I'm in an advanced English class, where we read all the classics and all comprehend them. It doesn't go over our heads.

I cannot speak for the general teenage population in their schooling, on the other hand.

Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38876
05/11/06 12:37 AM
05/11/06 12:37 AM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
Originally posted by WildTrout:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[b]
Wow! Two days? I read it when I was 16, and it took me three days. cool [/b]
It took me two weeks... Is that bad?! [Linked Image]

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38877
05/11/06 05:24 AM
05/11/06 05:24 AM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline
The Don
Underboss
London
I'm reading it at the mo. On the train to work every day, it'll take a good few weeks, then im going for the godfather: the lost years, for the first time

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Watching the films for the first time... #38878
05/11/06 09:37 AM
05/11/06 09:37 AM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
I think it is up to the teachers to make the classics interesting. However, that still isn't good enough in many cases. I think that allowing students to choose from a list of classics, perhaps with some contemporary classics thrown in, would go a long way in making students more interested in literature.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull