GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 84 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,657
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,184
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,389
Posts1,059,898
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Montagna believed to be a top boss in Montreal #614578
09/14/11 12:05 AM
09/14/11 12:05 AM
Ontario
M
Mussolini14 Offline OP
Capo
Mussolini14  Offline OP
M
Capo
Ontario
Apparently at least some insiders believe he was involved in the Rizzuto coup and is now one of 4 top bossed in Montreal.

The article can be found below. I will try an find the English translation.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/do ... alaise.php

5th post down has the English translation

Last edited by Mussolini14; 09/22/11 02:34 AM.
Re: Sal Montagna [Re: Mussolini14] #614583
09/14/11 12:27 AM
09/14/11 12:27 AM
Caramela77 Offline
Made Member
Caramela77  Offline
Made Member
He has to have a part in it representing Bonnano Family wasn't he the acting boss for the last couple years? He gets deported back to Montreal in April 09 then murders start to happen from Aug 2009 to Nov. 2010. He might be representing the Sicilian/Calabrian factions. If he is no longer welcomed in the US and the only thing he knows is this lifestyle why not take over Montreal and the Rizzuto's and be the overall boss of Canada if it presents itself and your being backed. He can still be a powerful influence in NY as well connected with Bonnano..

Last edited by Caramela77; 09/14/11 12:30 AM.
Re: Sal Montagna [Re: Caramela77] #614584
09/14/11 12:31 AM
09/14/11 12:31 AM
Caramela77 Offline
Made Member
Caramela77  Offline
Made Member
I hope Vito makes a comeback when released and brings Hell with him. I can't wait to read in the future who exactly is behind it and what else happens...

Re: Sal Montagna [Re: Mussolini14] #614586
09/14/11 01:07 AM
09/14/11 01:07 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
Dunno.
I'm sure that he's not retired.
The Bonannos have always had guys up north. Within the Rizzutos.
So...why not.

I think that he's waiting to see who's gonna be in charge and THEN do business with them.

And YES I do think that the Bonannos have officially cut the Rizzutos out.

Re: Sal Montagna [Re: Mussolini14] #615298
09/22/11 02:33 AM
09/22/11 02:33 AM
Ontario
M
Mussolini14 Offline OP
Capo
Mussolini14  Offline OP
M
Capo
Ontario
Here is the English translation. I know it's loose but it's enough to get the gist.

The new players in the Montreal Mafia

Joe Di Maulo - brother of Raynald Desjardins

A series of murders has shaken the Montreal Mafia in recent years. The Sicilian clan headed by Vito Rizzuto and his father was overthrown. In an epilogue that was just added to their Mafia book inc., André Noël and André Cédilot reveal the names of new players. Among them: Joe Di Maulo, Domenico Arcuri, Salvatore Montagna and Raynald Desjardins.

End of 2010, investigators struggled to find a common thread among all the murders that had marked the middle of the Italian organized crime in Montreal for the past two years. However, it was clear that known criminals wanted in the clan Rizzuto.

This was the case Raynald Desjardins, who had been a close associate of Vito. Convicted of importing cocaine, Desjardins had long been in prison and since his release in 2004 he was engaged in residential construction.

Not of Italian origin, he could not become a full member of the Mafia, but his wealth, his charisma, his experience and his formidable criminal network of contacts made it a very powerful character. But he had never accepted the murder of his protégé, Giovanni Bertolo, in 2005.

Discreet role

Police said Desjardins and his brother Joe Di Maulo played a ball in the quiet complicity and rivalries, alliances and betrayals, which begins after the murder of the young Nicolo Rizzuto (2009). Far from being sidelined, they participated in succession.

Born in 1943, of Calabrian origin, Joe Di Maulo remained a pillar of the Montreal Mafia. He had accompanied Vic Cotroni Paolo Violi's wedding in Hamilton in 1965. On 12 March 1971 at the age of 28, he was accused of a triple murder committed in his club, the Casa Loma.

First convicted, he was acquitted on appeal. On November 11, 1973, he went to New York with Violi and to represent the Desjardins Montreal Decina the election of Phil Rastelli at the head of the Bonanno family.

After the assassination of Violi, Di Maulo and peers Cotroni clan had wisely kept in the camp of Rizzuto. In the early 1990s he had collaborated with Vito to get their hands on one of the gold accumulated by the Philippine dictator Ferdinand Marcos.

In 2003, and on many other occasions he had with Vito in the Dominican Republic. But then the following year, Vito was arrested, soon followed by his father. Therefore, Di Maulo felt the wind change. It was said of him that he was the owner of a dozen companies much legal. Very discreet, he did not go to bars and nightclubs. Desjardins as he skillfully navigates between the underworld and the business community.

Raynald Desjardins, he had good relations in the construction unions and among entrepreneurs. He approached a little known businessman, also of Calabrian origin. Fort comfortable financially, this new sidekick was, like him, major investments in real estate (...)

A bit like a picture that is revealed in a tank of acid, the presence of Salvatore Montagna was felt in the landscape gradually Montreal Mafia.

Montagna was born in Montreal in 1971, but grew up in Castellammare del Golfo, Sicily, the town of his birth that important members of the American Mafia as Joseph Bonanno, then, at the age of 15, he moved to New York.

In 2006, at the age of 36 years, Montagna was promoted to deputy head of the Bonanno crime family .. The U.S. immigration officials placed him before a single alternative: to be returned to Italy, where he had citizenship, or Canada, his native country. He chose Montreal, where he could expect to continue to function as a "boss".

Rizzuto loss of confidence in

Like many others, he noted that Rizzuto had lost the confidence of the underworld, particularly among the younger generation.

Montagna made numerous trips to Toronto and Hamilton. In late 2010, he began to visit influential businessmen of the Italian community of Montreal, accompanied by Domenico Arcuri.

Domenico Arcuri and his brother Antonino owned carbon neutral, a firm specialized in soil decontamination and installed in a building owned by Raynald Desjardins. The latter was introduced to Salvatore Montagna.

Now, Montagna had better support than Rizzuto, both in Ontario and New York and Quebec. No longer afraid to exercise his power, he tried to reason with the old Nick. He said that his reign was over.

Re: Sal Montagna [Re: Mussolini14] #615299
09/22/11 03:06 AM
09/22/11 03:06 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
Thanks Mussolini.
So the Zip wasn't in the shadows as they said he was.

Re: Sal Montagna [Re: LuanKuci] #615324
09/22/11 10:57 AM
09/22/11 10:57 AM
Ontario
M
Mussolini14 Offline OP
Capo
Mussolini14  Offline OP
M
Capo
Ontario
Originally Posted By: LuanKuci
Thanks Mussolini.

I remember near the beginning of the take over there was speculation that he was involved because the bodies of key players began dropping a few months after he arrived in Montreal but for whatever reason after some time the majority of people on the boards thought it was the Nrengheta(sp)behind the takeover and that Sal would wait on the sidelines and see where the chips fell however according to the article anyway, it was him who told Nick Sr to step down.

Re: Sal Montagna [Re: Mussolini14] #615327
09/22/11 11:50 AM
09/22/11 11:50 AM
Canada
E
eurodave Offline
Capo
eurodave  Offline
E
Capo
Canada
Hey Guys,

Just bought the epilogue to Andre Cedillot's Mafia Inc. and it sheds a lot of light on what is currently happening.

From my understanding and what they authors say, "Calabrian's from outside of Montreal" strongly wanted a new regime and boss in Montreal. This would explain Montagna's numerous visits to Toronto and Hamilton. Once he got the support and approval from Ontario Ndrangheta families, it seems he was able to muscle his way back into Montreal. The Violis, Musitanos and Luppinos were backing Montagnas efforts with the old Cotroni clan. Sicilians such as the Arcuris and others not happy with the Rizzuto regime also participated in the take over.

So it seems from what has been said thus far that Ontario Calabrians, Montreal Calabrians and Sicilians have joint effort to make the move. Sal Montagna is the ideal candidate for Montreal, being Sicilian born and a made Bonnano member.

Montagna is the only guy in Montreal who can consilidate power and still represent the Bonnanos, work with the local Sicilians and be in good standing with the Ndrangheta.

Re: Sal Montagna [Re: eurodave] #615335
09/22/11 01:47 PM
09/22/11 01:47 PM
Caramela77 Offline
Made Member
Caramela77  Offline
Made Member
So when Vito gets out he doesn't need to meet with Genovese or Gambino etc I say this because another post, I started asking what Vito should do and to have a sit down with the heads of N.Y. Even though Nick Sr. as well as himself were made men in the Bonnano family its obvious they burned that bridge with the Bonnanos during Massino's reign (example after Sciascia's death no kickbacks severing the tie between the two families). Montagna obviously has the support of N.Y. to bring back the the link with Montreal even closer now. This tells me Vito's days are unfortunately numbered and has no other option but to step down and get out of the business and disappear.

Re: Sal Montagna [Re: eurodave] #615339
09/22/11 02:00 PM
09/22/11 02:00 PM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: eurodave

So it seems from what has been said thus far that Ontario Calabrians, Montreal Calabrians and Sicilians have joint effort to make the move. Sal Montagna is the ideal candidate for Montreal, being Sicilian born and a made Bonnano member.

Montagna is the only guy in Montreal who can consilidate power and still represent the Bonnanos, work with the local Sicilians and be in good standing with the Ndrangheta.

^This^

Plus, Montreal has been labelled as "the Bangkok" of the West, due to the active ports. Controlling its ports would be like controlling the 75% of drugs\goods to Canada & the US.

I think it's well worth a war.

Last edited by LuanKuci; 09/22/11 02:01 PM.
Re: Sal Montagna [Re: LuanKuci] #615376
09/22/11 09:04 PM
09/22/11 09:04 PM
Canada
E
eurodave Offline
Capo
eurodave  Offline
E
Capo
Canada

^This^

Plus, Montreal has been labelled as "the Bangkok" of the West, due to the active ports. Controlling its ports would be like controlling the 75% of drugs\goods to Canada & the US.

I think it's well worth a war.

Absolutely...........It's far easier to ship cocaine to Montreal than it is to Toronto it seems. However, Ndrangheta families have become extremely important in the cocaine trade which would explain the importance of the Montreal port.

Montagna, with the NY and the Ndrangheta cells have probably decided to coordinate a new regime which would benefit Montreal, NYC and Toronto.

Re: Sal Montagna [Re: Mussolini14] #615380
09/22/11 10:24 PM
09/22/11 10:24 PM
Canada
E
eurodave Offline
Capo
eurodave  Offline
E
Capo
Canada
The epilogue also clarifies how Di Maulo and his associates operate. For the most part, the old Cotroni clan is still very active and played a major part in the take over. Di Maulo, Gallo, Mucci, Vanelli, Volpato, Cotroni and associates have been playing in the shadows for decades and are now front line runners, with the new Sicilian faction (Arcuri-Montagna).

They also state that Di Maulo has strong connections in Ontario, which is coherent with Montagna and his Ontario connections.

Re: Sal Montagna [Re: Mussolini14] #615427
09/23/11 07:08 AM
09/23/11 07:08 AM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Ive read the articles and all links thoroughly. Until I read the actual book and see how they quantify and prove their claims...are there any citations to show this is actual public record knowledge, or just the word from a few "insiders"?

Its an interesting theory...but just a theory nonetheless at this point.

My sticking point is what authority we have it on that Montagna actually had these meetings. Its just too easy to assume that since he's was the Bonanno boss, he "chose" Montreal as a place to be deported to since it would afford him the opportunity to "function as boss". He was born in Montreal, thats why he was deported back there.

Im not saying definitively he is or is not; just that I need more proof. If we were to take all that has been claimed by certain Montreal "watchers" as gospel, the Rizzuto's would never have suffered their recent humiliations.

Remember, this is not an exact science.

(cough.)
Re: Sal Montagna [Re: Caramela77] #615471
09/23/11 04:36 PM
09/23/11 04:36 PM
yigido Offline
Capo
yigido  Offline
Capo
Originally Posted By: Caramela77
This tells me Vito's days are unfortunately numbered and has no other option but to step down and get out of the business and disappear.
if i where him i would step down. he lost his son and father thats worse than doing a thousand years. and vito is old so it would be logical to let a younger boss takeover who has potential to run a family for a longer time.

and guess its better like this or else you would be having the calabrians muscling out the sicilians wich could result in decimation or worse.

Re: Sal Montagna [Re: Mussolini14] #617310
10/12/11 11:56 AM
10/12/11 11:56 AM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: Mussolini14
Thanks Mussolini.

I remember near the beginning of the take over there was speculation that he was involved because the bodies of key players began dropping a few months after he arrived in Montreal but for whatever reason after some time the majority of people on the boards thought it was the Nrengheta(sp)behind the takeover and that Sal would wait on the sidelines and see where the chips fell however according to the article anyway, it was him who told Nick Sr to step down.

It is the 'Ndrangheta behind the takeover. If anyone paid attention to my posts for the past year or more on real deal, I said the new boss will be Calabrian. And it is, with collaboration from the leftover Sicilians up there. if I had to say, I'd say it's a Cotroni takeover.
Montagna, may or may not have some involvement. But it's been to my knowledge that he is nowhere near the top of this takeover; and I still maintain that his role is minimal if at all.
The article that was posted here is of the opinions of 2 authors. It proves nothing that they threw out Montagna's name.

Eurodave, you mentioned Montagna is Sicilian born. He's born in Canada, actually..

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: Sal Montagna [Re: carmela] #617315
10/12/11 12:48 PM
10/12/11 12:48 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: carmela
Eurodave, you mentioned Montagna is Sicilian born. He's born in Canada, actually.

That's true, Carmela. The Montagna being born in Sicily thing is a misconception that more than one journalist has mistakenly reported as a fact. But it's worth noting that Montagna did spend a great deal of his childhood in Sicily smile.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Sal Montagna [Re: pizzaboy] #617322
10/12/11 01:15 PM
10/12/11 01:15 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Eurodave, you mentioned Montagna is Sicilian born. He's born in Canada, actually.

That's true, Carmela. The Montagna being born in Sicily thing is a misconception that more than one journalist has mistakenly reported as a fact. But it's worth noting that Montagna did spend a great deal of his childhood in Sicily smile.

True. If you consider 12 years a great deal of his childhood. And to my knowledge he's never been back.

Re: Sal Montagna [Re: carmela] #617323
10/12/11 01:16 PM
10/12/11 01:16 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

True. If you consider 12 years a great deal of his childhood. And to my knowledge he's never been back.

Well, 12 out of 18 is two thirds, right? lol

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Sal Montagna [Re: pizzaboy] #617327
10/12/11 01:19 PM
10/12/11 01:19 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Touche' wink

Re: Sal Montagna [Re: carmela] #617503
10/13/11 08:48 PM
10/13/11 08:48 PM
Canada
E
eurodave Offline
Capo
eurodave  Offline
E
Capo
Canada
Thanks Mussolini.

It is the 'Ndrangheta behind the takeover. If anyone paid attention to my posts for the past year or more on real deal, I said the new boss will be Calabrian. And it is, with collaboration from the leftover Sicilians up there. if I had to say, I'd say it's a Cotroni takeover.
Montagna, may or may not have some involvement. But it's been to my knowledge that he is nowhere near the top of this takeover; and I still maintain that his role is minimal if at all.
The article that was posted here is of the opinions of 2 authors. It proves nothing that they threw out Montagna's name.

Eurodave, you mentioned Montagna is Sicilian born. He's born in Canada, actually..

Although what you're saying makes sense, I just don't see a Calabrian becoming boss of Montreal any time soon. It would be too obvious.

What seems to be the case is a conglomerate of interests who have decided to eliminate the Rizzuto's. Mainly local actors with strong support from Hamilton and Ndrangheta families in the GTA.

My theory is that local Montreal actors such as the old Cotroni clan, Sicilians and others got the green light from the Violis-Luppinos-Papalia-Musitano and Ndrangheta cells.

The city of Montreal is currently controlled by a consortium of mafia interests. There is no single Don.

Re: Sal Montagna [Re: carmela] #617504
10/13/11 09:04 PM
10/13/11 09:04 PM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Thanks Mussolini.

FWIW, I echo Carmela's opinions. While Montagna is no doubt an interesting guy, its clear certain elements considered him a lightweight, at least in Montreal. Sure Niccolo Rizzuto died shortly after Capeci reported the claims from his sources. But he meetings that are pointed to as evidence are far from; at this point its really unknown what said meetings were regarding, but because Nick Sr died shortly thereafter, its the assumption that he MUST have had something to do with it.

A simply dont believe the Calabrian element can be discounted. There's too much already linking them to recent events, and by all accounts they've gone from strength to strength in Montreal and Canada as a whole.

(cough.)
Re: Sal Montagna [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #617505
10/13/11 09:12 PM
10/13/11 09:12 PM
Canada
E
eurodave Offline
Capo
eurodave  Offline
E
Capo
Canada
Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
Thanks Mussolini.

FWIW, I echo Carmela's opinions. While Montagna is no doubt an interesting guy, its clear certain elements considered him a lightweight, at least in Montreal. Sure Niccolo Rizzuto died shortly after Capeci reported the claims from his sources. But he meetings that are pointed to as evidence are far from; at this point its really unknown what said meetings were regarding, but because Nick Sr died shortly thereafter, its the assumption that he MUST have had something to do with it.

A simply dont believe the Calabrian element can be discounted. There's too much already linking them to recent events, and by all accounts they've gone from strength to strength in Montreal and Canada as a whole.

It's not that their discounting the Calabrians but rather that there are various criminal elements who are in cahoots with the Calabrians of Ontario, Montagna being one of them. There seems to be some sort of deal between Calabrians, Sicilians and Montreal mafiosi to divide up the city and it's lucrative drug market.

Calabrians are the main source of power, but the local actors are both Sicilians, Calabrians, Montagna and who knows ..

Re: Sal Montagna [Re: Mussolini14] #617506
10/13/11 09:18 PM
10/13/11 09:18 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
When you say, "it's not that they're discounting the Calabrians....." Who's "they"?

I agree it is a collaboration, but the boss will be Calabrian. I don't know why it's taking so long for this to be knowledge up there, and why it hasn't come to light who the boss is, but at the head is a calabrian.

Re: Sal Montagna [Re: carmela] #617507
10/13/11 09:24 PM
10/13/11 09:24 PM
Canada
E
eurodave Offline
Capo
eurodave  Offline
E
Capo
Canada
When you say, "it's not that they're discounting the Calabrians....." Who's "they"?

I agree it is a collaboration, but the boss will be Calabrian. I don't know why it's taking so long for this to be knowledge up there, and why it hasn't come to light who the boss is, but at the head is a calabrian.

Most articles, police reports and whatnot. It's most definitely a collaboration.

Time will tell who the new boss will be.

Re: Sal Montagna [Re: eurodave] #617583
10/14/11 02:25 PM
10/14/11 02:25 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Although what you're saying makes sense, I just don't see a Calabrian becoming boss of Montreal any time soon. It would be too obvious.

Why would anyone care if it would be too obvious? It's not like it would be something completely new to Montreal. the Calabrian faction ran Montreal before the Rizzutos. Why can't they do it again? I would imagine that the Sicilians could fall in line just like the Calabrians did when Rizzuto was the boss.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Sal Montagna [Re: Sonny_Black] #617612
10/14/11 04:52 PM
10/14/11 04:52 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

Why would anyone care if it would be too obvious? It's not like it would be something completely new to Montreal. the Calabrian faction ran Montreal before the Rizzutos. Why can't they do it again? I would imagine that the Sicilians could fall in line just like the Calabrians did when Rizzuto was the boss.

Exaclty. But as I said, I wonder why the name hasn't surfaced yet. It's been strongly speculated for quite some time that's it's a Calabrian boss. When the shit first hit the fan, I said it was strictly a sicilian takeover, as I had a hard time believing the 2 mafias would collaborate, but as more came to light, I tweaked my theory when I realized it would be a Calabrian boss w/ help from Sicilians.

Give JCigars the finger from me. We have unfinished business. mad

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull