GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 260 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,323
Posts1,058,596
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tom's ineptitude #614069
09/09/11 04:37 PM
09/09/11 04:37 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
Are there any examples of Tom actually doing something right/correctly throughout the trilogy?

He seems to have a long list of failures attributed to him...was he just not cut out for the life?

Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: Immobiliare] #614073
09/09/11 04:55 PM
09/09/11 04:55 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well, the Trilogy doesn't give Tom much opportunity to demonstrate his skills. However, he does advocate Corleone participation in the drug trade which proves to have been inevitable.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: Immobiliare] #614095
09/09/11 09:42 PM
09/09/11 09:42 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
I think they left it out of the movie, but in the book Tom is the one who thinks to find out where the Sollozzo meeting will be by finding out where McCluskey is having dinner. He also correctly reads that Woltz doesn't have "real balls" and can be intimidated, even if he does know Hoover.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: mustachepete] #614097
09/09/11 10:37 PM
09/09/11 10:37 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Yes, Tom suggests that Sonny contact Phillips. That's strange because he tells Sonny that maybe Phillips knows where McCluskey can be reached. So, they already knew that McCluskey has to keep the department informed of his whereabouts.

Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: Immobiliare] #614120
09/10/11 08:12 AM
09/10/11 08:12 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Offscreen, Tom would have been the primary contact to set up Corleone financing/protection for drug rackets. Also during Vito's "trouble" and before Michael's rise he was the main corruption guy.

And evidently he was the fellow who arranged/help set up Tessio's demise. rolleyes

But no generally I think his film (and book) role was to act as a foil to Michael's more ruthless nature.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: Immobiliare] #614137
09/10/11 12:30 PM
09/10/11 12:30 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Within a short time Tom found out that McCluskey was acting as Sollozzo's bodyguard.
He "suicided" Pentangeli.

Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: Lilo] #614139
09/10/11 12:38 PM
09/10/11 12:38 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
We seldom see what Tom does behind the scenes because he's basically a prop for Vito and Michael. I assume he was very good on the political end; otherwise Vito wouldn't have made him consigliere. Also seemed to have been quite competent in setting up Michael as a "legitimate" figure in the Nevada gaming milieu. I thought he was at his smoothest and most effective in setting up Geary and then taking advantage of Geary's terror by having him stay at Michael's home. I still believe Michael authorized the hooker trap earlier, but Tom carried it off brilliantly.

I'd like to summarize the screwups we see:

Tom couldn't be blamed for Vito's shooting. Paulie was Clemenza's responsibility. Nor was he at fault in Luca's death. Luca reported directly to Vito, who may not have told Tom about his mission. And anyway, it was Vito who put the garotte around Luca's neck by sending him to the Tattaglias with that idiotic story about "not being too happy with our family"--as if Vito would allow his "most valued friend" (movie), "a man who could do a job of murder all by himself" (novel) skip off and ply his trade for a rival family.

A charging bull elephant couldn't have deflected Sonny from his fatal final ride. But I believe Tom should have anticipated Carlo's treason. He should have known that the other families would be watching to see if the newest Corleone family member would get anything important--and when he didn't, to take note of that. And, after Sonny's public humiliation of Carlo, Tom should have seen that he'd be a prime candidate for treason during wartime. Overarching lust for vengeance may not be a typical German/Irish characteristic, but it's not unknown among associates of Mafia families.

Tom's failure to find out that Pentangeli had survived and was being held by the Senate committee, and his failure to learn that Questadt belonged to Roth, were inexcusably negligent.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: Immobiliare] #614146
09/10/11 01:17 PM
09/10/11 01:17 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well TB, that's the point that I have been making: a consigilere anticipates threats to the family. Of course, a consigliere is not omniscient. He can't be expected to anticipate evey threat. But Tom's record is less than illustrious.

Also, regardless of who Paulie worked for, Tom should have analyzed the possible effects of Sonny's outburst at the Sollozzo meeting (which apparently he did) and doubled his precautions.

Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: Immobiliare] #614161
09/10/11 02:26 PM
09/10/11 02:26 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
It's fair to say that Tom is not the best consigliere. He is loyal though. So perhaps some of his "screwups" with Michael specifically (Pentangeli's survival, the Roth-Questadt connection) aren't so much screw-ups as they are passive-aggressive games.

I mean Michael makes a big production out of letting everyone know "Tom's just my lawyer", "Tom please leave and close the door behind you", "Tom tell Al to join us", "Nobody discuss any Family business with Tom" that maybe out of hurt feelings/revenge Tom thought ok, you want me to be just a lawyer? Then that's all I will be. I will not do one iota of work more than what you've so graciously assigned to me..

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: Immobiliare] #614172
09/10/11 04:36 PM
09/10/11 04:36 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
A couple of things: first, Tom was an inexperienced consigliere in GF1, and there was a certain measure of bad luck that he was essentially in training when Vito was shot.

With respect to Frankie's survival, I think that it is at least possible that much more information became available at the instant Questadt announced that there was a secret witness. No need to keep the secret after Michael had gone on the record, and it would be natural for people to start to talk to the press or others while the story still had some value.

Last edited by mustachepete; 09/10/11 04:36 PM.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: mustachepete] #614341
09/12/11 09:43 AM
09/12/11 09:43 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Tom had never been through a war, and was completely untested.
No doubt he was a god lawyer but the trouble was he learned what he learned from Vito, not Genco. The idea of a consigliere and his boss also having what amounted to a father-son relationship is a bad one to begin with. As he confessed Vito had a "sentimental weakness" for his children, and this extended to Tom. The appointment of Tom was, in fact, a sign the Don was slippin.

Hard as he was on Tom, Michael always maintained he was an excellent lawyer, but as he pointed out to Kay he was not a Sicilian. There was a place for Tom in the family business but probably not as Consigliere.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: dontomasso] #614344
09/12/11 10:55 AM
09/12/11 10:55 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Tom was exactly what Vito wanted him to be - a hyper-rational, conciliatory, smooth attorney.

Vito wanted Tom to counter-balance Sonny's temper with coolness. He also wanted someone with an impeccable demeanor to be the legitimate face of the Family. Remember his quote from the book about one lawyer with a briefcase stealing more than 100 men with guns.

I don't think Vito's view of consiglieres was much different than Michaels. For all the reverence Genco receives, I question how important he really was. I don't remember anything from the book or movies that indicates Vito really consulted with Genco on strategy. I don't think Vito felt he really needed a real consigliere - a stance which backfired when Vito was taken out of commission.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: The Last Woltz] #614480
09/13/11 09:21 AM
09/13/11 09:21 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Tom was very good at handling certain kinds of issues, a good example being Woltz. After Woltz insults him up and down, Tom simply says he admires his movies, and will be awaiting his call. Again after Woltz's tirade, Tom thanks him for an excellent meal and calmly asks if his driver could take him to the airport (Tom had no car or driverof his own in L.A. ????)....where Tom was not so good was in wartime. He was too conciliatory and was always looking for a deal to make the peace....EXCEPT during the Tessio betrayal where he played it out perfectly. Right down to Tession playing him by asking if he could get him off the hook for old time's sake, and Tom calmly said he couldn't do that.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: dontomasso] #614599
09/14/11 09:24 AM
09/14/11 09:24 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

You can sum up Tom's shortcomings by a quote I ran across re-watching The Firm. Wilfred Brimley sternly tells Gene Hackman: "I get paid to be suspicious when I've got nothing to be suspicious about."

Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: dontomasso] #614709
09/15/11 07:12 PM
09/15/11 07:12 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
You can sum up Tom's shortcomings by a quote I ran across re-watching The Firm. Wilfred Brimley sternly tells Gene Hackman: "I get paid to be suspicious when I've got nothing to be suspicious about."

lol lol lol

Winter is Coming

Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: Immobiliare] #621036
11/20/11 04:44 PM
11/20/11 04:44 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Tom seesm to get blames as much as Fredo lol. I mean it wasn't his fault sonny got whacked since he sent guys after him right away they just didn't get to him in time. I really didn't see many failures from tom. Mike on the otherhand seemed to make more mistakes. i mean roth pretty much played him like a dope and if it wasn't for vito tessio would have outsmarted him. Tom might have not been a sicilian but he was smarter than most of the guys

Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: JCrusher] #621038
11/20/11 05:11 PM
11/20/11 05:11 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I don't have the low opinion of Tom that many Board members have expressed. As the novel states, the counterattacks by the families declined significantly and then ceased altogether as Sonny poured it on. The familes themselves confirmed that they, indeed, were on the ropes because they concluded that the only way to stave off complete defeat was to murder Sonny. So, I don't buy, despite what Puzo wrote, that Tom was faked out.

Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: Immobiliare] #621044
11/20/11 07:16 PM
11/20/11 07:16 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Tom Hagen was very intelligent, but he didn't show any street smarts. These are two different things.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: Sonny_Black] #621054
11/20/11 10:07 PM
11/20/11 10:07 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Tom Hagen was very intelligent, but he didn't show any street smarts. These are two different things.

Well to be honest we never see tom make any many drastic mistakes. Mike says he is not a wartime consigliere but from what i saw tom always helped mike in the wars.

Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: Immobiliare] #621695
11/26/11 06:43 PM
11/26/11 06:43 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Tom: When I meet with the Tattaglia people, should I insist that all his drug middlemen have clean records?

Vito: Tom, you're not meeting with anyone.

Tom: No meeting? Why not?

Vito: Do you have to ask? Let's review Tom. Since you became Consigliere, what's happened? Well, I've been shot five times, Sonny was murdered, Fredo's off in Las Vegas, and Michael's hiding in Sicily. Connie's been beat up a few times by Carlo, we've been in a war, and business is down over 50%. And on top of all that,I've got PETA picketing the mall.

Tom: But, but ...

Vito: But nothin' Tom, my kraut-mick friend.

Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: olivant] #621698
11/26/11 07:30 PM
11/26/11 07:30 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: olivant
Let's review Tom. Since you became Consigliere, what's happened? Well, I've been shot five times,

Tom advised Vito to make the deal with Sollozzo. If he had followed that advise, they wouldn't have shot him. At least not at that point.

Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: Immobiliare] #621699
11/26/11 07:47 PM
11/26/11 07:47 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Tom did tell Vito that it would be the best to make the deal, he did warn sonny about his temper. Tom was a good advisor in my opinion. People didn't listen to him because he wasn't a sicilian and we see what happened

Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: olivant] #621704
11/26/11 08:39 PM
11/26/11 08:39 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: olivant
Tom: When I meet with the Tattaglia people, should I insist that all his drug middlemen have clean records?

Vito: Tom, you're not meeting with anyone.

Tom: No meeting? Why not?

Vito: Do you have to ask? Let's review Tom. Since you became Consigliere, what's happened? Well, I've been shot five times, Sonny was murdered, Fredo's off in Las Vegas, and Michael's hiding in Sicily. Connie's been beat up a few times by Carlo, we've been in a war, and business is down over 50%. And on top of all that,I've got PETA picketing the mall.

Tom: But, but ...

Vito: But nothin' Tom, my kraut-mick friend.

Vito: But nothin' Tom, my kraut-mick friend. You're a jinx!

Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: olivant] #622646
12/02/11 02:27 PM
12/02/11 02:27 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Enough beating up on Tom!!!!

He was a first rate lawyer and a great fixer (e.g. Woltz, Geary, Getting licensed detectives to guard Vito at the hospital in record time). He just was not a
wartime consigliere. His idea f waging wars was to negotiate, and not fight. Of course Sonny was such a bad don that Vito had to end the war by negotiating and comromising on the drug trade. But Michael, without consigliere wiped out everyone.

Also, of all the characters in the trilogy Tom was the only one who got demoted, but simultaneously remained in Mikes inner circle.

Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: dontomasso] #622649
12/02/11 02:32 PM
12/02/11 02:32 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Yeah, but Tom never saw the PETA picketing of the mall about the horse's head thing coming and I think that sinks him.

Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: Immobiliare] #622902
12/04/11 05:38 PM
12/04/11 05:38 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Despite my attempts at humor, I don't think Tom was inept. He did a good job considering that he wasn't Sicilan and was relatively young. Some bad things did happen on his watch, but Tom was just an advisor; for most of his tenure as Consigliere, Sonny was the Don and Sonny would hav been a handful for any Consigliere, even Genco. Also, keep in mind that Vito had trained Tom to be non-confrontational. The novel makes that very clear.

Re: Tom's ineptitude [Re: olivant] #622915
12/04/11 07:01 PM
12/04/11 07:01 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: olivant
Despite my attempts at humor, I don't think Tom was inept. He did a good job considering that he wasn't Sicilan and was relatively young. Some bad things did happen on his watch, but Tom was just an advisor; for most of his tenure as Consigliere, Sonny was the Don and Sonny would hav been a handful for any Consigliere, even Genco. Also, keep in mind that Vito had trained Tom to be non-confrontational. The novel makes that very clear.

Tom was a smart guy. I Mean i wouldn't judt say sonny because Mike made some real bonehead moves himself. He didn't use Tom as consigliere which really cost him. Lets face it roth pretty much owned mike in part 2. Yes Mike killed him but like tom said it wasn't smart since it could bring more heat to mike

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull