GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 349 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,590
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,063
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,366
Posts1,059,439
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. #38768
05/17/06 11:43 PM
05/17/06 11:43 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Yes, that is a deleted scene.

In my opinion the most memorable line from that garden scene came from Michael:

"What about Sonny...what about Sicily?"

Vito's exit line is a close second:

"We have plenty of time to talk about that now."

Let's face it, in hindsight all the deleted scenes were ones of value that could've and several cases should've been left in. However, time was of the essence, and neither FFC nor Paramount could foresee the monumental legacy both GF and GFII would leave.

It's nice to ponder what we think shouldn't have been deleted and why...since we've been able to viewed the deleted scenes thanks to the tv Saga. A gift not usually bestowed upon movie fans.

But are there any scenes that remained in either of the films that you think didn't need to be left in?

Or better still...any deleted scenes that you would trade off for any that remained in the films?

Editing...it's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. #38769
05/18/06 02:02 AM
05/18/06 02:02 AM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
To hear Robert Evans tell the story, much of the movie as we see it today was a "deleted scene" left on the cutting room floor. According to Evans, he encouraged Coppola to make it the epic it became instead of the standard 100 minute movie we've all come to expect.

As important as each scene is to the whole story, imagine how marginalized The Godfather would have become had even one more scene been deleted from the movie as we know it. On the other hand, it would be interesting to see the movie in its "final edit / first pass" form for the sake of comparison to the version that made it to the big screen..

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. #38770
05/18/06 09:18 PM
05/18/06 09:18 PM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline OP
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline OP
The Don
Underboss
London
Its just pondering isnt it, some scenes could have gone in favour of the superior deleted scenes

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. #38771
05/18/06 09:43 PM
05/18/06 09:43 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Which ones?

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. #38772
05/19/06 02:51 AM
05/19/06 02:51 AM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
Apple, here's a trade-off that might have been worthwhile.

I would delete Kay's visit to the mall in search of Michael ("That was an accident but nobody was hurt..."). It's good, but eliminating that scene wouldn't cloud the plot, nor would we be here advocating it's inclusion because of some question or issue that becomes clearer because of its inclusion.

In it's place I would add one of three scenes that DO advance the plot or clarify some point. I would add either the Genco deathbed scene, or Sonny's dialog with Michael about Clemenza/Paulie and his phone call from "his man at the phone company," or the killing of Fabrizio.

"Pop had Genco. Look what I got..." Unless you read the book, or actually saw GF-II, the name Genco doesn't mean anything in GF-I. The addition of the Genco deathbed scene would have introduced the role of the consigliere to "the family," clarified Genco's actual importance to the family and Vito in particular, and served as a validation of Tom's ascendency to consigliere.

"Paulie sold-out the old man." When Sonny makes that proclamation, it calls for some suspension of disbelief. While Paulie was conveniently sick and you could reasonably infer that he was complicit in Vito's shooting, it would be great to have plausible evidence that points to Paulie's responsibility for the attempt on Vito. Sonny's call and his exchange with Michael make Sonny seem less emotional and more rational with firm evidence of Paulie's complicity in Vito's shooting. You may or may not argue that it makes Sonny almost don-like...but it certainly points to some strong leadership skills with solid intelligence.

And finally, I can't imagine that Michael really would have "settled all family business" without taking care of Fabrizio.

Delete Kay at the mall and add just one of these scenes and it would have been an even better movie.

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. #38773
05/19/06 04:30 AM
05/19/06 04:30 AM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
Great post tony. Fabrizio being dealt with at the end of part I would have just been perfect. As it stands, theatrically, Michael never does get him.

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. #38774
05/21/06 12:49 PM
05/21/06 12:49 PM
Michigan
Arnold Rothstein Offline
Associate
Arnold Rothstein  Offline
Associate
Michigan
Personally, I wish the Hyman Rothstein scene was left in. One of my favorite aspects of PtII is the interplay between the two stories, past and present. I think much of the sadness of the Michael segments comes from the contrast to the young Vito segments. It's quite moving, after Michael and Roth's deadly battle in Cuba, to show Young Roth's interaction with Young Vito. Just to think that this kid Vito takes under his wing would, some 35 years later, be in a life-or-death power struggle with Vito's son.
Just imagine how (possibley) more powerful PtII would be if the plot had stayed with Clemenza turning on the family and killing himself in the end, instead of Pentangelli! Gotta love Pentangelli, though...
Plus, I agree with Turnbull that Clemenza's transformation from big-shot (At least in his head) to side-kick is really entertaining.

Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. #38775
05/21/06 01:49 PM
05/21/06 01:49 PM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
Would they have definitely gone the same direction if castellano had signed on?

Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. #38776
05/21/06 02:30 PM
05/21/06 02:30 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
Originally posted by Arnold Rothstein:
Personally, I wish the Hyman Rothstein scene was left in. One of my favorite aspects of PtII is the interplay between the two stories, past and present. I think much of the sadness of the Michael segments comes from the contrast to the young Vito segments. It's quite moving, after Michael and Roth's deadly battle in Cuba, to show Young Roth's interaction with Young Vito. Just to think that this kid Vito takes under his wing would, some 35 years later, be in a life-or-death power struggle with Vito's son.
Welcome to the Boards!

I agree with you. It would be a nice touch if they would have added that scene. It would have been one of the rare instances where the parallel stories in Part II actually come in contact.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. #38777
05/22/06 10:01 AM
05/22/06 10:01 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
"Paulie sold-out the old man." When Sonny makes that proclamation, it calls for some suspension of disbelief. While Paulie was conveniently sick and you could reasonably infer that he was complicit in Vito's shooting, it would be great to have plausible evidence that points to Paulie's responsibility for the attempt on Vito. Sonny's call and his exchange with Michael make Sonny seem less emotional and more rational with firm evidence of Paulie's complicity in Vito's shooting. You may or may not argue that it makes Sonny almost don-like...but it certainly points to some strong leadership skills with solid intelligence.
I think the fact that this was left uncertain improved the film.

Sonny is emotional and is not rational, so why should we see him any other way? His pinning of blame without evidence is totally in character and foreshadows his fatal flaw.

Also, not knowing for sure it's Paulie adds a level of suspense, since there's the possibility of the traitor still being at large.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. #38778
05/24/06 01:01 PM
05/24/06 01:01 PM
Walter Mosca Offline
Capo
Walter Mosca  Offline
Capo
Hey welcome, that is a cracking username you have chosen! I can't remember how many times i've watched the last schmaltz cool cool cool

"Jonny Tightlips... you're shot!
- whered' they get you?"
"I ain't sayin' nutin'."
"But what'll I tell the Doc?!"
"Tell'um to suck a lemon."
Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. #38779
05/24/06 09:00 PM
05/24/06 09:00 PM
Muscat, Oman
Don Zadjali Offline
Underboss
Don Zadjali  Offline
Underboss
Muscat, Oman
Fabrizio's shooting scene...
I wonder why didn't FFC leave it in the movie cool

"Pain has no tendency, in its own right, to proliferate. When it is over, it is over, and the natural sequel is joy."
- C. S. Lewis

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh"
- George Bernard Shaw

Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. #38780
05/25/06 12:06 PM
05/25/06 12:06 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Don Zadjali:
Fabrizio's shooting scene...
I wonder why didn't FFC leave it in the movie cool
I have to believe FFC considered it. My guess is that there was no easy way to insert this. If it was included in the baptismal sequence, it may have disrupted or diluted the scene. I think the brilliance of the scene lies in its economy. The scene flows smoothly and orderly with dense content. Adding more killings could have had the effect of minimizing the assassinations of Moe and the heads of the Five Families.

Perhaps a single shot of Fabrizzio's sprawled bloodied corpse near the end of the scene could have satisfied those of us, who want him to pay for his transgressions.

Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. #38781
05/25/06 01:20 PM
05/25/06 01:20 PM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
I think AFTER the baptism but BEFORE Carlo's fate, Mike could have been driven to Buffalo to deal with Fabrizio personally. That definitely should have been in, Fabrizio just HAD to get it

Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. #38782
05/28/06 08:49 PM
05/28/06 08:49 PM
dc
Don Dallal Offline
De Facto Boss
Don Dallal  Offline
De Facto Boss
Made Member
dc
I Have Two Scenes In Mind ... Both Posted Before:

Defintly Mikey Trackin Down Fabrizio & Whackin Him

The Corleone Men Visiting Genco

Chris: DOES THIS LOOK LIKE THE SENATE TO YOU ( T ) ???!!!
Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. #38783
06/04/06 08:51 AM
06/04/06 08:51 AM
once again, Buffalo, NY!
ChrisY2J Offline
Underboss
ChrisY2J  Offline
Underboss
once again, Buffalo, NY!
Fabrizzio getting killed definitely should have been included. Unless you read the novel, you'd have thought Fabrizzio got away scot-free with killing Michael's wife.

That, and I am from Buffalo, NY, and it would have been cool to see a scene from "The Godfather" take place in Buffalo!

"Keep your body strong, your blood clean, and your mind sharp and mean." Henry Rollins
Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. #38784
06/05/06 02:24 AM
06/05/06 02:24 AM
VitoAndoliniFromCorleone Offline
Associate
VitoAndoliniFromCorleone  Offline
Associate
Will there ever be versions of GF1 and GF2 released with all the deleted scenes inserted into them? I just watched the cinema versions over the weekend for the first time in about six years and it just amazes me how many scenes were left out.

I have the chronological TV version of I and II on video from when it was shown here in Australia back in 1990 and it has every single deleted scene in it. However, the quality is terrible as i've watched it countless times and it is 16 years old, after all..

Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. #38785
06/05/06 06:24 AM
06/05/06 06:24 AM
Walter Mosca Offline
Capo
Walter Mosca  Offline
Capo
Originally posted by Walter Mosca:
I watched them the other day and noticed that one of the most mistakenly deleted scenes was right after or before the most pointless scene. I'll have a watch again...
Deserved to be cut: the extra Connie and Carlo argument

Most mistakenly deleted: Michael and Vito talking in the garden

However, ther eare far too many mistakenly deleted scenes, I think.

"Jonny Tightlips... you're shot!
- whered' they get you?"
"I ain't sayin' nutin'."
"But what'll I tell the Doc?!"
"Tell'um to suck a lemon."
Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. [Re: Walter Mosca] #380622
03/31/07 07:58 PM
03/31/07 07:58 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline
B
Made Member
NY
One scene that should have remained, although they thought it redundant, was after Bonasera left the office at the start of the film - after Vito closes the door and says to Tom: "put Clemenza on it. I want people who aren't going to be carried away..." then he looks over at Santino and whistles at him. "You payin' attention," Vito asks. Sonny: "yeah, yeah." [this was seen in "A Novel For Television"]

I thought the Genco scene was a little corny. Not the lead up - those scenes I thought were good, and could have been left in, but the actual standing over Genco's death bed. Very corny dialog, and would have diminished this extraordinary film.

Wonder if we'll ever get ALL the deleted scenes on DVD soon?

Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. [Re: Buttmunker] #380623
03/31/07 08:11 PM
03/31/07 08:11 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I really liked the extended scene between Paulie and Clemenza that took place just before Paulie's execution. It really showed how these guys can sit down and eat a cannoli with you one minute then help carry out your murder the next.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. [Re: pizzaboy] #380647
03/31/07 10:15 PM
03/31/07 10:15 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Just look at my signature.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. [Re: DonMichaelCorleone] #380652
03/31/07 10:29 PM
03/31/07 10:29 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Very good DMC.

Michael: "Won't they take that as a sign of weakness?"

Vito: "It is a sign of weakness"

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. [Re: pizzaboy] #380694
03/31/07 11:40 PM
03/31/07 11:40 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I wish they would have left the Godfather eating ice cream scene in. That made him seem more human, more sensitive. Plus we get to see his wife being a wife.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. [Re: Don Cardi] #380702
04/01/07 12:09 AM
04/01/07 12:09 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
One deleted scene which I think was extremely important to part of the plot is the one where Michael arrives at the Corleone Mall after finding out that his father has been shot, and when he walks into the house, we are shown Thresa Hagen sitting alongside Clemenza, outside the Don's office. When Michael enters the Don's office, we see Sonny and Tessio sitting there talking. Now I don't remember the exact dialogue, so I am going to paraphrase a bit here.

Sonny tells Michael to leave, that he may not like what he is going to hear from him and Tessio. So Michael tells him " He's my father too." Sonny says something like " Pop would kill me if he found out that I let you in on this stuff." But Michael refuses to leave. Sonny then says something like " Ok college boy, you're so smart, who set up the old man, was it Clemenza or Paulie?" and Michael sits there for a moment and then says " Nah, not Clemenza, It had to be Paulie." and Sonny tells him, "Yes you're right, our man in the phone company confirmed that by tracing the calls from a phone booth across the street from pop's office." So that scene tells us that Sonny immedeatly suspected Clemenza, and that is why he had Clemenza sit out of that meeting between him and Tessio. They were deciding and trying to find out if Clemenza was involved.

Now again, I may not have the exact dialogue down pat, but that is basically what took place in that scene. It gives clarification to the later scene which shows Sonny telling Clemenza to take care of Paulie, because he set up the old man. Without that deleted scene we are left to wonder how Sonny came to that conclusion.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. [Re: Don Cardi] #380823
04/01/07 06:46 PM
04/01/07 06:46 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Don Cardi, I need to rewatch the scene but didn't Michael say neither of them first? As if Michael was being naive that either of them could have done it?

I could be wrong, and be thinking of another movie but I think he made a comment first that pisses off Sonny.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. [Re: DonMichaelCorleone] #380828
04/01/07 06:53 PM
04/01/07 06:53 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
It's a very important scene because it shows that within the inner sanctum of the family, it's Tessio and not Clemenza who is considered to be beyond reproach, making Tessio's betrayal that much more powerful, later on. I wish they'd left it in.

Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. [Re: DonMichaelCorleone] #381359
04/03/07 10:15 AM
04/03/07 10:15 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone
Don Cardi, I need to rewatch the scene but didn't Michael say neither of them first? As if Michael was being naive that either of them could have done it?

I could be wrong, and be thinking of another movie but I think he made a comment first that pisses off Sonny.

He pisses off Sonny when Sonny tells him to leave the office because he don't want Michael hearing certain things. And Michael defies Sonny telling him that Vito is HIS father also. Sonny then poses the question to him, saying something like "Ok college boy, who set up the old man?" And if memory serves me correctly Michael ponders for a moment or two, and then replies that neither Clemenza or Tessio did. I'm going off of memory here as I haven't watched that scene in quite some time. But it went down something like that.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. [Re: Don Cardi] #381474
04/03/07 03:54 PM
04/03/07 03:54 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline
B
Made Member
NY
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

Sonny then poses the question to him, saying something like "Ok college boy, who set up the old man?" And if memory serves me correctly Michael ponders for a moment or two, and then replies that neither Clemenza or Tessio did.

Michael replies that it was "not Clemenza" Clemenza because he always gave Michael presents at Christmas time; He didn't want it to be Paulie either because he used to be in the same 6th grade class as Michael.

The part I didn't care for was Sonny's reaction to Michael after he said "not Clemenza." Sonny said, 'you're right, it was Paulie, that stronz,' then says how he knew it was Paulie because of tracing the calls from a payphone outside Genco's office to the enemy. This kind of logic is wrong because, heck, it coulda been anybody using that payphone. How they could have connected Paulie to it, just because he was conveniently sick that day, is beyond me. Imagine if Paulie was really innocent??

Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. [Re: Don Cardi] #381479
04/03/07 04:06 PM
04/03/07 04:06 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
One deleted scene which I think was extremely important to part of the plot is the one where Michael arrives at the Corleone Mall after finding out that his father has been shot, and when he walks into the house, we are shown Thresa Hagen sitting alongside Clemenza, outside the Don's office. When Michael enters the Don's office, we see Sonny and Tessio sitting there talking. Now I don't remember the exact dialogue, so I am going to paraphrase a bit here.

Michael refuses to leave. Sonny then says something like " Ok college boy, you're so smart, who set up the old man, was it Clemenza or Paulie?" and Michael sits there for a moment and then says " Nah, not Clemenza, It had to be Paulie." and Sonny tells him, "Yes you're right, our man in the phone company confirmed that by tracing the calls from a phone booth across the street from pop's office." So that scene tells us that Sonny immedeatly suspected Clemenza, and that is why he had Clemenza sit out of that meeting between him and Tessio. They were deciding and trying to find out if Clemenza was involved.

It gives clarification to the later scene which shows Sonny telling Clemenza to take care of Paulie, because he set up the old man. Without that deleted scene we are left to wonder how Sonny came to that conclusion.

As I recall in that scene there is also some gesture Michael makes to teresa Hagen who is just sitting alone worrying about her husband. Doessnt he tell someone to take care of her? To me it showed that Sonny was already not controlling everything the way a good Don should.

DC your point is a good one, and Clemenza remains suspect throughout. At VVito's funeral when Tom asks Michael if he knows how they are going to come at them, and Michael says they are teking him to a meeting on Tessio's grouns "where I'll be 'safe'" Tom says, "I always thought it would be Clemenza."

I wonder about this lingering suspicion about Clemenza because in GF II we learn that Clemenza was Vito's first real "partner" and that Tessio came on board later.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Most mistakenly deleted deleted scenes. [Re: dontomasso] #381531
04/03/07 07:27 PM
04/03/07 07:27 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I can't remember, but are you guys recalling the movie or the novel? It's in the novel that way. That I know

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull