GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Toodoped, TheKillingJoke, 2 invisible), 52 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,128
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,386
Posts1,059,768
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Best De Niro moment #38701
05/04/06 08:43 PM
05/04/06 08:43 PM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline OP
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline OP
The Don
Underboss
London
What is your favourite De Niro moment from Part II?

Mine has to be the moment just before Vito kills Ciccio.

As Tommasino is explaining to the Don who Vito is..Vito can be seen in the background just looking on with one of the best examples of concealed rage I have ever seen, the man ahead of him killed his Mother, Father and Brother...but he must remain calm until the right moment, but the way he is looking on...You'll never see the wise and reasonable Don Corleone ever look so mad...yet calm. Wonderful acting

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Best De Niro moment #38702
05/04/06 08:52 PM
05/04/06 08:52 PM
Erie. PA
Genco Abbandando Offline
Wiseguy
Genco Abbandando  Offline
Wiseguy
Erie. PA
I think mine is when he kills Finucci - in fact young Vito's interaction with Finucci is his definining moment - and the effort and even style he puts into killing Finucci - watching him stock the don on the rooftops of NY, it was almost an artform.

(I was thiking of that scene when i saw Vincent kill Joey Zaza in Part 3. A death is still a death, but Vincent kills Joey with brute force, while Vito kills Finucci with style. Does that make sense?)

Re: Best De Niro moment #38703
05/04/06 09:16 PM
05/04/06 09:16 PM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
Well, it does make sense...but I actually thought the way Vincent killed Zasa was VERY stylish.

Vito's murder of Fanucci is just wonderful. I especially love the ruthless blowing off of Fanucci's head via the bullet in the mouth, and then the way he dumps parts of the gun down those pipes...then walks back down little Italy with the fireworks going off...just amazing camerawork...then minutes after commiting foul bloody murder, Vito holds up his baby son and tells him he loves him...a very macabre effect. BUT Ciccio's murder for me still gets it

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Best De Niro moment #38704
05/04/06 09:17 PM
05/04/06 09:17 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
I like when he feeds little Michael the olives.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Best De Niro moment #38705
05/04/06 09:18 PM
05/04/06 09:18 PM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
Very cute moment.

Also the scenes where he batters the two bodyguards in Sicily. Should have been in the main cut that.

Re: Best De Niro moment #38706
05/04/06 09:22 PM
05/04/06 09:22 PM
Erie. PA
Genco Abbandando Offline
Wiseguy
Genco Abbandando  Offline
Wiseguy
Erie. PA
Originally posted by The Hollywood Finochio:

Vito's murder of Fanucci is just wonderful. I especially love the ruthless blowing off of Fanucci's head via the bullet in the mouth, and then the way he dumps parts of the gun down those pipes...then walks back down little Italy with the fireworks going off...just amazing camerawork...then minutes after commiting foul bloody murder, Vito holds up his baby son and tells him he loves him...a very macabre effect. BUT Ciccio's murder for me still gets it
I can see the macabre effect - the juxtoposition of vito killing Fanucci and then telling Michael how much he loves him, but i always looked at that last bit as a reference to the scene near the end of Part 1 between old Vito and Michael, were Vito (who had to know he was near the end of his life) told Michael that he wanted to much more for him. Vito is all about family, and the newly born Michael is who he is doing all of this for - so Michael can have a wonderful life.

Re: Best De Niro moment #38707
05/04/06 09:25 PM
05/04/06 09:25 PM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
I know that they made the young Vito appear to have Mike as his favourite from very early on. But I still think he had all four children in mind for a good life at that point

Re: Best De Niro moment #38708
05/04/06 10:10 PM
05/04/06 10:10 PM
Texas
Wolfman Offline
Wiseguy
Wolfman  Offline
Wiseguy
Texas
I know that they made the young Vito appear to have Mike as his favourite from very early on. But I still think he had all four children in mind for a good life at that point
Best scene for me is when the young Vito is watching Carmella and the other woman tend to a very sick baby Fredo. Vito is so distraught, so helpless.

_ _ _____________________ _ _
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Re: Best De Niro moment #38709
05/05/06 05:48 AM
05/05/06 05:48 AM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
Yes, for great acting. Its all in the face. Just like that scene in Goodfella's where just in the face we can see him decide to kill morrie...then change his mind again later

Re: Best De Niro moment #38710
05/05/06 06:31 AM
05/05/06 06:31 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
On the stairs, arm outstretched, the towel over the gun, on fire. The intensity of those eyes.

It's my favourite shot of the whole trilogy.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Best De Niro moment #38711
05/05/06 08:49 AM
05/05/06 08:49 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

The revenge hit in Sicily on ciccio for me his is best moment

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Best De Niro moment #38712
05/05/06 10:14 AM
05/05/06 10:14 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
I gotta go with the Ciccio killing. I love how he even gives Ciccio a little push after he slices his belly wide open.

Re: Best De Niro moment #38713
05/05/06 10:16 AM
05/05/06 10:16 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I think all the ones that have been mentioned are great. But I also love the scene with Signor Roberto, where DeNiro just waits silently for the landlord to change the monthly rent, THEN offers his hand. Or when he plays dumb with Clemenza, first when he swears that he didn't look inside the "package" that Clemenza threw him, and again when he pretends not to know that they're stealing the rug.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Best De Niro moment #38714
05/05/06 10:33 AM
05/05/06 10:33 AM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
I gotta go with the Ciccio killing. I love how he even gives Ciccio a little push after he slices his belly wide open
Absolutely.

Brilliant. He does that push about 3 times. And the look on his face. Fantastic.

Re: Best De Niro moment #38715
05/06/06 12:32 AM
05/06/06 12:32 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
I think all the ones that have been mentioned are great. But I also love the scene with Signor Roberto, where DeNiro just waits silently for the landlord to change the monthly rent, THEN offers his hand. Or when he plays dumb with Clemenza, first when he swears that he didn't look inside the "package" that Clemenza threw him, and again when he pretends not to know that they're stealing the rug.
I'm with you 100 percent on that scene, SB! It's a masterful piece of subtle acting--the waiting, the patient look, then the quick rise to shake hands. It's also a critical scene: it really shows young Vito being Don-like for the first time.
It's too bad that the scene that immediately followed it--young Clemenza introducing young Hyman Roth--was cut out. In that scene, Clemenza, who had been the bossy one before and had been ordering Vito around--now doffs his hat in the presence of Don Corleone and insists that Roth show the boss the proper respect.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Best De Niro moment #38716
05/06/06 05:19 AM
05/06/06 05:19 AM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Mine is at the dinner table in Sicily, where Santino was punching some guy. The man tells him to quit, and Vito looks like he doesn't really know what to do. Perhaps he was already with the Ciccio murder in his head...

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Best De Niro moment #38717
05/06/06 07:57 AM
05/06/06 07:57 AM
Walter Mosca Offline
Capo
Walter Mosca  Offline
Capo
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
On the stairs, arm outstretched, the towel over the gun, on fire. The intensity of those eyes.

It's my favourite shot of the whole trilogy.
Likewise orange

"Jonny Tightlips... you're shot!
- whered' they get you?"
"I ain't sayin' nutin'."
"But what'll I tell the Doc?!"
"Tell'um to suck a lemon."
Re: Best De Niro moment #38718
05/06/06 08:17 AM
05/06/06 08:17 AM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
Mine is at the dinner table in Sicily, where Santino was punching some guy. The man tells him to quit, and Vito looks like he doesn't really know what to do. Perhaps he was already with the Ciccio murder in his head...
Interesting remark. That moment is just awesome, showing Sonny's potential violent streak from a very early age. The Don always knew that 'Santino would have to go through all this' So I guess he just let it be

Re: Best De Niro moment #38719
05/06/06 10:02 PM
05/06/06 10:02 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
...a harbinger of things to come.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Best De Niro moment #38720
05/06/06 10:24 PM
05/06/06 10:24 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
There is no 'best' DeNiro moment.

Every second he's onscreen is superb, whether having dinner with the wife in his little tenement, killing some Don, or touring an olive oil factory in Sicily.

Unlike Pacino who is excellent, riveting, but lets face it somewhat depressing in his role as Michael...DeNiro as young Vito brings a vibrancy to the early segments that is unequaled in either of the films.

There's no 'best' DeNiro moment.

wink

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Best De Niro moment #38721
05/06/06 11:51 PM
05/06/06 11:51 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
You guys nailed a lot of the great moments. I love the whole Fanucci murder, hiding of the gun, etc., and the Don Ciccio murder.

When Vito's with Clemenza stole the carpet. Clemenza acts like he knows the guy, checks under the mat for a key, etc. Vito's onto him and suspiciously looks around. I love the music as they walk down the street. It just seemed appropriate.

When Vito brings Carmela the pear..short and sweet scene.

And I agree the Signor Roberto scene is priceless. lol Vito had a certain calm about him that Sonny for sure didn't have, and Michael maybe in the form of "quietness" , but not the "cool" that Vito had.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Best De Niro moment #38722
05/07/06 01:39 AM
05/07/06 01:39 AM
toyland
D
don illuminati Offline
Underboss
don illuminati  Offline
D
Underboss
toyland
My favorite is the sequence when Vito and Clemenza and Tessio are eating at Vito's apartment and his conversation with them about Finnuci.

Also when Genco's father has to lay him of from the store and seems truly anguished and Vito comforts Genco's father.

"How's the Italian food in this restaurant?'
Re: Best De Niro moment #38723
05/07/06 05:44 AM
05/07/06 05:44 AM
Peter_Clemenza Offline
Underboss
Peter_Clemenza  Offline
Underboss
My favourite Robert DeNiro moment is when young Fredo Corleone is lying sick on the table, as Carmela and another woman (probably a nurse) light a candle and place it on his stomach with a glass on top of it. Young Vito Corleone's face looks so helpless. A man so powerful, who was so powerless at that moment.

Re: Best De Niro moment #38724
05/07/06 09:20 AM
05/07/06 09:20 AM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
There is no 'best' DeNiro moment.

Every second he's onscreen is superb, whether having dinner with the wife in his little tenement, killing some Don, or touring an olive oil factory in Sicily.

Unlike Pacino who is excellent, riveting, but lets face it somewhat depressing in his role as Michael...DeNiro as young Vito brings a vibrancy to the early segments that is unequaled in either of the films.

There's no 'best' DeNiro moment.
Actually. Thats a fair point. I guess I should have called it 'Favourite De Niro moment' because everyone probably a personal favourite out of all his scenes, as have been evidenced in this topic

Re: Best De Niro moment #38725
05/07/06 05:10 PM
05/07/06 05:10 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
I think all the ones that have been mentioned are great. But I also love the scene with Signor Roberto, where DeNiro just waits silently for the landlord to change the monthly rent, THEN offers his hand.
Yes, I agree also. Probably my favorite DeNiro part in GFII. DeNiro really doesn't say a word in that scene and just his facial expressions, and the way that he shifts his eyes between Roberto and Genco, while putting the cigar in his mouth, is, in my opinion, just a brilliant piece of acting.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Best De Niro moment #38726
05/08/06 01:45 PM
05/08/06 01:45 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
My favorite is the sequence when Vito and Clemenza and Tessio are eating at Vito's apartment and his conversation with them about Finnuci.
If I had to choose one, this would be my favorite as well. Just watching the power shift from Vito being dismissed at the beginning of the conversation to becoming the leader by the end.

I think it's a perfect parallel to the scene in GF1 when Michael offers to kill Solozzo and McCluskey.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Best De Niro moment #38727
05/08/06 02:30 PM
05/08/06 02:30 PM
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
Montauk Offline
Made Member
Montauk  Offline
Made Member
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
Originally posted by Genco Abbandando:
I think mine is when he kills Finucci - in fact young Vito's interaction with Finucci is his definining moment - and the effort and even style he puts into killing Finucci - watching him stock the don on the rooftops of NY, it was almost an artform.

(I was thiking of that scene when i saw Vincent kill Joey Zaza in Part 3. A death is still a death, but Vincent kills Joey with brute force, while Vito kills Finucci with style. Does that make sense?)
Yet, it WASN'T stylish (which gives it an eerie style of its own) as the the towel caught fire. It was done as a reflection of Vito himself, as perfect and precise as humanly possible and matter-of-factly.

Montauk

We might be able to tape the gun behind it.
Re: Best De Niro moment #38728
05/08/06 02:42 PM
05/08/06 02:42 PM
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
Montauk Offline
Made Member
Montauk  Offline
Made Member
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
What is your favourite De Niro moment from Part II?

Mine has to be the moment just before Vito kills Ciccio.

As Tommasino is explaining to the Don who Vito is..Vito can be seen in the background just looking on with one of the best examples of concealed rage I have ever seen, the man ahead of him killed his Mother, Father and Brother...but he must remain calm until the right moment, but the way he is looking on...You'll never see the wise and reasonable Don Corleone ever look so mad...yet calm. Wonderful acting
I actually have a tie for first place.

1) The scene where a neighbor, who we later find out is Clemenza, tosses a sack across the alley to Vito and asks him to watch it for him; and Vito takes the sack to the bathtub and opens it to find that it's a stash of guns. That look where he pauses and hides his mouth with his hand was priceless; a combination of "WTF???", "sonofaBITCH!" and "OK, I'm doomed..."

2) "You've got balls, young man" scene in the cafe; De Niro's eerie coolness still resonates after a million viewings; add to it a great performance in this scene by Gaston Moschin. Then the little touch after Fanucci pinches Vito's cheek and Vito almost disgustedly wipes at his cheek.

Montauk

We might be able to tape the gun behind it.
Re: Best De Niro moment #38729
05/08/06 05:36 PM
05/08/06 05:36 PM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
Just Vito's total contempt of Fanucci is a joy, he can't understand why everyone else fears him

Re: Best De Niro moment #38730
05/09/06 01:13 PM
05/09/06 01:13 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
There are several scenes which demonstrate what kind of man the Don was....

1) The scenes with the landlord. When the landlord refuses to let the lady back in, Corleone suggests that he ask around the neighborhood to find our "how I return a favor," juxtaposed by the sheer joy he gets out of extorting him later on once he has checked the Don out.

2) After he kills Fanucci and someone gives him a free piece of fruit and he thanks the vendor and says "anthing I can do for you let me know.

3) The great scene when Genco's father offers him groceries and he turns them down.

4) The killing of Don Ciccion as someone above has already eloquently posted.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull