GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (3 invisible), 284 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,324
Posts1,058,608
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Michael's apartment in GF III #613247
09/01/11 06:11 AM
09/01/11 06:11 AM
Sonny_Black Offline OP
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline OP
Underboss
During the film's party sequence which takes place in Michael's apartment, I always got the feeling the background in the windows is fake, like it was filmed in a studio. It seems that the background is meant to be the Hudson river/Manhattan bay, but it looks really soft which is why I get the feeling it's fake. They did film in Manhattan though.

Does anyone has more info on this?

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Michael's apartment in GF III [Re: Sonny_Black] #613256
09/01/11 12:15 PM
09/01/11 12:15 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
You're right, Sonny. Here's what Harlan Lebo says in his definitive "The Godfather Legacy" (p.251):

"During the six weeks of filming at Cinecitta [Rome]...the crew erected massive sets on four enormous soundstages. The largest was Michael's lavish New York penthouse apartment; others included an Atlantic City luxury suite that was machine-gunned to pieces in a meeting of Mafia dons."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Michael's apartment in GF III [Re: Sonny_Black] #613260
09/01/11 01:16 PM
09/01/11 01:16 PM
Sonny_Black Offline OP
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline OP
Underboss
Great find TB! I think that answers the question. I must say I'm a little bit disappointed as I hoped that I was wrong. This whole sequence feels like a soap with it's visible fake interior. Imo, this is the worst sequence of the film and unfortunately also an important one.

Re: Michael's apartment in GF III [Re: Sonny_Black] #613264
09/01/11 01:49 PM
09/01/11 01:49 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
If you're talking about the scene with Andrew Hagen about to go to Rome, I agree. It wasn't in the theatrical release--it was added for home video.

BTW: Sonny, a guy with your interest and knowledge of the Trilogy should really get Lebo's book--it's universally respected here.

Re: Michael's apartment in GF III [Re: Turnbull] #613265
09/01/11 01:50 PM
09/01/11 01:50 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
What about the exterior scene where Michael tells Mary "I'd burn in Hell to keep you safe?"

That looked an awful lot like Sutton Place to me.

Sonny, if I'm right, Sutton Place overlooks the East River. The Hudson River is on the west side (just in case you ever visit smile ).

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Michael's apartment in GF III [Re: Turnbull] #613266
09/01/11 02:03 PM
09/01/11 02:03 PM
Sonny_Black Offline OP
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline OP
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
If you're talking about the scene with Andrew Hagen about to go to Rome, I agree. It wasn't in the theatrical release--it was added for home video.

No, I mean the party sequence with the bad keyboard music in the beginning of the film. FFC used the same routine opening with a party as he did in Part I and Part II. However, this time, it didn't work out well.

Quote:
BTW: Sonny, a guy with your interest and knowledge of the Trilogy should really get Lebo's book--it's universally respected here.

I own the Godfather Legacy for years now, as well as The Godfather Book and the Annotated Godfather. All three books are great, but for overall information The Godfather Book really is the best. smile

Re: Michael's apartment in GF III [Re: pizzaboy] #613267
09/01/11 02:08 PM
09/01/11 02:08 PM
Sonny_Black Offline OP
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline OP
Underboss
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
What about the exterior scene where Michael tells Mary "I'd burn in Hell to keep you safe?"

That looked an awful lot like Sutton Place to me.

Sonny, if I'm right, Sutton Place overlooks the East River. The Hudson River is on the west side (just in case you ever visit smile ).

You're right. I Forgot. And during this scene when Mike sits outside with Mary you can see the interior as well. I think it's the same apartment. So now I'm confused. confused Maybe it isn't fake afterall. Or maybe they only used a part of that interior while the room with the fake looking windows was a studio.

In GF I, part of the compound interior was real while the Don's office was filmed inside a studio if I remember correctly.

Re: Michael's apartment in GF III [Re: Sonny_Black] #613299
09/01/11 10:00 PM
09/01/11 10:00 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Originally Posted By: Turnbull

No, I mean the party sequence with the bad keyboard music in the beginning of the film. FFC used the same routine opening with a party as he did in Part I and Part II. However, this time, it didn't work out well.

Well, nothing compares with Connie's wedding. But the party scene in III, while hokey, serves a useful purpose: to re-introduce us to some of the folks we know and love from the other films, and to provide some little parallels. For example, the opening music is Ernesto Lecuona's "Cuban Rhapsody," which was sung (with guitar) in the opening of the Havana sequence in II. And Neri has Zasa "waiting in the lobby," as was Frankie in II. Also the party scene showed Kay in a newly assertive role.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull