GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (chin_gigante), 333 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,594
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,066
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,366
Posts1,059,461
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Senator Garry #38503
05/02/06 04:12 AM
05/02/06 04:12 AM
Israel
Hagit2 Offline OP
Wiseguy
Hagit2  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Israel
It puzzeled me for quite sometime:
How come that Michael let the Senator come out so easily?
That SOB said unspeakable things about the family... true, he got a "message" that reminded him who were his friends - but still (we know that Michael eliminated ALL his enemies at the end of GF2)...

Besides he sits in the famous Senate hearing and then leaves... confused confused
I simplly don't get it... confused confused confused

Behind every great furtune there is a crime - Balzac (The Godfather's Moto).
Re: Senator Garry #38504
05/02/06 08:07 AM
05/02/06 08:07 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
The Corleones are then blackmailing the Senator and own him. They keep him around because they can control what he does in Congress.

I think the Senator made his speech and left because he wasn't a member of that specific committee, so that it was unusual for him to be there at all.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Senator Garry #38505
05/02/06 09:36 AM
05/02/06 09:36 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
I think he was a member of the committee. He asked a question that helped out Michael and then excused himself from the hearings because he didn't "believe" in the commission's mission to bring down Michael.

Re: Senator Garry #38506
05/02/06 10:12 AM
05/02/06 10:12 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
I'm pretty sure Sen. Geary was a member of the committee, and probably through no choice of his own. He asked his obligatory questions & at Michael's appearance made his statement and promptly exited because as a result of the prostitute incident he was most definitely owned by Michael Corleone.

He had to act accordingly to both save face in the Senate and also not rub Don Corleone the wrong way. You can see in his expression at a certain point in the hearings that he was not at all happy nor proud to be in the position he was in.

While he certainly gave Michael a bit of a hard time at the beginning (asking that enourmous price for the gaming license and smugly demanding never to be contacted again) and did say aweful things, Geary did not exactly betray and eventually was made to fall into line. Therefore he was never really and 'enemy' and not subject to 'elimination'.

Plus as moustachepete indicates...it's always nice to have a U.S. Senator in your pocket.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Senator Garry #38507
05/02/06 11:44 AM
05/02/06 11:44 AM
england
anthony lee Offline
Made Member
anthony lee  Offline
Made Member
england
when hagen meets geary at the brothel hagen tells geary to call his office and tell them that he stayed the night at michael corleones house, if that got out in the hearing and he had stayed at the hearing he would of been in trouble cool

IN MY HOME!IN MY BEDROOM WHERE MY WIFE SLEEPS!where my children come to play with their toys...
Re: Senator Garry #38508
05/02/06 11:52 AM
05/02/06 11:52 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I have a contrary view:
Geary was a member of that committee, and so he had to know that Frankie Pentangeli had survived and was being hidden away as a perjury trap for Michael. Geary was part of that trap:
When Michael first testified, he and Tom didn't know about Frankie--they thought Cicci was the highest-level witness the committee had against the Corleones. Geary asked Cicci a question that was seemingly helpful to Michael: "Did you ever get a direct order from him? Or were there always buffers?" "No, I never talked to him," replied Cicci. Michael relaxed: Since (it seemed) no one could say they got a direct order from him, he was free to lie under oath about the charges the committee leveled against him.
Then, bada- bing! The committee produced Frankie, who could corroborate those charges. Michael could be sent away on five counts of perjury--in large part because Geary had made him relax enough to lie under oath by asking Cicci that seemingly helpful question.
Some people here might believe that Geary wouldn't have knowingly tried to trap Michael--it'd be suicide. Certainly it would have been risky. But as we saw so many times in the film, people bent on revenge (like Carlo and Fredo) don't think logically--and Geary had every reason to want to avenge himself on Michael.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Senator Garry #38509
05/02/06 03:33 PM
05/02/06 03:33 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Turnbull:
...as we saw so many times in the film, people bent on revenge (like Carlo and Fredo) don't think logically--and Geary had every reason to want to avenge himself on Michael.
After being caught in that brothel with a murdered prostitute with whom he had '...done it before...', and subsequently saved by Tom Hagen himself...I don't think Geary was in any position nor would he have a desire to 'avenge himself' on Michael.

Even if he later realized it was a setup (which he probably did)...they had too much on him and even a Michael Corleone in prison could pull strings to disgrace Geary and end his career in politics.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Senator Garry #38510
05/02/06 04:13 PM
05/02/06 04:13 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Yes, but Geary finessed that whole senate investigation. He had to have gone to Michael and said "Look I am just a member of a committee, and there is nothing I can do excedpt put in a good word for you and then excuse myself from the proceedings. I have no doubt, as has been said elsewhere that he was simultaneously telling the chairman that he would ask a few questions about "buffers" to help set the perjury trap and then say some nice things about Italians and leave the room. He was claerly playing both sides. If Michael had gone to prison for perjury his allegations about the senator and the prostitute would never have been believed.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Senator Garry #38511
05/02/06 04:38 PM
05/02/06 04:38 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Still not convinced.

There was another topic a while back where the possibility of someone (I forget who) being a traitor to Michael was discussed. It was bantered around a bit & pretty much dismissed on the premise that if that were true, FFC/Puzo would have made it known to the audience that this was the case.

I believe the same with regard to Geary. If it was his intent to gleefully sit on the Senate Committee and take an active part in the taking down of Michael Corleone, that would have been made absolutely clear to us. We would have probably seen him not being murdered, but hauled off to jail or resigning in disgrace in that montage at the end when we see Fredo & Frankie getting their own just desserts.

As it is, the last time we see Sen. Geary is when he smoothly excuses himself from the hearings after making that glowing speech about the great Italian people.

The implication is that Geary survives to remain at Michael's service on some future occasion.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Senator Garry #38512
05/02/06 07:05 PM
05/02/06 07:05 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
As it is, the last time we see Sen. Geary is when he smoothly excuses himself from the hearings after making that glowing speech about the great Italian people.

Apple
Politicians are nothing if not two-faced. That glowing speech could have been a two-faced speech, IMO. When he says "These hearings on the Mafia," who might he have meant by "Mafia," if not the witness in the chair? And when he says, "An' it'd be a shame, Mr. Chairman, for just a few rotten apples to spoil the whole bunch," who could he have been referring to by "bad apple" if not the witness in the chair?
I also think he was playing that two-faced game at Anthony's party. He knew that Michael was a gangster, and assumed that others at the party knew that Michael was a gangster--and that Geary knew it. So, he refers to Anthony as "Anthony VY-toe Cor-lee-ON," IMO deliberately mispronouncing the name so the thousands of people there would get the impression that he wasn't very close to the Corleones--just making another stop on the rubber-chicken circuit. Later, in private, he sharpens it up to "Mister Cor-lee-OWN-nee," and then makes with his hair-and-clothes critique.

Re: Senator Garry #38513
05/02/06 07:29 PM
05/02/06 07:29 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
All that 'Cor-lee-OWN-nee' stuff was definitely intentional, and it was also before the incident with the prostitute. Geary was not at that point owned by or beholden to Michael.

I still don't think he was avenging himself at the time of the hearings.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Senator Garry #38514
05/02/06 09:51 PM
05/02/06 09:51 PM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline
The Don
Underboss
London
Is perhaps killing Senator Geary a little out of Michaels depth? A killing like that would surely be investigated and it could possibly get back to him. Mike lets the insults to his family slide as he knows having Sen. Geary on side is to his advantage.

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Senator Garry #38515
05/02/06 10:52 PM
05/02/06 10:52 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Originally posted by DeathByClotheshanger:
I think he was a member of the committee.
I think that Geary says that he's leaving to chair a meeting of "my own committee". It COULD be that he's the chairman of some other committee, and calls that one his own committee, but in that case he would have the ability to schedule things as he pleased.

In a practical sense, if Geary was a member of the committee, then he would have to sit through the whole thing. It would be very suspicious, to either the press or to Michael, if he bolted the televised organized crime hearings to go talk about wool subsidies or something.

It does make sense, though, for Geary to extract a few minutes with the microphone when his constituent was the target of the investigation. Even if he were honest, committe counsel would probably have been overjoyed to find some way to deflect that he was being unfair to Michael.

Re: Senator Garry #38516
05/02/06 11:13 PM
05/02/06 11:13 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Geary asked Cicci a question that was seemingly helpful to Michael: "Did you ever get a direct order from him? Or were there always buffers?" "No, I never talked to him," replied Cicci. Michael relaxed: Since (it seemed) no one could say they got a direct order from him, he was free to lie under oath about the charges the committee leveled against him.
Michael was at all the meetings with the capos, so he didn't need Cicci to say there were buffers. There were always buffers, so Michael would always be free to lie - that's why Vito set up the system the way he did in the 30's.

Re: Senator Garry #38517
05/03/06 12:26 AM
05/03/06 12:26 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Of course he didn't need Cicci to say there were always buffers. He thought that Cicci was the top witness that the government had--and since Cicci reaffirmed that he got no direct orders from Michael--and since Michael thought the committee had no other witnesses to use against him--he thought he could get away with lying under oath.

Re: Senator Garry #38518
05/03/06 12:17 PM
05/03/06 12:17 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
I think that Michael always thought that he could get away with lying under oath, not just in the Senate hearing, but in any proceeding that he would face. He knew the names of the people he dealt with directly - Frankie, Tom, Neri, Rocco - and he always knew that as long as those people were under his control, then he, at least, was insulated. Geary's question about buffers wouldn't add anything to what Michael already knew about his legal position.

I think that Geary was running interference for Michael on the public relations front. Michael would want the question about buffers to be raised as quickly as possible, so that his allies in the press and politics could all say, "He doesn't even know Michael", in answer to any questions.

Re: Senator Garry #38519
05/03/06 12:35 PM
05/03/06 12:35 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
[b] As it is, the last time we see Sen. Geary is when he smoothly excuses himself from the hearings after making that glowing speech about the great Italian people.

Apple
Politicians are nothing if not two-faced. That glowing speech could have been a two-faced speech, IMO. When he says "These hearings on the Mafia," who might he have meant by "Mafia," if not the witness in the chair? And when he says, "An' it'd be a shame, Mr. Chairman, for just a few rotten apples to spoil the whole bunch," who could he have been referring to by "bad apple" if not the witness in the chair?
I also think he was playing that two-faced game at Anthony's party. He knew that Michael was a gangster, and assumed that others at the party knew that Michael was a gangster--and that Geary knew it. So, he refers to Anthony as "Anthony VY-toe Cor-lee-ON," IMO deliberately mispronouncing the name so the thousands of people there would get the impression that he wasn't very close to the Corleones--just making another stop on the rubber-chicken circuit. Later, in private, he sharpens it up to "Mister Cor-lee-OWN-nee," and then makes with his hair-and-clothes critique. [/b]
Exactly TB... and he also deliberately acts like he forgot Kay's name ..he says Mike...Pat..uh Kay please stand ... then he "forgets" to introduce the choir, and when he is reminded by the (non italian) bandleader he just says they have selected a "special" number for their host.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Senator Garry #38520
05/04/06 12:56 PM
05/04/06 12:56 PM
Israel
Hagit2 Offline OP
Wiseguy
Hagit2  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Israel
Thank you all for your responses!! cool cool smile smile
Very enlighening!!
H.

Behind every great furtune there is a crime - Balzac (The Godfather's Moto).
Re: Senator Garry #38521
05/08/06 01:01 PM
05/08/06 01:01 PM
St. Louis
King_Corleone Offline
Wiseguy
King_Corleone  Offline
Wiseguy
St. Louis
[/qb][/QUOTE]Politicians are nothing if not two-faced. That glowing speech could have been a two-faced speech, IMO. When he says "These hearings on the Mafia," who might he have meant by "Mafia," if not the witness in the chair? And when he says, "An' it'd be a shame, Mr. Chairman, for just a few rotten apples to spoil the whole bunch," who could he have been referring to by "bad apple" if not the witness in the chair?
I also think he was playing that two-faced game at Anthony's party. He knew that Michael was a gangster, and assumed that others at the party knew that Michael was a gangster--and that Geary knew it. So, he refers to Anthony as "Anthony VY-toe Cor-lee-ON," IMO deliberately mispronouncing the name so the thousands of people there would get the impression that he wasn't very close to the Corleones--just making another stop on the rubber-chicken circuit. Later, in private, he sharpens it up to "Mister Cor-lee-OWN-nee," and then makes with his hair-and-clothes critique. [/QB][/QUOTE]

As a Pre-Law and Political Science major with aspirations of Public Office I find these comments offensive. Lets not let some rotten apples spoil the whole barrel! wink

"Every man has but one destiny."
-Vito Corleone
Re: Senator Garry #38522
05/08/06 03:04 PM
05/08/06 03:04 PM
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
Montauk Offline
Made Member
Montauk  Offline
Made Member
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
I have a contrary view:
Geary was a member of that committee, and so he had to know that Frankie Pentangeli had survived and was being hidden away as a perjury trap for Michael. Geary was part of that trap:
When Michael first testified, he and Tom didn't know about Frankie--they thought Cicci was the highest-level witness the committee had against the Corleones. Geary asked Cicci a question that was seemingly helpful to Michael: "Did you ever get a direct order from him? Or were there always buffers?" "No, I never talked to him," replied Cicci. Michael relaxed: Since (it seemed) no one could say they got a direct order from him, he was free to lie under oath about the charges the committee leveled against him.
Then, bada- bing! The committee produced Frankie, who could corroborate those charges. Michael could be sent away on five counts of perjury--in large part because Geary had made him relax enough to lie under oath by asking Cicci that seemingly helpful question.
Some people here might believe that Geary wouldn't have knowingly tried to trap Michael--it'd be suicide. Certainly it would have been risky. But as we saw so many times in the film, people bent on revenge (like Carlo and Fredo) don't think logically--and Geary had every reason to want to avenge himself on Michael.
I dunno... if he just left the room quietly, then I ride with you. But that cornball speech was the tell; he was still Michael's bitch, no ifs ands or buts.

But you remind me... what about Cicci? How did HE get off so scot-free?

Montauk

We might be able to tape the gun behind it.
Re: Senator Garry #38523
05/08/06 05:38 PM
05/08/06 05:38 PM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
I suspect he did not

They can't show everything

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Senator Garry #38524
05/10/06 12:23 PM
05/10/06 12:23 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by The Hollywood Finochio:
I suspect he did not

They can't show everything
He probably got a reduced sentence. Since they didn't have a witness protection program at the time, he probably served it at some out-of-the-way prison, in solitary, as did Joe Valachi.

Re: Senator Garry #38525
05/10/06 01:59 PM
05/10/06 01:59 PM
California
WildTrout Offline
Wiseguy
WildTrout  Offline
Wiseguy
California
Refresh my memory. What exactly did Cicci do wrong? He was under subpoena. He didn't directly implicate Michael. I might have missed something.

But if Clemenza can figure a way to have a weapon planted there for me then I'll kill 'em both.
Re: Senator Garry #38526
05/10/06 02:12 PM
05/10/06 02:12 PM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
He DEFINITELY implicated Michael. Weren't you listening, he said Michaels name plain as day, and said he had served under Clemenza who had served under Michael. His evidence wasn't enough to indict Mike, that would be Frankies job, but every litttle helps.

WHY Willi did this is the question. I guess after he was run down, he was picked up and threatened with prison if he didn't talk

Re: Senator Garry #38527
05/10/06 02:14 PM
05/10/06 02:14 PM
California
WildTrout Offline
Wiseguy
WildTrout  Offline
Wiseguy
California
HF,
You are right. I'ts been a while since I saw GFII. I stand corrected. eek

But if Clemenza can figure a way to have a weapon planted there for me then I'll kill 'em both.
Re: Senator Garry #38528
05/10/06 02:29 PM
05/10/06 02:29 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Originally posted by The Hollywood Finochio:
WHY Willi did this is the question. I guess after he was run down, he was picked up and threatened with prison if he didn't talk
I think that one of the reasons people get promoted in these organizations is that they give some sign they WON'T talk if they're threatened with jail.

What worked with Frankie was that he was convinced (whether intentionally by Roth or not) that Michael had set him up, so that the family wasn't protecting him any more. I would think that something similar happened with Cicci - he may have even been told that Frankie was alive and talking.

Re: Senator Garry #38529
05/10/06 03:06 PM
05/10/06 03:06 PM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
If Willi wasn't scared of going to jail, then there must be a reason why he'd rat. I don't think hearing things on the grapevine from Frankie is enough, I can't see how the two of them could have got to eachother after the Rosato's incident

Re: Senator Garry #38530
05/10/06 03:17 PM
05/10/06 03:17 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
If Willie knew that Frankie was talking, then Willie would know that Frankie could put him in the electic chair.

Re: Senator Garry #38531
05/11/06 09:34 AM
05/11/06 09:34 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Did Cicci implicate Michael? Yes...and no. Yes, he testified that Michael Corleone was the boss of the family--bad for Michael. No, he said he never got a direct order from him because "the family had a lotta buffiz." That was helpful. Recall that, near the end of GF, Cicci says, "Tom, Sal, the boss says for you to go ahead and he'll come in a separate car." That indicates that he did get a direct order from Michael that implicated him in a hit--Tessio's murder. But he didn't testify to that.

Re: Senator Garry #38532
05/11/06 09:41 AM
05/11/06 09:41 AM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
We didn't see ALL of his questioning

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull