GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Irishman12), 249 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,461
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,881
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,322
Posts1,058,582
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
If Fredo came clean... #611225
08/16/11 12:30 PM
08/16/11 12:30 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
..would Micheal have spared his life?

Some will argue that Micheal was always going to kill the traitor in his family, however, in the case of Fredo, I'm not so sure.

If Fredo had admitted that he was in cahoots with Ola/Roth immediately following the Lake Tahoe shooting, I think it would have gone a long way in convincing Micheal that Fredo 'never knew it was gonna be a hit'.

Also, Fredo had recieved indication that Frank may be killed , but he chose not to share this with Micheal. He even let Micheal continue doing business with Roth/Ola knowing that they had tried to kill him.

Was it Fredo's silence that led Micheal to believe that Fredo deserved to die? If Fredo had come clean, he could have helped Micheal take his revenge and saved Frank's life. This may have convinced Micheal to spare Fredo.

Opinions?

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Immobiliare] #611229
08/16/11 12:49 PM
08/16/11 12:49 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I am repeating myself here, but IMHO Fredo could have never "come clean" because by doing so he would have had to reveal he knew it was going to be a hit, and that it was he who let Manolo in to open the drapes.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Immobiliare] #611231
08/16/11 01:15 PM
08/16/11 01:15 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
I don't know if mike would have let him live because at that point he was so paranoid. I'm not saying Fredo didn't do anything wron but its not like he wanted his brother dead. Fredo was a dumbass but he was a good guy at heart. Now a guy like Carlo on the otherhand deserved to die since he beat women, and basically was an accomplice in murder knowing full well that Sonny would be killed. Fredo didn't know it was gonna be a hit. Stupid? yes Premediatated? No

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: dontomasso] #611235
08/16/11 01:42 PM
08/16/11 01:42 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
I am repeating myself here, but IMHO Fredo could have never "come clean" because by doing so he would have had to reveal he knew it was going to be a hit, and that it was he who let Manolo in to open the drapes.

In a deleted scene, Fredo is seen talking to Manolo and pointing toward the house. It's not clear if it was Fredo or Manolo who was asking about gettingin.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: olivant] #611298
08/16/11 08:59 PM
08/16/11 08:59 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I have thought, at times, that Michael might have been ready to give his brother a pass. But Fredo's outburst in the boat house showed the depths of his resentment of Michael. I think Michael concluded at that point that Fredo would alays be a danger to him.

Keep in mind that Fredo knew the Feds had Pentangeli. And, after the outburst, he tells Michael that "the Senate lawyer, Questadt, belongs to Roth." That was info Michael didn't have. Had Fredo wanted to get back into Michael's good graces, he could have told him that long before Michael perjured himself five times. That tells me (as it must have told Michael) that, even after his perfidy was exponsed in Havana, Fredo was still unrepentant.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Turnbull] #611301
08/16/11 09:48 PM
08/16/11 09:48 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
You know TB, several of us have also asked why Fredo had to be murdered. Why couldn't he have simply been excluded from the family? Afterall, Michael had already pretty much excluded him prior to their reconsiliation at the funeral. It's obvious that if Fredo wasn't privy to any information, then his value to Michael's enemies would be nil. No, Fredo's murder was simply a functionof Michael's personality.

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Immobiliare] #611353
08/17/11 10:10 AM
08/17/11 10:10 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Agreed, Oli.

Michael's conduct toward Fredo - allowing him to live as long as Mama does, giving him access to the compound, etc. - shows clearly that Michael does not view Fredo as a threat.

Michael killed him out of rage and retribution, not as a calculated self-defense mechanism. This is affirmed in GFIII during the confession to Lamberto, when he explains his murder of Fredo by saying "He injured me."

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: The Last Woltz] #611359
08/17/11 10:49 AM
08/17/11 10:49 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

While Michael may have regretted killing Fredo by the time he confessed to Lamberto, at the time, it was necessary that Michael kill Fredo. Michael was the head of a criminal empire, and when traitors and enemies got in the way it was mandatory they be killed. Anything short of that would be a sign of weakness, at least in Michael's mind. I am sure if he had asked Tom Hagen for advice on this issue Tom would have come up with some kind of arrangement that allowed Fredo to live.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Turnbull] #611361
08/17/11 11:54 AM
08/17/11 11:54 AM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
I have thought, at times, that Michael might have been ready to give his brother a pass. But Fredo's outburst in the boat house showed the depths of his resentment of Michael. I think Michael concluded at that point that Fredo would alays be a danger to him.

Keep in mind that Fredo knew the Feds had Pentangeli. And, after the outburst, he tells Michael that "the Senate lawyer, Questadt, belongs to Roth." That was info Michael didn't have. Had Fredo wanted to get back into Michael's good graces, he could have told him that long before Michael perjured himself five times. That tells me (as it must have told Michael) that, even after his perfidy was exponsed in Havana, Fredo was still unrepentant.

Sums up what I was thinking. When Micheal says "you're still my brother" and when he tells Tom to tell Fredo "not to be scared" makes me think he wasn't decided that he would kill Fredo. Something convinced him, probably the realisation that Fredo knew more than he let on and that he was in a position to help Micheal but didn't.

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: JCrusher] #611366
08/17/11 12:29 PM
08/17/11 12:29 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
Originally Posted By: JCrusher
I don't know if mike would have let him live because at that point he was so paranoid. I'm not saying Fredo didn't do anything wron but its not like he wanted his brother dead. Fredo was a dumbass but he was a good guy at heart. Now a guy like Carlo on the otherhand deserved to die since he beat women, and basically was an accomplice in murder knowing full well that Sonny would be killed. Fredo didn't know it was gonna be a hit. Stupid? yes Premediatated? No

Was he really? What makes you think this?

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Immobiliare] #611373
08/17/11 01:22 PM
08/17/11 01:22 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Immobiliare
Originally Posted By: JCrusher

Was he really? What makes you think this?

I'm not saying he didn't make bad choices but he never killed anyone he cared about his family even Mike says this. Your welcome to your opinion but it seems like u think fredo is the devil lol. I mean on the otherhand there is mike who commits som pretty horrific acts

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Immobiliare] #611376
08/17/11 01:42 PM
08/17/11 01:42 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
I don't think Fredo is the devil but I don't have as much sympathy for him as many people do.

He jeapordised his own family, including his niece and nephew, because of jealousy. Thats pretty low in my opinion.

He could have helped Micheal with the senate hearing but chose not to.

He could have, or atleast attempted to, save Frank Pentangelli but chose not to.

This is all before we even consider if he 'knew it was going to be a hit'.

Fact is, most of the reasons used to condemn Micheal, came about because he was Don. He had to make strong decisions. Fredo would also have been guilty of making 'immoral' decisions if he was smart enough to be Don, something we know he craved.

I think just because Fredo is stupid he gets cut a lot of slack that he doesn't neccessarily deserve.

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Immobiliare] #611384
08/17/11 02:40 PM
08/17/11 02:40 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I think what so many of you are missing here is the horror of fratricide. Vito couldn't even conceive of murdering one of his children and would turn over in his grave even at the thought of fratricide. What makes Michael's murder of Fredo so insidious, so odius is his keeping him around, accepting him back into the family, deceiving his sister into believing that he had forgiven Fredo, and then using his sister and Michael's son to facilitate Fredo's murder. Thus, Fredo's murder goes well beyond fratricide.

Making strong decisions because he was the Don? A strong decision must be based on necessity. What was the necessity? There was none. What was Michael's percentage? You know what it was? He satisfied his own need, not that of his crime family. In doing so, he showed that he was willing to involve his sister and son in a murder scenario. Madonne! I wish I could think of a stronger adjective to state about him other than insidious.

Last edited by olivant; 08/17/11 02:42 PM.

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Turnbull] #611387
08/17/11 03:07 PM
08/17/11 03:07 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss

I agree. I think it was Fredo's outburst that got him killed.

When the revolution is about to set in and Michael yells to Fredo "Come with me, you're still my brother", I think he was sincere.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: The Last Woltz] #611388
08/17/11 03:09 PM
08/17/11 03:09 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz
Agreed, Oli.

Michael's conduct toward Fredo - allowing him to live as long as Mama does, giving him access to the compound, etc. - shows clearly that Michael does not view Fredo as a threat.

Michael killed him out of rage and retribution, not as a calculated self-defense mechanism. This is affirmed in GFIII during the confession to Lamberto, when he explains his murder of Fredo by saying "He injured me."

Michael killed Fredo nevertheless out of principle. He already gave Neri the signal that Fredo was a dead man walking. If he did change his mind it could have been interpretated as a sign of weakness. Or maybe Michael thought he had to make an example to others in his organisation; "it doesn't matter who you are, if you betray me, you get killed".

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Immobiliare] #611389
08/17/11 03:11 PM
08/17/11 03:11 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
RE: olivant

Micheal ordered the killing of his own brother. Fredo betrayed the family which almost led to the death of his own brother/brothers family. He then continued to allow Micheal to remain in danger instead of helping. Yes Micheal was 'insidious' but Fredo was not much better.

Most of Micheal's 'immoral' decisions were strong business decisions, ones that Vito had to make and ones that Fredo/Sonny would have had to make if they were Don. Perhaps, the murder of Fredo doesn't fall into this category but it's debateable. If you conclude that Fredo 'knew it was going to be a hit' then most people agree that killing Fredo was a 'neccessity'.

I can't really accept the notion that Micheal was innately worse moralistically than any of the other males in the family .

Last edited by Immobiliare; 08/17/11 03:18 PM.
Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Immobiliare] #611390
08/17/11 03:14 PM
08/17/11 03:14 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I think just because Fredo is stupid he gets cut a lot of slack that he doesn't neccessarily deserve.

I think it was more frustration than stupidity on Fredo's behalf.

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Sonny_Black] #611391
08/17/11 03:17 PM
08/17/11 03:17 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz
Agreed, Oli.

Michael killed Fredo nevertheless out of principle. He already gave Neri the signal that Fredo was a dead man walking. If he did change his mind it could have been interpretated as a sign of weakness. Or maybe Michael thought he had to make an example to others in his organisation; "it doesn't matter who you are, if you betray me, you get killed".

Good point.

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Sonny_Black] #611392
08/17/11 03:22 PM
08/17/11 03:22 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

I think it was more frustration than stupidity on Fredo's behalf.

Fredo is stupid so no one trusts him with any major aspects of the business. Thus, he is never asked to behave as immorally as others. This doesn't make him a 'good guy at heart' is my point.

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Immobiliare] #611397
08/17/11 03:44 PM
08/17/11 03:44 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Yes, fraticide is horrible (and, as Lamberto said, "Those are terrible crimes and it is just(ice) that you suffer." And I'm sure that anger and revenge entered into Michael's decision. But, as a matter of business, Michael was dealing with a brother whose betrayal almost resulted in fraticide of his own. Plus, he could have saved Michael from the perjury rap he was facing. Sure, he could have made arrangements to see to it that Fredo never was in a position to learn anything of use to a strong foe. But, he'd still have the memory that his dumb, incompetent brother nearly had him killed. Not a big incentive to let him live.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Turnbull] #611401
08/17/11 04:04 PM
08/17/11 04:04 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
Yes, fraticide is horrible (and, as Lamberto said, "Those are terrible crimes and it is just(ice) that you suffer." And I'm sure that anger and revenge entered into Michael's decision. But, as a matter of business, Michael was dealing with a brother whose betrayal almost resulted in fraticide of his own. Plus, he could have saved Michael from the perjury rap he was facing. Sure, he could have made arrangements to see to it that Fredo never was in a position to learn anything of use to a strong foe. But, he'd still have the memory that his dumb, incompetent brother nearly had him killed. Not a big incentive to let him live.

How this seems to escape people is beyond me!

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Immobiliare] #611404
08/17/11 05:18 PM
08/17/11 05:18 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
I agree olivant. Yes the Godfather is fiction but i'm surprised some people say that even though Fredo is his brother just to kill him. I hope they dont feel that way about real life stuff lol

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Immobiliare] #611426
08/17/11 10:48 PM
08/17/11 10:48 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
In the end of the novel, Kay leaves Michael and returns to New Hampshire. Tom Hagen goes up to talk to her. She asks him about Carlo's death, about the fact that Carlo had turned it around, was a good husband and father now, never beat Connie any more, was a good worker, etc. She asked why he couldn't be forgiven, and Tom says, "In this world, he could be."

Fredo would always be a danger, especially after his rampage in the boathouse revealed the depth of his resentment toward Michael. Michael couldn't let Fredo live, because he would always be a threat to the Family and the family.

Sure, it bothered Michael. Yes, it was the one murder that plagued him, but I still think that if he had the opportunity to turn back time, he would have done it again.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Sicilian Babe] #611428
08/17/11 11:08 PM
08/17/11 11:08 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Fredo would always be a danger

Many posts about this controversy are replete with statements such as yours. However, noone ever states what the danger is that Fredo would always be?

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Immobiliare] #611433
08/17/11 11:43 PM
08/17/11 11:43 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
His potential for future treachery was the danger. If Fredo was truly penitent for his transgression, then why was he still so angry and resentful? His rant in the boathouse proved to Michael that Fredo was not simply duped, he went outside the family for his own interests, spurred on by his envy of his younger brother. That meant that he would always be capable of betraying the Family in the future.

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Sicilian Babe] #611435
08/17/11 11:57 PM
08/17/11 11:57 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
His potential for future treachery was the danger. If Fredo was truly penitent for his transgression, then why was he still so angry and resentful? His rant in the boathouse proved to Michael that Fredo was not simply duped, he went outside the family for his own interests, spurred on by his envy of his younger brother. That meant that he would always be capable of betraying the Family in the future.

All you've done is restate Fredo's state of mind. Again, how would he physically betray the Family?

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Immobiliare] #611436
08/18/11 12:00 AM
08/18/11 12:00 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Because an enemy of the family could approach him again in the future, just as Roth did. Because he was so jealous of Michael, he might betray his brother again, especially if someone promised Fredo that it would be something good for him and good for the Family.

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Sicilian Babe] #611438
08/18/11 12:07 AM
08/18/11 12:07 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Because an enemy of the family could approach him again in the future, just as Roth did. Because he was so jealous of Michael, he might betray his brother again, especially if someone promised Fredo that it would be something good for him and good for the Family.

I keep asking, how? Michael exiled him from the Family. He was only allowed cursory contact with his mother. He was banned from the Corleone hotels. It took Connie's entreaty to get Michael to give Fredo even a brief respite bewteen their mother's death and Fredo's murder. So, what is it that someone expected to obtain from Fredo in exchange for a promise of something good?

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Immobiliare] #611469
08/18/11 07:44 AM
08/18/11 07:44 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Fredo possibly remaining a threat is uncertain which is why I think Michael killed him out of principle, and perhaps also out of anger and revenge.

Re: If Fredo came clean... [Re: Sonny_Black] #611474
08/18/11 09:41 AM
08/18/11 09:41 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Everyone please keep in mind Fredo's attitude when Michael found out about his treachery. Fredo wasn't the least bit contrite. Instead he went off on a rant about how he was passed over, how he had to run mickey mouse night clubs and take people to the airport. So even after the attempted hit, and with the knowledge Micael was facing a perjury rap, Fredo was still angry and resentful. IMHO the only reason he gave
Michael the information that they had Pentangeli (which Michael already knew) and that Roth owned Questadt was a lame attempt to keep Michael from killing him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull