GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Mafia101, 1 invisible), 593 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,081
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,373
Posts1,059,539
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Frank gets garotted #610780
08/13/11 10:56 AM
08/13/11 10:56 AM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
What train of thought did FFC want first time viewers to follow with regards to the question of who tried to kill Micheal?

At first, the viewer thinks it was Frank following Micheal's conversation with Roth. Then we are led to believe that it was Roth, after Micheal's meeting with Frank in NY. Then, when Frank is garotted - 'Micheal Corleone say hello', are the audience meant to think that it was actually Frank all along? Or is it purposely left ambiguous? What were you thinking the first time you saw the movie?

Last edited by Immobiliare; 08/13/11 10:57 AM.
Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: Immobiliare] #610781
08/13/11 10:58 AM
08/13/11 10:58 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I had no doubt that it was Roth. The line during the garroting of Frankie has been debated endlessly on this Board. The conclusion of most is that it was an ablib by Aiello and FFC left it in.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: Immobiliare] #610783
08/13/11 11:04 AM
08/13/11 11:04 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Immobiliare
What train of thought did FFC want first time viewers to follow with regards to the question of who tried to kill Micheal?

At first, the viewer thinks it was Frank following Micheal's conversation with Roth. Then we are led to believe that it was Roth, after Micheal's meeting with Frank in NY. Then, when Frank is garotted - 'Micheal Corleone say hello', are the audience meant to think that it was actually Frank all along? Or is it purposely left ambiguous? What were you thinking the first time you saw the movie?

I wish I would remember, but I've seen the movie ten times already. smile

What I do remember is that I found that Rocco was acting a little suspiciously.

Last edited by Sonny_Black; 08/13/11 11:07 AM.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: Sonny_Black] #610784
08/13/11 11:10 AM
08/13/11 11:10 AM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

I wish I would remember, but I've seen the movie ten times already. smile

What I do remember is that I found that Rocco was acting a little suspiciously.

I have the same problem!

I remember completely missing the point of Fredo's conversation on the phone with Ola the first time I watched it. I found out that Fredo was the traitor when Micheal did!

Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: olivant] #610785
08/13/11 11:14 AM
08/13/11 11:14 AM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
Originally Posted By: olivant
I had no doubt that it was Roth. The line during the garroting of Frankie has been debated endlessly on this Board. The conclusion of most is that it was an ablib by Aiello and FFC left it in.

What ablib are you referring to?

The first time you watched the movie you had no doubts at all? It was a long time ago but I'm sure I remember being confused the first time - only when Micheal asks Roth 'who gave the order (to kill frank)?' is when I was sure that it wasn't Frank.

Last edited by Immobiliare; 08/13/11 11:14 AM.
Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: Immobiliare] #610939
08/13/11 06:01 PM
08/13/11 06:01 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
"Michael Corleone says hello," triggered the onetime longest-running controversy on this board: Did Roth arrange for Pentangeli to be rescued by that cop at the last moment so Frankie could get up enough of a grudge against Michael to make him break omerta at the Senate hearing?

Somewhere in the GF literature, there's a reference that Danny Aiello ad-libbed "Michael Corleone says hello." If so, why did FFC allow it to remain in the script, especially since it is (or should be) obvious that Roth did want Frankie dead, not rescued?

My guess is that the remark was intended not for Frankie, but for Richie the bartender. Richie is obviously a civilian and he's nervous as hell about what's happening ("Carmine, no-o-o-o!!"). When the police found Frankie's body, they'd try to squeeze Richie for info. And, as a civilian, Richie might squeal. So, Tony Rosato helped him with that line. If grilled by the cops, Richie could say, "I dunno the guys who did it, but one of them said, 'Michael Corleone says hello.'" Bingo! The cops would turn their attention to Michael, never suspecting that Roth was behind it.

When I first saw the film in the movie theater, I had no idea who was behind the Tahoe shooting. But, after seeing that Michael figured out it was Roth, I thought it was clear: Frankie was too obviously set up as the patsy. And, in a deleted scene, we see Frankie acting lovingly and paternally toward Anthony, and slipping him a C-note. Not the kind of guy to try to assassinate his father.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: Immobiliare] #610943
08/13/11 06:06 PM
08/13/11 06:06 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
I think its possible that roth told the rosatos one things a planned something else. Like He told them to kill Frankie but he wanted frankie alive so he could testify against mike

Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: Immobiliare] #610945
08/13/11 06:08 PM
08/13/11 06:08 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I sort of wish FFC hadn't left that line in but I thought that it could be interpreted either as TB suggests or a final sadistic taunt to the dying Pentageli that his boss had betrayed him-sort of like a Roman centurion telling a Christian thrown to the lions "Where is your God now?".

Or Roth could simply have lied to the Rosatos and told them that Michael gave permission..

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: Immobiliare] #610947
08/13/11 06:13 PM
08/13/11 06:13 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
Wow, I always took it as a given that Roth planned for Frank to be rescued so he would testify against Micheal, though I did question how the plan played out so perfectly for him. What would Roth have gained by killing Frank?

Your theory about the bartender is brilliant TB but would a bartenders testimony be enough to have sent Micheal away?

Last edited by Immobiliare; 08/13/11 06:17 PM.
Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: Immobiliare] #610957
08/13/11 06:37 PM
08/13/11 06:37 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

Perhaps these very insightful posts from the past will answer your question:

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Originally Posted By: stracci
I'm assuming Roth set this up in order for Frankie to feel betrayed by Michael.

I would like to put this to rest, once and for all:

Roth's plan was to lure Michael to Havana, get teh $2 million from him, and have him assassinated on his way home from the Presidential palace. So, according to Roth's plan, Michael would be dead before dawn on Jan. 1, 1959. The attempted killing of Frankie occurred days earlier. Why would Roth engage in an incredibly complex, incredibly risky, split-second-timed plot to have Frankie brought within seconds of death, and then have him rescued? So that he could testify against Michael at a Senate hearing months later, when, according to Roth's plan, Michael would already be long dead?

And, just suppose Roth did plan the cop's entry? How would he do it? Call a police lieutenant in the local precinct and say, "Hello, Shultz? Listen, I want you to send a cop to Richie's bar on Tuesday at 3:29 p.m. and 28 seconds...not 3:28, not 3:29 and 10 seconds, not 3:29 and 40 seconds--I want him there at 3:29 and 28 seconds. Got that? Good, let's synchronize watches..."

Years ago, someone here surfaced an early script treatment in which Roth was supposed to have engineered Frankie's rescue. It was never filmed that way. We can understand why: It's too far-fetched.

It was an ad-lib by Danny Aiello, and it made no sense, given that the Rosatos indended Frankie to be dead. So why did FFC leave it in? IMO, the line was not intended for Frankie, but for Richie, the bartender, whose ginmill was being used to set up Frankie:

It’s obvious that Richie is a “civilian,” not a Made Man, and he’s nervous as hell about his bar being used for a murder (“Carmine, NO, not HERE!” he screams at Tony’s brother (played by Carmine Caridi) after the cop enters and Carmine draws his gun). The Rosatos know that Richie might be squeezed by the cops investigating Frankie’s murder. Richie would be too fearful of the Rosatos to identify them as the killers. Still, as a civilian, Richie is not bound by the code of omerta. So they hand Richie something he can give the cops so that Richie can get off the hook: “The murderers said, ‘Michael Corleone says hello.’ ” That line would set the police after Michael, and would be picked up by the press-- another nail into the coffin of Michael Corleone’s “legitimacy.” Clever Roth!

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: Immobiliare] #610961
08/13/11 06:53 PM
08/13/11 06:53 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
Thanks, those posts are a great help.

Another question...

Are we assuming that Roth gave the go-ahead for Frank to be murdered or that the Rosato's took it upon themselves?

Also, Roth didn't really need/want the 2 million from Mike did he?

Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: Immobiliare] #610962
08/13/11 06:56 PM
08/13/11 06:56 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I agree with most of what is posted above. But I always wondered why a NY beat policeman would not recognize a Mafioso from his neighborhood.

Last edited by olivant; 08/14/11 12:42 PM.

Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: Immobiliare] #610968
08/13/11 09:17 PM
08/13/11 09:17 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Another question...

Are we assuming that Roth gave the go-ahead for Frank to be murdered or that the Rosato's took it upon themselves?

I believe Roth gave them the go-ahead. Roth probably told them he'd use his relationship with Michael to resolve the issue. So, they waited on his go-ahead. No doubt they heard about the Tahoe shooting. So, Roth must have told them: "Pentangeli tried to kill Michael. He failed. He gave me the go-ahead for you to whack him. Michael even conned him into meeting with you..."
BTW: What was in it for Roth? Had the Tahoe shooting succeeded, Frankie would have been on the run. The Rosatos would take over the olive oil business as Roth's allies, maybe even give him a cut of their take.

Quote:

No, he didn't--and very insightful of you to spot that, Immobiliare. smile

Michael had been encroaching on Roth's gaming empire since returning from Sicily, even whacking Roth's best friend, Moe Green. Roth’s goal was to eliminate Michael. His strategy was to play on Michael’s obsession with becoming legitimate by pretending that Michael was his heir-apparent. Roth doled out bits and pieces of his empire to Michael, all the while buying time for an opportunity to have him killed. Roth’s strategy was succeeding.

The Havana deal would make Michael king of legalized gambling in the Western Hemisphere. Roth had tantalized Michael with the promise of his crown jewel prior to the Tahoe shooting. I’m guessing that Roth also told Michael, before the shooting, that he’d have to make a big payoff to Batista, the Cuban dictator. He may have mentioned $2 million, or he may not have put a price on it. At that point, getting the money wasn’t Roth’s primary goal. His goal was to buy time for an opportunity to whack Michael. The money for bribing Batista was a means for Roth to add credibility to his Havana-deal fiction: Michael would expect that a big bribe would be needed for him to get Batista’s permission.

Anthony’s party provided Roth with his golden opportunity to have Michael whacked, and to have the finger pointing at Pentangeli. Roth would have to forego the $2 million—but,so what? $2 million was a small price to forego to simultaneously get rid of Michael and Frankie, and put his own guys in charge of New York. Only after that plot failed did the $2 million become important to Roth. I'm guessing Roth needed the $2 million to pay off Batista to have his thugs kill Michael. Nice touch: Michael pays for his own assassination.

Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: Immobiliare] #610986
08/14/11 01:35 AM
08/14/11 01:35 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Just a note that in the novel Fabrizio is told "Michael Corleone sends his regards," just before he is killed. It seems likely to me that this is the source of the line, which couldn't be applied in the movie because of the way Fabrizio died. Maybe Aiello tweaked a few words, but I doubt it was truly his ad lib.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: mustachepete] #611019
08/14/11 12:38 PM
08/14/11 12:38 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Yes, and I never understood why Puzo put that line in the novel. Why would Michael allow some low-level assassin to know that he was behind the killing?

Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: Turnbull] #611020
08/14/11 12:45 PM
08/14/11 12:45 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
God, all the rewrites we could suggest. Has anyone ever proposed rewriting the GF and, but also taking it through GFII and explaining all of the relationships among the characters? I've never read any of the GF related books that some Board members cite, so I don't know if that's already been done.

Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: olivant] #611023
08/14/11 12:55 PM
08/14/11 12:55 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
I would prefer a fanedit to the trilogy tying up loose ends and plot holes. Has that ever been done? Wouldn't be hard with access to all the deleted scenes.

Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: Turnbull] #611130
08/15/11 02:08 PM
08/15/11 02:08 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
Another question...

I believe Roth gave them the go-ahead. Roth probably told them he'd use his relationship with Michael to resolve the issue. So, they waited on his go-ahead. No doubt they heard about the Tahoe shooting. So, Roth must have told them: "Pentangeli tried to kill Michael. He failed. He gave me the go-ahead for you to whack him. Michael even conned him into meeting with you..."
BTW: What was in it for Roth? Had the Tahoe shooting succeeded, Frankie would have been on the run. The Rosatos would take over the olive oil business as Roth's allies, maybe even give him a cut of their take.

Quote:

No, he didn't--and very insightful of you to spot that, Immobiliare. smile

Michael had been encroaching on Roth's gaming empire since returning from Sicily, even whacking Roth's best friend, Moe Green. Roth’s goal was to eliminate Michael. His strategy was to play on Michael’s obsession with becoming legitimate by pretending that Michael was his heir-apparent. Roth doled out bits and pieces of his empire to Michael, all the while buying time for an opportunity to have him killed. Roth’s strategy was succeeding.

The Havana deal would make Michael king of legalized gambling in the Western Hemisphere. Roth had tantalized Michael with the promise of his crown jewel prior to the Tahoe shooting. I’m guessing that Roth also told Michael, before the shooting, that he’d have to make a big payoff to Batista, the Cuban dictator. He may have mentioned $2 million, or he may not have put a price on it. At that point, getting the money wasn’t Roth’s primary goal. His goal was to buy time for an opportunity to whack Michael. The money for bribing Batista was a means for Roth to add credibility to his Havana-deal fiction: Michael would expect that a big bribe would be needed for him to get Batista’s permission.

Anthony’s party provided Roth with his golden opportunity to have Michael whacked, and to have the finger pointing at Pentangeli. Roth would have to forego the $2 million—but,so what? $2 million was a small price to forego to simultaneously get rid of Michael and Frankie, and put his own guys in charge of New York. Only after that plot failed did the $2 million become important to Roth. I'm guessing Roth needed the $2 million to pay off Batista to have his thugs kill Michael. Nice touch: Michael pays for his own assassination.

Thanks, this really answered my questions!

Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: BarrettM] #613334
09/02/11 05:43 AM
09/02/11 05:43 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: BarrettM
I would prefer a fanedit to the trilogy tying up loose ends and plot holes. Has that ever been done? Wouldn't be hard with access to all the deleted scenes.

What a great idea! If I had a say in that edit, I'd let Michael's twin nieces sneak into his bedroom and open the drapes, which would clarify everything wink

Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: Immobiliare] #617048
10/10/11 02:12 PM
10/10/11 02:12 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
I am sure someone has thought of this before -- but I never see it discussed. The Aiello line was crucial to the plot because it made Franky think that it WAS Michael, and that is why he testified against him.

Say there is no "Michael Corleone says hello". Does he still think that it's Mike? Does he testify against him?

Last edited by DeathByClotheshanger; 10/10/11 02:13 PM.
Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #617060
10/10/11 04:53 PM
10/10/11 04:53 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger
I am sure someone has thought of this before -- but I never see it discussed. The Aiello line was crucial to the plot because it made Franky think that it WAS Michael, and that is why he testified against him.

Say there is no "Michael Corleone says hello". Does he still think that it's Mike? Does he testify against him?

Even if there is no "Michael Corleone says hello," Frankie still may have turned on Michael. After all, Michael insisted that Frankie go to the meeting, which turned out to be an ambush.

Unless, they intended Frankie to live - which some on these boards believe but I think is incredibly implausible - there's no reason to make that comment, except, as you point out, as a plot point. But that's far too clumsy for FFC (at least until GFIII).

Personally, I think it's a remnant of a discarded plotline, a la Questedt in Cuba.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #617068
10/10/11 06:05 PM
10/10/11 06:05 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Yes, it has been one of the Board's major discussion topics over the years.

Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: olivant] #617173
10/11/11 12:51 PM
10/11/11 12:51 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel

Yes, and for once and for all, it was Manolo who opened the drapes, and Manolo who (using his skills as a ventriloquist) said "Michael Corleone says hello."

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: dontomasso] #617183
10/11/11 01:29 PM
10/11/11 01:29 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Yes, and for once and for all, it was Manolo who opened the drapes, and Manolo who (using his skills as a ventriloquist) said "Michael Corleone says hello."

At last, at last! Confirmation.

Re: Frank gets garotted [Re: Immobiliare] #617290
10/12/11 06:29 AM
10/12/11 06:29 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
I believe it was the daughter of Sonny who got NOT engaged that day.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull