GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (chin_gigante), 291 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,323
Posts1,058,597
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vito and Michael cutting Tom out #610665
08/12/11 12:28 PM
08/12/11 12:28 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline OP
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
Were their objectives the same or better yet were their expectations of Hagen? Somehow I don't think that Vito wanted Michael to be as cold to Hagen as Michael ended up being.

Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: dontommasino] #610670
08/12/11 12:45 PM
08/12/11 12:45 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

It was Michael who wanted Tom out because he wasn't a wartime consigliere. Interestingly when Michael tells Kay about Tom for the first time he tells her that he thinks he's in line to be consigliere, and explains what that means. Even then he tempers his enthusiasm by saying he's a "good lawyer" ..... not a Sicilian. IMHO there's a difference between someone who is a "good lawyer" and a consigliere in Michael's mind.

Vito never moved Tom out. He had turned the family business over to Michael when Tom was pushed aside as consigliere. Vito even consoled Tom, telling him, "I never thought you were a bad consigliere, I thought Santino was a bad Don, rest in peace."

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: dontommasino] #610671
08/12/11 12:46 PM
08/12/11 12:46 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: dontommasino
Were their objectives the same or better yet were their expectations of Hagen? Somehow I don't think that Vito wanted Michael to be as cold to Hagen as Michael ended up being.

As I opined in other posts, Michael had Vito's intelligence, but little of Vito's familial empathy and sympathy. Vito definitely did what he did (as horrible as some of those things were) for his family. Michael ostensibly did things for his family, but only for his own aggrandizement. He used his family.

Michael never forgave Tom for Sonny's death. Even before that, he was jealous of Tom's brother relationship with Sonny. Vito agreed to cut Tom out of the massacre because if Tom's participation was discovered, that would break the peace. Also, I think that Vito recognized that Tom did not have the skills of a wartime consigliere. That was true.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: dontomasso] #610693
08/12/11 02:53 PM
08/12/11 02:53 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Vito never moved Tom out. He had turned the family business over to Michael when Tom was pushed aside as consigliere. Vito even consoled Tom, telling him, "I never thought you were a bad consigliere, I thought Santino was a bad Don, rest in peace."

I disagree. Vito does console Tom, but only after saying "I advise Michael." This indicates to me that Vito was on board with Tom's demotion, and maybe even initiated it.

As to why, I believe that Vito, anticipating Sonny being his successor, groomed Tom to be overly conciliatory to balance Sonny's hot-headedness.

Michael, both cool-headed and ruthless, did not need a counter-veiling force like Tom. Also, Vito may not have anticipated how threatened his Family would become. Tom was not suited for such a death struggle, as was clear to Michael and Vito.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: olivant] #610730
08/12/11 09:39 PM
08/12/11 09:39 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: olivant
Michael never forgave Tom for Sonny's death.

Did Michael really blame Tom for Sonny's death? Is this stated somewhere in the novel or film? I can't remember.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: The Last Woltz] #610731
08/12/11 09:43 PM
08/12/11 09:43 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz
Michael, both cool-headed and ruthless, did not need a counter-veiling force like Tom. Also, Vito may not have anticipated how threatened his Family would become. Tom was not suited for such a death struggle, as was clear to Michael and Vito.

I think towards the end of Part II, Tom was also pretty expandable for Mike. They really could have made something of this in Part III. It's a shame that Duvall was absent, I can't say this enough.

Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: olivant] #610770
08/13/11 05:23 AM
08/13/11 05:23 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: olivant
Original geschrieben von: dontommasino
Vito definitely did what he did (as horrible as some of those things were) for his family. Michael ostensibly did things for his family, but only for his own aggrandizement. He used his family.

When Michael kills Sollozzo an McClusky, he doesn't do it for any egoistic reasons, he's taking the risk for his family's sake.
And I think that in his mind even the killing of Fredo was for the sake of the family.

Antwort auf:
Michael never forgave Tom for Sonny's death. Even before that, he was jealous of Tom's brother relationship with Sonny.
I don't see any evidence for that. Michael doesn't seem like a jealous guy to me.

Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: Danito] #610782
08/13/11 11:00 AM
08/13/11 11:00 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Read the novel.

Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: olivant] #613333
09/02/11 05:29 AM
09/02/11 05:29 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: olivant
Read the novel.

Right. The novel says: "Michael realized with a faint twinge of jealousy that in many ways Sonny and Tom Hagen were closer than he himself could ever be to his own brother."

But I didn't read that in a way that Michael put the blame for Sonny's death on Tom. In fact, what else could Tom have done to stop Sonny, except for sending to bodyguards after him?

Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: dontomasso] #613398
09/02/11 11:07 PM
09/02/11 11:07 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
It was Michael who wanted Tom out because he wasn't a wartime consigliere. Vito never moved Tom out. He had turned the family business over to Michael when Tom was pushed aside as consigliere. Vito even consoled Tom, telling him, "I never thought you were a bad consigliere, I thought Santino was a bad Don, rest in peace."

Exactly. Vito had turned the family over to Michael, lock, stock and barrel. The novel even has Michael saying (in the context of the overall plan to massacre the other Dons, "If you interfere now, I will go my own way" (paraphrasing).
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
I think towards the end of Part II, Tom was also pretty expandable for Mike. They really could have made something of this in Part III. It's a shame that Duvall was absent, I can't say this enough.

Nor I. frown

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: dontommasino] #613700
09/05/11 10:28 PM
09/05/11 10:28 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well, there is no other reason for Michael to have treated Tom as he did other Tom's failure to protect the family. If there is another reason, what is it? And, no, it wasn't because Michael wanted to be in absolute control (I've never bought that control characteristic that so many Board members accrue to Micahel). Michael was needlessly hostile to Tom.

Last edited by olivant; 09/05/11 10:29 PM.

Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: olivant] #613755
09/06/11 12:52 PM
09/06/11 12:52 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Michael's hostility to Tom arose from a kind of sibling rivalry. His resentment was shown as early in time as the
attack on Pearl Harbor (which was 5 years before The Godfther). When Tom tells Michael that his father had pulled strings to keep him out of the military, Michael is seething, then when Tom says something about how he and Vito had big plans for him Michael says "You discuss My future with MY father." It is not so much a question or an observation but an objection that Tom had the right to talk to Vito about him.

Michael's hostility played right into Tom's yearning tobe thought of as a "real brother, " so Michael killed two birds with one stone........three really, because this kept Tom under Michael's thumb, which was necessary because other than Michael Tom knoe more about the family business than anyone.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: dontomasso] #613761
09/06/11 01:21 PM
09/06/11 01:21 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Yes, resentment on top of which, as Michael perceived him, his ineptitude. In that regard, I keep forgetting that Vito's near murder took place on Tom's watch. That only added fuel to the fire of Michael's resentment.

Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: dontommasino] #613770
09/06/11 02:46 PM
09/06/11 02:46 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Agreed with both. But I think Michael's tendency for control is beyond questioning.

Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: Sonny_Black] #613959
09/08/11 01:29 PM
09/08/11 01:29 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline
I
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Agreed with both. But I think Michael's tendency for control is beyond questioning.

Agreed.

Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: dontommasino] #613963
09/08/11 01:41 PM
09/08/11 01:41 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
If I could edit that scene in the movie I would shoot Tom in the head and throw him threw the glass window off the balcony and let his corpse rot there for all the dogs to eat for a week

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: olivant] #613966
09/08/11 02:30 PM
09/08/11 02:30 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Yes, resentment on top of which, as Michael perceived him, his ineptitude. In that regard, I keep forgetting that Vito's near murder took place on Tom's watch. That only added fuel to the fire of Michael's resentment.

Tom was not responsible for Vito's safety, Clemenza was. He hired Paulie.

Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: dontomasso] #614016
09/08/11 09:38 PM
09/08/11 09:38 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Now DT, you know very well that one responsibility of a consigliere is to anticipate threats to the family. Tom did not due that regarding the attack on Vito or Sonny's murder. Thus, Michael's resentment.

Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: olivant] #614043
09/09/11 11:35 AM
09/09/11 11:35 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Now DT, you know very well that one responsibility of a consigliere is to anticipate threats to the family. Tom did not due that regarding the attack on Vito or Sonny's murder. Thus, Michael's resentment.

How was Tom supposed to stop Sonny? By the time he got outside, Sonny was already gnning the car as Tom yelled at him to stop. All he could do was send the bodyguards who got there too late.

As for Vito, I guess you could argue that Tom underesitmated Sollozzo in that he didn't see Sol was backed up by Barzini and not Tatt. But Vito missed that too. No one saw this coming, and I don't think Genco would have eithr.

Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: dontommasino] #614078
09/09/11 05:13 PM
09/09/11 05:13 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
A consigliere's responsibility is to anticipate scenarios that threaten the family. It is not to wait until a threat scenario arises and only then to physically intervene.

When discussing Sonny's murder during the past year, someone posted that Tom should have anticipated Sonny's potential reactions by by arranging with Connie to have her contact him and only him when something went wrong in the Rizzi household. That's one way that Tom could have fulfilled his consigliere responsibilities.

Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: dontommasino] #614087
09/09/11 06:31 PM
09/09/11 06:31 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Another more devious (and more realistic?) manner of dealing with Carlo would have been for Tom to arrange on his own for Carlo to have an accident-that could not be sourced back to the Family. He never would have talked about it but if it ever came up he would have mentioned something about what a bad husband Carlo was.

If Tom didn't want to go that far he could have arranged for people to keep an eye on Carlo. The Barzini connection would have been discovered earlier.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: Lilo] #614090
09/09/11 07:16 PM
09/09/11 07:16 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Exactly. A consigliere always has his eyes forward.

Re: Vito and Michael cutting Tom out [Re: dontommasino] #614762
09/16/11 03:10 AM
09/16/11 03:10 AM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
They should of told tom to fix some drinks and shoot him in the back of the head

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull