GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 327 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,611
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,092
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,378
Posts1,059,590
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
"It's because I admire you... #610659
08/12/11 12:06 PM
08/12/11 12:06 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
...and love you, that I kept things a secret from you"

What do you think Micheal means when he says this to Tom? Did he keep Tom in the dark to protect him or protect the family business?

Opinions?

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: Immobiliare] #610660
08/12/11 12:09 PM
08/12/11 12:09 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
Please refresh my memory on the context of the line.

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: dontommasino] #610662
08/12/11 12:22 PM
08/12/11 12:22 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
Originally Posted By: dontommasino

Sorry, yes.

Its right after the attempt on Micheal's life when Tom goes in to see him.

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: Immobiliare] #610664
08/12/11 12:26 PM
08/12/11 12:26 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted By: Immobiliare
Originally Posted By: dontommasino

Sorry, yes.

Its right after the attempt on Micheal's life when Tom goes in to see him.

Thanks, I think it's Michael at his manipulative best personally, but is consistent with the reasons that Vito and Michael gave him in the first film.

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: Immobiliare] #610673
08/12/11 12:48 PM
08/12/11 12:48 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel

What do you think Micheal means when he says this to Tom? Did he keep Tom in the dark to protect him or protect the family business?

Opinions?

He kept Tom in the dark because he never considered Tom to be his consigliere. He used Tom, and told Tom what he though Tom needed to know. When he "turns everything over" to Tom, he needs Tom to believe all that stuff about how Michael admires him and thinks of him as a "real brother." This was just Michael being manipulative.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: dontomasso] #610675
08/12/11 12:57 PM
08/12/11 12:57 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Opinions?

He kept Tom in the dark because he never considered Tom to be his consigliere. He used Tom, and told Tom what he though Tom needed to know. When he "turns everything over" to Tom, he needs Tom to believe all that stuff about how Michael admires him and thinks of him as a "real brother." This was just Michael being manipulative.

It always surprises me how much disregard people tend to think Micheal has for Tom - I just don't believe it to the same extent.

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: Immobiliare] #610682
08/12/11 01:14 PM
08/12/11 01:14 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

It always surprises me how much disregard people tend to think Micheal has for Tom - I just don't believe it to the same extent.

I posted in another thread two things about Michael's disposition toward Tom: 1) Michael was jealous about the brother relationship between Sonny and Tom; 2) Michael never forgave Tom for the attack on Vito, Sonny's death, and Tom's overall failure to protect the Corleones.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: Immobiliare] #610683
08/12/11 01:42 PM
08/12/11 01:42 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
I agree with people saying that that line was just Mike being manipulative just so he could get Tom to do what he wanted. By GF II mike was showing signs of having psychopathic traits so he really didn't seem to care about anyone. However he would manipulate people by telling them what they wanted to hear. Tom has always wanted to be considered a real brother so Mike used that to his advantage

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: JCrusher] #610685
08/12/11 01:54 PM
08/12/11 01:54 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Exactly.

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: Immobiliare] #610695
08/12/11 04:49 PM
08/12/11 04:49 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
And there was me thinking it was a touching scene between two 'brothers'.

Micheal's jealousy towards Tom and him blaming Tom for Sonny's death: is there any particular evidence for this or is it what you have inferred?

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: Immobiliare] #610704
08/12/11 05:43 PM
08/12/11 05:43 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

Micheal's jealousy towards Tom and him blaming Tom for Sonny's death: is there any particular evidence for this or is it what you have inferred?

Just about all of our analyses of Trilogy content is based on inference. The novel supplies alot of explanatory information that the films do not. For example, the novel states that when Tom was released by Sollozzo and returned to the mall, Michael noticed how warmly Sonny embraced Tom. Of course, "You're not a wartime consigliere" speaks volumes.

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: Immobiliare] #610706
08/12/11 06:07 PM
08/12/11 06:07 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
I agree olivant. Lets face it Sonny and Tom had a better relationship than mike did was tom. Sonny was hot headed and got mad at tom a lot but he would always apologize and treat him like a brother. Mike on the otherhand was pretty evil not just to tom but everyone else.

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: olivant] #610709
08/12/11 06:21 PM
08/12/11 06:21 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
Originally Posted By: olivant

Just about all of our analyses of Trilogy content is based on inference. The novel supplies alot of explanatory information that the films do not. For example, the novel states that when Tom was released by Sollozzo and returned to the mall, Michael noticed how warmly Sonny embraced Tom. Of course, "You're not a wartime consigliere" speaks volumes.

Wasn't Sonny the first to mention to Tom that he wasn't 'a wartime consigliere'?

It seems as though 'you're not a wartime consigliere' was a thought shared by all the Corleones and, for me, provided enough justiciation for Micheal's decision to displace Tom from the role. I didn't feel the need to read any further into Micheal's decision and infer that Micheal had some agenda against Tom. Vito saying that 'he advised Micheal' also strengthened this view as it shows that it wasn't Micheal alone who made the decision.

Was Micheal surprised that Sonny embraced Tom so warmly? They were like brothers and Vito had treated Tom as part of the family so of course Sonny was relived that he was back safe and sound.

Like you said, everything is inference but I really don't want to think that Micheal was resentful of Tom's relationship with Micheal. Micheal blaming Tom to some extent for Sonny's death is some way in line with what I think Micheals character is like but, some bitter jealousy towards close family members is not, atleast not in part I.

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: Immobiliare] #610723
08/12/11 08:27 PM
08/12/11 08:27 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
The wartime consigliere statement by Sonny was said while Michael was in Sicily. Michael's conclusion about Tom's wartime consigliere skills was based on his failure to protect the family resulting in Sonny's death. And Vito to Tom: "For reasons which you can't know, you must have no part in what mayhappen."

"Michael realized with a faint twinge of jealousy that in many ways Sonny and Tom Hagen were closer than he himself could ever be to hs own brother."

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: olivant] #610752
08/13/11 12:20 AM
08/13/11 12:20 AM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
The wartime consigliere statement by Sonny was said while Michael was in Sicily. Michael's conclusion about Tom's wartime consigliere skills was based on his failure to protect the family resulting in Sonny's death. And Vito to Tom: "For reasons which you can't know, you must have no part in what mayhappen."

"Michael realized with a faint twinge of jealousy that in many ways Sonny and Tom Hagen were closer than he himself could ever be to hs own brother."

Tom wasn't a sicilian. Vito, Sonny and Micheal knew he wasn't a wartime consigliere and, given the circumstances they were in, to remove him from his position was entirely the right business decision. I don't think, therefore,that it suggested as much animosity or disregard from Micheal towards Tom as people make out.

The quote you provided does suggest some mild jealousy, though jealousy will not neccessarily manifest itself in a resentful manner. That said, there are instances in the film that do seem to portray a few edgy moments between them, but this is mainly in part II when Micheal's at the height of his paranoia. Overall, I'm not sure if I'm convinced enough by the whole 'Micheal resents Tom' movement to dismiss the conversation mentioned in the thread title to be 'Mike being manipulative'. Theres some genuine sincerity in his words.

I certainly, from the film, can't see enough evidence to say 'Micheal never forgave Tom for Sonny's death'. Are there parts in the novel that perhaps further that theory?

Last edited by Immobiliare; 08/13/11 12:21 AM.
Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: Immobiliare] #610800
08/13/11 12:41 PM
08/13/11 12:41 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
To me it doesn't really matter if he resents tom or not for Sonny's murder. Tha fact is that when he says to tom admires him and all that other garbage he probably doesn't mean it he is just trying to put tom at ease and do what he wants him to do

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: JCrusher] #610802
08/13/11 12:48 PM
08/13/11 12:48 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
Originally Posted By: JCrusher
To me it doesn't really matter if he resents tom or not for Sonny's murder. Tha fact is that when he says to tom admires him and all that other garbage he probably doesn't mean it he is just trying to put tom at ease and do what he wants him to do

And what was that exactly?

I'm not sure it was 'garbage' - "I'm trusting you with the lives of my wife and my children".

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: Immobiliare] #610803
08/13/11 12:52 PM
08/13/11 12:52 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
It was Mike being manipulative. I'm sorry i don't agree with the theory that Mike really loved Tom. Mike treated Tom like shit for the most part. Even before Mike became the evil psychopath he was in Part 2 he was never really close to tom

Last edited by JCrusher; 08/13/11 12:52 PM.
Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: JCrusher] #610804
08/13/11 12:53 PM
08/13/11 12:53 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
It was Mike being manipulative. I'm sorry i don't agree with the theory that Mike really loved Tom. Mike treated Tom like shit for the most part. Even before Mike became the evil psychopath he was in Part 2 he was never really close to tom

Manipulative to achieve what ends?

Fair enough if thats your opinion.

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: Immobiliare] #610805
08/13/11 12:59 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Hey man you are right. Mike was a sweetheart. Tom was lucky to have someone like him as a brother. I mean verbally abusing him in front of Neri/Rocco was just a way to show his love. Murdering family members and women was also very noble of Mike. Glad I got that straight now lol

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: JCrusher] #610806
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss

You're born a psychopath, you can't become one, unless you incur brain damage due to an accident. It's obvious you don't like the Michael Corleone character, and you've every right to do so, but calling him a psychopath without even knowing much about it is plain ignorance.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: Sonny_Black] #610807
08/13/11 01:03 PM
08/13/11 01:03 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

You're born a psychopath, you can't become one, unless you incur brain damage due to an accident. It's obvious you don't like the Michael Corleone character, and you've every right to do so, but calling him a psychopath without even knowing much about it is plain ignorance.

Thanks man very polite of you. Believe it or not i know about the term psychopath. I was just using it as an expression. I know I'm not as smart as you Sonny Black but I'm not the idiot you think I am

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: JCrusher] #610809
08/13/11 01:09 PM
08/13/11 01:09 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Thanks man very polite of you. Believe it or not i know about the term psychopath. I was just using it as an expression. I know I'm not as smart as you Sonny Black but I'm not the idiot you think I am

I don't think you're an idiot at all and I've never said it. I respect you're opinion and I think Michael being a psychopath is up for debate. I can't rule it out myself. But if Michael was a psychopath, he already was one at the beginning of Part I. He did show to have the ability to have remorse, so I'm sceptic about calling him a psychopath.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: Sonny_Black] #610810
08/13/11 01:12 PM
08/13/11 01:12 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

I don't think you're an idiot at all and I've never said it. I respect you're opinion and I think Michael being a psychopath is up for debate. I can't rule it out myself. But if Michael was a psychopath, he already was one at the beginning of Part I. He did show to have the ability to have remorse, so I'm sceptic about calling him a psychopath.

I understand. I just think using that word whether its true or not is not that big of a deal considering the evil acts the character committed

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: JCrusher] #610811
08/13/11 01:13 PM
08/13/11 01:13 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
Hey man you are right. Mike was a sweetheart. Tom was lucky to have someone like him as a brother. I mean verbally abusing him in front of Neri/Rocco was just a way to show his love. Murdering family members and women was also very noble of Mike. Glad I got that straight now lol

'Verbally abusing'?!? Lol, talk about an over-reaction, you should hear the way me and my brother talk to each other sometimes!

You don't seem to understand that the characters from the film are extremely complex. Micheal may well be a murderer but dosn't mean he can't love his family/friends. Vito was also a murderer, did he not love his children? He chided or 'verbally-abused' Sonny in front of Sol, does that mean he hated him?

Last edited by Immobiliare; 08/13/11 01:15 PM.
Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: JCrusher] #610812
08/13/11 01:15 PM
08/13/11 01:15 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

Whether Micahel was, technically speaking, a psychopath or not, as you've stated Crush, Michael's behavior gave every indication that he was pretty dang close to being one. While it made sense for Vito to keep Tom out of the massacre scenario, and, as many have concluded, Tom wasn't a wartime Consigliere, there was no reason for Mike to only trust Tom with "certain areas of the family business" as he told Ola. Tom had faciliated murder and mayhem perpetrated at the orders of both Vito and Michael. His loyalty was beyond reproach. No, there was something else which aliented Michael from Tom. Sibling jealousy and Sonny's murder certainly come to mind. That's whyit's important to not only view the films, but to read the novel.

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: Immobiliare] #610813
08/13/11 01:17 PM
08/13/11 01:17 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Hey man i never said that vito or Sonny were innocent of anything. They were both murderers. But even you gotta admit that they treated family better than Mike did. I mean Vito or Sonny would have never killed Fredo. they might have gave him a beating but they knew killing him went way too far. Also they might have agreed that Tom wasn't a wartime consigliere but they still valued his imput and treated him better than Mike did. i mean I think I'm being pretty honest when it comes to that.

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: olivant] #610815
08/13/11 01:20 PM
08/13/11 01:20 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member

Whether Micahel was, technically speaking, a psychopath or not, as you've stated Crush, Michael's behavior gave every indication that he was pretty dang close to being one. While it made sense for Vito to keep Tom out of the massacre scenario, and, as many have concluded, Tom wasn't a wartime Consigliere, there was no reason for Mike to only trust Tom with "certain areas of the family business" as he told Ola. Tom had faciliated murder and mayhem perpetrated at the orders of both Vito and Michael. His loyalty was beyond reproach. No, there was something else which aliented Michael from Tom. Sibling jealousy and Sonny's murder certainly come to mind. That's whyit's important to not only view the films, but to read the novel.

Matter of opinion, I think the decision was the right one.

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: Immobiliare] #610817
08/13/11 01:25 PM
08/13/11 01:25 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
It's ironic because since roth basically outsmarted Mike throughout the whole movie he needed Tom to bail him out by convincing Frank to kill himself so Mike wouldn't be indicted again

Re: "It's because I admire you... [Re: JCrusher] #610820
08/13/11 01:27 PM
08/13/11 01:27 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Hey man i never said that vito or Sonny were innocent of anything. They were both murderers. But even you gotta admit that they treated family better than Mike did. I mean Vito or Sonny would have never killed Fredo. they might have gave him a beating but they knew killing him went way too far. Also they might have agreed that Tom wasn't a wartime consigliere but they still valued his imput and treated him better than Mike did. i mean I think I'm being pretty honest when it comes to that.

Yes. As Vito states in the novel (paraphrase): there are some things that a man just can't bring himself to do. Maybe that's why I've turned things over to you. Vito could never murder his son? He could never even conceive of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull