GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (ChiTown, RushStreet, 1 invisible), 203 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,817
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,405
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,529
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,428
Posts1,060,767
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What Does Sollozzo Mean? #38402
04/28/06 12:08 PM
04/28/06 12:08 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

In the scene with Sollozzo and Hagen where Solozzo thinks Vito Corleone was dead, he makes a comment that the Don was "slipping" and that five or ten years ago he (Sollozzo) couldn't have gotten to him.

What I think he means is that someone as low on the food chain would never have been allowed to assassinate Corleone with the blessing of the other families, but I am not so sure. If all the families had lined up on some issue or another wouldnt they have been able to take Corleone out if he was the only obstacle?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: What Does Sollozzo Mean? #38403
04/28/06 06:07 PM
04/28/06 06:07 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
DT, that's an excellent viewpoint. Mine was simpler: that they had overlooked Paulie being sick and Fredo was not truly up to the task of bodyguard. That, a few years before the shooting, the Don wouldn't have been so relaxed about security. But your POV scratches below the surface and is more interesting.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: What Does Sollozzo Mean? #38404
04/28/06 07:26 PM
04/28/06 07:26 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I think you're right Babe. He meant that the Don had relaxed to the point where he did not see potential threats to him and his family. Also, in the novel even Tom makes the point that he thinks the Don is wrong about not accepting the drug deal.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: What Does Sollozzo Mean? #38405
04/28/06 07:44 PM
04/28/06 07:44 PM
Chicago
BarrytheBull Offline
Made Member
BarrytheBull  Offline
Made Member
Chicago
Very good points......I personally think he meant that the Don might be a little nervous about Sollozo going with another family and the Don losing some clout. If Don Vito was very secure with this drug dealer getting to the other families, and making them business partners, he would not have had that meeting, but Tom and Don Vito were a little worried that this guy might make the other families stronger, he wasn't as confident as he was as a young man.....remember Don Vito told Solozzo "I said I would meet with you, cause I heard you are a serious man to be treated with respect..." I think that was exactly what he said.....but none the less, there are a lot of reasons for what Solozzo meant by saying what he said.
But what do I know......LOL
I will be interested to hear what everyone else thinks....

The Bull!!!

"...you straightened my brother out??"

"Give him a living, but never discuss the family business in front of him."
Re: What Does Sollozzo Mean? #38406
04/30/06 02:18 AM
04/30/06 02:18 AM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
"Could I have gotten to him ten years ago?" I used to think it referred to the hit on Vito. Now I firmly believe it refers to the actual meeting itself.

And the answer is a resounding No. Ten years ago, with Genco as consigliere, it never would have gotten as far as an actual meeting.

The other families were going into (or approved of) the drug trade and they made that decision BEFORE they approached the Corleones and without their consultation. Tom didn't recognize that. I don't know if Vito understood it either. "Face it...the don is slipping..."

If you read the novel, the characteristic most ascribed to Genco, and woefully lacking in Tom, is the cunning of a Sicilian. I think Genco would have understood the threat to the Corleone family posed by the other families in the form of Sollozzo's "proposition." They had to be "in"...or they most certainly were "out."

Under Genco, I think Sollozzo is a casualty of his own business. It would be the only way to defuse the whole situation. I believe Genco would have understood the threat posed by Sollozzo's offer if Sollozzo was coming to the Corleones with the support of the other families. And Genco would have acted in consort with Vito's distaste for the drug trade as to the level of risk and threat it posed to the family. To eliminate the threat, you eliminate Sollozzo, maybe make an example of him for the other families. Perhaps he's arrested and charged with trafficking in narcotics, his entire crew is rounded-up, tried and convicted, and given the maximum sentence for their crimes. And you point to them and say to the other families, "I couldn't help him. That's what could happen to us."

I always thought it was a mistake on the part of the Corleone family, Tom in particular, to grant Sollozzo an appointment only to say no to his proposition. The meeting should have been granted only to say YES to his proposition -- giving the family's endorsement of the deal and approving the general terms of the deal.

Sollozzo knew that.

They embarassed Sollozzo with their refusal. And they insulted the other families that supported Sollozzo. The only response from the other families was to hit Vito and eliminate the only obstacle in their path. Tom never saw it coming, but justified it later to Sonny when he said, "Even the shooting of your father was business."

"A refusal is not the act of a friend."
-- Don Barzini

I may edit this for more clarity later on. That question by Sollozzo, and the possible interpretations for the answer, say a lot about the business of mob life.

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: What Does Sollozzo Mean? #38407
05/01/06 09:23 AM
05/01/06 09:23 AM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Good point Yo TB, but during the meeting didn't Tom make it clear that he already knew how the proceeds were going to be divided among the families? Also I think they asked who was picking up Tattaglia's share to which Sollozzo said he would take care of Tattaglia. This means the Corleones had to know ahead of time the other families were on board.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull