GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 66 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,819
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
During the Commission Meeting in I #609951
08/05/11 09:51 PM
08/05/11 09:51 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline OP
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
The Don of Detroit (I believe it was Detroit in the novel) is giving his speech about drugs and Tattaglia is seen whispering something to an underling. Any significance about that?

Re: During the Commission Meeting in I [Re: dontommasino] #609968
08/06/11 10:01 AM
08/06/11 10:01 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
I think the directorial significance about the whispering was to show that the Detroit Don's speech was empty. The meeting wasn't about selling drugs to "the dark" people. It was about finding a peace between the New York families. Tattaglia and Corleone were the ones who had to decide which moves to make.

Re: During the Commission Meeting in I [Re: dontommasino] #609977
08/06/11 11:23 AM
08/06/11 11:23 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I always wondered about that too. I think it was just directorial license. Perhaps FFC wanted to create a little bit of tension for the audience by having Vito's arch enemy doing something unusual as if something was about to happen.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: During the Commission Meeting in I [Re: olivant] #609983
08/06/11 12:30 PM
08/06/11 12:30 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
...our, it might have been another hint that Tatt was a parvenu, as when we saw him combing his hair at the beginning--hardly a thing a serious Don would do at a Commission meeting.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: During the Commission Meeting in I [Re: dontommasino] #610033
08/06/11 07:14 PM
08/06/11 07:14 PM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline
Capo
waynethegame  Offline
Capo
Tampa, FL
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Tattaglia wasn't really respected among the other Dons, and they basically thought he was a scumbag. It could be inferred to show that he has no respect for Don Zaluchi because he's not really listening to what he has to say (as presumably the other Dons were) but chats with his henchman (who, I presume, is his Consiglieri) while Don Zaluchi is talking.

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi
Re: During the Commission Meeting in I [Re: waynethegame] #610043
08/06/11 08:46 PM
08/06/11 08:46 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The novel says that Tatt was looked down on by the other Dons because he was a pimp, and because he let himself be led around by Barzini.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: During the Commission Meeting in I [Re: dontommasino] #610061
08/07/11 12:29 AM
08/07/11 12:29 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
The Don you're referring to is named Joe Zaluchi in the novel. Zaluchi was a close ally of Vito Corleone, and Tattaglia was Corleone's enemy, and therefore probably also Zaluchi's enemy.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: During the Commission Meeting in I [Re: dontommasino] #610112
08/07/11 09:00 PM
08/07/11 09:00 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
They also blamed Tattaglia for starting the war by his inefficient murder attempt(s) on Vito. They felt that if he had been successful at the shooting, or later at the hospital, Sonny would have been forced to make a deal, and the war would have been averted.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: During the Commission Meeting in I [Re: Sicilian Babe] #610166
08/08/11 11:40 AM
08/08/11 11:40 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
They also blamed Tattaglia for starting the war by his inefficient murder attempt(s) on Vito. They felt that if he had been successful at the shooting, or later at the hospital, Sonny would have been forced to make a deal, and the war would have been averted.

There's no question in my mind that Barzini arranged for the don from Detroit to make his speech which set the conditions for the compromise Vito was going to make. Barzini also must have told Tatt what he was up to and based on those conditions he would be forced to make the peace with Vito like it or not.
Accordingly Tatt didn't need to hear the speech, so he was probably making arrangements for a post meeting hooker.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: During the Commission Meeting in I [Re: dontommasino] #610167
08/08/11 11:47 AM
08/08/11 11:47 AM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline OP
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
At the end of the Detroit Don's speech there is a little moment that I like where Vito gives Tattaglia a stare and you see Tattaglia squirm in his chair a little bit.

Re: During the Commission Meeting in I [Re: dontomasso] #610170
08/08/11 11:54 AM
08/08/11 11:54 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally Posted By: dontomasso

There's no question in my mind that Barzini arranged for the don from Detroit to make his speech which set the conditions for the compromise Vito was going to make. Barzini also must have told Tatt what he was up to and based on those conditions he would be forced to make the peace with Vito like it or not.
Accordingly Tatt didn't need to hear the speech, so he was probably making arrangements for a post meeting hooker.

Considering that the book talks about how close Vito and Don Zaluchi were I think it's highly unlikely that the speech was orchestrated by Barzini. It certainly furthered Barzini's ends, though.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: During the Commission Meeting in I [Re: The Last Woltz] #610235
08/09/11 09:30 AM
08/09/11 09:30 AM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline OP
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz
Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Considering that the book talks about how close Vito and Don Zaluchi were I think it's highly unlikely that the speech was orchestrated by Barzini. It certainly furthered Barzini's ends, though.

I don't see why that speech couldn't have been orchestrated by Barzini who virtually controlled the Commission by that point. He could've said to Zaluchi that "drugs are going to happen whether you like it or not, perhaps you can help me convince Don Corleone." The problem is that the film doesn't highlight any such prior relationship between Corleone and Zaluchi.

Re: During the Commission Meeting in I [Re: dontommasino] #610237
08/09/11 10:49 AM
08/09/11 10:49 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: dontommasino
I don't see why that speech couldn't have been orchestrated by Barzini who virtually controlled the Commission by that point. He could've said to Zaluchi that "drugs are going to happen whether you like it or not, perhaps you can help me convince Don Corleone." The problem is that the film doesn't highlight any such prior relationship between Corleone and Zaluchi.

The speech by Zaluchi in the film is taken directly out of the novel. If it was orchestrated by Barzini, Puzo would've mentioned it. Puzo states that "Zaluchi disapproved of traffic in drugs" and that Vito "could count on Zaluchi for support."

Doesn't mean that you're theory isn't plausible though.

Re: During the Commission Meeting in I [Re: Sonny_Black] #610238
08/09/11 11:13 AM
08/09/11 11:13 AM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline OP
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
It could be one of the things in the novel that is left to the reader to interpret themselves. Was the passage about Zaluchi being against drugs and that the Don could count on him for support before he made the speech?

Re: During the Commission Meeting in I [Re: dontommasino] #610242
08/09/11 11:22 AM
08/09/11 11:22 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
It could be one of the things in the novel that is left to the reader to interpret themselves. Was the passage about Zaluchi being against drugs and that the Don could count on him for support before he made the speech?

It's stated by Puzo when Zaluchi arrived at the meeting in the beginning of that chapter. Then a few pages further he makes his speech.

Re: During the Commission Meeting in I [Re: Sonny_Black] #610244
08/09/11 11:37 AM
08/09/11 11:37 AM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline OP
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

It's stated by Puzo when Zaluchi arrived at the meeting in the beginning of that chapter. Then a few pages further he makes his speech.

I don't remember if Brando showed anything in his acting that suggests that he was taken aback by Zaluchi's speech. I did note that Tattaglia almost had a smirk on his face following Zaluchi's face though.

Last edited by dontommasino; 08/09/11 11:37 AM.
Re: During the Commission Meeting in I [Re: dontommasino] #610365
08/10/11 08:36 AM
08/10/11 08:36 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: dontommasino
I don't remember if Brando showed anything in his acting that suggests that he was taken aback by Zaluchi's speech. I did note that Tattaglia almost had a smirk on his face following Zaluchi's face though.

Zaluchi was honest. Maybe he really thought his suggestion would help smoothen the situation between the NY Dons.
Vito knew that he had no chance but to agree on the drug proposal. The only question was under which conditions. And his main goal was to bring Michael home safely.

Re: During the Commission Meeting in I [Re: Danito] #610368
08/10/11 09:22 AM
08/10/11 09:22 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

The implied threat in the don's peech was this : He too was opposed to drugs and he even paid his people extra not to push them the problem was no matter what he did at the end of the day, when it came to drug selling "they can't say no." In other words, the message was no Don had the power to stop his own people from being disloyal. It was purely business, and drug trafficking was going to happen no matter what. The implied theat to Vito was "get on board with this or you will be losing your street muscle." Once that was made clear, then the terms of the compromise were laid out.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: During the Commission Meeting in I [Re: dontommasino] #610484
08/11/11 11:45 AM
08/11/11 11:45 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
As Danito states above, Vito's motivation for the Commission meeting was to achieve a peace of sorts so that Michael could return home. That was it. We don't know for sure if Vito kept his promise once Michael returned, but it was likely he did so in order that his and Michael's plan to wipe out Barzini and Tattaglia could occur as planned.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: During the Commission Meeting in I [Re: olivant] #610495
08/11/11 12:58 PM
08/11/11 12:58 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Obviously Vito kept his promise, and in fact this was still the policy in New York in GFIII when Michael was keeping Zasa from rising up in the comission because he was selling drugs in th old neighborhoods and to kids.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull