GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Signor Vitelli), 367 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,782
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,343
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,414
Posts1,060,530
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Question about Gravano #609144
07/26/11 05:42 PM
07/26/11 05:42 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline OP
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
As I've come to understand it Gravano was a Soldier on 12/16/1985. What then made him so important that he was approached by Ruggierio (spelling) to get him to support the move on Castellano?

Re: Question about Gravano [Re: dontommasino] #609145
07/26/11 05:52 PM
07/26/11 05:52 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: dontommasino
As I've come to understand it Gravano was a Soldier on 12/16/1985. What then made him so important that he was approached by Ruggierio (spelling) to get him to support the move on Castellano?

It's true he was only a soldier at the time. I think he was approached because he was still quite close to castellano which may have worked to gotti's advantage. also he was a good earner and was a good hitman so he could help set up the hit

Last edited by JCrusher; 07/26/11 05:52 PM.
Re: Question about Gravano [Re: dontommasino] #609150
07/26/11 07:02 PM
07/26/11 07:02 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Good question, I've been wondering this too actually. I've understood that even he was just a soldier, he was pretty close to Castellano.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Question about Gravano [Re: Sonny_Black] #609158
07/26/11 07:37 PM
07/26/11 07:37 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Gravano and Castellano were close, and it was a sure bet he would come to Gotti's aide. Why? It was a one sided friendship really. Castellano started more or less hitting on Sammy when he heard Gravano was moving in to construction. From then on Sammy accompanied Paul on important business trips with the obvious addition of Bilotti. That was one thing that made their relationship even more bizarre. Sammy absolutely HATED Bilotti, and Paul never went anywhere without him. So anyway, put all this together. John and Angelo Ruggiero, leaders of the dissident faction were people persons. I'm sure they observed how close Paul was to Sammy, yet how distant Sammy was to Paul, and knew it was an easy move to get a guy with a lot of reputation for keeping a loyal crew and having plenty of muscle. That's something people forget. Sammy had Huck Carbonaro and an assortment of loyalists. And here's my favorite line from Underboss to sum up how Sammy was feeling about Paul at the time (paraphrased)

Quote:
"Word is, Paul was gonna make Tommy Gambino Acting Boss and Tommy Bilotti the Underboss. First off, Tommy Gambino is a fucking dressmaker. I was down in the garment district one night and ran in to him. He was sewing up a lady's dress and says "Sammy, does this look right to you? Does this dress look right to you?" And Tommy Bilotti is an abusive Gorilla."

Last edited by BarrettM; 07/26/11 07:38 PM.
Re: Question about Gravano [Re: dontommasino] #609170
07/27/11 01:31 AM
07/27/11 01:31 AM
J
JasonAnthony74 Offline
Made Member
JasonAnthony74  Offline
J
Made Member

Gravano was also close to Frank DeCicco, another close aide to Castellano. If Gotti could get to Sammy, he'd have a better shot at getting to DeCicco. Without Gravano and especially DeCicco, I don't think Gotti would have made a move.

Re: Question about Gravano [Re: dontommasino] #609171
07/27/11 03:35 AM
07/27/11 03:35 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Gotti, Gravano, DeCicco, DiBernardo, Armone = "the fist"

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Question about Gravano [Re: dontommasino] #609177
07/27/11 04:31 AM
07/27/11 04:31 AM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
He was an earner who was, at the time, close to both Castellano (the boss) and Frank DeCicco, who was in with Gotti.

I know everyone else has already answered this question but I figured Id throw in my two razoo's.

(cough.)
Re: Question about Gravano [Re: dontommasino] #609203
07/27/11 03:37 PM
07/27/11 03:37 PM
Northumberland England
GaryH Offline
Underboss
GaryH  Offline
Underboss
Northumberland England
Construction was Pauls favourite racket (according to Sammy) which is how they became "friends"
Oh and Most people hated Bilotti - LOL

Re: Question about Gravano [Re: dontommasino] #609215
07/27/11 04:56 PM
07/27/11 04:56 PM
Mukremin Offline
Underboss
Mukremin  Offline
Underboss
This isnt the only example, some soldiers were the right hand man of the boss. If you earn good, you could be closer to the boss then a capo or anyone else, correct me if i am wrong smile

Up to date mafia charts --> https://cosanostracharts.wordpress.com/
Re: Question about Gravano [Re: dontommasino] #609219
07/27/11 05:31 PM
07/27/11 05:31 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
I also think that when Gravano agreed with the plot he expected that decicco would become boss since he was more qualified than gotti. Decicco told gravano that john'e ego was too big to be underboss so they agreed to give gotti 1 year to be a good boss or they would kill him.

Last edited by JCrusher; 07/27/11 05:32 PM.
Re: Question about Gravano [Re: JCrusher] #609232
07/27/11 09:59 PM
07/27/11 09:59 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

Sammy actually became close with Frank DeCicco when his mentor, Toddo Aurello died and DeCicco took over Aurello's crew.

There were several incidents which took place over time that made Gravano turn on Castellano. One of them being that Sammy found out that Castellano had secretly ordered Frank DeCicco to kill him, Gravano, had he he opposed an ordered hit that had been taken out on his brother-in-law Nicky Scibetta.

After another incident Gravano learned that once again, for a second time, Big Paul was considering having him killed. And when Gravano began earning more and more from his businesses, Big Paul began to squeeze every last nickel out of him.

Meanwhile the Dellacroce crew were being treated like the red headed stepchildren of the gambino family. But in my opinion, the straw that broke the camel's back in pushing Gotti over the edge with Castellano was Casteallano's failure to both visit Mr. Neil, when he ws dying, or attend his funeral when he did die.

So now you had two factions of the Gambino family who were not happy with the boss, Big Paul. Throw in the fact that Big Paul was probably going to be put away, and that he would in all likelyhood pass over Frank DeCiccio in naming him acting boss had he been sent to prison...and you have all the ingredients to unite two crews to conspire to overthrow the head of the family.

It was really Robert 'DB' DeBernardo who brought Gotti, DeCicco and The Bull together to unite against Paul Castellano.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Question about Gravano [Re: Don Cardi] #609239
07/27/11 11:25 PM
07/27/11 11:25 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

Sammy actually became close with Frank DeCicco when his mentor, Toddo Aurello died and DeCicco took over Aurello's crew.

There were several incidents which took place over time that made Gravano turn on Castellano. One of them being that Sammy found out that Castellano had secretly ordered Frank DeCicco to kill him, Gravano, had he he opposed an ordered hit that had been taken out on his brother-in-law Nicky Scibetta.

After another incident Gravano learned that once again, for a second time, Big Paul was considering having him killed. And when Gravano began earning more and more from his businesses, Big Paul began to squeeze every last nickel out of him.

Meanwhile the Dellacroce crew were being treated like the red headed stepchildren of the gambino family. But in my opinion, the straw that broke the camel's back in pushing Gotti over the edge with Castellano was Casteallano's failure to both visit Mr. Neil, when he ws dying, or attend his funeral when he did die.

So now you had two factions of the Gambino family who were not happy with the boss, Big Paul. Throw in the fact that Big Paul was probably going to be put away, and that he would in all likelyhood pass over Frank DeCiccio in naming him acting boss had he been sent to prison...and you have all the ingredients to unite two crews to conspire to overthrow the head of the family.

It was really Robert 'DB' DeBernardo who brought Gotti, DeCicco and The Bull together to unite against Paul Castellano.

I agree. it's amazing that guys like Gravano, decicco, Armone, and DiBernardo were good candidates for being the boss and the gambinos ended up with a dumbass like Gotti. that turned out great lol

Re: Question about Gravano [Re: Don Cardi] #609241
07/27/11 11:53 PM
07/27/11 11:53 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss

What makes you say DB? I don't remember him playing a significant role. Speaking of DB, what the hell really happened? You have Gravano who claims Angie Ruggiero set it up to avoid paying back a loan for a good amount of money. Although this story was kind of iffy, and when Gravano sounds iffy, it usually means he's lying. But then some others say Gravano organized it to shamelessly take over his construction deals, which would really make a lot of sense since Gravano is more or less a serial killer, and that's his M.O. Which was it really?

JCrusher, I agree with you, but an interesting note on Armone. Gravano and Gene Gotti both claimed Armone wasn't boss material at the time, Gravano claimed so because of his current interactions with Armone. From the way he told it, I think Armone was senile by then. Which is definitely something that could fly over a mobster's head. Armone suggested they divert heat away from the family by killing Oliver North. I'm 16 but I've been through a form of senility in Lyme Disease, and it really sounds like that was an issue at the time. I wonder how they could all be so clueless about parts of the human mental condition, and brilliant at reading others.

Last edited by BarrettM; 07/27/11 11:53 PM.
Re: Question about Gravano [Re: dontommasino] #609256
07/28/11 12:04 PM
07/28/11 12:04 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline OP
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
A minor point, but I thought that Toddo Aurello didn't die until the 1990's. The reason I say that is I found (what supposedly) is Gravano's debriefing of the F.B.I from 1991 and where he lists members of the family he lists Aurello as retired and that he would report to the administration in the event of a problem.

Re: Question about Gravano [Re: dontommasino] #609260
07/28/11 12:49 PM
07/28/11 12:49 PM
Northumberland England
GaryH Offline
Underboss
GaryH  Offline
Underboss
Northumberland England
Pauls insane choice to allow the Genovese to whack one of the Gambino Captains somewhere in New England didnt go down well either

Re: Question about Gravano [Re: dontommasino] #609273
07/28/11 02:34 PM
07/28/11 02:34 PM
J
JasonAnthony74 Offline
Made Member
JasonAnthony74  Offline
J
Made Member
Gravano is/was short. I think he took steroids and pumped weights because he had a bit of the short man syndrome!

Re: Question about Gravano [Re: dontommasino] #609346
07/29/11 07:18 PM
07/29/11 07:18 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: BarrettM
What makes you say DB? I don't remember him playing a significant role.

DiBernardo was part of the Gravano/DiCiccio faction of the Gambino family serving under Big Paul. DB was a HUGE earner for the family. Big Paul was also squeezing DB, as he was Gravano and DiCiccio, and DB like the others was tiring of Big Paul's greediness.

DB used to frequent many of the places that John Gotti hung out at and it makes sense that he and Gotti probably exchanged their unpleasant feelings about Castellano and his greed.

Also remember that it was no secret that Big Paul was unhappy with the Gotti faction...and that Gotti was unhappy with Big Paul.

Sammy, DiCiccio and DiBernardo probably had many discussions about their being unhappy with the current leadership....and from hanging around and talking with Gotti, DB probably told them that Gotti was also unhappy....hence DB becoming the guy who would become "the feeler" or "the Buffer" between one faction of the family and the other. DiCicco, already knowing that Gotti was unhappy with Big Paul, was NOT going to take a chance and immediately let Gotti know that he felt the same way. He had to distance himself, at first, just in case someone in the Gotti crew was not on the up and up and may go back to Big Paul and tell him that DiCiccio was talking against him. So in all likelihood he was cautious and used DB to feel things out before stepping forward himself to eventually align and plot with Gotti to take out Castellano.

A minor point, but I thought that Toddo Aurello didn't die until the 1990's.

If memory serves me correctly Aurello died sometime in the early 1980's because while still under Big Paul, DiCiccio was handed the teamster crew that was once run by Aurello.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Question about Gravano [Re: dontommasino] #609361
07/30/11 12:30 AM
07/30/11 12:30 AM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline OP
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
Aurello has been one person that has been difficult to track down information on nevertheless. Perhaps Underboss by Peter Maas will tell me a little more about him when it arrives next week. Again, I don't know whether that's a true copy of Gravano's debriefing, but it suggests that Aurello was still alive as of 1991, but was retired from any active role in the family.

As for DiB, I found it interesting that in Gotti he was given a significant role played by Frank Vincent and in Witness to the Mob his role is limited with Vincent playing DeCicco. I guess two very different perspectives?

Re: Question about Gravano [Re: dontommasino] #609572
08/01/11 06:49 PM
08/01/11 06:49 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
According to Gravano in december 1985 after Paul got killed Aurello retired and gravano took over the crew. I'm not sure when he died by I know that he was still alive when paul was killed

Re: Question about Gravano [Re: JCrusher] #609659
08/02/11 10:46 PM
08/02/11 10:46 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: JCrusher
According to Gravano in december 1985 after Paul got killed Aurello retired and gravano took over the crew. I'm not sure when he died by I know that he was still alive when paul was killed

Where did you find information about Aurello that makes you so sure that he was still alive when Big Paul was killed? I am sncerely curious to know.

I may have my timeline mixed up....but DeCiccio did take over Aurello's teamster crew and he and Gravano became close allies.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Question about Gravano [Re: Don Cardi] #610248
08/09/11 12:02 PM
08/09/11 12:02 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline OP
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted By: JCrusher

Where did you find information about Aurello that makes you so sure that he was still alive when Big Paul was killed? I am sncerely curious to know.

I may have my timeline mixed up....but DeCiccio did take over Aurello's teamster crew and he and Gravano became close allies.

The information was from Peter Maas' book. Apparently Gravano was told that after 12-16-1985 that he was going to be made a capo. However, he did not want to step on Aurello's toes so he went to Toddo and asked if it was OK, which Aurello said it was because he wanted to retire. Gravano was going to start a new crew anyways. So Toddo received permission from Gotti, DeCicco and Joe N. Gallo to retire.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/sammy-bull-gravano-fbi-debriefings?page=26

This is the link for Gravano's debriefing that I have mentioned where Aurello's name is mentioned.

Going back to the original question in this thread one thing that is the incident with Gravano threatening DiBono. Apparently it was Dellacroce who stood up for him at the sit-down and that obviously would've helped form a link between Gravano and the Dellacroce faction.

Last edited by dontommasino; 08/09/11 12:03 PM.
Re: Question about Gravano [Re: dontommasino] #610255
08/09/11 12:28 PM
08/09/11 12:28 PM
G
GerryLang Offline
Underboss
GerryLang  Offline
G
Underboss
Sammy Gravano had a few guys in his crew to become rats, DiLeonard, Fappiano, and D'Amico, but they why guy he claimed would be quick to rat never did. That was his hated brother in law Eddie Garafola, who is doing a thirty year sentence. Anyone know if Eddie Garafola was ever made?

Re: Question about Gravano [Re: GerryLang] #610259
08/09/11 12:37 PM
08/09/11 12:37 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline OP
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
The Wikipedia article for him lists him as an associate, but who knows with Wiki?

Re: Question about Gravano [Re: dontommasino] #610342
08/10/11 04:09 AM
08/10/11 04:09 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

As just mentioned in another thread, he is made.

Check out his 2002 indictment -

http://www.thelaborers.net/LOCALS/LU79/Junior_Campbell_indictment%29.htm

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Question about Gravano [Re: dontommasino] #610721
08/12/11 08:17 PM
08/12/11 08:17 PM
scotland :D
R
rossato Offline
BANNED
rossato  Offline
BANNED
R
Made Member
scotland :D
is gravano gona get out someday ? with his daughter doing that mob wives he cud come out n do talkshows in america for fuck sake imagine that .. him telling good morning america about his time in jail lol

rosss the bosss grin whose who want respect get respect
Re: Question about Gravano [Re: dontommasino] #610726
08/12/11 09:29 PM
08/12/11 09:29 PM
L
Lenin_and_McCarthy Offline
Capo
Lenin_and_McCarthy  Offline
L
Capo
Wikipedia make Graves disease sound survivable. Any thoughts?

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull