GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (The_Marble_Guy, mike68, 1 invisible), 269 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,892
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,689
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A "good" Don #608376
07/19/11 05:33 AM
07/19/11 05:33 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline OP
Underboss
Danito  Offline OP
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
In another thread Immobiliare brought up a variation of an old question:
Original geschrieben von: Immobiliare
do you think Tom had it in him to become a good Don?

Can there be something like a "good" Mafia Don?
To me, this question about a good Don is kind of absurd: After all we're talking about the head of an organisation that earns money by killing people. It's like asking "What makes a good dictator?"
Marlon Brando's strength was to show a complex character: A man who used his capabilities in a corrupt society who was still a good father and a loyal employer.
That doesn't change the fact that he was running a murder organisation. In "The Godfather" we see no street violence (apart from Sonny beating up Carlo), we don't see the killing of the labour union guy, we don't see how they blackmail shopkeepers. We don't really see how the Corleones make their money. We only see violence from the Corleone side when it comes to revenge which always shown as rightful.
Thus, a good Don is someone who organizes crime business smoothly.

Re: A "good" Don [Re: Danito] #608384
07/19/11 09:38 AM
07/19/11 09:38 AM
I
Immobiliare Offline
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline
I
Made Member
I should have made it clear that I didn't mean 'good' from a moral standpoint or anything like that. I meant 'good' as in 'effective'.

In other words, would Tom have been able to take the Corleone family forward? Could he have protected the family from those trying to challenge thier power? Could he have made the family's business as successful as Micheal made it? Could he have turned the family legitimate? Would he have been able to keep his family loyal?

Re: A "good" Don [Re: Danito] #608391
07/19/11 09:59 AM
07/19/11 09:59 AM
I
Immobiliare Offline
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline
I
Made Member
Also, I think in some ways this thread can relate to the other 'whos being naive Kay...' thread.

Essentially , taking a moral standpoint, you cannot be a 'good' don in the same way you cannot be a 'good' businessman, senator, or Prime minister/President. To get into these positions of power it is almost guaranteed that you will have to comprimise some ethics along the way...

Re: A "good" Don [Re: Danito] #608432
07/19/11 01:52 PM
07/19/11 01:52 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
Originally Posted By: Danito
In another thread Immobiliare brought up a variation of an old question:
Originally Posted By: Immobiliare
do you think Tom had it in him to become a good Don?

Can there be something like a "good" Mafia Don?
To me, this question about a good Don is kind of absurd: After all we're talking about the head of an organisation that earns money by killing people. It's like asking "What makes a good dictator?"

I don't think it's accurate to say a Mafia family "earns money by killing people." That's what a hitman does. A Mafia family certainly uses violence (including deadly force) for various reasons, and often (though not always) those are financially related. But I don't think killing itself is a major way the organization as a whole makes money. Extortion, racketeering, prostitution, gambling etc. are, and violence is often used in these areas.

On the question of "goodness," obviously nobody becomes a Mafia don (or a dictator) by being some sort of candidate for sainthood. In forming one's opinion of a particular individual in the mob, or a particular dictator, one has to take this into account from the outset. Some mobsters, like "Gaspipe" Casso and Nicky Scarfo, were way more brutal than a person has to be even if they're a Mafia leader. Vito Corleone, on the other hand, seems to have been about as good and kind a person as one could be without ceasing to be a viable Mafia don. He does seem like a good guy within the context of the mob, although not by the standards of the larger society. He's clearly not a villain in the context of the Godfather book and movies.

Let me tell ya somethin my kraut mick friend!
Re: A "good" Don [Re: Danito] #608433
07/19/11 02:09 PM
07/19/11 02:09 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Given that one does not rise to the level of Don by being ineffective, a Don is effective in many areas, but maybe not all. As I opined in another thread, Tom's effectiveness would have manifested itself in keeping the organization running efficiently. I don't see Tom as a greedy or vengeful person who would use his position to exact unusual tribute from his minions or to eliminate perceived family competition a la Scarfo. Tom was imbued with Vito's principles and would have run his family accordingly.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull