GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Toodoped, m2w, 1 invisible), 322 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,493
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,837
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs #608228
07/17/11 11:57 PM
07/17/11 11:57 PM
B
botz Offline OP
Underboss
botz  Offline OP
B
Underboss
My favorite is Johnny Maestro-sweetest one R.I.P. Johnny

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: botz] #608283
07/18/11 12:37 PM
07/18/11 12:37 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Interesting question botz. I love Doo Wop. Several come to mind: Frankie Lyman (Why Do Fools Fall In Love); Peguins (Earth Angel); The Platters are awesome (Great Pretender, Only You, My Prayer); Can't list all their songs and am not sure if they were one-hit wonders but a couple of my very favorite 50's doo-wop are: The Five Satins (In The Still Of The Night) and The Diamonds (Little Darling.) Two of my favorite Doo Wops. smile

Artists that went into the 60's with their music: Dion DiMucci (I Wonder Why, Runaround Sue and tons of others); Little Anthony & the Imperials (Tears On My Pillow). smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: botz] #608285
07/18/11 12:48 PM
07/18/11 12:48 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Ah, brings back memories of me and Mary Lou Reidinger. She had a huge 45 record collection. I like Maestro, but also Little Anthony (Just Two Kinds of People in the World; Tears was great also). There are so many.

TIS, some say that Still of the Night was the greatest Doo-Wop song. Remember Duke of Earl?

Last edited by olivant; 07/18/11 12:49 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: olivant] #608286
07/18/11 01:11 PM
07/18/11 01:11 PM
California

California
Oli,

I sure do remember "The Duke Of Earl." Loved it. smile

A while back when I was in Michigan the PBS channel had a reunion Doo-Wop shows with many great acts from the 50's, as they look now, including The Diamonds, Gogi Grant, the 5 Satins and many others.

They also had the artist (forgot the name) who sang "Lollipop". Remember that song? (Lollipop, lollipop, oh lolli lollipop?) Anyway my whole family laughed at the one guy in the group who's only contribution to that song was the "pop" (inserting finger in mouth). lol Anyone who knows the song knows what I'm talking about.

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 07/18/11 01:12 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: botz] #608290
07/18/11 01:44 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: botz
My favorite is Johnny Maestro-sweetest one R.I.P. Johnny

The best white lead doo-wop vocalist ever. Hands down.

My favorite doo-wop vocal groups (aside from Johnny Maestro and the Crests) are the Duprees and the Skyliners.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: pizzaboy] #608291
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
The best doo-wop version of "Over the Rainbow" ever recorded was by the Mystics.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: pizzaboy] #608297
07/18/11 02:02 PM
07/18/11 02:02 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I'm an old New York doo-wop guy, veteran of every Alan Freed R&R show from '56 through '60, and an avid listener to Freed and Jocko. Two classes of favorites:

1. The smoothies: Flamingos, Harptones, Moonglows. Willie Winfield (Harptones) is my ace; my favorite is "On Sunday Afternoon."

2. The (younger) doo-woppers: Channels, Teenagers, Cleftones,Chantels, Bop Chords, Continentals, Paragons, Jesters, Billy Ward and the Dominos...the list is interminable. Channels and their lead singer, Earl Lewis, are my faves; their best is "The Gleam in Your Eye."

The best white groups were the Skyliners and Dion and the Belmonts.

Jackie Wilson was the greatest lead singer of the Fifties, with Clyde McPhatter coming in second.

Anyone else remember any of these?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: Turnbull] #608300
07/18/11 02:07 PM
07/18/11 02:07 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Jackie Wilson was the greatest lead singer of the Fifties

Amen to that, TB clap.

Jackie's best ballad:

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: pizzaboy] #608302
07/18/11 02:14 PM
07/18/11 02:14 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
A very great and beautiful song, PB. smile

"To Be Loved" replaced "Love is a Many Splendored Thing" at every Italian and Jewish wedding in NYC in the Sixties. wink Jackie could have made a great operatic tenor if he'd gone that way.

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: Turnbull] #608304
07/18/11 02:23 PM
07/18/11 02:23 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
"To Be Loved" replaced "Love is a Many Splendored Thing" at every Italian and Jewish wedding in NYC in the Sixties. wink Jackie could have made a great operatic tenor if he'd gone that way.

You're creepy sometimes, TB.

My parents were married in '58 (I came along in '59). "To Be Loved" was their wedding song! That's the reason I posted it!

The song's initial release was in '57. Eddie Murphy made it a bit of a retro hit when he sang along to it in "Coming to America."

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: pizzaboy] #608305
07/18/11 02:28 PM
07/18/11 02:28 PM
California

California
I love Jackie Wilson's voice but have to say that "To Be Loved" is only vaguely familiar to me. I don't know if it's because I wasn't listening or just waaaay too young. whistle

And Clyde McPhatter, I had to look up cause I didn't know him by name, but of course, The Drifters I do. Another great group.

I too think that Tony Williams of The Platters had a wonderful voice as lead singer.

TIS

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #608306
07/18/11 02:34 PM
07/18/11 02:34 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I love Jackie Wilson's voice but have to say that "To Be Loved" is only vaguely familiar to me. I don't know if it's because I wasn't listening or just waaaay too young. whistle

You'e older than me, Grandma, and I know that song all my life tongue lol.

Maybe it was more popular in New York than in Detroit.

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: olivant] #608316
07/18/11 05:40 PM
07/18/11 05:40 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Originally Posted By: olivant
Remember Duke of Earl?

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: botz] #608326
07/18/11 07:08 PM
07/18/11 07:08 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Yes, I'm answering your last letter that says we must part
I'm tearing it to pieces the way you tore up my heart
I smile when you kiss me and I thrill at your touch
My only sin was, I love you much too much

"Glory of Love"-The Velvetones

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: Lilo] #608328
07/18/11 07:37 PM
07/18/11 07:37 PM
California

California
Good one Lilo. smile

How about "Stay" by Maurice Williams and how could I forget "At The Hop", by Danny & the Juniors.

Music was so "fun and innocent" back then wasn't it?

TIS

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: botz] #608339
07/18/11 08:54 PM
07/18/11 08:54 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I like to watch the PBS special on Doo Wop. They have some great groups and the talent is STILL amazing. I'm always impressed at how strong their voices still are - these are not youngsters.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: Sicilian Babe] #608341
07/18/11 09:01 PM
07/18/11 09:01 PM
California

California
SB, On one of the PBS "Doo-Wop" reunion specials they had one gal (I think the one that sang "I've Told Every Little Star") who was like 12 or 15 or so when she originally had the hit. Well at roughly 60 something she was the youngster there. lol You're right tho, most of them do still sound pretty good.

The had the Platters as well but had Mel Carter (Hold Me, Thrill Me) take over the lead for Tony Williams.

smile

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 07/18/11 09:06 PM.

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #608347
07/18/11 09:38 PM
07/18/11 09:38 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
How about "Stay" by Maurice Williams.

TIS

Maurice Williams was with the Zodiacs when he made "Stay." He was with an earlier group, the Gladiolas, that made the original "Little Darling." But it was immediately "covered" by a white Canadian group, the Diamonds, and it was just about the biggest hit single in the NYC area in the summer of 1957. Both Alan Freed and Jocko had a policy of playing only the originals when a song was "covered," and their shows were where I heard the Gladiolas' version of "Little Darling."

Record producers in the Fifties and Sixties had a nasty practice: they'd con (mostly black) young singing groups into signing recording "contracts" that had them turn over the song rights to the producers. The producers then would then make the song available to (mostly white) singers and groups, and make royalties from both versions.

In an extreme case, a black group, the Rays, made a single with "Silhouettes" as the A-side and "Daddy Cool" as the B. It reached Billboard Top 10. Within a week, the Diamonds covered both sides on their single, and it reached Top 10, too.

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: Turnbull] #608393
07/19/11 10:02 AM
07/19/11 10:02 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Record producers in the Fifties and Sixties had a nasty practice: they'd con (mostly black) young singing groups into signing recording "contracts" that had them turn over the song rights to the producers. The producers then would then make the song available to (mostly white) singers and groups, and make royalties from both versions.

I'm sure you remember this, TB, but "The Sopranos" tapped that storyline during the first season. I've read that the character of "Hesh" was loosely based on Herman Lubinsky, who founded Savoy Records. Lubinsky was a Newark area record producer who was almost universally hated by the African American music community.

Ironically, Herman Lubinsky was the grandfather of TJ Lubinsky, the young man who produces many of the PBS Doo Wop revival shows that we all love so much. TJ is a very young guy. Younger than 40, I think. But great music transcends age and time.

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: botz] #608402
07/19/11 10:46 AM
07/19/11 10:46 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
Randy and the Rainbows-Denise Denise is a great song

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: pizzaboy] #608544
07/20/11 01:31 PM
07/20/11 01:31 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

I'm sure you remember this, TB, but "The Sopranos" tapped that storyline during the first season. I've read that the character of "Hesh" was loosely based on Herman Lubinsky, who founded Savoy Records. Lubinsky was a Newark area record producer who was almost universally hated by the African American music community.

Ironically, Herman Lubinsky was the grandfather of TJ Lubinsky, the young man who produces many of the PBS Doo Wop revival shows that we all love so much. TJ is a very young guy. Younger than 40, I think. But great music transcends age and time.

This is from www.bsnpubs.com:

Morris Levy ran the Roulette label from it's inception. He was born poor in the East Bronx, New York. He went into the nightclub business and eventually owned several big nightclubs in mid-town Manhattan. Levy was in business with disc jockey Alan Freed, and with Freed promoted the hugely successful Rock and Roll shows at the Brooklyn Paramount Theater. Levy's real money came from publishing copyrights that accumulated into a vast fortune over the years. It was hardly a secret that Levy had many "silent partners" in the Mafia underworld. Levy claimed he was being harassed by the government and had numerous run-ins with the law because of his association with the Genovese family, but he avoided serious prosecution for many years. Levy's luck ran out in May 1988 when he was convicted on extortion charges and drew a ten-year sentence, but he remained free on bail after an appeal, and died of cancer in 1990. The story of Morris Levy and Roulette Records is chronicled in the book Hit Men by Fredric Danner in the chapter titled "Lullaby of Gangland."

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: Turnbull] #608745
07/22/11 01:26 PM
07/22/11 01:26 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Doo Wop was on life support by 1963, but you'd never know it by this song. It's one of the great summer melodies of all time.

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: botz] #609344
07/29/11 06:57 PM
07/29/11 06:57 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Way Back Then

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: Lilo] #609347
07/29/11 07:35 PM
07/29/11 07:35 PM
California

California
Nice Lilo. smile I can't say I remember that particular song but it most definitely is doo-wop. They sound pretty much the same in the newer version either.

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 07/29/11 07:36 PM.

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: botz] #609348
07/29/11 08:32 PM
07/29/11 08:32 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
So Much in Love is still one of my favorites. It reminded me of back in '63 of WAMO with Porky Chedwick, Pittsburgh's "platter pushin' poppa who would spliver your liver and splatter your bladder". Even then he was spinning golden oldies. WAMO was primarily a black station that now is a Catholic station.

God,if I could only have those days back again. Oh yes, "Oh what a night. Late September back in '63, what a very special time for me." I guess it was a special time for many of us.

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: olivant] #609369
07/30/11 12:50 PM
07/30/11 12:50 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Most Fifties doo-wop was recorded on small, independent labels that had only local or regional distribution. Result: a song could be Top 40 in New York and never be heard in, say, Atlanta, Houston or San Francisco. But, they could take a group of kids right off the street, record them the same day, and get (actually buy) airplay within a week.

After the "payola" investigations of 1959-60, most of the independent labels folded--they couldn't buy airplay anymore. The survivors all had national and even international distribution, had better-quality studios, improved marketing, etc. But they were a lot more selective in who they chose to record. Result: far fewer black singing groups made records.

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: botz] #609372
07/30/11 02:06 PM
07/30/11 02:06 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Dion and the Belmonts - "Run Around Sue". Great Jitterbug song.

I was in Shop-Rite early this morning and they had an oldies station on and I heard Dion doing "Ruby".

Don't know if I'd call Jackie Wilson doo-wop, but man that guy had a voice unmatched today - "Lonely Teardrops", "Baby Workout", "That's Why I Love You So", "Reet Petite".

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: MaryCas] #609375
07/30/11 02:19 PM
07/30/11 02:19 PM
California

California
MC,

I love Dion! Runaround Sue is one of my favorites as well as Ruby and I think every other hit they had. I have the greatest hits album somewhere back in MI. smile

Here's The Temptations. I think they can be considered doo-wop even if from the 60's. I always loved the mellow dance routines and although not so much in this video, I loved their flashy dress style. smile.

Go Motown!! wink

TIS

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: botz] #609376
07/30/11 02:24 PM
07/30/11 02:24 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
TIS, I'd have to classify The Temps as soul really.

Re: who is your favorite doo-wop singer and songs [Re: olivant] #609377
07/30/11 02:28 PM
07/30/11 02:28 PM
California

California
Originally Posted By: olivant
TIS, I'd have to classify The Temps as soul really.

Does that mean I have to delete it? wink

Yea, you're right I guess. I know more about the 60's music than the 50's.

So, just enjoy the music.

TIS

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull