GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (TheKillingJoke, Giacomo, U talkin' da me ??, 1 invisible), 584 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,082
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,373
Posts1,059,546
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vito and Fredo #608039
07/16/11 10:17 AM
07/16/11 10:17 AM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
This is a hypothetical question: what would Vito's advice to Micheal have been regarding Fredo's treachery? I know this is a difficult question to answer as its unlikely that Fredo's actions would have occured whilst Vito was still alive but do you think Vito would have agreed with Micheals handling of the situation?

Re: Vito and Fredo [Re: Immobiliare] #608044
07/16/11 11:39 AM
07/16/11 11:39 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
The novel points out that one of the reasons Vito retired was because he couldn't bring himself to do what had to be done: murder Carlo. If he couldn't murder his son-in-law, he surely couldn't have murdered his son. Vito was all about family.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Vito and Fredo [Re: Immobiliare] #608048
07/16/11 12:13 PM
07/16/11 12:13 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I think Vito would have advised Michael to banish Fredo, not kill him. That was purely Michael acting.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Vito and Fredo [Re: Sonny_Black] #608050
07/16/11 12:38 PM
07/16/11 12:38 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I agree with Sonny and Oli. But, as in Carlo's case, Vito would understand that once he was gone, his word was no longer binding on Michael, and that Michael would do what he had to do.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Vito and Fredo [Re: Immobiliare] #608086
07/16/11 06:23 PM
07/16/11 06:23 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline OP
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline OP
I
Made Member
I'll admit I haven't actually read the novel but have heard various bits and pieces about it. What was Carlo's exact role in Sonny's murder? Did he know it was going to be a hit? If yes, then I find it strange that Vito couldn't bring himself to participate in Carlo's death - did he atleast agree that Carlo should be killed but just did not want to be the one that has to make that decision ultimately?

Good comparison beteen Carlo's death and Fredo's - I think Vito's reaction/handling of Carlo should provide good insight into what he would have advised Micheal to do with Fredo. Perhaps he would have agreed that he needed to be killed. Lets not forget that Fredo's actions and treachery led to Micheal being an inch away from death - I don't think its completely unfeasible that Vito would have decided that Fredo deserved a fate atleast as bad. Of course the eternal question of wether or not Fredo 'knew it was a hit' comes to the fore...

Re: Vito and Fredo [Re: Immobiliare] #608117
07/16/11 11:04 PM
07/16/11 11:04 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: Immobiliare
I'll admit I haven't actually read the novel but have heard various bits and pieces about it. What was Carlo's exact role in Sonny's murder? Did he know it was going to be a hit?

The novel notes that Sonny's beating of Carlo was observed by someone who was connected to the Tattaglias. Then, as we learn at the end of the film, Barzini contacted Carlo. He knew that, since Carlo's first beating of Connie caused Sonny to rush out of the Compound, a second beating--timed by Barzini and Carlo--would bring Sonny out again, and into an ambush.

Quote:
Of course the eternal question of wether or not Fredo 'knew it was a hit' comes to the fore...

"Eternal" may be an understatement. That's one of the most discussed topics on this board. Do a search and you'll see.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Vito and Fredo [Re: Immobiliare] #608141
07/17/11 07:15 AM
07/17/11 07:15 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: Immobiliare
I find it strange that Vito couldn't bring himself to participate in Carlo's death - did he atleast agree that Carlo should be killed but just did not want to be the one that has to make that decision ultimately?

Basically. The novel makes it clear that pretty much everyone (Tom, Michael, Vito and Mama Corleone, likely Connie) knew of Carlo's treachery but pretended not to know. This is why Connie asked Michael to be Godfather to her child and in book was constantly seeking (via Kay) some affirmation from Michael that Carlo was doing a good job and well-liked.

In book Vito never speaks about Carlo's planned demise openly but Michael says everything is in place; it's the right decision and that he takes all responsibility. Vito says something along the lines of "good b/c there's some things even he can't do." Tom later confirms to Kay that Vito was in an impossible position. In order to avenge his son he had to murder his son-in-law. Even though Vito approved, by Michael taking responsibility (helped immensely by Vito's death) Michael took the brunt of Connie's rage, spite and grief.
Per book Connie was arguably his favorite child so Vito didn't want to hurt her like that.

Carlo's murder had to be simultaneous with or after the murders of the other victims otherwise it would have tipped them off. So Vito and Michael had to wait.

I don't think Vito ever would have countenanced or advised the murder of his children. Of course if Vito were still around Fredo would not have had the resentments he had nor would Roth have thought he could get to the Corleones via Fredo. I do think that Vito might have been a bit more solicitous or even aware of Fredo's feelings and have found an oblique method of dealing with them.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Vito and Fredo [Re: Immobiliare] #608202
07/17/11 05:53 PM
07/17/11 05:53 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Sometimes I think we discredit Fredo too much. In the film he carries a gun (yes, I can anticipate your guffaws about that) which, since Luca needed a license to carry one, we assume that Fredo was licensed also. According to the novel, Vito concluded that Fredo had a genius for running a hotel and even considered this a reward. Also, in GFII, Fredo has "men", a crew I suppose and he does run at least one brothel. Further, he is trusted to transport $2 million from the US to Cuba. Of course, if he is the drapes man and is otherwise in cahoots with Ola and Roth, it took his being intoxicated and off-guard to reveal his conspiratorial complicity. Prior to that, he kept his secret.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Vito and Fredo [Re: olivant] #608260
07/18/11 08:36 AM
07/18/11 08:36 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: olivant
Sometimes I think we discredit Fredo too much. In the film he carries a gun (yes, I can anticipate your guffaws about that)

smile
In film, if Fredo had been able to fire a couple of shots during the assassination attempt, I think he would have hit Vito.. whistle

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull