GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (The_Marble_Guy, mike68, 1 invisible), 269 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,892
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,689
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Clemenza in GFII #607782
07/14/11 01:51 PM
07/14/11 01:51 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline OP
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline OP
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
If Clemenza hadn't suffered a "heartattack", appeared in GFII, do you think he would have followed the same story line as Frankie Pentangeli, or would the part be different. I seem to lean toward toward Clemenza remaining loyal. Of course there would have to be another rat, to justify the Senate committee hearing.

Last edited by johnny ola; 07/14/11 01:52 PM.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: johnny ola] #607783
07/14/11 02:02 PM
07/14/11 02:02 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I believe this subject was the topic of another thread. To reiterate though, I don't think that GF audiences would have tolerated Clemenza as anything except the penultimate loyalist. Clemenza in the traitor role would have been, at least, disturbing, if not an outright insult. The story line could have remained the same with someone else in the traitor role.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: olivant] #607786
07/14/11 02:09 PM
07/14/11 02:09 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline OP
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline OP
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Originally Posted By: olivant
I believe this subject was the topic of another thread. To reiterate though, I don't think that GF audiences would have tolerated Clemenza as anything except the penultimate loyalist. Clemenza in the traitor role would have been, at least, disturbing, if not an outright insult. The story line could have remained the same with someone else in the traitor role.

I sort of thought this was discussed before. Was there any mention of who would have been the traitor? My best guess would be Willie Cicci.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: johnny ola] #607787
07/14/11 02:12 PM
07/14/11 02:12 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I don't recall. However, I think that most of the discussion was about another direction that the plot would have taken.

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: johnny ola] #607872
07/15/11 05:30 AM
07/15/11 05:30 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
From the storyline of GF2 which placed a strong emphasis on young Clemenza and from the correspondence between Castellano and FFC, I think it's very clear that one of the great shockers of GF2 would have been that Clemenza turned traitor after having been nearly killed by the Rosatos.
The party scenes with Pentangeli were obviously written for Clemenza. We remember him very well dancing the Tarantella in GF1. Thus - the ridiculous contrast in GF2 when the play "Pop Goes the Weasel". All those party scenes - the drinking scenes, the deleted "I show you a trick" scene, champaign cocktails, "He never trusted Roth" (Roth had been introduced by Clemenza) - were meant to show the alienation and frustration of Clemenza.

The Clemenza story in GF2 would have been: How can become the most loyal friend a traitor? It still works OK with Pentangeli, but there's no meaty background story about apart from some hints that he "worked with Michael's father".

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: johnny ola] #607885
07/15/11 08:43 AM
07/15/11 08:43 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Clemenza turning traitor would have been horrible and not very plausible. He was a real oldtimer who believed in the old ways. I would never see Clemenza turn.

And another thing which I consider somewhat sloppy writing is that clemenza promised the Rosato brothers three territories "after he died".

Clemenza died of a heart attack, no? How could he have known that he would die anytime soon and therefore promise the Rosatos territories after his death? It was not like he was suffering from any terminal decease...

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: Sonny_Black] #607912
07/15/11 11:24 AM
07/15/11 11:24 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I agree. Audiences would never have bought Clemenza in those Frankie scenes.

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: olivant] #607924
07/15/11 12:48 PM
07/15/11 12:48 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

It turned out for the best that Castellano's demand for money was denied by FFC and the Pentangeli character was created, if for no other reason because of the outstanding performance.

Those close to Michael were hand picked by him, namely Rocco and Neri. Tom was a brother (sort of) which explains his being held over, even though he was effectively demoted by Michael, which left Frankie as the only one who was Vito's man.

It had to be a non- Michael person to be the traitor, such as
Frankie was...don't forget he thought michael tried to kill him, he thought Michael was giving his loyalty to Roth and not his "own blood," plus he was looking at a life in prison if he didn't turn state's evidence. When he did he thought he had nothing to lose.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: johnny ola] #607926
07/15/11 01:07 PM
07/15/11 01:07 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Obviously, Clemenza had a very different personality than Pentangeli,so you couldn't have plunked him down into what GFII became and had it work.

But Clemenza turning on Michael wouldn't have been unbelievable in and of itself. And it would have added a poignancy that Pentangeli's betrayal lacked.

Clemenza was the ultimate loyalist, and a beloved "uncle" to Michael, so him turning would have again showed how Michael lost his family while building his Family.

And it would have foreshadowed Fredo's fate.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: dontomasso] #607927
07/15/11 01:11 PM
07/15/11 01:11 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Yes, after Castellano's departure, a new plot direction and a new character with whom the audience was completely unfamiliar was necessary. I for one would have been quite uncomfortable with Clemenza as a traitor. That's why I state that FFC would never have built a script around him in such a role. But Frankie was unfamiliar to us and a candidate for the traitor role.

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: johnny ola] #608017
07/16/11 05:34 AM
07/16/11 05:34 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
The trilogy came up with lots of surprises. Before the death of Vito nobody would have thought that Tessio would turn traitor. He was an oldtimer just like Clemenza.
And from what we saw in GF, it would have been "implausible" that Michael would have his own brother killed. "Audiences would never have bought that".
The whole film GF2 is to show how Michael isolates himself more and more from the people who meant something to him: His brother, his wife, and the last friend of his father.

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: Danito] #608022
07/16/11 05:51 AM
07/16/11 05:51 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I want to first point out that Clemenza was my favorite character from the trilogy and the thought of him turning on and betraying the Corleone Family is repulsive to me. I don't want to think it could ever happen BUT I do think it would have happened if Castellano appeared in Part II.

Part II was about change; how times had changed loyalties whether we liked it or not.

One other point, as I see it.... FFC left Clemenza's death vague on purpose. It was FFC's way of getting back on Castellano for not coming to his terms on appearing in Part II, just as FFC didn't include the photographs of Brando and Castellano on the crime charts in Part II's Senate hearing scene. FFC is a vengeful fuck.

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: SC] #608045
07/16/11 12:07 PM
07/16/11 12:07 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: SC
One other point, as I see it.... FFC left Clemenza's death vague on purpose. It was FFC's way of getting back on Castellano for not coming to his terms on appearing in Part II, just as FFC didn't include the photographs of Brando and Castellano on the crime charts in Part II's Senate hearing scene. FFC is a vengeful fuck.

I always thought they weren't included on the chart due to legal issues..

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: Sonny_Black] #608060
07/16/11 01:01 PM
07/16/11 01:01 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Originally Posted By: SC

I always thought they weren't included on the chart due to legal issues..

True, if their imagies were used then they would have to be paided. Thus the birthday scene without Brando....

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: johnny ola] #608566
07/20/11 04:29 PM
07/20/11 04:29 PM
D
DonJon Offline
Button
DonJon  Offline
D
Button
Well if Vito and Clemenza were dead, why would the government include them in their charts, or care 2 cents worth about them?

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: DonJon] #608567
07/20/11 04:37 PM
07/20/11 04:37 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: DonJon
Well if Vito and Clemenza were dead, why would the government include them in their charts, or care 2 cents worth about them?

For movie purposes only as they were "known characters" to the viewer. If they weren't included people would then have asked why they weren't included.

My interpreration of the chart is that it was Michael's faction/Rocco's regime in Nevada. The Corleone family could never have only 30 made men. But to include like 250 members (which is what the most powerful family in the country would have) was ofcourse too much work for the makers of the film.

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: DonJon] #608616
07/21/11 09:38 AM
07/21/11 09:38 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally Posted By: DonJon

They were included on the chart, as were Sonny and Tessio.

The difference is that there were no photos of Clemenza or Vito. This was clearly due to the need to pay the actors if their images were used.

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: johnny ola] #608643
07/21/11 01:28 PM
07/21/11 01:28 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline
I
Made Member
As both Clemenza'a and Tessio's loyalties were mainly with Vito I find it strange that people cannot envisage Clemenza also turning traitor.

It would have been years after Vito's death that Clemenza betrayal would have occured, so for me is even more believable than Tessio betraying the family on the day of Vito's funeral.

Also, Tom certainly thought that Clemenza had it in him to turn traitor - ' I always thought it would have been Clemenza'.

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: johnny ola] #608645
07/21/11 01:56 PM
07/21/11 01:56 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well, ya'll are forgetting that Frankie betrayed Mike because he thought Mike tried to murder him. In the same situation, Clemenza might have betrayed him also. But between them, it was only Clemenza that we know had sworn fealty to Michael(final scene of I). So, without his attempted murder by Michael, I find no basis for Clemenza's betrayal.

Also, I would think that it is typical of movie contracts that representations of players can be used in sequels. Afterall, Clemenza is referenced in at least two scenes. So, I don't find arguments about using his and Vito's pictures convincing.

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: olivant] #608647
07/21/11 02:09 PM
07/21/11 02:09 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline
I
Made Member
Well, ya'll are forgetting that Frankie betrayed Mike because he thought Mike tried to murder him. In the same situation, Clemenza might have betrayed him also. But between them, it was only Clemenza that we know had sworn fealty to Michael(final scene of I). So, without his attempted murder by Michael, I find no basis for Clemenza's betrayal.

Also, I would think that it is typical of movie contracts that representations of players can be used in sequels. Afterall, Clemenza is referenced in at least two scenes. So, I don't find arguments about using his and Vito's pictures convincing.

You make good points in your first paragraph.

Regarding your second paragraph: I think there may be some distinction between referencing a characters name, ie Clemenza, and using a characters/actors photo. I may be wrong though but I'll see if I can find the relevant legal documentation to confirm this, must be somewhere on the net...

Last edited by Immobiliare; 07/21/11 02:13 PM.
Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: olivant] #608649
07/21/11 02:23 PM
07/21/11 02:23 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA

There are certainly situations below attempted murder that could have caused Clemenza to turn. Perhaps something as simple as non-support while his territories were chiseled away, combined with a deaf ear to his complaints.

As to the contracts, I don't know what a standard SAG contract looks like but I frequently am involved in contract negotiaions with other types of performers and I have some knowledge of contracts involving SAG's partner union AFTRA. Based on that, I find it highly unlikely that a standard actor's contract would include a clause as you describe. Since sequels were far less prevalent in the 1970s, I find it even less likely that it would have beeen standard then.

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: johnny ola] #608654
07/21/11 02:55 PM
07/21/11 02:55 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Don't agree at all. There is nothing to support Frankie's betrayal until he thought that Mike tried to murder him (in fact, Frankie complied with Mike's instruction to meet with the Rosatos). There was no other percentage in Frankie's betrayal. Who was he betraying Michael to? Another family? No. The feds. In exchange for what? A lighter sentence? Frankie? The old-timer immersed in omerta. I don't think so.

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: olivant] #608673
07/21/11 04:46 PM
07/21/11 04:46 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Don't agree at all. There is nothing to support Frankie's betrayal until he thought that Mike tried to murder him (in fact, Frankie complied with Mike's instruction to meet with the Rosatos).

Frankly, I would never see Clemenza in that situation being garroted by the Rosato brothers. Clemenza would never agree to meet them like that in the first place. He was smarter than Frankie and must have had too much respect as he was one of the highest ranking members in the Corleone family for over 30 years. Frankie was seen as "small potatoes". wink

It's like the Gallo brothers trying to garrot Carlo Gambino. It would never happen. If it would have happened like that in Part II, the movie would probably have failed.

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: olivant] #608676
07/21/11 04:55 PM
07/21/11 04:55 PM
I
Immobiliare Offline
Made Member
Immobiliare  Offline
I
Made Member
Don't agree at all. There is nothing to support Frankie's betrayal until he thought that Mike tried to murder him (in fact, Frankie complied with Mike's instruction to meet with the Rosatos). There was no other percentage in Frankie's betrayal. Who was he betraying Michael to? Another family? No. The feds. In exchange for what? A lighter sentence? Frankie? The old-timer immersed in omerta. I don't think so.

Yea its hard to disagree with this. The betrayal showwn by Frankie was completely different to Tessio's betrayal. The main player in Frankie treachery was Roth, who lets not forget 'engineered it'.

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: johnny ola] #608810
07/23/11 04:10 AM
07/23/11 04:10 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
The loyalty of the Pentangeli/Clemenza character had been challenged by Michael before the murder attempt: No help with the Rosato brothers problem, a non-Italian life-style, deals with Roth.
So, the murder attempt was the final drop.

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: Danito] #608817
07/23/11 08:26 AM
07/23/11 08:26 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Danito
The loyalty of the Pentangeli/Clemenza character had been challenged by Michael before the murder attempt: No help with the Rosato brothers problem,

Clemenza had nog quarrels with the Rosato brothers; he even offered them three territories in the Bronx. wink

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: johnny ola] #609206
07/27/11 03:54 PM
07/27/11 03:54 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Again, while the Pentangeli storyline would not fit Clemenza, I don't see why people think he would never have turned on Michael.

The overriding theme of Michael's donship was his driving away of those closest to him, whether well-versed in Omerta or not. Tessio, Altobello, Kay, etc. Why would Clemenza be immune to this?

While I, too, like Clemenza and would have been ripped apart to see him betray Michael, that would have been an even more compelling storyline than a previously unknown character do so.

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: SC] #609228
07/27/11 09:02 PM
07/27/11 09:02 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz
I don't see why people think he would never have turned on Michael.
Why would Clemenza be immune to this?

Because Tessio was always smarter.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: johnny ola] #609247
07/28/11 06:02 AM
07/28/11 06:02 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
When Castellano finally said no, Coppolla wrote in his letter:
"I wrote the part for you but now I'm forced to change his name to Willie Cicci. ... and just anoter actor play it. He will arrive in the first scene, be introduced as an old time affiliateof Don Corleone's in Brooklyn... and the role will wiork exactly as it did for Clemenza. Out of respect for you, I will not call him Clemenza. (...)"
This tells me, that the basic storyline hasn't changed so much, especially the betrayal. However, they changed Cicci, and called the guy Pentangeli.

Re: Clemenza in GFII [Re: Danito] #609250
07/28/11 08:48 AM
07/28/11 08:48 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Cicci was in the first movie, so I don't know what Coppola was talking about.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull