GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (CleanBandit, 1 invisible), 310 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,892
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,673
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
10 Years...! #607593
07/13/11 02:32 AM
07/13/11 02:32 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Wow; crazy! This incarnation of the BB has been around for 10 years now! eek Just before 9/11 (even though it seems we've been around well longer than that tragedy)

We've had our great times, and our trying times -- but all in all, like any "family" situation, this has been ingrained in me and is always considered "home" cool

People come and go -- whether we want them to or not lol -- but I must say, y'all are a great bunch, and thanks for 10 years -- almost a quarter of my life?!! Egads!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: 10 Years...! [Re: J Geoff] #607595
07/13/11 03:21 AM
07/13/11 03:21 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

This September will be my 7th year as a member, i dont post as much as i used to but do visit most days. I've very much enjoyed my time here..

Here's to 10 more years..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: 10 Years...! [Re: J Geoff] #607600
07/13/11 04:27 AM
07/13/11 04:27 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Time flies.... it sure doesn't seem like it's been ten years!

For some of our newer members ~ the Godfather board before this was in a completely different format. It was very visually appealing (black background with red letters) but it was quite chaotic. One did not have to "login" to post a message or to make a reply and that freedom lead to a lot of flaming. These new boards (in this current format) requires a member to register before being able to post.

Geoff opened "the books" for all members shortly before midnight on July 13, 2001 and it was the following day that these boards opened for messages.

We've shared a lot of stuff here in those ten years. My favorite things have always been sharing our experiences and it became quite emotional at times. We've said goodbye to a few members whose time here on earth was over. We shared the loss of spouses, parents, siblings other family members and beloved pets. But as the cycle of life continues, we also celebrated new life here.

Many of us took solace here during catastrophic events (the terrorist attacks of September 11th may have been the Board's single most powerful time).

The best thing that came out of the first ten years, for me, is having the opportunity to have made some friends.

Re: 10 Years...! [Re: SC] #607602
07/13/11 04:49 AM
07/13/11 04:49 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
From ten years, my favorite post was plawrence's awesome poem doing a takeoff of "Twas the Night Before Christmas". If you have never read it, check it out now with the link below:

plawrence's "The Night of the Hit Attempt" - CLICK HERE

My favorite of my own messages was a takeoff of a fight between plawrence and Turnbull. Here's a link, below:

plawrence vs Turnbull = CLICK HERE

Re: 10 Years...! [Re: SC] #607610
07/13/11 08:40 AM
07/13/11 08:40 AM
Upstate, New York
CamillusDon Offline
CamillusDon  Offline

Upstate, New York
TEN YEARS! YIKES!

If it is one thing that we have learned from history-

That you just can't stop that damn clock from ticking on by.

Happy Anniversary Don Geoff!

Good Health to all!

"Well, old friend, are you ready to do me this service?"

"I believe in America. America has made my fortune."
Re: 10 Years...! [Re: SC] #607612
07/13/11 08:43 AM
07/13/11 08:43 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
SC,

Those were, of course, excellent. But there was also the (in)famous "Joe the Greek" discussion in this thread:

Fanucci and Maranzano

Another classic from plawrence. Pure evil. And hysterically funny.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: 10 Years...! [Re: SC] #607622
07/13/11 10:52 AM
07/13/11 10:52 AM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline
Underboss
Fame  Offline
Underboss
Top o' the World
Originally Posted By: SC

My favorite of my own messages was a takeoff of a fight between plawrence and Turnbull.

That's a good one grin

If I had to choose one of yours from the top of my head, then I would probably go with your childhood story about helping your dad with the jukebox business. I've got a soft spot for nostalgia. Here's the link:

http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=540089#Post540089

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: 10 Years...! [Re: J Geoff] #607625
07/13/11 11:09 AM
07/13/11 11:09 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Dearest Geoff, Thank you so much for this wonderful place that has brought me such dear friends - plawrence my prince, my BoyToy DMC, my girls Beth and TIS, CabanaBoy Geoff and my little sister Gina, just to name a FEW of the dear friends I've come to know over the years. As SC so eloquently said, we've come here in times of joy and sorrow, and it has been a place of refuge for many years.

Thank you, my dear. And I'm STILL waiting for my invitation! When's the Limoncello going to be ready??

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: 10 Years...! [Re: J Geoff] #607626
07/13/11 11:10 AM
07/13/11 11:10 AM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline
Underboss
Fame  Offline
Underboss
Top o' the World
2 years ago I posted a list of memorable threads and asked you all to add your links as well. Now will be a good time to remember. Feel free to add anything great from the last couple of years. Here's the link:

http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=542344#Post542344

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: 10 Years...! [Re: Fame] #607638
07/13/11 12:15 PM
07/13/11 12:15 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Ten years already? eek I have to go through the nostalgia threads you guys posted here but wanted to get my thoughts here first.

For me it will be 10 years in April. A whole decade! Whoa!! While deliberately searching for GF info came across this site. I posted, was warmly greeted by great people, some whom I have developed true friendships with both in person and on-line.

I started out calling myself AnnT but saw what great names others had chosen. When I was fairly new, a member who called himself "Eddie The Plumber" pm'd me and I thought, "wow what a great gangster name. After seeing such original and cool names I thought I should come up with something better so I changed my name and the rest is history. lol

We've shared a lot here guys and this board has become a home of sorts, to many of us. Heck even Camillus Don came out of hiding....and that's something. wink

Geoff, thank you for giving us this entertaining fun site to hang out it. You're da man!!!!!!

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: 10 Years...! [Re: J Geoff] #607639
07/13/11 12:30 PM
07/13/11 12:30 PM
Upstate, New York
CamillusDon Offline
CamillusDon  Offline

Upstate, New York

The Summer of 01-
Seems to me that I recall that we had member numbers back when we first started?

Most of the guys used DON---- in there names or took the names of the people who were in the book or movie.
Such as Don Cardi, Don Siclia and then there was Turnbull (who was a good man whistle) who always posted great posts.

The gals didn't. You had BethE of course and AppleonYa and Saladbar.
I see BethE and AppleonYa on here still.

The boards were plain, no avatars, just names. Everything was new to us back then and it seems like we spent hours on here each day.
This kind of getting together on the "world wide web" was fresh and so interesting. Talking to people from all over the country.
Things were so much slower and the computer cost so much more. In fact I think were use to pay by the hour for service. lol

lol Nurse is it time for lunch yet? lol

Re: 10 Years...! [Re: CamillusDon] #607640
07/13/11 12:35 PM
07/13/11 12:35 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Ten great years! I don't know what I would have done without the Boards--no doubt my decrepitude would have accelerated.
Thanks, Geoff! And thanks to all who make the Boards the best place on the web. smile

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: 10 Years...! [Re: J Geoff] #607642
07/13/11 12:40 PM
07/13/11 12:40 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

My GF knowledge is now advanced due to spending hours reading all the in-depth discussions on here..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: 10 Years...! [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #607643
07/13/11 12:42 PM
07/13/11 12:42 PM
Upstate, New York
CamillusDon Offline
CamillusDon  Offline

Upstate, New York
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I started out calling myself AnnT but saw what great names others had chosen. When I was fairly new, a member who called himself "Eddie The Plumber" pm'd me and I thought, "wow what a great gangster name. After seeing such original and cool names I thought I should come up with something better so I changed my name and the rest is history. lol

We've shared a lot here guys and this board has become a home of sorts, to many of us. Heck even Camillus Don came out of hiding....and that's something. wink

Geoff, thank you for giving us this entertaining fun site to hang out it. You're da man!!!!!!

TIS

lol That is right, AnnT lol....and then the rules changed so you couldn't keep taking a new name after a period of time. People would open new accounts then and Don Geoff would get mad. Was Don Geoff paying by the member back then?

It seemed like we had to delete things so the space that he had wouldn't get filled and slow things down to a crawl.
Then everyone wanted pictures and that started a whole new set of problems. lol

Re: 10 Years...! [Re: CamillusDon] #607649
07/13/11 01:27 PM
07/13/11 01:27 PM
California

California
I just scanned thru the BB threads you guys posted. What memories. PLaw's Night Before Christmas is a true work of art from our dear Paul.

The radio show with Geoff I remember well. I called in (at least on one of them. Did he do two?). I was very nervous being on air but it was fun. smile But Geoff was "our" celebrity. wink

When JustLou posted pics of the Corleone Compound that was really neat. We talked about how cool it would be to have a BB meet there. smile

Without a doubt our Don Cardi's 911 thread probably stands out the most. Although I joined after that tragedy it was still fresh enough in everyone's mind. I still get the chills reading it and only wish I could have been here to simply be with my friends during this horrific event.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: 10 Years...! [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #607678
07/13/11 05:39 PM
07/13/11 05:39 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
possibly the best forums on the internet when you want to find information on the godfather, talk with friends, and listen to delusional white sox/yankee fans.

Re: 10 Years...! [Re: BAM_233] #607737
07/14/11 08:16 AM
07/14/11 08:16 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
The best place on the internet without doubt.

Well done Geoff and all who sail in our happy ship cool

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: 10 Years...! [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #607834
07/14/11 09:28 PM
07/14/11 09:28 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Belated Happy Anniversary. Life seems to rob my GBB time. Congrats to Geoff on a truly artistic achievement. One day back in 2002 I was looking for some Godfather quotes when I stumbled upon this internet thing. Not being internet savvy (who was back then) I was protecting my identity so I thought I'd sign in as a women. I did fool a few. But in case you don't know, I'm a grandfather of twins, father of one daughter and married 40 years in September.

This place has been a respite of sorts. For a GF fan, a great place to escape to, and read some of the craziest theories on why Michael did what he did, when he did it and to whom he did it.

One summer I met TIS and Salad Bar in downtown Manhattan. Great people and a cogenial encounter. Once I was 15 minutes away from dinner in East Rutherford until my wife and daughter freaked out and thought I was going to meet up with real Mafia people.

This site has been a social encounter of the third kind. I have cyber friends I wouldn't trade for the real thing. God Bless you all and let's keep it going.

Last edited by MaryCas; 07/14/11 09:30 PM.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: 10 Years...! [Re: MaryCas] #607839
07/14/11 09:55 PM
07/14/11 09:55 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: MaryCas
Belated Happy Anniversary. Life seems to rob my GBB time. Congrats to Geoff on a truly artistic achievement. One day back in 2002 I was looking for some Godfather quotes when I stumbled upon this internet thing. Not being internet savvy (who was back then) I was protecting my identity so I thought I'd sign in as a women. I did fool a few. But in case you don't know, I'm a grandfather of twins, father of one daughter and married 40 years in September.

This place has been a respite of sorts. For a GF fan, a great place to escape to, and read some of the craziest theories on why Michael did what he did, when he did it and to whom he did it.

One summer I met TIS and Salad Bar in downtown Manhattan. Great people and a cogenial encounter. Once I was 15 minutes away from dinner in East Rutherford until my wife and daughter freaked out and thought I was going to meet up with real Mafia people.

This site has been a social encounter of the third kind. I have cyber friends I wouldn't trade for the real thing. God Bless you all and let's keep it going.

wait a minute your a guy? should have named your self sue then lol.

Re: 10 Years...! [Re: BAM_233] #607841
07/14/11 10:28 PM
07/14/11 10:28 PM
California

California
Originally Posted By: BAM_233
Originally Posted By: MaryCas

wait a minute your a guy? should have named your self sue then lol.

LOL lol Bam, I certainly understand how you'd think he was a woman. Although he has noted before that he a guy.

MC, I recall that meeting as well. You met us right as we got off the elevator at Battery Park if I recall. I was glad cause I was afraid of getting lost. smile

Along with the others, I also met Don's Advisor that visit as well, remember him? Nice young man.

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 07/14/11 10:36 PM.

Re: 10 Years...! [Re: J Geoff] #607874
07/15/11 05:40 AM
07/15/11 05:40 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Thanks to all who established this board and to those who keep it running.

Re: 10 Years...! [Re: Danito] #607901
07/15/11 10:04 AM
07/15/11 10:04 AM
California

California
One of my favorite "memories" on the BB is how absolutely dedicated all of us Soprano fans were when it aired on HBO. That thread lit up like a Vegas Casino lol and everyone was sharing their thoughts. We didn't even wait til the particular episode was finished. We'd post "as we watched." And if it was a major storyline????? Wow!! lol That was fun!!!

TIS

Re: 10 Years...! [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #607929
07/15/11 01:23 PM
07/15/11 01:23 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
You know TIS, after years of couseling and medication, I had just about kicked my Sopranos dependency ... until your post. Now I'm sweating, have got palpitations, and I'm frantically cruising through the cable guide to find Sopranos reruns. Madonne!

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: 10 Years...! [Re: olivant] #607930
07/15/11 01:32 PM
07/15/11 01:32 PM
California

California
Oli,

I didn't have HBO until the 2nd or third (?) season. I had watched the first/second on video and immediately got HBO to continue watching. I was hooked.

Well, it was on at 9:00 p.m. EST but the West Coast HBO it was three hours later. I hated that I couldn't chime in and would check the board (without really reading the posts cause I didn't want to get any spoilers). I wanted to see how busy it was and it was always hopping. LOL HOWEVER, after doing that for I don't know how many weeks, I realized I had several HBO's that included the East Coast HBO which came on at 6:00 p.m. my time. Duh!!!! tongue I was so glad.

Maybe it's time for at least a Soprano's movie hu????? Call me sentimental, but I miss the ol gang of mafioso. lol

TIS

Re: 10 Years...! [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #607932
07/15/11 01:43 PM
07/15/11 01:43 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Maybe it's time for at least a Soprano's movie hu????? Call me sentimental, but I miss the ol gang of mafioso. lol

TIS

Well, I have to admit that once in awhile I feed my Sopranos addiction. But I also have to admit that, now, watching it in reruns I no longer have the same feelings toward the characters. Now I view them as representative of those type of people - the scum of society. For that reason, it's no longer as enjoyable as it was when originally broadcast.

Re: 10 Years...! [Re: olivant] #607943
07/15/11 02:51 PM
07/15/11 02:51 PM
California

California
Oli,

I have all the seasons EXCEPT Season Six, Part II. I haven't seen The Sopranos since it went off so I could be ready to get into it again. smile

TIS

Re: 10 Years...! [Re: J Geoff] #607953
07/15/11 04:51 PM
07/15/11 04:51 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Come on, oli, watch it one more time. You might spot Ade's death. smile

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: 10 Years...! [Re: J Geoff] #607954
07/15/11 04:52 PM
07/15/11 04:52 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
TIS, do you get A&E? It carries the reruns every morning and early afternoon CST.

Re: 10 Years...! [Re: olivant] #607955
07/15/11 05:00 PM
07/15/11 05:00 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: olivant
TIS, do you get A&E? It carries the reruns every morning and early afternoon CST.

did saturday night live or madtv made fun of A&E ruruns of the sopranos censoring.

Re: 10 Years...! [Re: olivant] #607956
07/15/11 05:04 PM
07/15/11 05:04 PM
California

California
Oli,

I do get A&E and I know it's on but avoid watching it because they chop it up, deleting a lot of scenes. Not to sound like I am a real potty mouth, but seeing Tony Soprano say "What the fudge" (ie) is really laughable. LOL lol

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 07/15/11 05:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull