GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Havana), 82 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,168
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,389
Posts1,059,835
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Frankie Pentangeli #38162
04/23/06 12:07 PM
04/23/06 12:07 PM
New Jersey
Obsessed With The GodFather Offline OP
Capo
Obsessed With The GodFather  Offline OP
Capo
New Jersey
I am watching the GF Marathon, & just finished watching the scene with Frankie Pentangeli with the senate committee.
I have seen this scene over 100X & never tire of Michael V. Gazzo's- performance in that extraordinary scene!

lol My TV is solid GF This Week-end

Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash Fan!
Re: Frankie Pentangeli #38163
04/23/06 12:14 PM
04/23/06 12:14 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Nor I, and in any scene that Gazzo was in. IMO, he makes GFII--"Everyman as Don."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Frankie Pentangeli #38164
04/23/06 12:22 PM
04/23/06 12:22 PM
New Jersey
Capo
Capo
New Jersey
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Nor I, and in any scene that Gazzo was in. IMO, he makes GFII--"Everyman as Don."
I second that! wink

Re: Frankie Pentangeli #38165
04/23/06 12:26 PM
04/23/06 12:26 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
I often think of you Turnbull, when watching the Frank Pentangelli scenes...of your statement of him being your favorite character, as well as (if memory serves) Gazzo's portrayal being nearly perfect.

There are times I wonder if Frankie truly had to die once the Senate hearings were overwith and Michael won. Unlike Fredo, who betrayed Michael out of envy and jealousy...Frankie turned only because he was duped into believing that Michael betrayed him first. After being picked up by the police he almost had no choice. But I suppose there was no other way for him, no more future with the Corleone Family and no government protection once he held out at the hearings.

Of course, poor Frankie was used by both sides and paid the ultimate price.

frown

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Frankie Pentangeli #38166
04/23/06 12:28 PM
04/23/06 12:28 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
True, Apple, he really didn't have to die. But his death served three purposes: 1) denouement of a life gone off the track (as you said); 2) more proof of Michael's obsession with control and with never giving an enemy a pass (even though Frankie wasn't really an enemy at that point); and 3) dramatic device to set up that wonderful visit-with-Tom scene.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Frankie Pentangeli #38167
04/23/06 12:36 PM
04/23/06 12:36 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
...and 3) dramatic device to set up that wonderful visit-with-Tom scene.
Best reason of all wink !!

In fact, it was when I really, really paid attention to the dialogue in this scene that I began to truly appreciate GFII on its own, apart from 'The Godfather'.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Frankie Pentangeli #38168
04/23/06 12:41 PM
04/23/06 12:41 PM
New Jersey
Capo
Capo
New Jersey
True, Apple, he really didn't have to die. But his death served three purposes: 1) denouement of a life gone off the track (as you said); 2) more proof of Michael's obsession with control and with never giving an enemy a pass (even though Frankie wasn't really an enemy at that point); and 3) dramatic device to set up that wonderful visit-with-Tom scene.
So well posted Turnbull!
Frankie will always have a special place in my heart.

Re: Frankie Pentangeli #38169
04/23/06 01:37 PM
04/23/06 01:37 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:

There are times I wonder if Frankie truly had to die once the Senate hearings were over with and Michael won. Unlike Fredo, who betrayed Michael out of envy and jealousy...Frankie turned only because he was duped into believing that Michael betrayed him first. After being picked up by the police he almost had no choice.
Of course, poor Frankie was used by both sides and paid the ultimate price.

frown

Apple
The bottom line is that he willingly and knowingly broke the sacred omerta, and he was wlling to turn rat.

Had Michael given him a pass because Franlie "almost had no choice," what kind of a message would that have sent to the other soldiers and capos under Michael? Had Micahel given Frankie a pass, it would have been a recipe for disaster.

Under the prinicipals of gangsterdom, he betrayed Michael's trust, regardless of if he had a choice or not, and therefore he had to go.

The "pass" that he was given was that he, Frankie, could save the family honor by taking himself out, and allow his family to continue to be provided for.

Michael did the right thing.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Frankie Pentangeli #38170
04/23/06 02:21 PM
04/23/06 02:21 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Of course you are right, Don Cardi. As with Fredo wink , Michael did do the 'right thing' with regard to Pentangelli. Only in this case...he really didn't have to do anything except send Tom to visit and confirm the inevitable.

Still though, because of the circumstances that led to his situation, Frankie's demise is the saddest of all those who betrayed Michael.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Frankie Pentangeli #38171
04/23/06 02:35 PM
04/23/06 02:35 PM
england
anthony lee Offline
Made Member
anthony lee  Offline
Made Member
england
Pentangeli was definitely one of my favourite characters in the trilogy , he's up there with Vito lol, it was sad for him to die but it proved his character was willing to be loyal to michael again and he loved his family frown bless him lol

IN MY HOME!IN MY BEDROOM WHERE MY WIFE SLEEPS!where my children come to play with their toys...
Re: Frankie Pentangeli #38172
04/23/06 02:38 PM
04/23/06 02:38 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
He was a stand-up character in that life. He did exactly what he should have -- based on what he knew at the time. Frankie's only flaw is that he didn't know the entire story -- and that is through no fault of his own. He's a excellent example of a tragic character.

Re: Frankie Pentangeli #38173
04/23/06 03:40 PM
04/23/06 03:40 PM
New Jersey
Capo
Capo
New Jersey
Of course you are right, Don Cardi. As with Fredo wink , Michael did do the 'right thing' with regard to Pentangelli. Only in this case...he really didn't have to do anything except send Tom to visit and confirm the inevitable.

Still though, because of the circumstances that led to his situation, Frankie's demise is the saddest of all those who betrayed Michael.

Apple
Well Said-
I agree Apple, Frankie's demise is definitely the saddest of all who betrayed Michael.

Re: Frankie Pentangeli #38174
04/24/06 10:13 AM
04/24/06 10:13 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Oh don't get me wrong ladies, I loved the Frankie character and was saddened that he had to go.

But I don't agree that he "did what he had to do" when he turned rat. In that life, you get caught, you pay the price, and you don't try to take anyone else down with you. It's the way it's "supposed" to be rolleyes and everyone knows that going in.

Unfortunately Frankie had to pay the price for what he did, there could be no forgiveness or passes given.

Frankie was absoutely one of the best and most interesting characters in the Godfather Trilogy.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Frankie Pentangeli #38175
04/24/06 11:00 AM
04/24/06 11:00 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
...I don't agree that he "did what he had to do" when he turned rat. In that life, you get caught, you pay the price, and you don't try to take anyone else down with you. ...
True, except the reason Frankie 'turned rat' was that he was led to believe Michael had double-crossed him by handing him to the Rosatto Bros. on a silver platter.
This after putting up much resistance about trusting neither the Rosatto's nor Hyman Roth.

In the end, Frankie's instincts were absolutely right.

The good news is Frankie understood exactly what he had done and knew there was no other way. Incredibly, he did choose his fate over a protected life in the Army Barracks after seeing his brother. It proved that the life he'd chosen was the only one for him...and he could not have survived any other way.

Man, I'm beginning to appreciate Frank Pentangelli more & more with every viewing!!!

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Frankie Pentangeli #38176
04/24/06 12:17 PM
04/24/06 12:17 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
True, except the reason Frankie 'turned rat' was that he was led to believe Michael had double-crossed him by handing him to the Rosatto Bros. on a silver platter.
This after putting up much resistance about trusting neither the Rosatto's nor Hyman Roth.
Yes, you are correct. But that does NOT give him the right, within the parameters of a mobster's life of course, to turn rat. If your boss decides that you must go, and you find out, you either run away and hide or try to take him out. But you don't turn rat. This is the code that they are supposed to live by. And Frankie realized it after seeing his brother, when it was too late for him of course, and as you said decided that he would not rat but instead live a life of solitary with the authorities. But the boss could never let him get away with even attempting to turn rat, even if he changed his mind at those hearings. It would have shown weakness on the part of the Corleones had they let Frankie live.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: Frankie Pentangeli #38177
04/24/06 12:20 PM
04/24/06 12:20 PM
UK
The Dr. who fixed Lucy Offline
Underboss
The Dr. who fixed Lucy  Offline
Underboss
UK
I agree that every Pantengelli scene makes compelling viewing, but only as comic relief; I don't see the "everyman" description as compelling.

GF II was only half a movie without him. But his impact was like the serious, strict teacher at school cracking a joke. Everyone laughed at its rarity and spectacle, but his appeal is only present in the context of the trilogy.

Comic relief, yes. "Everyman"? No.

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!
Re: Frankie Pentangeli #38178
04/24/06 01:12 PM
04/24/06 01:12 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Frankie was more than comic relief. He was tragic as well. Look how he ended up. He is one of my favorite characters in all three movies.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Frankie Pentangeli #38179
04/24/06 01:16 PM
04/24/06 01:16 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[QUOTE]...that does NOT give him the right, within the parameters of a mobster's life of course, to turn rat. ...
True, which is the reason I first wondered if he really HAD to die and then surmized that after what he did, even considering the circumstances, yes, he did. There was no other way and he knew it.

An indication of how hopeless Frankie knew the situation was, even before laying eyes on his brother at the hearings...was when he stated his life wouldn't be 'worth a nickel' after testifying. He also lamented that Michael did not plead the Fifth Amendment even though he had been assured that that would happen.

Frankie knew. He knew.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Frankie Pentangeli #38180
04/25/06 12:02 PM
04/25/06 12:02 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
I'm jonesing on some Frankie Pentangeli right about now too. Loved that guy. Also love how he wasn't to uppity to drink from a garden hose. Nice touch.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull