GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (joepuzzles234, 1 invisible), 275 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,679
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,202
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,519
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,390
Posts1,059,984
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
True Love #606052
06/22/11 11:26 PM
06/22/11 11:26 PM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline OP
Underboss
Fame  Offline OP
Underboss
Top o' the World
Seriously, what is TRUE love?

Can love be untrue?
What's the difference between "love" and "true love" if indeed there's some difference?

It's just that lately I heard it quite a lot, and then last week I watched "The Princess Bride" with my gf, and they keep saying Westley and Buttercup shared "true love". What makes their love more true than any other couple in love?

Is 'true love' a term used only between couples? can one true love his parents, true love his friends?

I love my gf. She loves me. We love each other. That's the truth. Do we then share true love? if that wasn't true we wouldnt have loved each other in the first place...

So...to sum things up, is "true" no more than an adjective meant to glorify the word "love" or does it actually have some meaning?

Has anyone here loved someone and true loved someone, and perhaps can explain the differences?

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: True Love [Re: Fame] #606058
06/22/11 11:47 PM
06/22/11 11:47 PM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
Yeah, I've wondered the same thing many times myself. I've heard people say true love is unconditional, the purest form of love. It may be that, I really don't know. I've been in love one time in my life, but the whole thing is really confusing to me lol. If you love your girlfriend, that should be good enough.

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008
Re: True Love [Re: Fame] #606063
06/23/11 12:30 AM
06/23/11 12:30 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

You can "love" Chinese food, Mustangs, the Mets, and the girl next door (whether you're dating her or not). But it's not "true love" as a parent should have for their children, or a person should have for their "soul mate" partner.

Sure, one can "love" his (current, #5?) girlfriend. In time you might discover if it's "true" or not (remember, "love is blind" so there's fake true love, if that makes sense ;)) ...and don't confuse love with lust (though they can overlap). So take whatever love you can get/give, and if you're lucky, you might find true love.

That's just my take on it, but I'm no expert. wink

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: True Love [Re: Fame] #606094
06/23/11 10:19 AM
06/23/11 10:19 AM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline OP
Underboss
Fame  Offline OP
Underboss
Top o' the World
"Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, to TRULY love and to cherish...."

"I TRULY do!"

Hmmm...if that was the case, we'd have less divorced couples grin

Which reminds me of a few couples who said they share true love, and today they no longer speak to each other...

So true love means the most powerful love out there? one should only express it when this love is "forever and unconditional" ?

I'd say that every love is conditional. Love itself is conditional.

Yes, people love their children no matter what, but for this unconditional love to exist they need to be your children, biological or not, and that's a condition.

When you (romantically) love another woman "unconditionally" you tend to forget the first condition that she has to be woman. A physical matter before anything else. How can this love be called pure then?

Even if you say you love all people no matter what, there's still a condition that they have to be people. That's why love is very much a "conditional" term.

I guess the "purest" form per se, would be between two people who are not related through blood or sexual attraction.

But now I'm getting philosophical and bitchy.

So to sum things up....'true love' is for love what "very good" is for "good".

Higher level.

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: True Love [Re: Fame] #606100
06/23/11 12:39 PM
06/23/11 12:39 PM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Fame
"Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, to TRULY love and to cherish...."

"I TRULY do!"

Hmmm...if that was the case, we'd have less divorced couples grin

Which reminds me of a few couples who said they share true love, and today they no longer speak to each other...

So true love means the most powerful love out there? one should only express it when this love is "forever and unconditional" ?

I'd say that every love is conditional. Love itself is conditional.

Yes, people love their children no matter what, but for this unconditional love to exist they need to be your children, biological or not, and that's a condition.

When you (romantically) love another woman "unconditionally" you tend to forget the first condition that she has to be woman. A physical matter before anything else. How can this love be called pure then?

Even if you say you love all people no matter what, there's still a condition that they have to be people. That's why love is very much a "conditional" term.

I guess the "purest" form per se, would be between two people who are not related through blood or sexual attraction.

But now I'm getting philosophical and bitchy.

So to sum things up....'true love' is for love what "very good" is for "good".

Higher level.

Well, you bring up a fair point, I guess. But I think you're getting way too deep here. To me unconditional love exists, but it's a rare find. I always envy people who have that.

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008
Re: True Love [Re: Fame] #606103
06/23/11 12:52 PM
06/23/11 12:52 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
True love is something for poets, songwriters and people trying to convince themselves that they are in love. If there is true love, can there be false love? Love is just a four letter word. And as Jesus Christ said, "Love one another as I have loved you."

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: True Love [Re: Fame] #606200
06/24/11 11:12 PM
06/24/11 11:12 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Well some New Yorkers now have the right to do the worst thing one could do to love: Marriage.

Re: True Love [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #606214
06/25/11 09:09 AM
06/25/11 09:09 AM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Well some New Yorkers now have the right to do the worst thing one could do to love: Marriage.

Gene Simmons?..Is that you?!?! wink

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull