GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 299 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,461
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,881
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,322
Posts1,058,580
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Influence intimidation on politicians #604085
05/25/11 05:04 AM
05/25/11 05:04 AM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline OP
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline OP
Underboss
Netherlands
A friend of my is working on a Bachelor paper right now. She wants to do a research on the influence of initmidation on politicians (local or national). Does anyone know good books about that subject or other information sources? It shouldn't be bribery or something, just intimidation/threatening.

Re: Influence intimidation on politicians [Re: M.M. Floors] #604121
05/25/11 02:52 PM
05/25/11 02:52 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

If you're talking about intimidation of politicians by organized crime groups, you won't find much of that in the U.S. Bribery, blackmail, yes. But not usually threats. Plenty of that in other countries though.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Influence intimidation on politicians [Re: M.M. Floors] #604188
05/26/11 06:46 AM
05/26/11 06:46 AM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline OP
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline OP
Underboss
Netherlands
Yeah I know, but I have a lot of bookies about world wide maffia and OC but none of them has info.

Most close is 'Don Vito, mayor of Palermo'.

Re: Influence intimidation on politicians [Re: M.M. Floors] #604514
05/31/11 04:00 PM
05/31/11 04:00 PM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline OP
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline OP
Underboss
Netherlands
Nobody any info? Turnbull, DonCardi anyone?

Re: Influence intimidation on politicians [Re: M.M. Floors] #604520
05/31/11 06:54 PM
05/31/11 06:54 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
It is rare but it has happened in the past. The first example that comes to mind is the public beating (kicking?) that Capone gave to the mayor of Cicero when he did something that Capone didn't like.

http://www.mail-archive.com/ctrl@listserv.aol.com/msg95404.html

Then there was the Outfit takeover of the black policy rackets in the forties and fifties, which saw intimidation directed at a number of politicians.

http://www.uic.edu/orgs/kbc/ganghistory/Ghetto/Blackmafia.pdf

Quote:
This area continued to grow until the 1970’s when most of the West Side of Chicago became entirely black. “Big Jim” Martin ran policy on the West Side from his tavern in the 1900 block of West Lake Street. On October 1, 1940, the Outfit planted a
bomb at Martin’s resort and made a demand for $20,000. Martin reportedly ignored the demand because he was also the political leader of the West Side black community. Martin’s operations were centered in the 28th Ward, home of Democratic powerhouse Pat Nash.
The Outfit eventually made Martin the same offer that they had made the Jones brothers. When Martin refused to switch allegiance to the Outfit, he was shot on November 15, 1950. The assailant was future mob boss John P. “Jackie” Cerone. Left for dead, Martin recovered and following the example of the Jones brothers left Chicago. It appears that the political protection that Martin once held was gone. George Kells, the Wards Alderman had resigned citing the ill health of his wife. His wife’s problems stemmed from the threatening telephone calls that she had received from syndicate gangsters suggesting that it was ill advised for her husband to seek reelection.

I seem to remember another Black political leader in Chicago having a similar issue in the early sixties but I can't recall the name now.

Some people mutter that the Leon Jordan murder was mob related.
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/31/2375644/evidence-points-to-mob-associates.html

Then of course we can talk about Anton Cermak, who did try to eliminate Nitti and was assassinated himself shortly afterwards in what may have been a pure coincidence..

I don't know of any book that ties all this together. If you look beyond "traditional" organized crime I know you can find tons of examples of such threats or intimidation.

I would guess that to the extent that an organization's political power or wealth swells, the less that they need to rely on cruder tactics. But if no one is looking and it's a small time politician or a particularly stupid or irritated criminal, why not?

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Influence intimidation on politicians [Re: M.M. Floors] #604567
06/01/11 03:59 PM
06/01/11 03:59 PM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline OP
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline OP
Underboss
Netherlands
At least this is something she can look after. Thanks Lilo!

Re: Influence intimidation on politicians [Re: M.M. Floors] #604588
06/01/11 10:13 PM
06/01/11 10:13 PM
Texas
TonyG Offline
Capo
TonyG  Offline
Capo
Texas
I would suggest to her to go to her University Library and use the Lexis Nexxus search engine to get access to the US House and US Senate Comittee reports.

There have been several Committee's over the last 70 years dealing with corruption, and you can find stories of intimidation in there as well.

I have read several of the Kefauver reports and some of those politicians were scared as hell, and threatened.

As Lilo suggested, I think the Chicago Outfit was more into intimidation than the NY guys. There was a governor in Missouri that was elected with Mob influence that you can read about as well. Other candidates were told not to run via intimidation.

Best way to catch the smart ones? Get an idiot working for them.
Re: Influence intimidation on politicians [Re: TonyG] #604620
06/02/11 12:55 PM
06/02/11 12:55 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Plenty of American politicians have been corrupted by the Mob, and probably plenty have been intimidated. But, naturally, none will admit it. And, not many politicians have been investigated and have been found guilty of association with the Mob, either as victims or as takers of bribes. One reason is that the people who are charged with investigations or prosecutions are, in most cases, elected officials--in the US, most District Attorneys (state and local chief prosecutors) are elected rather than appointed to office. They, too, can be corrupted or intimidated by the Mob, and so they would find themselves vulnerable if they prosecuted other elected officials vigorously.

There was a celebrated case in the early 1950's in New York City. The Mayor of New York, William O'Dwyer, faced allegations of having been complicit in the "accidental" death of Abraham "Kid Twist" Reles, a key witness against organized crime boss Louis "Lepke" Buchalter, while O'Dwyer was District Attorney of Brooklyn; and of having received political favors and influence from Frank Costello, called "The Prime Minister of the Underworld." President Truman rescued him by appointing him US Ambassador to Mexico.

Hope that helps, Floors.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Influence intimidation on politicians [Re: Turnbull] #604645
06/02/11 06:17 PM
06/02/11 06:17 PM
Texas
TonyG Offline
Capo
TonyG  Offline
Capo
Texas
Another example is a former campaign manager for President Truman admitted that he got the United States Board of Parole to free Paul Ricca, Louis Campagna, Charles Gioe and Phil D'Andrea, all well-known mobsters, after serving one-third of their ten-year sentences for extortion.

I had heard that the Outfit had somehow gotten to this guy, and he had a simple decision: get these guys out early or .... (probably a visit from Mad Sam).

Best way to catch the smart ones? Get an idiot working for them.
Re: Influence intimidation on politicians [Re: M.M. Floors] #604655
06/02/11 07:22 PM
06/02/11 07:22 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I can't believe I forgot about this..just too busy lately I guess but what about the Philly family's murder of Judge Edwin Helfant back in 1978, when he took a bribe and supposedly didn't deliver his end of the deal.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Influence intimidation on politicians [Re: M.M. Floors] #604680
06/03/11 10:14 AM
06/03/11 10:14 AM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline OP
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline OP
Underboss
Netherlands
This is starting to look like something. I'm going to forward the link to her.

@Turnbull: that one I knew myself, but totally forgotten smile

Re: Influence intimidation on politicians [Re: M.M. Floors] #604724
06/03/11 06:57 PM
06/03/11 06:57 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Ok, the fellow I was thinking about in Chicago was Ben Lewis, a recently elected black alderman who was selling insurance to his constituents in competition with syndicate backed people who already had that business locked up. Lewis was murdered in 1963.

Bill Granata and Charles Gross were also politicians or would-be politicians who ran afoul of the Outfit and were removed from this world.

More to be found here. Many more than I remembered. It looks like Chicago really did play by a more brutal set of rules than NY.

Winter is Coming

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull