GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Mafia101, 1 invisible), 101 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,657
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,184
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,389
Posts1,059,916
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Favorite food market? #603067
05/15/11 02:10 PM
05/15/11 02:10 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Let's discuss our favorite food markets. I'll start:

My fave is Trader Joe's. All the food and drink they sell under their own or near-exclusive brands are unbeatable values. Coffee, olive oil, mustard, jams--and especially, wines. Their TJ Coastal, Trellis, Napa River and Black Mountain California wines are unequaled bargains (but skip Two Buck Chuck). Their Tuscan, Piemonte and Rioja wines are stupendous values. Always courteous service.

Cost Plus World Market is a chain that sells a bizarre combination of nonperishable foods, furniture, rugs--and wine and beer. Their house brand wines and near-exclusives are competitive with TJ in value. They also sell wonderful Italian sodas, some of them low-calorie.

Costco always has low prices on high-quality merchandise. Their whole bean coffees are unbeatable. They're the largest wine retailer in the country, and their occasional specials are worth stocking up on. But they are probably most famous for their meats. Their USDA Choice cuts are head-and-shoulders above the supermarkets' fare. And, our Costco here always has two or three USDA Prime steak cuts. Believe me, those Primes are well worth the premium--incredibly flavorful.

Your faves?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Turnbull] #603070
05/15/11 02:31 PM
05/15/11 02:31 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I love Trader Joe's, TB. But my options are limited because there aren't any in my neighborhood. I have to drive out to Hewlett or up to Scarsdale, unless I feel like taking the car into Manhattan (which I am loathe to do lol).

As far as "chain stores" go, I guess in New York the A&P's used to be a pretty good bet, but since they started having financial problems they've REALLY gone downhill.

I love the Fairway Market on the Upper West Side, and they recently opened a store on the Bronx-Pelham border, so that's a great option of me now. But Fairway couldn't be considered a "chain store," there aren't enough of them. Same goes for Balducci's. Great stores, but not enough of them.

In Florida I'll only shop at Publix. Those stores are absolutely immaculate, and they have wonderful fish, meat, deli and produce departments. It's probably my favorite "chain store."

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Turnbull] #603083
05/15/11 08:18 PM
05/15/11 08:18 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I like Cost Plus World Market as well. I haven't tried Trader Joe's yet. I do a lot of shopping at Whole Wallet (Whole Foods).

The Ann Arbor's Farmer's Market is always nice to visit as is Zingerman's

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Turnbull] #603093
05/15/11 11:50 PM
05/15/11 11:50 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Love Costco! They're merchandise is always high-quality. Plus, they're customer service is excellent, and they're return policy excellent. They also are a very good employer. We see the same workers there for years.

Like PB, I wish I lived closer to a Trader Joe's. I love all their merchandise, but I'd probably weigh 600 lbs. if I was able to get there more often - I'm too addicted to their chocolate, forget about their cakes and cookies.

As for Fairway, meh. When they have a bargain, they're very good, but otherwise I find them a bit overpriced. Their workers are also quite rude.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Turnbull] #603095
05/16/11 12:14 AM
05/16/11 12:14 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

My only real everyday options around me are Pathmark (the closest, part of the A&P family -- the best sale prices, decent meat, but the worst produce), Foodtown (meh, great fried chicken and prepared dinners, but otherwise not exciting), and ShopRite (worst take-out dinners, but best take-out soups I've ever had, including from any restaurants, and probably the best store of the three).

Even farther is a Stop & Shop, but I haven't bothered trying it. And a real road trip will get me to Wegmans, which has more exotic stuff, but it takes me hours to find everything I need in that maze of a store. And it's like 30 minutes away, so just for special stuff.

There's a BJ's really close by, and a Costco about 20 mins away, but I don't really buy in bulk much to be worth it. I do like Sam's Club, too -- at least the one in Annapolis, which is the best club store I've ever seen.

I went to a Publix in Florida, but on the island my folks live on, it was a tiny one, and I wasn't all that impressed at all. Didn't have squat. But I'm sure a full-sized store does.

The best usually comes from the Mom & Pop stores, but sadly they've been closing their doors more and more. ohwell

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Turnbull] #603108
05/16/11 08:05 AM
05/16/11 08:05 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
That's funny about Pathmark and ShopRite, JG. I find my local Pathmark has better fish and meat, and ShopRite better deli and produce. Also, on every day items, ShopRite has far better prices.

Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #603113
05/16/11 09:14 AM
05/16/11 09:14 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Shop Rite is great on canned goods, Geoff.

My wife has been dragging me to their "can-can" sales forever. When they put the Tuttorosso tomatoes on sale, we'll go three of four times that particular week and try to pick up as many as twenty cases at a time (which involves a lot of scheming because there are limits on those sales).
Sounds like a lot of tomatoes, but they go real fast in our house.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Favorite food market? [Re: pizzaboy] #603119
05/16/11 11:10 AM
05/16/11 11:10 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
That's funny about Pathmark and ShopRite, JG. I find my local Pathmark has better fish and meat, and ShopRite better deli and produce. Also, on every day items, ShopRite has far better prices.

I think we're in agreement on all that. Pathmark deli here is pretty disgusting, and the produce sucks, but the meat and fish are great.

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Shop Rite is great on canned goods, Geoff.

I remember those can-can commercials from when I was a kid.

You like Tuttorosso better than Cento? I'll give it a shot...

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: Favorite food market? [Re: J Geoff] #603125
05/16/11 12:57 PM
05/16/11 12:57 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: J Geoff
You like Tuttorosso better than Cento?

They're comparable, Geoffy.

The Tuttorosso crushed tomatoes are nice and smooth and ready to go. I find the Cento crushed tomatoes to be a little chunky. No big deal, really, because you could always blend them.

When I want to use whole tomatoes and crush them by hand for, say, a marinara sauce, then it doesn't really matter, as long as they're good San Marzano tomatoes (like Cento) smile.

Re: Favorite food market? [Re: pizzaboy] #603135
05/16/11 01:54 PM
05/16/11 01:54 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Years ago, Consumer Reports said Pathmark had the best pasta.

Out here, the chains are Fry's, Safeway and Albertson's. Supermarkets out here tend to be a lot bigger than NJ supers (except for Wegmann's). They do ok. Often have good wine sales. Routinely knock off 10% if you buy 6 or more (mixed) bottles. But: deception today: Fry's advertised 40% off all wines that cost more than $20. So, I saw a bottle of Veuve Cliquot Champagne for $34.95, "regular price $57.95." BS!! No one ever paid $57.95 for Veuve Cliquot. You can get it for $34.95 here at Costco and Cost Plus World Market. Some sale!

Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Turnbull] #603150
05/16/11 06:03 PM
05/16/11 06:03 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
When I was growing up the two big supermarkets were Finast and A&P. Finast was eventually swallowed up by the Stop and Shop corporation, and the A&P is still hanging around (although they just closed around 40 stores in the tri-state area).

Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Turnbull] #603172
05/16/11 09:22 PM
05/16/11 09:22 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
My mother used to shop at the Finast on White Plains Road. I want to guess that it was maybe on the corner of 237th?? She also used to shop at Quaker's, also on White Plains Road but a few blocks south. I want to say there was also a Grand Union across from Quaker's.

I'm very surprised at the price of wines in supermarkets (not here in NY, but other areas that I've visited). They're not competitive at all. I would imagine that because they buy in such bulk they would be less expensive, but I can get better prices from my local liquor store.

Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Turnbull] #603180
05/16/11 11:53 PM
05/16/11 11:53 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

It'd be nice if I could even buy wine anywhere other than a liquor store around here. Even freakin' Costco doesn't carry anything cuz of the local owner of Spirits Unlimited whose dogs and cats and grandkids own liquor licenses here that no one else can get (besides Buy-Rite, somehow -- which are usually the cheapest around, somehow). rolleyes

Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Turnbull] #603194
05/17/11 02:26 AM
05/17/11 02:26 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I somehow just ran across this Q&A with Terry Sharkey, vice pres... (ShopRite)...

First off, as I said, their Chef's Express soups are great -- their New England Clam Chowder IS the best I've ever had, and I've had'm all over New England! wink HOWEVER, their prepared "Italian" offerings are pretty damn weak. Not to mention their Black Bear brand at the deli is horrific (I'm talking potato salad, etc). I don't get it. ohwell

Interesting (and short, corporate-speak) Q&A, but my experience speaks otherwise for most of it....

Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #603231
05/17/11 12:30 PM
05/17/11 12:30 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I'm very surprised at the price of wines in supermarkets (not here in NY, but other areas that I've visited). They're not competitive at all. I would imagine that because they buy in such bulk they would be less expensive, but I can get better prices from my local liquor store.

Actually, supermarket wine prices here can be very competitive--when they want them to be. Wednesday's local paper has inserts from the supers, and they usually have several attractive buys--for example, Mirassou, usually $7.99, at $6.99 or less. 10% off for six or more bottles (mixed). But when you get there, you find others jacked up way high--for example, Clos du Bois Chardonnay at $13.99. You just have to pick and choose carefully.

Re: Favorite food market? [Re: pizzaboy] #603232
05/17/11 12:34 PM
05/17/11 12:34 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
When I was growing up the two big supermarkets were Finast and A&P. Finast was eventually swallowed up by the Stop and Shop corporation, and the A&P is still hanging around (although they just closed around 40 stores in the tri-state area).

There were no supermarkets when I was growing up in East New York and Brownsville. There was a small A&P on Livonia Avenue near Cleveland Street--with those huge coffee grinders. A superette opened up on the site of a rundown movie theater on Saratoga and Livonia in '55. Then Waldbaum opened on Church Avenue west of Rockaway Parkway. Supermarkets started springing up in the early Twenties because cars made it possible for people to buy and take away larger quantities of food. But they need big parking lots--not always possible in NYC.

Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Turnbull] #606285
06/26/11 01:06 PM
06/26/11 01:06 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
My favorite food market is Wegmans. While I've always been a person that would only buy meat from the neighborhood butcher, I have to admit that Wegmans has excellent poultry and meat. Their steaks are top quality. And while I will always remain a 'name brand' shopper when it comes to certain things like Heinz Ketchup and Hellman's Mayonnaise for example, a large amount of Wegmans brands like many of their cereals, dressings, snacks, etc. are really top quality and taste great!

It's basically a throwback one stop shopping market that includes a butcher, fresh bakery, fresh seafood, fresh produce, a deli, regular groceries etc.

They also have a 'food court' section where you can eat freshly made cooked foods from the Sushi Bar, a Pizzeria, a Hero Shop, a Chinese food bar, an Appetizers bar, a Salad Bar and more. Sometimes my wife and I will go around lunch time, sit down and have lunch and then go food shopping. (Never go food shopping on an empty stomach wink )

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Turnbull] #606335
06/26/11 11:50 PM
06/26/11 11:50 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I really like Wegman's quality, etc -- but as I said before, going there is an hours-long adventure. Not only because it's a half hour away, but because the layout is so godawful, it takes me hours to find everything on my list! But, Wegman's is where I go to find things I can't find in the local supermarkets. Haven't tried Whole Foods yet, so can't compare -- cuz Whole Foods is even farther. ohwell

Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Turnbull] #606343
06/27/11 12:19 AM
06/27/11 12:19 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
In August I'll drive up to Pgh. Before I leave I'll visit the Italian groceria in Bloomfield on Liberty Ave. I'll load up on everything from Italian bread to Ravioli, put it in my cooler and feast on it when I get back to Texas. God, I can't wait.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Turnbull] #606358
06/27/11 06:05 AM
06/27/11 06:05 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
I first became acquainted with Wegman's around 35 years ago when I was living in the Syracuse area. It was also the first time I became aware of 24-hour supermarkets. Unfortunately, there are no Wegman's here in the wilds of Brooklyn.

As a matter of fact, there are no supermarkets at all in my immediate neighborhood. The local Waldbaum's (a filthy, unsanitary place) closed down more than ten years ago. Then, around three years ago, a new supermarket (Met Fresh) briefly opened four blocks from where I live. It lasted less than a year (the prices were higher than the local stores), then reopened as a kosher supermarket. The prices were (of course) way too high - even for the same canned and packaged goods sold by the previous supermarket - so that place closed up within a few months. Then it became a Russian market (my neighborhood is nearly all Russian immigrants). They didn't even carry enough stock to fill the shelves! It closed in less than six months.

Now, it's a T.J. Maxx clothing store. Just what we need. panic

So, I'm back to hopscotching around from store to store, trying to save a few dollars wherever I can. The nearest supermarket (Stop 'n' Shop) is a bus ride away, and their prices are generally higher than what I can find locally in my neighborhood. I seldom go there anymore, except if there is an unusually good sale.

And remember, this is Brooklyn. Unbelievable. frown

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Turnbull] #606516
06/28/11 08:16 PM
06/28/11 08:16 PM
chaxi Offline
Associate
chaxi  Offline
Associate
My most favorite one is actually in Monterrigioni, a small little place in Italy with a population that's barely over 1,100 people. There would be this food market that sold the best wine, gnocchi, and risotto I have ever tasted. The produce is very fresh, and though it is costly, it is worth it. The market name was just called Gugliotta's.
God, I can never forget what it feels like to actually, REALLY, taste a tomato for the first time.

Back to America.
Honestly, I would go with Plaza Market, Galleria Market, and Assi Market, which are all in Koreatown, Los Angeles.

Winchester. Colt. Smith & Wesson.

That's that.
Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Signor Vitelli] #606563
06/29/11 08:49 AM
06/29/11 08:49 AM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
I first became acquainted with Wegman's around 35 years ago when I was living in the Syracuse area. frown

Signor V.

What part of the Syracuse area did you live in? I was west of Syracuse, in Camillus, at about the same time.

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Don Marco] #606588
06/29/11 12:26 PM
06/29/11 12:26 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: Don Marco
I was west of Syracuse, in Camillus, at about the same time.

Did you know CamillusDon?

Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Don Marco] #606637
06/30/11 12:56 AM
06/30/11 12:56 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Originally Posted By: Don Marco
What part of the Syracuse area did you live in? I was west of Syracuse, in Camillus, at about the same time.

In 1973-74, I was living on Onondaga Hill (in a pet cemetary!) while attending Onondaga Community College. Then, early in 1976, I briefly lived in Liverpool. From 1977-1980, I was visiting Syracuse fairly regularly because I was involved with someone who was going to my old college (and then later SUNY Oswego).

I think (from what I remember) that while I was at OCC most of my diet consisted of pizza [never from Frank's Pizza (ewg!) - it was Cosmo's or nothing!], Carroll's club-burgers, and too much beer (Genesee, Matt's Premium or Maximus Super - take your pick).

Ah, memories...

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Favorite food market? [Re: Turnbull] #616111
09/30/11 06:03 AM
09/30/11 06:03 AM
dhaka
S
shima Offline
Wiseguy
shima  Offline
S
Wiseguy
dhaka
I miss Whole Foods so much I could cry. I moved to Wyoming and the closest thing is Wild Oats, 5 hours away, and it's not nearly as good. I used to shop in Princeton which was 45 mins from my home in Bucks County. It was totally worth the drive. Their meat department is fabulous and their olive bar. I dream about the olive bar. There is no where in this entire state to get olives that aren't in a jar or can. You people are so lucky; I'm so jealous.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull