GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 214 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,698
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,225
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,520
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,391
Posts1,060,052
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Godafther 3 question #37856
04/16/06 11:27 AM
04/16/06 11:27 AM
Hampton, Virginia
Antoni Canoli Offline OP
Made Member
Antoni Canoli  Offline OP
Made Member
Hampton, Virginia
I didnt check to see if this has aleady been covered (although I am sure it probably has, I am just too lay to wade thru all the pages to see).. but....

Is the Joey Zasa character (played by Joe Mantanga) supposed to represent Joe Colombo?? From my reading in Lebo's book about the making of The Godfather films Colombo headed the Italian-American League who was concerned about the portrayal of Italian-Americans and the use of the words Mafia and Cosa Nostra--he was also the head of the Colombo family at the time, and in GF3 this is the same thing that Zasa does? Just a thought....

Finance is a gun, Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger.
Re: Godafther 3 question #37857
04/16/06 11:38 AM
04/16/06 11:38 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
He was a composite of Joe Columbo (Italian-American Civil Rights League, "Italians get a bad rap"), and John Gotti ("best-dressed Don," "cover of Time Magazine").

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Godafther 3 question #37858
04/16/06 11:48 AM
04/16/06 11:48 AM
Hampton, Virginia
Antoni Canoli Offline OP
Made Member
Antoni Canoli  Offline OP
Made Member
Hampton, Virginia
Thanks Turnbull... I never caught the Gotti reference, but thought I was on about the Colombo one.. thanks again.

Finance is a gun, Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger.
Re: Godafther 3 question #37859
04/16/06 12:07 PM
04/16/06 12:07 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
You're welcome, Antoni. smile
The irony is that while Gotti was probably the most famous Mafia Don of recent times, Columbo was far more of a publicity hound--and sought and achieved far greater public exposure. He even appeared on the Dick Cavett Show, where he held forth about the "myth" of the Mafia ("no such thing") and decried the prejudice against Italian Americans that was based on the "myth" of the Mafia. He touched a sensitive nerve among the vast majority of Italian-Americans who have nothing to do with organized crime, but suffer from prejudice based in the tiny percentage who are Mafiosi. His Italian-American Civil Rights League had considerable success: They picketed the FBI (which stopped referring to "Mafia" in its public relations), and the New York Times (which dropped references to "Mafia" and "Cosa Nostra" in its pages, substituting "organized crime"). They also famously pressued Coppola and Ruddy to drop references to "Mafia" and "Cosa Nostra" in "The Godfather." In return, Columbo gave the film crew cooperation among unions his family influenced, and even let James Caan hang out with his top guys to "learn" his part (a nice irony for a guy who denied being a Mafia Don).

Alas, Columbo was really victimizing his fellow Italian-Americans: his motivation for forming the "league" was to get the government to back off prosecuting him for racketeering, and to drop charges against one of his sons for violating currency laws by melting down coins for their silver content. After he was shot and nearly killed during one of his big rallies in Columbus Circle in New York City in 1971, the Times took off the gloves. In an unforgettable interview with Columbo's "employer," they asked Joseph Cantalupo, who owned the real estate agency where Columbo was "employed," how Columbo could own a vast and lavish estate in upstate New York on his realty commissions. Cantalupo replied, with a straight face: "Mr. Columbo is our best salesman. He has the sincerest group of clients--no one ever tries to cheat him out of a commission." lol

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull