GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Ben54, Irishman12), 302 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,493
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,848
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mama's Death #602146
05/05/11 12:05 PM
05/05/11 12:05 PM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline OP
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline OP
The Don
Underboss
London
Bit sudden wasn't it? She seemed in perfectly good health weeks earlier at the party, suddenly she drops dead with no explanation.

Anyone reckon Al killed her so Mike could kill Fredo quicker?

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Mama's Death [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #602148
05/05/11 12:19 PM
05/05/11 12:19 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
There's little to indicate what period of time elapsed between Tony's Communion and her death. The Communion would have been held in the Spring, probably April or May. Later Michael returned from a trip and spoke with her. There was considerable snow on the ground. The weather appeard fine when she died. I suggest a year transpired. Also, seeming in good health and being in good health can be two distinctly different things.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Mama's Death [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #602149
05/05/11 12:20 PM
05/05/11 12:20 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Wow, what a surreal theory! cool I like it. I don't believe it, but I like the bizarre-ness of it.

Most likely a heart attack. (Willie Cicci in the background, "That was no heart attack".)

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Mama's Death [Re: olivant] #602151
05/05/11 12:24 PM
05/05/11 12:24 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: olivant
There's little to indicate what period of time elapsed between Tony's Communion and her death.

Indeed. It were more likely months, maybe even a year or so. But everyone seems to have his own interpretation. wink

The Communion would have been held in the Spring, probably April or May. Later Michael returned from a trip and spoke with her. There was considerable snow on the ground. The weather appeard fine when she died. I suggest a year transpired. Also, seeming in good health and being in good health can be two distinctly different things.

According to the final draft of the official screenplay the communion was in Autumn. The scenes were shot in early October which was about the same time.

Last edited by Sonny_Black; 05/05/11 12:26 PM.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Mama's Death [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #602161
05/05/11 01:34 PM
05/05/11 01:34 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Most Communions in the Catholic Church are held in spring, although there can be exceptions.

Mama was older and overweight. Definitely a prime candidate for a heart attack or stroke.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Mama's Death [Re: Sicilian Babe] #602165
05/05/11 02:05 PM
05/05/11 02:05 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Like Mike she may have had diabetes which could have done her in.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Mama's Death [Re: dontomasso] #602199
05/05/11 09:01 PM
05/05/11 09:01 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
As SB said, most Communions are held in the spring. FFC moved it to December so he could make a speedy transition for Michael--to Miami, then NY, then Havana to ring in the New Year, all in a matter of (probably) no more than two weeks. Evidently Michael had a lot of clout with the Church--and that was before he got pally with Archbishop Gilday and bailed out the Vatican Bank! wink Also, he had his own family priest, Father Carmello (just like medieval and renaissance royalty).

As for Mama: Michael returned to Tahoe probably right after he met with Tom, Rocco and Neri in Vegas following his swift exit from Havana. Mama looked healthy enough, but she could have been a heart attack waiting to happen. And, we don't know how much time passed from that scene until her death.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Mama's Death [Re: Turnbull] #602205
05/05/11 09:30 PM
05/05/11 09:30 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
As SB said, most Communions are held in the spring. FFC moved it to December so he could make a speedy transition for Michael--to Miami, then NY, then Havana to ring in the New Year, all in a matter of (probably) no more than two weeks.

It was late November. The football game on tv at Hyman Roth's house (when Mike visited) was USC vs. Notre Dame, and that was played in November.

Re: Mama's Death [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #602223
05/06/11 09:25 AM
05/06/11 09:25 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
You should check the temperatures at Lake Tahoe for late November or December. Then check The Godfather II again. You will see that people are swimming, some only have shorts on.

It was early Autumn at the latest. The screenplay confirms this.

Re: Mama's Death [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #602235
05/06/11 11:07 AM
05/06/11 11:07 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Directors shoot films as their resources and timetables allow or can be arranged - actors, places, equipment, weather, etc. However, I've never known of a Communion taking place at any time other than in the Spring. On the other hand, Ola et al arrive at the Communion wearing overcoats.

Re: Mama's Death [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #602239
05/06/11 11:20 AM
05/06/11 11:20 AM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
Ok fine. But the suggestion is that not much time spans over the course of the film, couple of months tops. So Mama must have deteriorated pretty rapidly

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Mama's Death [Re: olivant] #602242
05/06/11 11:54 AM
05/06/11 11:54 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Directors shoot films as their resources and timetables allow or can be arranged - actors, places, equipment, weather, etc. However, I've never known of a Communion taking place at any time other than in the Spring. On the other hand, Ola et al arrive at the Communion wearing overcoats.

But it's also the director who decides when his film takes place. The screenplay says it's Autumn.

And believe me, if Michael Corleone wanted the communion to be held in Autumn, it would have been held in Autumn. If he could order the death of his brother and an arch bishop, he could as easily order the death of Father Carmelo, or sent Al Neri after him to give him an ass whipping if he would disagree. wink

Re: Mama's Death [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #602243
05/06/11 12:01 PM
05/06/11 12:01 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: The Hollywood Finochio
Ok fine. But the suggestion is that not much time spans over the course of the film, couple of months tops. So Mama must have deteriorated pretty rapidly

When Hyman Roth comes back from Israel and wherever else he went to, he says he came home to vote in the presidential election as he couldn't get an absentee vote. The presidential elections were held in November 1960.

But the major part of the film and the time table you refer to from the communion to Carmela's death was probably only a couple of months, I would guess 5-6 months.

Like you, I also found it a little strange how she was death all the sudden.

But sometime after Mike returned from Cuba and the senate hearings are held against him, he goes to see his mother inside one of the buildings in the compound. In that scene you see her sitting by the fire with a blanket on which suggests she could have been sick.

Re: Mama's Death [Re: Sonny_Black] #602246
05/06/11 12:18 PM
05/06/11 12:18 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I believe Michael had his tete-a-tete just after he returned to Tahoe, but before the Senate hearing.

Yes, the script, the football game, etc., indicate late November. But if that were so, Michael would have been away from the compound for more than a month. I think that's highly unlikely.

Re: Mama's Death [Re: Turnbull] #602272
05/06/11 05:34 PM
05/06/11 05:34 PM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
He's clearly away for longer than a month as he sees in the new year in Havana.

Roth's comments about the election is no guarantee that the election were close by.

The timeline in the GF films is always up to scrutiny.

Re: Mama's Death [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #602279
05/06/11 05:52 PM
05/06/11 05:52 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Would it have made sense to the press if you say you came home to vote if it was to be a year earlier or so? Besides, you can only apply for an absentee vote one or two months before an election at the earliest.

Re: Mama's Death [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #602289
05/06/11 07:19 PM
05/06/11 07:19 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

Roth's comments about the election is no guarantee that the election were close by.

The timeline in the GF films is always up to scrutiny.

If we choose to use Roth's absentee ballot remark as a guide, we first have to know in which state he was registered to vote. Was it NY or Florida? It was probably Florida. Apparently, Florida did not have early voting until 2004, but it may have had absentee voting since 1845. There is no indication how early a Florida resident may request an absentee ballot, so we don't know when his request would have been denied and therefore we don't know from that when he returned to the US.

Last edited by olivant; 05/06/11 07:22 PM.

Re: Mama's Death [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #602292
05/06/11 08:44 PM
05/06/11 08:44 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Another interesting thing is that this whole situation of Hyman Roth fleeying to Israel is based on Meyer Lansky's departure to Israel.

He went there in 1970, but he was only sent back two years later because of his ongoing case with the Israelian government. This is a whole procedure that takes place and it's not something that is dealt with in a couple of months.

Meyer Lansky was only chased out of the U.S. by the Internal revenue agents or something like that. There was no indication at all that his life was in danger. Hyman Roth, on the other hand, knew that his life in the U.S. was in jeopardy and there was a contract on his life.

You really think he would not try the same as Lansky did at the least to try and stay in Israel? Hiring the best lawyers they have to make the strongest case against the government. This guy was a multi-milionaire many times over. He would do everything he could to not have to go back to the States and fear for his life.

Hell, he even offered Panama or some country a million dollars so he could stay there.

Re: Mama's Death [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #602299
05/06/11 09:28 PM
05/06/11 09:28 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ

That would be true if the football game playing on Roth's radio were a definitive marker. But, I think FFC just used it as background (like the "shot heard round the world" on Sonny's car radio just before he was assassinated). As a practical matter, I don't think Michael was gone for more than a week or two.

Re: Mama's Death [Re: Sonny_Black] #602302
05/06/11 09:35 PM
05/06/11 09:35 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Another interesting thing is that this whole situation of Hyman Roth fleeying to Israel is based on Meyer Lansky's departure to Israel.

He went there in 1970, but he was only sent back two years later because of his ongoing case with the Israelian government. This is a whole procedure that takes place and it's not something that is dealt with in a couple of months.

Meyer Lansky was only chased out of the U.S. by the Internal revenue agents or something like that. There was no indication at all that his life was in danger. Hyman Roth, on the other hand, knew that his life in the U.S. was in jeopardy and there was a contract on his life.

The Nixon Justice Department created 18 "criminal strike forces." Seventeen were associated with cities; the eighteenth was focused exclusively on Lansky. That's how much of a hardon the government had for him.

Israel's Law of Return states that any Jew can, upon application, be granted Israeli citizenship immediately. It was amended in 1953 to exclude those whose presence would endanger Israel. Lansky had been convicted of only one crime--a small-time gambling rap in Saratoga Springs, NY, for which he served three months in a local jail. That wouldn't have been enough to deny him Israeli citizenship. But the FBI plied Israel's Interior Minister with tons of data from their records (a lot of it second-hand and hearsay). After he was denied citizenship, he appealed. The FBI invited the Israeli prosecutor to Washington, where they gave him full access to everything they had on Lansky. His appeal was turned down and he had to leave.

His "Hail Mary Pass" (no pun intended) was to try to sneak into Paraguy as an "agricultural worker." But the FBI dogged him every step of the way. After 36 hours of flying and being trapped in transit lounges, he returned to Miami.

Ironically, the government hit him with four charges. He beat all of them. But his defense left him broke.

Re: Mama's Death [Re: Turnbull] #602323
05/07/11 08:44 AM
05/07/11 08:44 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Ironically, the government hit him with four charges. He beat all of them. But his defense left him broke.

It's still a mystery to me that a guy like Lansky in fact "seemed" to have hardly any money left when he died.

It was estimated that his net worth was about 100 million. Some people interpretated that this was his money. My interpretation is that it was probably the money his criminal associates owned for him to have access to. But since none of it was on his name, when he died, there was hardly any money left for his family.

But I'm stealing this topic here. This is a whole other subject. smile

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull