GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 180 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,519
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,967
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,348
Posts1,059,043
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame voting: Gamblers vs. Steroid Users #600120
04/16/11 07:06 PM
04/16/11 07:06 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I found this very interesting article discussing why Pete Rose should be allowed into the Hall of Fame if steroid users even have a shot (no matter how slim it is) at it. Remember, Mark McGwire and other steroid users have been on the ballots where as Pete Rose hasn't due to his lifetime ban.

So what do you guys think? Should Pete Rose who never "affected" the game the way steroid users have be allowed in? Pete Rose bet on baseball games and (as far as I know), didn't affect the outcome of any such games. Whereas the likes of Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz, Alex Rodriguez, Jason Giambi, Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, etc. did in fact affect the outcomes of games. Where does the line need to be drawn? Should Pete be allowed in while the juicers aren't? Should the juicers be allowed in even though many of them were never proven but only suspected of taking? Should both be allowed in or neither?

Personally, I voted for Pete to be allowed in while the juicers shouldn't be. Yes, what Pete Rose did was wrong, but was it really worse than taking steroids and cheating the game in a more unforgivable manner in my opinion? I think not. Plus, I feel Pete has served his time. I'd like to see him in while he's still alive. I always thought Pete deserved to be in even before this whole Steroid Era was brought into the limelight.

Hall of Fame voting
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 04/16/11 07:04 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Re: Hall of Fame voting: Gamblers vs. Steroid Users [Re: Irishman12] #600121
04/16/11 07:22 PM
04/16/11 07:22 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Pete Rose bet on baseball, denied it until he got a fat paycheck for a book, and I think he pissed away most of the feel-good support he had for his case.

If you ask me, I'm for him being on the HOF ballot. After he dies.

Of course if Baseball wouldn't forgive "Shoeless" Joe Jackson after all these decades (and focus of a baseball movie classic), Charlie Hustle doesn't have a prayer.

Re: Hall of Fame voting: Gamblers vs. Steroid Users [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #600122
04/16/11 07:32 PM
04/16/11 07:32 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Of course if Baseball wouldn't forgive "Shoeless" Joe Jackson after all these decades (and focus of a baseball movie classic), Charlie Hustle doesn't have a prayer.

That's it in a nutshell.

Re: Hall of Fame voting: Gamblers vs. Steroid Users [Re: SC] #600123
04/16/11 08:05 PM
04/16/11 08:05 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
this is difficult saying because sooner or later the hall of fame will have a couple inductees under that suspicion (one including ricky henderson). and, i believe that once it is found out that steroid user (suspected or proven guilty) is in the hof, then i believe pete rose and shoeless joe jackson should be in it.

but, i do believe that roger maris and ron santo should get in the hof before those who may have cheated on the game, and those who were banned.

Re: Hall of Fame voting: Gamblers vs. Steroid Users [Re: BAM_233] #600130
04/17/11 04:04 AM
04/17/11 04:04 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: BAM_233
this is difficult saying because sooner or later the hall of fame will have a couple inductees under that suspicion (one including ricky henderson). and, i believe that once it is found out that steroid user (suspected or proven guilty) is in the hof, then i believe pete rose and shoeless joe jackson should be in it.

Whoa whoa. Suspicion is one thing, but that's not equal to fact or evidence or anything.

Let's put it this way. You can suspect Albert Pujols of roiding up simply because of his achievement alone in the annals of baseball history: First 10 seasons, every year never batting below .300, never belting less than 30 Home Runs or 100 RBI. Peter Gammons calls him one of the ten greatest players ever. And why not?

But has he failed a drug test? Nope. Until he tests positive after pissing in a cup, he's innocent. Just because you kick ass doesn't mean you necessarily fucking cheat. I don't know the story behind Mr. Henderson, but until I'm given evidence that the fucker cheated, well I won't convict the guy.

but, i do believe that roger maris and ron santo should get in the hof before those who may have cheated on the game, and those who were banned.

I do too, but I do understand the arguments against them, for they are borderline candidates. I would also add Don Mattingly and Dale Murphy.

The real question I want to ask is when (if ever) do any of the tainted heroes get elected? For now Bonds/Clemens/Palmero/Sosa/McGwire/etc. are all persona non grata, at best 20% on ballots when you need over 75% to get elected.

Surely that can't last forever. With new candidates every year (some borderline, some obvious), the voting for those guys will ever rise or fall. What will happen?

Still there are two fringe benefits of the Roid Era. They forced fans and writers to re-evaluate the careers of great sluggers overshadowed in recent decades: Jim Rice and Andre Dawson. If the Roid Scandals hadn't happened, they would still be outside looking in regarding the Hall of Fame.

(Helped too that nobody has ever accused of them of roiding up. "Clean" sluggers are the rage. Notice that recent 60 MINUTES story on Mr. Pujols, the "Face of Baseball." )

Re: Hall of Fame voting: Gamblers vs. Steroid Users [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #600144
04/17/11 02:40 PM
04/17/11 02:40 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss

Whoa whoa. Suspicion is one thing, but that's not equal to fact or evidence or anything.

Let's put it this way. You can suspect Albert Pujols of roiding up simply because of his achievement alone in the annals of baseball history: First 10 seasons, every year never batting below .300, never belting less than 30 Home Runs or 100 RBI. Peter Gammons calls him one of the ten greatest players ever. And why not?

But has he failed a drug test? Nope. Until he tests positive after pissing in a cup, he's innocent. Just because you kick ass doesn't mean you necessarily fucking cheat. I don't know the story behind Mr. Henderson, but until I'm given evidence that the fucker cheated, well I won't convict the guy.

I do too, but I do understand the arguments against them, for they are borderline candidates. I would also add Don Mattingly and Dale Murphy.

The real question I want to ask is when (if ever) do any of the tainted heroes get elected? For now Bonds/Clemens/Palmero/Sosa/McGwire/etc. are all persona non grata, at best 20% on ballots when you need over 75% to get elected.

Surely that can't last forever. With new candidates every year (some borderline, some obvious), the voting for those guys will ever rise or fall. What will happen?

Still there are two fringe benefits of the Roid Era. They forced fans and writers to re-evaluate the careers of great sluggers overshadowed in recent decades: Jim Rice and Andre Dawson. If the Roid Scandals hadn't happened, they would still be outside looking in regarding the Hall of Fame.

(Helped too that nobody has ever accused of them of roiding up. "Clean" sluggers are the rage. Notice that recent 60 MINUTES story on Mr. Pujols, the "Face of Baseball." )

the ricky henderson one was brought up by canseco on the day of his induction. but, yea i do understand that unless a report from mlb comes out, then they are clean.

i just wonder about those who did admitted it or apologized about it, would they stay out forever with those who never admitted to it or will they go in alot sooner?

Re: Hall of Fame voting: Gamblers vs. Steroid Users [Re: BAM_233] #600156
04/17/11 07:29 PM
04/17/11 07:29 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
the ricky henderson one was brought up by canseco on the day of his induction. but, yea i do understand that unless a report from mlb comes out, then they are clean.

The first batch of guys Canseco fingered (haha), well they turned out to be basically...true?

But then afterwards he would name new names, people not mentioned in his book...and yeah, shit quickly got fishy. I'm reminded of Pistone writing a second book about his Mob-FBI days, and you wonder this guy didn't include those "new details" in the first place. Then you figure: KA-CHING!

i just wonder about those who did admitted it or apologized about it, would they stay out forever with those who never admitted to it or will they go in alot sooner?

Good question. And I don't know.

Interesting some guys mentioned in the Mitchel Report, nothing more has come from it. For example, would-be future Hall of Famer Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez.

Re: Hall of Fame voting: Gamblers vs. Steroid Users [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #600157
04/17/11 07:49 PM
04/17/11 07:49 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia

You have a slippery slope: if the steroiders are out, then why not the amphetamines guys from the sixties, or why not modern spitballers?

I've come to think that the people best-qualified to decide which cheating was over the line is the current Hall of Famers. I would cut the period the writers have to vote from 15 down to 5 years, and then let the players take over. The Hall allowed the current Hall of Famers to act as the Veterans Committee for a few years, but stupidly changed the makeup of the committee a few years ago.

I don't think the gamblers should be allowed in. Jackson threw the Series and admitted it. With respect to Rose, all we have is his word that his gambling didn't hurt the Reds. He brought a good team home in second place four times, and the team won the Series the first year after he was gone. The only way that doesn't look fishy is if you start from the assumption that Pete Rose just wouldn't do that.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Hall of Fame voting: Gamblers vs. Steroid Users [Re: mustachepete] #600168
04/18/11 10:08 AM
04/18/11 10:08 AM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: mustachepete

You have a slippery slope: if the steroiders are out, then why not the amphetamines guys from the sixties, or why not modern spitballers?

I've come to think that the people best-qualified to decide which cheating was over the line is the current Hall of Famers. I would cut the period the writers have to vote from 15 down to 5 years, and then let the players take over. The Hall allowed the current Hall of Famers to act as the Veterans Committee for a few years, but stupidly changed the makeup of the committee a few years ago.

I don't think the gamblers should be allowed in. Jackson threw the Series and admitted it. With respect to Rose, all we have is his word that his gambling didn't hurt the Reds. He brought a good team home in second place four times, and the team won the Series the first year after he was gone. The only way that doesn't look fishy is if you start from the assumption that Pete Rose just wouldn't do that.

Except for the fact that the 1989 Reds finished in 5th place and were 17 games out of first place. They swapped Franco for Myers as the closer and acquired Hal Morris at first base, who hit something like .340 for them. Healthy seasons out of Eric Davis and the bullpen, as well as a breakout years for Larkin and Armstrong probably had more to do with it, as well as no more distraction from the Rose investigation.

Last edited by Don Marco; 04/18/11 10:09 AM.

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.