GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 223 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,106
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,694
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
GF, what else.....? #37627
04/04/06 04:11 PM
04/04/06 04:11 PM
California
WildTrout Offline OP
Wiseguy
WildTrout  Offline OP
Wiseguy
California
I watched #1 & #2 last night & I never tire of this quality, well acted set of movies. grin Was there ever another movie that had three actors from the same movie nominated for best supporting actor? I doubt it.

But if Clemenza can figure a way to have a weapon planted there for me then I'll kill 'em both.
Re: GF, what else.....? #37628
04/04/06 06:13 PM
04/04/06 06:13 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Good question Wildtrout, and unfortunately I am not sure of the answer. You may get a better response by posting this question over in the General Discussion Thread as there are many members here who frequent that thread more than they do this one. Not to mention that many that post over in the General Discussion Thread are also very knowledgable about these types of questions.

Welcome to the boards.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: GF, what else.....? #37629
04/04/06 06:44 PM
04/04/06 06:44 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
"On the Waterfront". (Lee J. Cobb, Rod Steiger and Karl Malden). It starred some guy whose name I can't remember. tongue

Re: GF, what else.....? #37630
04/04/06 06:51 PM
04/04/06 06:51 PM
California
WildTrout Offline OP
Wiseguy
WildTrout  Offline OP
Wiseguy
California
Thank You & Greetings Don Cardi,

Of course you know the three form GF #1:

Al Pacino
Robert Duvall
James Caan

I'm still surprised that one of them didn't win, as they all turned in masterful performances.

But if Clemenza can figure a way to have a weapon planted there for me then I'll kill 'em both.
Re: GF, what else.....? #37631
04/04/06 06:55 PM
04/04/06 06:55 PM
California
WildTrout Offline OP
Wiseguy
WildTrout  Offline OP
Wiseguy
California
VERY good Consigliere!

I really didn't think there were another three from the same movie. Did any of them actually win?

eek

Re: GF, what else.....? #37632
04/04/06 07:52 PM
04/04/06 07:52 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by WildTrout:
...I'm still surprised that one of them didn't win, as they all turned in masterful performances.
Then I guess you have never seen Joel Grey's performance in 'Cabaret', the man who beat out the GF-3 that year.

For what it's worth, Grey himself said shortly after getting his Oscar that he was sure the winner would be Al Pacino and not himself.

Funny...Joe Pesci said exactly the same thing some 20 years later!!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: GF, what else.....? #37633
04/05/06 10:15 AM
04/05/06 10:15 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by WildTrout:
I really didn't think there were another three from the same movie. Did any of them actually win?
"Godfather II" had three nominees as well (Michael Gazzo, Lee Strassberg and winner, Robert DeNiro).

None of the three nominees for "On the Waterfront" won. frown

Re: GF, what else.....? #37634
04/08/06 05:14 AM
04/08/06 05:14 AM
Cristina's Way Offline
Underboss
Cristina's Way  Offline
Underboss
Incidentally, there was also ONE movie that garnered Academy Award nominations for three of its stars in the BEST ACTOR category. That was Mutiny on The Bounty in 1935: Clark Gable, Charles Laughton, and Franchot Tone were all nominated (and all lost to Victor McLaglan of The Informer).

I'm glad you posted this thread WildTrout, because discussing the acting performances in the Godfather films is something I never tire of. If you're a film connoisseur like I am (and you must be, since you appreciate The Godfather smile ), I recommend www.filmsite.org\'s essay-type reviews of The Godfather and The Godfather Part II . Also, if you visit the internet movie database , click the "Awards and Nominations" link on The Godfather page. This was something I did recently, and it was interesting to see the various honours GF1 and GF2 were given (or cheated out of [Linked Image] [Linked Image]; as in life, sometimes the Oscars, the Golden Globes, et. al are just not fair!!)

But what I really found to be fascinating reading was a web page that I just came across, which proposes The Hindsight Awards -- who and what should have won Academy Awards over the years. (Click the "Just for Fun" link when you get to the main page.) Here is what they said about The Godfather in 1972:
BEST PICTURE
What won: The Godfather What should have won: no disagreement. The Godfather was the rightful winner.

BEST ACTOR
Who won: Marlon Brando for The Godfather Who should have won: Al Pacino for The Godfather

BEST ACTRESS
Who won: Liza Minnelli for Cabaret Who should have won: no disagreement; they liked Liza.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Who won: Joel Gray for Cabaret Who should have won: James Caan for The Godfather

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Who won: Eileen Heckart for Butterflies are Free Who should have won: Claire Bloom for Limelight (even though she wasn't nominated)

BEST DIRECTOR
Who won: Bob Fosse for Cabaret Who should have won: Francis Ford Coppola for The Godfather
I mostly got a kick out of the accompanying essay. Some interesting opinions were expressed:
1972 was a very strange year for movie awards, as the Academy managed to honor The Godfather and snub it at the same time. One of the most eagerly anticipated films ever made, The Godfather didn't disappoint, featuring an iconic performance by Marlon Brando and star-making ones by Al Pacino, James Caan and Robert Duvall, dynamic direction by Francis Coppola, and one of the most quoted and memorable scripts in film history. Ranked as the third greatest American film ever made by the AFI (after Citizen Kane and Casablanca), The Godfather was the overwhelming favorite at the Oscars and took home the Best Picture award.

Yet the Academy's admiration for The Godafther was grudging at best, allotting its only additional awards to Marlon Brando as Best Actor and for the film's screenplay. The movie the Academy really seemed to prefer in 1972 was Bob Fosse's comparatively forgotten film of the stage musical Cabaret, giving it eight awards, the most ever awarded for a film that didn't go on to win Best Picture. With the landmark status now afforded The Godfather, some of the awards Cabaret was given seem very peculiar indeed (especially Fosse's selection as Best Director over DGA winner Coppola and Best Supporting Actor Joel Grey over Pacino). Cabaret is a fine film on its own merit, but compared with the masterpiece that is The Godfather, it simply ceases to exist.

THE WORST AWARD [yes, this is the author's actual title for this next segment; it's not something I inserted]

When NBC aired An Evening With Fred Astaire in 1958, the landmark special won an unprecedented nine Emmy Awards. But the only award Astaire won personally, Best Single Performance by an Actor, caused a major controversy; because while his indelible charm and magnificent dancing made the show one of the most memorable in television's Golden Age, his performance couldn't really be categorized as acting. Joel Grey's Best Supporting Actor winning-turn as the Master of Ceremony in Cabaret falls into a similar situation, because while there is no denying his brilliance in singing and dancing the numbers in the title setting or that he provides a chilling presence, the role does not require him to create a characterization where he truly interacts with the other characters. He has no dialogue in the role, and the character (which is really nothing more than a dramatic device) does not have what acting students typically describe as "an arch."

In a lesser year it might not have mattered, but 1972 offered some of the greatest acting ever seen in supporting film roles. The best of these were from The Godfather, which garnered a record-tying three supporting nominations for Al Pacino (who really should have been nominated - and won - in the Best Actor category), James Caan and Robert Duvall, but which offered equally impressive work by Sterling Hayden, John Marley, and particularly by the underappreciated Richard Castellano (who The Godfather author Mario Puzo felt was robbed of a nomination). Enduring work was also offered by Eddie Albert in The Heartbreak Kid..., Ned Beatty in Deliverance,... and the great Buster Keaton [for] his performance in Chaplin's Limelight...

BIGGEST OVERSIGHT [again, this is the author's title]

[C]inematographer Gordon Willis... his landmark work on The Godfather was overlooked, in a year when the Academy chose to honor such conventionally photographed films as 1776, Butterflies are Free and Travels With My Aunt...
After reading the above, I thought the author surely belongs on this board... until I skipped to 1974 and read what was written about The Godfather Part II confused ; not as enthusiastic as we are about that one frown .

Re: GF, what else.....? #37635
04/13/06 01:37 PM
04/13/06 01:37 PM
California
WildTrout Offline OP
Wiseguy
WildTrout  Offline OP
Wiseguy
California
Underboss,
I did see Cabaret. I still think any of the three from GF-1 were better.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull