GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (dixiemafia, Malavita, Irishman12, 1 invisible), 248 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,669
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,191
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,519
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,390
Posts1,059,943
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Godfather in the hospital after being shot #37511
03/26/06 11:00 PM
03/26/06 11:00 PM
R
rtgriff Offline OP
Associate
rtgriff  Offline OP
R
Associate
After the Godfather was shot, Michael goes to the hospital and finds the men guarding his father were sent home. We later find out that the police chief, who was being paid off by another family (i think) sent them away. Why wasn't sonny notified by any of these guys that they weren't guarding the godfather anymore?

Re: The Godfather in the hospital after being shot #37512
03/26/06 11:13 PM
03/26/06 11:13 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by rtgriff:
After the Godfather was shot, Michael goes to the hospital and finds the men guarding his father were sent home. We later find out that the police chief, who was being paid off by another family (i think) sent them away. Why wasn't sonny notified by any of these guys that they weren't guarding the godfather anymore?
They weren't just sent away, they were arrested and locked up.

I thought I got all you guinea hoods locked up! What the hell are you doing here?
Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: The Godfather in the hospital after being shot #37513
03/27/06 07:11 PM
03/27/06 07:11 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
But the nurse says that the police made them leave (not arrested) because they were interfering with hospital routine. Although we don't know the timelines, it is logical to assume that at least one of them would have gotten away. Also, what made the hospital staff disappear and why was there just one nurse or even one nurse on duty if a hit was intended?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: The Godfather in the hospital after being shot #37514
03/27/06 09:49 PM
03/27/06 09:49 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
McClusky could've made the nurse hear anything he wanted her to hear. Let's suppose he made the men leave the hospital and then arrested them outside the building, where the nurse would not be a witness.

Let's assume one of them didn't get away to call Sonny.

It's 1945. Let's assume it's normal for one nurse to be on duty.

Otherwise, we better get Puzo back from the dead because he's got some serious 'splainin to do.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: The Godfather in the hospital after being shot #37515
03/28/06 04:14 AM
03/28/06 04:14 AM
Detroit, Michigan
weran_everything Offline
Wiseguy
weran_everything  Offline
Wiseguy
Detroit, Michigan
In the novel I'm pretty sure it says that McCluskey locked all of the "guinea hoods" up.

"We ran everything. We paid off cops. We paid off lawyers. We paid off judges. Everybody had their hands out. Everything was for the taking." - Goodfellas.
Re: The Godfather in the hospital after being shot #37516
03/28/06 05:20 AM
03/28/06 05:20 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
But then Michael says

"What happened to the detectives who were supposed to be guarding my father. Who pulled them off that detail?"

Which implies that it was policeman who were supposed to be guarding Don Corleone.

And McCluskey confirms this by answering

"You fucking hood, who the hell are you to tell me my business? I pulled them off.

But then, Michael, thinking to himself, wonders if Sollozzo - after driving by the hospital and seeing him and Enzo outside - hadn't called McCluskey and asked him

"How come the Corleones' men are still around the hospital when I oaid you to lock them up?"

So which was it? Who was supposed to be guarding Vito Corleone? Family members or policemen?

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: The Godfather in the hospital after being shot #37517
03/28/06 06:15 AM
03/28/06 06:15 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by plawrence:
So which was it? Who was supposed to be guarding Vito Corleone? Family members or policemen?
Both. The Family would've counted on their men to guard Vito but they (probably) weren't licensed to carry firearms and would've been an easy arrest for McCluskey to effect.

As captain of the precinct McCluskey could've easily pulled the detectives guarding Vito's room for other assignments. (The City will routinely assign policemen to this type of security detail in an attempted killing of any "major" figure).

What bothers me is why the detective on the Corleone's payroll (Sonny's "man" in McCluskey's precinct) didn't call Sonny to let him know Vito's room was left unguarded.

Re: The Godfather in the hospital after being shot #37518
03/28/06 06:28 AM
03/28/06 06:28 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Originally posted by SC:
[b] So which was it? Who was supposed to be guarding Vito Corleone? Family members or policemen?
Both. [/b]
But it makes me wonder if this wasn't possibly another example of sloppy writing by Puzo.

Having McCluskey either arrest Vito's family member-guards or pulling the police detectives off the guard detail would have been enough to advance the plot by showing that McCluskey was on Sollozzo's payroll.

But the way it's written, it's like Michael and McCluskey are talking about two different things.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: The Godfather in the hospital after being shot #37519
03/28/06 10:14 AM
03/28/06 10:14 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by SC:
[b] So which was it? Who was supposed to be guarding Vito Corleone? Family members or policemen?
Both. The Family would've counted on their men to guard Vito but they (probably) weren't licensed to carry firearms and would've been an easy arrest for McCluskey to effect.

As captain of the precinct McCluskey could've easily pulled the detectives guarding Vito's room for other assignments. (The City will routinely assign policemen to this type of security detail in an attempted killing of any "major" figure).

What bothers me is why the detective on the Corleone's payroll (Sonny's "man" in McCluskey's precinct) didn't call Sonny to let him know Vito's room was left unguarded. [/b]
The question is how long were they gone before Michael arrived at the hospital? Perhaps it all happened very quickly and Sonny's man had not found out about it just yet.

McClusky may have pulled the cops and had the private bodyguards arrested.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: The Godfather in the hospital after being shot #37520
03/28/06 10:22 AM
03/28/06 10:22 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by SC:
[QUOTE]... why the detective on the Corleone's payroll (Sonny's "man" in McCluskey's precinct) didn't call Sonny to let him know Vito's room was left unguarded.
Because then we wouldn't have been able to see Michael doing it. Or to see him heroically moving his father to another room and then holding off the hired assasins, thus saving Vito's life from this second attempt.

Because this was to be Michael's moment, his 'coming of age'...and if there had been any guards near his father he wouldn't have had it. And none of what happened afterwards would have followed.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: The Godfather in the hospital after being shot #37521
03/28/06 03:27 PM
03/28/06 03:27 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I think SC's and Puzo's questions are right on. We know for sure that there was a detective (Phillips?) on the family's payroll (he tried to intervene for Mike) and there was certainly enough time for him to have notified Sonny. But Apple has a point also. When writing fiction, one can't make too much sense.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: The Godfather in the hospital after being shot #37522
03/28/06 03:36 PM
03/28/06 03:36 PM
Puzo Offline
Wiseguy
Puzo  Offline
Wiseguy
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
Originally posted by SC:
[b] [QUOTE]... why the detective on the Corleone's payroll (Sonny's "man" in McCluskey's precinct) didn't call Sonny to let him know Vito's room was left unguarded.
Because then we wouldn't have been able to see Michael doing it. Or to see him heroically moving his father to another room and then holding off the hired assasins, thus saving Vito's life from this second attempt.

Because this was to be Michael's moment, his 'coming of age'...and if there had been any guards near his father he wouldn't have had it. And none of what happened afterwards would have followed.

Apple [/b]
i totally agree with that..
because in the beggining micheal wasn't planning to take his father's place (in fact he refused and hated what his father did)..
So Puzo needed a strike to let micheal change his mind
and that's where he comes to the hospital and found himself responsible of his father's safety
and you all know what follows..

Puzo wink

in my house..IN MY HOUSE..IN MY BEDROOM! WHERE MY WIFE SLEEPS,where my children comes to play with thier toys..
Re: The Godfather in the hospital after being shot #37523
03/28/06 04:10 PM
03/28/06 04:10 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
Otherwise, we better get Puzo back from the dead because he's got some serious 'splainin to do.

Apple
lol Das right, Loo-sey! lol
And if someone had gotten to Sonny, and he'd acted quickly, Michael wouldn't have had his opportunity to rescue his old man and to say, most significantly, "I'm with you now, Pop." And we wouldn't have had the GF Trilogy. ohwell

"You fucking hood, who the hell are you to tell me my business? [b]I pulled them off.

[/b]
I'm surprised they didn't come back for more... grin

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull