GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (CleanBandit), 203 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,948
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,341
Posts1,058,948
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why made men kiss #598446
03/24/11 04:36 PM
03/24/11 04:36 PM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline OP
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline OP
BANNED
V
Underboss
Why do made men kiss? Traditionally, I believe it's just slightly more than the "air kiss," popular among the Social Registry types -- a lip brush on both cheeks, not a full lip-to-lip smack. (That would be the kiss of death, according to either Mario Puzo or Mafia tradition; who can tell the difference?)

Jimmy Breslin, in his great book The Good Rat, explains exactly how this tradition started: It involves a chance meet between Sonny Franzese and Joey Brancato on Lorimer Street and Metropolitan Avenue, right near where I recently was visiting a new apartment building for a real estate story I was writing.

The rest of this post, apocryphal or true, is excerpted from the prologue to Breslin's book, The Good Rat:

What I'm doing, I'm kissing the mirror, and I'm doing it so I can see myself kissing and get it exactly right. ... This way I can go into the club house and kiss them on the cheeks the way I'm supposed to. That's the Mafia. We kiss hello. We don't shake hands. We kiss.

I am at the mirror because I'm afraid of lousing up on kissing. ... This is real Mafia. For years cops and newspaper reporters glorified the swearing- in ceremony with the needle and the holy picture in flames and the old guy asking the new guy questions, like they all knew so much. The whole thing added up to zero. The kissing is different. It comes from strength and meaning. If you kiss, it is a real sign that you're in the outfit. You see a man at the bar, you kiss him. You meet people anyplace, you kiss them. Like a man. It doesn't matter who sees you. They're supposed to see.

It all started when John "Sonny" Franzese and Joey Brancato, both big guys in the Colombo outfit, bumped into each other one day on the corner of Lorimer Street and Metropolitan Avenue in Greenpoint, which is in Brooklyn, and they kissed each other on the cheeks. The only thing anybody on Metropolitan Avenue knew was that they had never seen it done before. The moment the men kissed, it became a street rule. This was at least fi fty years ago. Immediately they were doing it on 101st Avenue in Ozone Park and Cross Bay Boulevard in Howard Beach. Soon even legitimate citizens were doing it.

Sonny Franzese was born in Italy, brought here by his family when he was two. The family settled on Lorimer Street, which is made of two- story frame houses, home built, and a bakery and restaurant. At a young age, Sonny failed to behave. In school he also fell short. Even in the army for a brief time, he received a poor report card. He sparkled on local police reports and his name got stars on FBI sheets.

The feds soon realized all they had to do was follow guys who kiss each other and they'd know the whole Mafia. Still nobody stopped.

Some guys said that Sonny Franzese had nothing to do with it. "Italian men always kiss," they claimed. But my friend Anthony — Tony Cafe — who is the boss of Metropolitan Avenue, says that when Sonny Franzese and Joey Brancato kissed it was the start of a great way for tough guys to know each other. It's like a password, only it's more personal.

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008
Re: Why made men kiss [Re: VinnyGorgeous] #598448
03/24/11 04:38 PM
03/24/11 04:38 PM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline OP
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline OP
BANNED
V
Underboss
I have no idea if this is true or not, but this article is taken from http://cosa-nostra-news.blogspot.com/. Perhaps there's somebody here who could shed more light on this. Sonny's legendary status is getting shockingly solid lol .

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008
Re: Why made men kiss [Re: VinnyGorgeous] #598486
03/25/11 12:48 AM
03/25/11 12:48 AM
US
H
HermitKermit Offline
Made Member
HermitKermit  Offline
H
Made Member
US
I'm originally from Monterrey, Mexico and we "kiss" between men family members here too but it's more of a respect and kindness even though Mexico has a pretty macho culture. I didn't really think about it back then until a several weeks ago when I visited family in Monterrey I haven't seen in years. It felt weird when my uncle "kissed" me because I haven't been greeted like that in years.

Re: Why made men kiss [Re: HermitKermit] #598866
03/30/11 09:32 AM
03/30/11 09:32 AM
Cesena Italy
L
ledblimp Offline
Made Member
ledblimp  Offline
L
Made Member
Cesena Italy
It's a cultural thing. It's normal for Italian men (friends/family) to kiss on the cheek. It just morphed into a mob thing in America.

Re: Why made men kiss [Re: VinnyGorgeous] #598874
03/30/11 01:08 PM
03/30/11 01:08 PM
Mukremin Offline
Underboss
Mukremin  Offline
Underboss
Its a common thing to in Turkish culture, we do it all the time.

Up to date mafia charts --> https://cosanostracharts.wordpress.com/

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull