GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 52 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,683
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Merlino vs Stanfa #597127
03/11/11 08:42 PM
03/11/11 08:42 PM
Ontario
M
Mussolini14 Offline OP
Capo
Mussolini14  Offline OP
M
Capo
Ontario
If Stanfa would not have been idicted and the war had continued who do you think would have won between these two factions and why?

Thank you for your time.

Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: Mussolini14] #597130
03/11/11 09:10 PM
03/11/11 09:10 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
I think Joey would have won, his faction was very gutsy (especially after that daylight hit attempt on Stanfa on the freeway) and Stanfas faction no matter what was going down at some point due to some fbi cooperators amongst him.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: Mussolini14] #597136
03/12/11 02:41 AM
03/12/11 02:41 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

A poster on another forum pretty much summed it up when the same question was asked...

"If we are looking at it before the indictments came down then you can say the Stanfa Faction won. Mikey Chang was dead, Joey Merlino was in prison and the remaining crew members went into hiding basically. Stanfa and his crew had taken over the street tax operation the Merlino faction was running (which was what the whole war was about) and everyone started paying Stanfa. So in that sense Stanfa won. He didn't have long to enjoy of course."

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: Mussolini14] #597143
03/12/11 08:25 AM
03/12/11 08:25 AM
T
thebarber Offline
Underboss
thebarber  Offline
T
Underboss
Stanfa had new york behind him also that's a huge advantage

Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: thebarber] #597149
03/12/11 09:55 AM
03/12/11 09:55 AM
J
jvanley Offline
Made Member
jvanley  Offline
J
Made Member
To say that Stanfa had NY behind him was an advantage was false. Yes NY did back Stanfa as a boss over Merlino but they would not risk their people by getting them involved.

The bottom line is this, the Mafia is about one thing and one thing only, MONEY. If Merlino would have whacked Stanfa NY would have went along with it if Merlino was bringing in cash on their joint ventures.

FatGirl:Your cute
Me:Ok
FatGirl:So you wanna buy me a drink?
Me:No
FatGirl:Why not?
Me:Well Its tricky pumpkin,If I buy u a drink, every fat girl in here would think I liked fat girls & ask me to buy them a drink also. See ,I dont like fat girls unless im wasted and given Im only one drink deep so far, so you better buy me the drink honey, cause this 20 bucks aint covering the booze and drive thru ill need to take you home tonight

08/13/2009-jvanley Spanky Bar, 3rd stool from the left
Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: jvanley] #597151
03/12/11 10:48 AM
03/12/11 10:48 AM
T
thebarber Offline
Underboss
thebarber  Offline
T
Underboss
Now a days that may b true but 20 years ago u couldn't b more wrong. With guys like the chin gigante around u did not go against the orders from new york if u knew what was in yur best interest

Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: thebarber] #597153
03/12/11 11:06 AM
03/12/11 11:06 AM
J
jvanley Offline
Made Member
jvanley  Offline
J
Made Member
Originally Posted By: thebarber
Now a days that may b true but 20 years ago u couldn't b more wrong. With guys like the chin gigante around u did not go against the orders from new york if u knew what was in yur best interest

There were no "orders" issued from NY on this matter. The Philly Mob makes their own decisions, they simply "reach out" to NY to see what their stance is. Look, if Merlino had killed Stanfa the NY Comission would have backed Merlino unless he was not cooperating on their joint ventures.

Me:Well Its tricky pumpkin,If I buy u a drink, every fat girl in here would think I liked fat girls & ask me to buy them a drink also. See ,I dont like fat girls unless im wasted and given Im only one drink deep so far, so you better buy me the drink honey, cause this 20 bucks aint covering the booze and drive thru ill need to take you home tonight

Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: jvanley] #597155
03/12/11 11:29 AM
03/12/11 11:29 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: jvanley

There were no "orders" issued from NY on this matter. The Philly Mob makes their own decisions, they simply "reach out" to NY to see what their stance is. Look, if Merlino had killed Stanfa the NY Comission would have backed Merlino unless he was not cooperating on their joint ventures.

Just like Caponigro no?

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: Sonny_Black] #597161
03/12/11 12:55 PM
03/12/11 12:55 PM
J
jvanley Offline
Made Member
jvanley  Offline
J
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

Just like Caponigro no?

Dont know who that is, I am assuming its an example of something to contradict what I said. I could be wrong, no doubt. One thing I am not is stubborn. If someone proves me wrong, I admit it. So I am assuming thats what your referring to? If so fill me in cause I obviously think I am right and am always open to learning!

Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: jvanley] #597164
03/12/11 02:17 PM
03/12/11 02:17 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss

Just like Caponigro no?

Dont know who that is, I am assuming its an example of something to contradict what I said. I could be wrong, no doubt. One thing I am not is stubborn. If someone proves me wrong, I admit it. So I am assuming thats what your referring to? If so fill me in cause I obviously think I am right and am always open to learning!

Caponigro was Bruno's consigliere and was considered responsible for Bruno's murder. He was summoned to New York to appear before the commission and explain why he did it. That was the last time he was seen alive.

So nobody could just kill the "recognised" boss of the Philly mob and get away with it.

Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: Mussolini14] #597166
03/12/11 02:45 PM
03/12/11 02:45 PM
P
PhillyKid Offline
Made Member
PhillyKid  Offline
P
Made Member
Stanfa was a dope and had no business being boss, he didn't even know how run a sports book. He recruited waiters because they were greaseballs like him, that and some scarfo era rejects like frank martines, al pagano and gino tripodi. Those guys were nobodies under scarfo, now they're capos under stanfa.

Joey knows how to survive, and he did. Stanfa had the backing of the gambinos because they wanted their guy in charge down in philly since scarfo was finished and he was genovese backed. NY backing hasn't meant anything in 25 years, they didn't help stanfa out.

Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: Mussolini14] #597168
03/12/11 02:48 PM
03/12/11 02:48 PM
P
PhillyKid Offline
Made Member
PhillyKid  Offline
P
Made Member
Sonny, Caponigro was given permission to kill bruno by funzi tieri and he ended up being doubled crossed by the genovese. Had tieri said no he wouldn't have made a move, but tieri told him he would have his back but he ended up hanging him out to dry so he could take over his bookmaking operation and put a genovese backed guy in as boss in philly...two birds with one stone.

Testa and scarfo were also planning on killing bruno around that time too..bruno alienated a lot of important people starting in the mid 70s and guys were tired of him, nobody was making money, it was only a matter of who had the balls to do it.

Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: Mussolini14] #597171
03/12/11 03:21 PM
03/12/11 03:21 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I'm aware of the story, but nevertheless I think Merlino couldn't get away with it if he killed Stanfa.

He was street thug and wasn't a cashcow so there would have been enough reason for New York to punish him if he would have taken out Stanfa, but who knows...

On the other end, New York was in turmoil itself..

Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: Mussolini14] #597174
03/12/11 04:22 PM
03/12/11 04:22 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

For the record, while the Stanfa faction had the Gambino family's support. The Natale/Merlino faction had the Genovese family's support. It was basically a "cold war" between those two New York families, as they did not want the other one to gain an upper hand in Philadelphia.

Of course, later on you had people from the Genovese and Gambino families plotting with several Philly guys to take out Ligambi, Mazzone, and Borghese. And after that, Ligambi is eventually supported by the Genovese and Gambino families.

Typical LCN politics.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: jvanley] #597176
03/12/11 04:30 PM
03/12/11 04:30 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Just like Caponigro no?

thebarber is correct if we're talking back in the early 1980's. After Phil Testa was killed, Scarfo want to New York to make sure everyone knew he was not behind it. The Genovese family basically decided what would happen. Who would take over, who would retire in Florida, and who would die. Scarfo was put in as boss, being supported by the Genovese. They had actually wanted him to take over before but Scarfo had felt Testa deserved it more.

Fast forward and you had the Gambinos putting their guy (Stanfa) in charge. Obviously many of the local guys in the Merlino faction didn't care for this though.

Most recently, in one of his weekly videos George Anastasia was talking about how the Genovese and Gambino families have wanted Ligambi to change up his administration; replacing Mazzone and Borghese with Staino and Lucibello. But the implication was it's ultimately Ligambi's decision.

In sum, it appears there is still a certain amount of influence from New York but the ties between the families are too fractured for them to be able to call the shots like they used to.

Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: IvyLeague] #597181
03/12/11 04:56 PM
03/12/11 04:56 PM
H
ht2 Offline
Capo
ht2  Offline
H
Capo
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

thebarber is correct if we're talking back in the early 1980's. After Phil Testa was killed, Scarfo want to New York to make sure everyone knew he was not behind it. The Genovese family basically decided what would happen. Who would take over, who would retire in Florida, and who would die. Scarfo was put in as boss, being supported by the Genovese. They had actually wanted him to take over before but Scarfo had felt Testa deserved it more.

Fast forward and you had the Gambinos putting their guy (Stanfa) in charge. Obviously many of the local guys in the Merlino faction didn't care for this though.

Most recently, in one of his weekly videos George Anastasia was talking about how the Genovese and Gambino families have wanted Ligambi to change up his administration; replacing Mazzone and Borghese with Staino and Lucibello. But the implication was it's ultimately Ligambi's decision.

In sum, it appears there is still a certain amount of influence from New York but the ties between the families are too fractured for them to be able to call the shots like they used to.

Regarding Scarfo, didn't the Gambino's have a say in the matter of who would be the next boss? I have trouble believing that Paul Castellano would defer everything to the Genovese. After the Caponigro incident, I figured any future Philly boss would want the approval of at least two NY familes to avoid being double crossed.

Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: IvyLeague] #597195
03/12/11 08:45 PM
03/12/11 08:45 PM
Ontario
M
Mussolini14 Offline OP
Capo
Mussolini14  Offline OP
M
Capo
Ontario

Did Scarfo really decide not to make a run at being boss earlier because he felt Phil Testa deserved it more? You could very well be right as I am no expert but knowing what I know about Scarfo I find it hard to believe that was his only motive.

Last edited by Mussolini14; 03/12/11 08:46 PM.
Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: ht2] #597198
03/12/11 09:02 PM
03/12/11 09:02 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: ht2
Regarding Scarfo, didn't the Gambino's have a say in the matter of who would be the next boss? I have trouble believing that Paul Castellano would defer everything to the Genovese. After the Caponigro incident, I figured any future Philly boss would want the approval of at least two NY familes to avoid being double crossed.

I've read in some places that Scarfo met with the heads of both families. And that may have been the case. In other places I've read only about a specific meeting set up with the Genovese leaders.

Philadelphia underboss Phil Casella and captain Frank Narducci were behind Testa's murder. Afterward, Casella called a meeting, blamed the bombing on the Roofers Union, and claimed he had permission from New York to take over. Scarfo didn't buy it and set up a meeting - through Bobby Manna - with Chin Gigante and Fat Tony Salerno. Casella was also told to be there. He showed up, albeit a few hours late. Everyone presented their side of the stories. Chin then told Scarfo he was the new boss of the family. Casella was told to retire to Florida. And after Casella left the room, Chin told Scarfo to kill Frank Narducci and Rocco Marinucci in retaliation for the Testa murder.

Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: Mussolini14] #597307
03/14/11 10:34 AM
03/14/11 10:34 AM
spmob Offline
Underboss
spmob  Offline
Underboss
I always heard it was Genovese. I heard Crazy Phill Leonetti do an interview where he was talking about it but I dont know for sure.

And Ivy league is right. They tried to blame that on the Roofers Union and make it seem that way. They they retaliated for the testa murder.

Sorry I missed this thread cause all was said. Anyway, I always wondered why Stanfa wasnt questioned more or anything done to him for Bruno's murder. He was his driver and was there that night but didn't get shot. Some say he was in on it and others say he wasn't but when they found Tony and his man in the Bronx with dollar bills up there butts. How come nothing happened to STanfa? Was he in on it with New York? Because wasn't New York playing both sides trying to get there hand on AC? They already had there hands on some drug operations in Philly.

Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: spmob] #597326
03/14/11 03:15 PM
03/14/11 03:15 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: spmob
Sorry I missed this thread cause all was said. Anyway, I always wondered why Stanfa wasnt questioned more or anything done to him for Bruno's murder. He was his driver and was there that night but didn't get shot. Some say he was in on it and others say he wasn't but when they found Tony and his man in the Bronx with dollar bills up there butts. How come nothing happened to STanfa? Was he in on it with New York? Because wasn't New York playing both sides trying to get there hand on AC? They already had there hands on some drug operations in Philly.

From what I can tell, Stanfa wasn't in on it. He wasn't even Bruno's regular driver but happened to drive him home that night through happenstance. Also, as turncoat George Freselone pointed out, Bruno had a habit of lowering his window and hooking his fingers over the top. So it wasn't a case of Stanfa lowering the window from the driver's side. And who would be crazy enough to do that when they would know they'd be in the line of fire?

Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: Mussolini14] #597330
03/14/11 04:34 PM
03/14/11 04:34 PM
spmob Offline
Underboss
spmob  Offline
Underboss
Yea I know. I was always curious about that whole situation. Good stuff Ivey! I never heard about the window thing. I was really 50/50 on it before. I use to think no one would ever be in the line of fire but who knows if he was promised something or was in on it...we have seen somewhat similar actions happen before but I am with you. I don't think he knew. I wonder why the shooters didn't take out Stanfa just in case if he knew nothing? Also, Didn't he get shot on an angle more in the back of the head towards his ear angle? So they knew they wouldn't shoot Stanfa? Like I said, from the research I have done...most seem to think he wasn't involved and from what you just said that gives good evidence of the window not being rolled down. Where did you read that George Freslone window thing? I would like to read that. Thats a very intimate detail...id like to ready more of where that came from. Thanks!

Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: Mussolini14] #597331
03/14/11 04:43 PM
03/14/11 04:43 PM
spmob Offline
Underboss
spmob  Offline
Underboss
And I never heard that NY wanted Scarfo before Testa but I could be wrong. Wasn't Scarfo banned to Atlantic City by Bruno before Testa became boss? Testa brought him back in and promoted him to consigliere. It wasn't until Testa died that he went to NY to discuss that and the next boss. At least that's how I heard it. Testa was always head of Scaro in NY and Philly's eyes.

Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: spmob] #597359
03/15/11 01:14 AM
03/15/11 01:14 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Yea I know. I was always curious about that whole situation. Good stuff Ivey! I never heard about the window thing. I was really 50/50 on it before. I use to think no one would ever be in the line of fire but who knows if he was promised something or was in on it...we have seen somewhat similar actions happen before but I am with you. I don't think he knew. I wonder why the shooters didn't take out Stanfa just in case if he knew nothing? Also, Didn't he get shot on an angle more in the back of the head towards his ear angle? So they knew they wouldn't shoot Stanfa? Like I said, from the research I have done...most seem to think he wasn't involved and from what you just said that gives good evidence of the window not being rolled down. Where did you read that George Freslone window thing? I would like to read that. Thats a very intimate detail...id like to ready more of where that came from. Thanks!

If you can find it, I highly suggest you read Blood Oath by George Freselone. One of the best mob books written in my opinion. He talks about the Bruno hit and everything else to do with Philly.

Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: spmob] #597360
03/15/11 01:17 AM
03/15/11 01:17 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

And I never heard that NY wanted Scarfo before Testa but I could be wrong. Wasn't Scarfo banned to Atlantic City by Bruno before Testa became boss? Testa brought him back in and promoted him to consigliere. It wasn't until Testa died that he went to NY to discuss that and the next boss. At least that's how I heard it. Testa was always head of Scaro in NY and Philly's eyes.

Yeah, Scarfo was banned to Atlantic City years before. However, while he was in prison he had become good friends with Bobby Manna, the Genovese consigliere. That's why the Genovese family wanted Scarfo to take over, so they would have "their guy" as boss of the family. But Scarfo felt Testa deserved it more and decided to become the consigliere instead. Of course, Testa didn't last too long and Scarfo ended up taking over soon after. With Scarfo as boss, the Genovese family had inroads into the construction of the hotels and casinos in Atlantic City and even shared control of HEREU Local 54 with the Philly family. Freselone also talks about that in his book.

Re: Merlino vs Stanfa [Re: Mussolini14] #597452
03/15/11 04:36 PM
03/15/11 04:36 PM
spmob Offline
Underboss
spmob  Offline
Underboss
Hey Ivey...The new George Anastasia video...MOb Talk...it actually kind of about the Phil Testa hit and the roofers union and who was really behind it. He was saying how the Philly Mob as a little bit of "March Madness". Today is the aniversary of Phil Testa's death and its also the day Joey got about of Jail. He was also saying how other murders happened in March and how Natale birthday was 3/6, scarfo was 3/8 and Merlino was 3/13. He must really be pulling for stories but he always does a good job. Check it out. I am still going to check out the one on Fox that Meatballs mentioned on another thread.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull