GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 241 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,445
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,848
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,508
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,309
Posts1,058,372
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Patrick] #595876
02/28/11 08:52 AM
02/28/11 08:52 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
So good to hear from you Patrick! Sounds as though you are doing well. I wish you the best of luck on your new job and hope that this is the start of a successful and prosperous career!

Stay in touch.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #595944
02/28/11 08:03 PM
02/28/11 08:03 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline
Patrick  Offline

West Chester, PA
For sure, DC. How you been?

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Patrick] #595947
02/28/11 08:08 PM
02/28/11 08:08 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: Patrick
For sure, DC. How you been?

I'm pretty damn good Patrick. Can't really complain. I can't believe that you have already finished college! Congratulations!

See,I always knew that you had it in you! wink

My goodness. Where have the years gone?

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #595948
02/28/11 08:12 PM
02/28/11 08:12 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline
Patrick  Offline

West Chester, PA
Thanks DC. I have no idea man. Time flies. I am going to be turning 23 in June. It's wild. Once I get settled in at my new job, I am hoping to start graduate school for my Master's in Secondary Counseling here at West Chester. I tried out history right after I graduated, but I just wasn't really into it.

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Patrick] #595951
02/28/11 08:14 PM
02/28/11 08:14 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: Patrick
Once I get settled in at my new job, I am hoping to start graduate school for my Master's in Secondary Counseling here at West Chester.

GOOD FOR YOU PATRICK! EXCELLENT!

Don Cardi cool

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #595982
03/01/11 12:04 AM
03/01/11 12:04 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Tomorrow morning my wife, son and I will be attending a reception and open house for incoming students at the college he has decided to attend. He's going to major in business administration and finance and selected the school because of its reputation in this area. He also liked the fact that it is a smaller school within two hours of home. He was also fortunate to receive a pretty nice academic scholarship.

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #596358
03/05/11 05:25 PM
03/05/11 05:25 PM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Back in 1984, my father got me a job making $50K+ a year right out of high school. It was pretty much an offer I couldn't refuse. I was a top student in high school too, and my mother was not happy that I chose the job over education. But what could I do? $50K back in 1985 was lot of money, especially to a teenager. 26 years later, I don't regret it. I've moved up the ladder, and make a lot of money despite my lack of a college degree. The days of getting a job like mine without a degree are over though. College is pretty much mandatory now if you want to earn a decent living.

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Just Lou] #596380
03/06/11 01:30 AM
03/06/11 01:30 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: Just Lou
Back in 1984, my father got me a job making $50K+ a year right out of high school.

Yeah, well, some of us weren't so lucky. Or maybe it was the field I had chosen, but it wasn't about the money. My first "career" job in counseling only paid $19.5k/year (about 1990) to start, but it was probably the best job I ever had (again, not monetarily). Of course after a career change some years later (unrelated to my college major) income more than tripled for a while. So I don't think it's necessary to have a college degree. At least not if you're smart enough to teach yourself. wink

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #596385
03/06/11 01:55 AM
03/06/11 01:55 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
You got to read this article:

Once the vast majority, [men]now make up just over 40 percent of the nation's college students.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41928806/ns/business-consumer_news

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: J Geoff] #596387
03/06/11 02:29 AM
03/06/11 02:29 AM
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Originally Posted By: J Geoff
Originally Posted By: Just Lou
Back in 1984, my father got me a job making $50K+ a year right out of high school.

Yeah, well, some of us weren't so lucky. Or maybe it was the field I had chosen, but it wasn't about the money. My first "career" job in counseling only paid $19.5k/year (about 1990) to start, but it was probably the best job I ever had (again, not monetarily). Of course after a career change some years later (unrelated to my college major) income more than tripled for a while. So I don't think it's necessary to have a college degree. At least not if you're smart enough to teach yourself. wink

It was luck and politics. smile The job was what it was, but I was good at it. I did get to put my smarts to use when I moved up into management. Out of over 450 people that tested for the position I eventually got, only 9 of us passed the test. I was/am inline for another promotion, but with things shaky in NJ, I don't feel comfortable starting a new position at the bottom of the totem pole.

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #596764
03/09/11 12:38 AM
03/09/11 12:38 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
From time to time I let ya'll know some interesting stories about my students. Here's one from the fall semester.

I had a guy in an online class who failed to turn in November's assignments - three of them. So, I flunked him. He claimed that he had submitted the assignments. Well, the instructional system we use at the college doesn't lie. We had it examined and, sure enough, there was no evidence that he had submitted the assignments. Well, my boss said that in my syllabus I stated that doing the assignments is not an option, and that if you don't do them you will "probably" fail. She's right. It says that. It meant that if you don't do all the assignments because you were in a coma, I might exercise some latitude and let you complete the assignments when you emerge from your coma. Still, my boss said that "probably" might have been misinterpreted by the student. So, I said Okay. Change his grade to a D. She agreed. I'll let you know what happens next.

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: olivant] #596812
03/09/11 02:42 PM
03/09/11 02:42 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: olivant
... He claimed that he had submitted the assignments. Well, the instructional system we use at the college doesn't lie. We had it examined and, sure enough, there was no evidence that he had submitted the assignments. Well, my boss said that in my syllabus I stated that doing the assignments is not an option, and that if you don't do them you will "probably" fail. She's right. It says that...

Just curious about something.

The student was already caught in a lie stating that he HAD submitted the assignments and then it was subsequently proven that he did not. So there was no misinterpretation because when the student deliberately lied, assuming that maybe everyone would think his work got lost in cyberspace...he wasn't really questionning the grade. Was he?

So shouldn't that alone negate the 'probably' issue? How can you (and your boss) you give a 'D' grade on work that does not exist? And how did the unsubmitted assignments fare against his other work throughout the course.

Should've failed him.

Last edited by AppleOnYa; 03/09/11 02:46 PM.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: AppleOnYa] #596880
03/09/11 10:02 PM
03/09/11 10:02 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well, the fact that he lied never came up. Assigning a D will lower his grade point average and will probably not transfer to any other educational institution. He'll end up having to take it over.

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: olivant] #596885
03/09/11 10:30 PM
03/09/11 10:30 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: olivant
Well, the fact that he lied never came up...

Well, it should have.

What you're telling us is that you failed the fellow because he failed to turn in 3 assignments. He then said he did turn them in, which was proven false.

You and your boss then decided to upgrade him to a 'D', because of a completely unrelated issue that he may have misinterpreted your definition of what would 'probably' fail him. Except he lied about it anyway. How could the lie NOT come up...it was the first thing you mentioned here!!

That's great. I don't know what the subject of the course is, but hope that all those who DID submit all 3 assignments (or even 1 or 2) were graded just as generously.

Nothing personal mind you...I'm just interpreting your post & really can't get around that deliberate lie, assuming the computer records can truly be depended upon. If he said he submitted the assignments when he knew he didn't...then it's because he KNEW he would 'probably' fail for not submitting them. Otherwise, why would he bother to lie about it??? He could just say, "You didn't say we would DEFINITELY fail for not turning them in, you only said we would PROBABLY fail! What about all my other work?"

Oh, well...no skin off my nose. Can't wait to read what happens next.

Last edited by AppleOnYa; 03/09/11 10:41 PM.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: AppleOnYa] #596887
03/09/11 10:39 PM
03/09/11 10:39 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I didn't press it. To tell you the truth, I just didn't want to debate or argue the point and if the Dean got involved, this thing could have dragged out into the summer.

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #596889
03/09/11 10:50 PM
03/09/11 10:50 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
I don't blame you, am sure you have more important things to attend to. (Although teaching is one of the most important professions there is.)

It was a bad decision. At least he'll have to re-take the course.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull