GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (mustachepete, 1 invisible), 245 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,445
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,848
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,312
Posts1,058,400
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How Important Is a College Education? #594951
02/20/11 01:29 PM
02/20/11 01:29 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I was just curious to see what some of the thoughts and opinions are regarding the importance of getting a college education.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #594955
02/20/11 01:47 PM
02/20/11 01:47 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Very important, for a variety of reasons:

1. College exposes you to books, subjects and people you wouldn't otherwise encounter--a broadening experience.

2. You need college training to qualify for work in many, many fields and professions.

3. You'll earn far more money in your working lifetime than you would if you just had a high school diploma. See here:
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/moneymatters/a/edandearnings.htm

4. Whether we like it or not, this society, like all others, is elitist. People with college or advanced degrees have more status than people who don't. A college degree opens doors for you--socially, economically, professionally--that would be closed to a HS grad.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #594965
02/20/11 02:24 PM
02/20/11 02:24 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well, most directly, it's as important as potential employers want it to be. We older Board members remember when a high school education could qualify you for many jobs. The number of such jobs has declined. Even many police departments want their recruits to have at least an Associates Degree or 40+ hours of college. As TB pints out, a college education can expose you to so much more than you'd obtain without it.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Turnbull] #594970
02/20/11 02:29 PM
02/20/11 02:29 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Today, more than ever, you are in a lot of trouble without a college degree. Blue collar union type jobs are fast becoming a thing of the past. Computers and the Internet are eliminating the need for jobs in everything from publishing (look at the recent Borders bankruptcy) to even the most mundane job like a tool booth collector (thank you EZ Pass).

My oldest daughter graduated the University of Miami this past December, and starts grad school at FIU in the fall. My younger daughter is in her freshman year at Penn State, and my son just started Stepinac High School. This is costing my wife and I a small fortune, but it's money well spent. I just thank God that all three of them enjoy the academic life smile.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Turnbull] #594971
02/20/11 02:30 PM
02/20/11 02:30 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
College these days IS essential. Gone are our parents days of quitting high school and getting a fairly decent job. And, gone is the thinking that a H.S. diploma is enough. ohwell

Of course not everyone is college material but one needs a trade school, or to train in a particular field. I can't imagine anyone who only has a high school diploma being able to move ahead in today's world. With technology moving so quickly everyone will need to be computer savvy. And, that's just a start.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #594987
02/20/11 05:36 PM
02/20/11 05:36 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I totally agree with EVERYTHING that has been said here so far. A college degree is definitely a must these days. As a matter of fact most employers these days are looking for more than just a basic college degree. Many are now asking for the prospective employee to have Bachelors degrees.

So it really goes to show you how important a college education is in order to have a chance at making it in this world.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #594989
02/20/11 05:54 PM
02/20/11 05:54 PM
California

California
When I graduated from High School I just didn't want to go to anymore school. A four year college seemed so forever. rolleyes It was my dear father who kept telling me, to get a little more than HS (he never finished HS). He thought it would be good to have some "extra" schooling. At the time, I didn't want to do it but I did as my father said. We compromised and I went to business college, although only for one year. To this day, I think of our going back & forth and my "know it all" attitude, and realize of course my dad was right. smile Education never hurts. Today, it is a MUST!

It'd be interesting to get input from any of our BB friends who are attending college. Anyone care to post what they are studying and/or their goals, college life, etc.?

smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #594996
02/20/11 06:28 PM
02/20/11 06:28 PM
Chicago Underworld
Frank_Nitti Offline
"The Enforcer"
Frank_Nitti  Offline
"The Enforcer"
Underboss
Chicago Underworld
It's important obviously but college degrees don't mean what they used to either, as Graduate school is becoming the new college. High school is only sufficient for those who have mechanical or technical skills not in need of furthur development in the University setting. It's not really necessary to expand one's education(economically speaking) in a college setting if one can already program a computer or fix a car. But I think the face of the modern day University is changing drastically in such technologically progressive times. Engineering and Sciences are the key for students seeking steady employment after college is over with, while the Arts and Humanities have never paid well and even less so today.

In fact, some colleges are trying to make studies in the Liberal and Performing Arts more relevant to modern life. After all, what's the point of sifting through 1,000 year old diatribes if they don't relate to today's modern problems? How superfluous is it for students to study the lineage and history of authors, philosophers, or poets who lived centuries ago? Not that I think a university should be 100% professionally oriented, but schools' inability to teach real life in drastically changing times is the cause of so many dropouts and God forbid student suicides (which occur every day in this country). Departments such as philosophy and literature are becoming little more than relics of the past.

And with the economy tightening and tales of graduates stuck in low-paying jobs with $50,000 in student loans, college doesn’t look like an automatic bargain. Over the past 30 years, the average cost of college tuition and fees has risen 250% for private schools and nearly 300% for public schools (in constant dollars). The salaries of professors have also risen much faster than those of other occupations. At Stanford, to take but one example, the salaries of full professors have leapt 58% in constant dollars since the mid-1980s. College presidents do even better. From 1992 to 2008, NYU’s presidential salary climbed to $1.27 million from $443,000. By 2008, a dozen presidents had passed the million-dollar mark.

Last edited by Frank_Nitti; 02/20/11 06:37 PM.
Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #594998
02/20/11 07:17 PM
02/20/11 07:17 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
DC, since I'm almost always surfing on CareerBuilder or Monster, I'm shocked to see that even some ads for Administrative Assistants ask for a Bachelor's Degree. I know police officers are even required to have at least an associates in Criminal Justice. I'm really surprised at how things have changed since I first entered the work force back in the 1980s.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #595011
02/20/11 09:53 PM
02/20/11 09:53 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
When I graduated from High School I just didn't want to go to anymore school. A four year college seemed so forever. rolleyes It was my dear father who kept telling me, to get a little more than HS (he never finished HS). He thought it would be good to have some "extra" schooling. At the time, I didn't want to do it but I did as my father said. TIS

My father was a NYC fireman. He started college and then dropped out. He was making $1,300/yr when I was born. He had to work multiple part-time jobs to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table. The most unforgettable lesson he taught me was to finish college "if you don't want to end up like me." I had to work to help the family so I went to undergrad and grad school at night. Took me 12 years to earn my Master's, but it was well worth it. I'll always be grateful for my father's advice.

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Frank_Nitti] #595056
02/21/11 03:03 PM
02/21/11 03:03 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Frank_Nitti
... Engineering and Sciences are the key for students seeking steady employment after college is over with, while the Arts and Humanities have never paid well and even less so today. ... with the economy tightening and tales of graduates stuck in low-paying jobs with $50,000 in student loans, college doesn’t look like an automatic bargain. Over the past 30 years, the average cost of college tuition and fees has risen 250% for private schools and nearly 300% for public schools (in constant dollars). The salaries of professors have also risen much faster than those of other occupations. At Stanford, to take but one example, the salaries of full professors have leapt 58% in constant dollars since the mid-1980s. College presidents do even better. From 1992 to 2008, NYU’s presidential salary climbed to $1.27 million from $443,000. By 2008, a dozen presidents had passed the million-dollar mark.

I decided to wait before weighing in on this, because I personally did not get a college education, did not want one at the time and was not persuaded into one by my parents...probably in part because they could not have afforded to send me.

After 30+ years of working and supporting myself and then myself & my daughter, I can say that I do ok, but would probably be doing better if I had college. But...what Frank Nitti says above is correct.

My 23 year old niece graduated college in 2009. After 4 years majoring in psychology, 2 years of applications and interviews, she is currently earning $13/hour and has a 2nd part-time job at a local mall. That is because she cannot get the kind of work she studied for without a graduate degree, which she currently cannot afford because she's paying off student loans. I have told her repeatedly to try employment agencies where she might end up with something that would pay at least a few dollars more an hour, but she doesn't seem to want to be stuck in an office job...says that is NOT what she spent 4yrs in college for and would rather work in a school/hospital which would more suit her education so far. Fair enough...but she is living at home, and seemingly caught in an endless circle which I hope she will somehow find her way out of.

While I still agree with all that a college education is certainly important...I can't help but wonder how many recent college graduates are in the same or similar situation.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: AppleOnYa] #595058
02/21/11 03:09 PM
02/21/11 03:09 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
As others have posted: the hurdles are higher now for college grads. Often an undergraduate degree alone is insufficient--employers can demand advanced degrees from applicants, whether or not an advanced degree is actually a requirement for a job.

When I was going to college, the classified job ads always had columns that started: "College grad wanted..." Companies like AT&T, Metropolitan Life, etc., would take any college grad with any kind of degree as a management trainee. Not today...

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #595189
02/22/11 09:08 PM
02/22/11 09:08 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

It'd be interesting to get input from any of our BB friends who are attending college. Anyone care to post what they are studying and/or their goals, college life, etc.?

smile
TIS

I'll graduate this May w/ a BA in film studies (some sort of honors attached, dont know exactly what the designation will be yet) and a BFA in film production from the University of Colorado. I never wanted to go here, the film school is a COMPLETE joke, and I was accepted into NYU but wasnt allowed by my parents to go (too young to legally decide for myself, yeah, I lied about my age when I was posting here years ago. Sorry.)

That may 'soil' my opinions here, but I always tell people, half jokingly, that I am putting myself into debt for 4.5 years of being miserable and for 2 worthless degrees. But 2 bachelors degrees from a joke of a film program, are, essentially, worthless in the workplace. What I'd ultimately like to do is write screenplays, a track which CU DOESNT EVEN OFFER. We have one class on screenwriting, which makes my application to MFA writing programs look highly suspect.

TB is right, I was exposed to all sorts of different things, BUT it was of my own accord, certainly not because of the school that I was exposed to these things. On that end of things, all I learned here was a confirmation of who I did NOT want to be; a daddy's money, So-Cal (no offense TIS) prick w/ no concept of reality, who can wreck his 2 year old BMW and Daddy will buy him an Audi. A leik, oh em gee, totally! sort of vapid idiot.

I have had some great experiences, but it has been in spite of being enrolled here. Those times have been when I was NOT anywhere near Boulder or the CU campus, like following the Bob Dylan tour for 4 years, to Kalamazoo MI or Lewiston, ME, and all the roads in between, and miles on my car. Then getting back after a week of driving around the country, back here to little LA, full of people who are clueless to anything besides drinking a case of Keystone Light and listening to pop "music" at the frat house, God, it was depressing.

Ehem, sorry for the rant. So yes, while I would say it is important, I dont necessarily feel I'm ahead, workplace wise.

Last edited by Don Sonny Corleone; 02/22/11 09:11 PM.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #595190
02/22/11 09:18 PM
02/22/11 09:18 PM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
College is overrated. We really could use more people at McDonald's let me tell ya..the other day I had difficulty finding an employee in there.

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008
Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: VinnyGorgeous] #595262
02/23/11 12:38 PM
02/23/11 12:38 PM
California

California
Originally Posted By: VinnyGorgeous
College is overrated. We really could use more people at McDonald's let me tell ya..the other day I had difficulty finding an employee in there.

Hopefully college students will aspire to a bit more for a career. lol

TIS

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #595273
02/23/11 01:49 PM
02/23/11 01:49 PM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
I decided to try law school, but I could never in good conscience encourage our innocent youth to go down such a corrupt and destructive path.

As long as the situation at McDonald's is as it is then I will continue to urge them to forget about college and give McDonald's a shot.

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008
Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #595289
02/23/11 03:30 PM
02/23/11 03:30 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I'm with you, Vinny. Why rack up tens of thousands in student loans when the food service industry is so attractive?? I mean, it's not like the pay sucks or the hours suck, or you have to deal with an ungrateful public that's waiting to sue you because you served them hot coffee hot. Education, schmeducation.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #595291
02/23/11 03:36 PM
02/23/11 03:36 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Do I get fries with that sarcasm?

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: SC] #595300
02/23/11 04:39 PM
02/23/11 04:39 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: SC
Do I get fries with that sarcasm?

Only if you get the value meal! lol

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #595359
02/23/11 09:09 PM
02/23/11 09:09 PM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I'm with you, Vinny. Why rack up tens of thousands in student loans when the food service industry is so attractive?? I mean, it's not like the pay sucks or the hours suck, or you have to deal with an ungrateful public that's waiting to sue you because you served them hot coffee hot. Education, schmeducation.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm glad I have people like you in my corner SB. People who aren't afraid to stand up for what's right!!!

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #595525
02/25/11 11:55 AM
02/25/11 11:55 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Education should be an end in itself.

I know a lot of people with degrees who don't know shit about anything other than what their degree is in. Which points us to two things: 1) there needs to be an integration of study and real life; 2) there needs to be an eradication of academic snobbery, ie., the elevation of the academic above the 'ordinary worker'.

Neither of those things are possible without wholesale changes to the society that accomodates such educational dysfunction in the first place.

The education system under capitalism is of course not removed from gross inequalities. That's obvious when you look at how some subjects are elevated above others, for the arbitrary reason of 'relevance to labour market'. But in the first place, you have to ask who has access to an education and how, and what that education actually constitutes.

There are various academic circles that are politically and morally repugnant, but have the official endorsement from the state.

The way capitalism is going, in an X number of years, there won't be any experts in any fields of interest or study, there'll just be a lot of people who know a little bit about everything, who know how to seem to know enough to get by on a conversational level.

"In the battle of ideas, weak ideas must be attacked." - Guy Debord

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #595527
02/25/11 12:16 PM
02/25/11 12:16 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
BTW, I graduated with a First in 'Film and English Studies' in 2009. In September I'm returning for a Masters in 'International Film'.

I'll be completing that with the view of doing a PhD, during and after which I'll be in a position to both teach other students and continue further study by way of writing, which incorporates getting published on areas you specialise in - which 'research' inherently demands and accomodates. I hope to continue more creative endeavours alongside the stuff that makes my living; I hope to live through the kind of revolution that would abolish the kinds of tensions, snobberies and inequalities I'm discussing here and to which I'm opposed.

It's interesting that for my application for my Masters funding - there are two scholarships available for my chosen course, and I'm up against not just Film Studies students, but Literature, Linguistics and Media students (and that's generous; some universities haven't been granted any scholarships, because they're not as officially highly ranked) - it becomes immediately obvious how broader, systemic deficiencies encourage the kind of careerism that's rampant throughout education and society as a whole; how as early as 14, children are having to think about what they want to do in terms of 'career', alongside education and whatever else 14-year-olds have to deal with. And I hear some people with the audacity to judge the same kids who, bewildered and pressured and without the support network of an educational system that is actually failing them daily, end up serving them burgers at MacDonald's (where else?), hating their bosses, being underpaid and overworked and generally falling into the same old same old broken nuclear family of capitalism...

Anyway, you find yourself writing research proposals with half an eye on what is more likely to get you funding; it becomes immediately more obvious how political agendas, governed by where the money is going to, determine how certain academic schools replicate a certain way of thinking. Capitalism begets careerism, often in spite of the person who becomes the careerist. How many people actually plan at an early age to teach Lacanian theory to 18-year-old fresher students? Not many if any is the answer to that. Most if not all will 'find themselves teaching in academia'. Staying inside academia, the academic risks removing themselves from social reality; not only that, but they'll do so because it is removed from an everyday grind. That's how horrific the economic state of society is, and that's why all kinds of horrible, fucked up snobberies are both established and developing as a result.

Death to capitalism and any of its apologists, I suppose.

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #595528
02/25/11 12:19 PM
02/25/11 12:19 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #595600
02/26/11 11:49 AM
02/26/11 11:49 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I never went, left school at 17 to start work. Worked ever since but never been remotely successful or made mega money. Lucky enough to have been in the same job for a few years now, got a good pension scheme going and my mortgage will soon be paid....but life is nothing but hard most of the time.

Hopefully my kids will all go on to college but that is going to cost them an arm and a leg as well. My eldest boy wants to be a builder, i have no problems with him learning a trade!!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #595652
02/26/11 09:01 PM
02/26/11 09:01 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
When I was a manager with a very large science/technology company about 35 years ago, we occasionally brought on board a "college hire"--a graduate of a university science writing program whom we put to work in an entry-level position writing low-key news releases about our employees' promotions, retirements and service anniversaries. One of our college hires from the U. of Wisconsin science writing program worked out quite well. So, we asked him if he could find us another good candidate.

The guy he found for us was about 30 at the time, and had spent his entire adult life to that point at the University. He'd earned a Ph.D in Theoretical Physics, then decided he really didn't want to be a theoretical physicist after all. So he went back for another year and earned a Master's in Science Writing. And he applied with us, asking for $14k/year. We told him that we'd happily hire him, but the position didn't pay $14k--it called for $17k. He said he'd have to think about it.

A couple of weeks later, he called us to say that he'd decided to take a job as a staff writer for the University's science magazine--at $9k/yr.

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #595655
02/26/11 09:26 PM
02/26/11 09:26 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Hey Capo,

Where or how does a PhD in Film (?) fit into the Marxist world?
Does Marxism have a place for "art" or individual creativity?

These are honest questions, no sarcasm or other ism/asm.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #595744
02/27/11 04:10 PM
02/27/11 04:10 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
What do you mean by 'the Marxist world'?

What do you mean by asking 'does Marxism have a place for' art?

I can only answer vague questions vaguely.

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #595745
02/27/11 04:11 PM
02/27/11 04:11 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I don't know if this answers your questions:

http://tinyurl.com/yzplexd

Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #595863
02/28/11 01:45 AM
02/28/11 01:45 AM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline
Patrick  Offline

West Chester, PA
Great topic, DC. I agree with all of you on here that it is essential in today's world. A 4 year college degree today is almost a must. It is also amazing to learn and find out so much about yourself and others during the college experience. It helps you mature and understand how the world and businesses work.

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: How Important Is a College Education? [Re: Don Cardi] #595864
02/28/11 01:53 AM
02/28/11 01:53 AM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline
Patrick  Offline

West Chester, PA
Also, I guess I can add a little more to this. I started work part-time at a law firm during my senior year. I graduated last May and started working full-time, but with no benefits. It was $10 an hour. I had been applying to jobs since I graduated. I would only receive calls from insurance companies (that I didn't even apply to) that wanted me to sit at a phone and try to sell insurance all day. That's just not for me, so I stayed with my current job.

A couple of weeks ago, I finally got a call about an administrative assistant position. It has a lot of great benefits and my salary is an average entry level salary (30 k). However, I can earn quarterly bonuses that would make it 35-37k my first year. This week is my last week at the law office and I will be starting my new job next week. I am nervous about the new job and sad to leave all my great co-workers, but I assume this will be the next step in my career.

I guess my point is that I just believe a college degree is essential. This job I recently got hired for is most likely a position that definitely require a college degree back in the 60s or 70s. But hey, it's a changin world.

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull