GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Mafia101, mustachepete, 1 invisible), 328 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,519
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,971
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,078
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cured Additc or Purist? #594298
02/14/11 10:33 AM
02/14/11 10:33 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

The Godfather and GF II was run repeatedly on AMC this weekend, and during both I found myself bored and switching channels. I think it is because of the edits for television and the bothersome comercials, but still I found myself aiting for key scenes and being somewhat bored by the rest.

Given that I have seen these movies hundreds of times, I am not sure that my displeasure with AMC this weekend makes me a purist who will not tlerate the television versions of these films, or if it means I am finally getting over an addiction!

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Cured Additc or Purist? [Re: dontomasso] #594308
02/14/11 11:01 AM
02/14/11 11:01 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
DT,

I know it's been on all weekend on AMC. I don't usually watch it when it's on tv, but I did however, yesterday tune in to bits and pieces of it. I caught part of the Sicily Scenes with young Vito and watched a because I love the Sicily scenes and the beautiful music. smile But yea, I have it on DVD and usually don't watch it every time it's on tv. I do think they overdo it. I mean I can't watch ANY one movie for an entire weekend, let alone one that I've seen 100 times. lol

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Cured Additc or Purist? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #594309
02/14/11 11:02 AM
02/14/11 11:02 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I mean I can't watch ANY one movie for an entire weekend, let alone one that I've seen 100 times. lol

TIS

Yeah, I hate to admit it, but it becomes overkill after awhile.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Cured Additc or Purist? [Re: pizzaboy] #594312
02/14/11 11:09 AM
02/14/11 11:09 AM
California

California
PB,

Plus, I think it ruins any great movie's greatness to constantly show it on tv. frown This movie is a masterpiece IMHO and think should be shown only on occasion as a "special showing" perhaps. It's old hat now to be flipping thru the channels....."oh, GF is on AGAIN!"

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Cured Additc or Purist? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #594314
02/14/11 11:12 AM
02/14/11 11:12 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Yeah, remember when big movies were treated as an "event" when they were shown on broadcast television?

The younger members wouldn't even remember waiting all year to see "Gone with the Wind" or "The Wizard of Oz." Not to mention "The Godfather Saga," which wasn't shown nearly as much as the former two films.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Cured Additc or Purist? [Re: dontomasso] #594316
02/14/11 11:13 AM
02/14/11 11:13 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
The Godfather and GF II was run repeatedly on AMC this weekend .....

It's also fun to watch how many new members sign up here after one of these "marathons".

Re: Cured Additc or Purist? [Re: dontomasso] #594319
02/14/11 11:16 AM
02/14/11 11:16 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
As for the watching of the movie...same here. I did have it on for lengths of time and tried have it on for sone of my favorite scenes (managed to catch the Michael/Fredo lakehouse scene twice)...but not quite as riveted as in the past and I did change the channel not only during commercials but at certain parts of the film as well.

Not sure I would say I am over an addiction, but there's definitely a familiarity factor that means you dont' have to watch it EVERY time it's on.

Also...I like it better when they alternate GF with GFII. Not one one day and then the other the next as was the case this weekend.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Cured Additc or Purist? [Re: AppleOnYa] #594320
02/14/11 11:20 AM
02/14/11 11:20 AM
California

California
Even when I DO watch the tv showings, I admit, I'll usually pass on GFIII. ohwell

The brief parts I saw yesterday reminded me of how good looking both Pacino & DeNiro were. wink

The young Vito "Pear" scene is priceless. smile

TIS

Re: Cured Additc or Purist? [Re: pizzaboy] #594321
02/14/11 11:30 AM
02/14/11 11:30 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Yeah, remember when big movies were treated as an "event" when they were shown on broadcast television?

The younger members wouldn't even remember waiting all year to see "Gone with the Wind" or "The Wizard of Oz." Not to mention "The Godfather Saga," which wasn't shown nearly as much as the former two films.

I definitely remember anxiously waiting to see the broadcast premier of the GF. I believe NBC bought the rights for a one-time showing on Saturday (or maybe Sunday) Night at the Movies a couple of years after its release I believe. Remember how that proliferated into an ... at the Movies almost every night?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Cured Additc or Purist? [Re: olivant] #594363
02/14/11 02:34 PM
02/14/11 02:34 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I bought my first VCR in '83 because NBC was going to air "The Godfather Saga" (I and II in chronological order, with all deleted scenes restored) for the first time. I watched it hundreds of times. After that, I've restricted myself to viewing selected favorite scenes, but I still watch the entire movies now and then.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Cured Additc or Purist? [Re: dontomasso] #594376
02/14/11 03:49 PM
02/14/11 03:49 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I never tire of watching any of them. Last night I picked up on something that I had not noticed before in II. All of them are so complex, it takes a lifetime of watching them to try and figure them out.

Re: Cured Additc or Purist? [Re: olivant] #594422
02/14/11 09:33 PM
02/14/11 09:33 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: olivant
Last night I picked up on something that I had not noticed before in II. All of them are so complex, it takes a lifetime of watching them to try and figure them out.

Happens to me every time I watch.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Cured Additc or Purist? [Re: olivant] #598533
03/25/11 02:35 PM
03/25/11 02:35 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

I never tire of watching any of them. Last night I picked up on something that I had not noticed before in II. All of them are so complex, it takes a lifetime of watching them to try and figure them out.

What was it?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Cured Additc or Purist? [Re: dontomasso] #598535
03/25/11 02:54 PM
03/25/11 02:54 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York

What was it?

Superman couldn't fly. shhh

Re: Cured Additc or Purist? [Re: SC] #598538
03/25/11 03:45 PM
03/25/11 03:45 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: SC

What was it?

Superman couldn't fly. shhh

Oh, such wit!

But to answer your question DT, it was when Michael returned to the compound in the snow. He enters his house and passes by a place where there is a small table of sorts up against a wall and above it there are some pictures. He stops and looks at them and then moves a few feet and I think looks back at them. It seems ablibbed, but it may have been planned. I forget who was in the pictures.

Re: Cured Additc or Purist? [Re: olivant] #598541
03/25/11 04:17 PM
03/25/11 04:17 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Good one Oli. And Superman may have made Fredo fly if Weingartersnake is right.

Re: Cured Additc or Purist? [Re: dontomasso] #598547
03/25/11 05:04 PM
03/25/11 05:04 PM
pgh., pa
Guiseppe Petri Offline
. 45 caliber
Guiseppe Petri  Offline
. 45 caliber
Made Member
pgh., pa
olivant, i watched the scene your'e talking about, whatever he is looking at is out of view in the scene. there's a painting on the wall, but mike's looking way above that. when he take's a few steps past that, there's a staircase, it appears from the shadow that it's has the wall cut out to be an open staircase. mike could be looking at it to see if anyone is standing or getting ready to walk down it. its hard to tell since the scene is in very low lighting, even though its daylight outside.

i have the chronological saga on d.v.d. and usually watch it. it's still edited for t.v., but still enjoy it.

Last edited by Guiseppe Petri; 03/25/11 05:16 PM.

Guiseppe Petri
Re: Cured Additc or Purist? [Re: Turnbull] #598557
03/25/11 08:58 PM
03/25/11 08:58 PM
NickGeraci Offline
Made Member
NickGeraci  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
I bought my first VCR in '83 because NBC was going to air "The Godfather Saga" (I and II in chronological order, with all deleted scenes restored) for the first time. I watched it hundreds of times. After that, I've restricted myself to viewing selected favorite scenes, but I still watch the entire movies now and then.

you should put that on youtube for us Turnbull wink

"I Miss People, I Just Don't Remember Who They Are"

S.D.'99
Re: Cured Additc or Purist? [Re: Guiseppe Petri] #598558
03/25/11 09:01 PM
03/25/11 09:01 PM
NickGeraci Offline
Made Member
NickGeraci  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Guiseppe Petri
olivant, i watched the scene your'e talking about, whatever he is looking at is out of view in the scene. there's a painting on the wall, but mike's looking way above that. when he take's a few steps past that, there's a staircase, it appears from the shadow that it's has the wall cut out to be an open staircase. mike could be looking at it to see if anyone is standing or getting ready to walk down it. its hard to tell since the scene is in very low lighting, even though its daylight outside.

i have the chronological saga on d.v.d. and usually watch it. it's still edited for t.v., but still enjoy it.

or you GP smile

S.D.'99
Re: Cured Additc or Purist? [Re: dontomasso] #598564
03/25/11 09:31 PM
03/25/11 09:31 PM
NickGeraci Offline
Made Member
NickGeraci  Offline
Made Member
I find myself somewhat excited when GF comes on TV, even better when its the "Saga" version recently aired on AMC, though several networks 'air' it at times. I'm not a fan of television versions of any movie, ever, however the fan i am is always hoping, almost begging to see those scenes ,deleted, extra, etc..... I think Apple's comment hit it right on the nose. Pizzaboy, I fortunately am one of the "lucky" ones to wait All Year for Wizard Of Oz, and do remember what an "event" it was, Unfortunately I was only 3 when the NBC premiere of "The Godfather Saga" (I and II in chronological order, with all deleted scenes restored), as Turnbull commented, so I missed a Real Event (lucky you TB), as with Oli's post, Movies used to be a Really Big Deal, unlike now....

S.D.'99

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull