GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (CNote), 58 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,166
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,388
Posts1,059,832
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Acting and street boss difference #594011
02/12/11 11:18 AM
02/12/11 11:18 AM
Naples,Italy
F
Frank Offline OP
Button
Frank  Offline OP
F
Button
Naples,Italy
I'm sorry if i don't know a commun thing like this but i can't understand the difference about street boss and acting boss.
another thing......what is the ruling panel?

Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: Frank] #594012
02/12/11 12:05 PM
02/12/11 12:05 PM
T
tt120 Offline
Capo
tt120  Offline
T
Capo
I think a Street Boss is used to insulate the official or standing boss. The Street Boss deals with the day-to-day operations and is in direct contact with capos and their crews, while the official or standing boss is only in contact with the Street Boss (and possibly other administration members)

An Acting Boss is used while the official boss is locked up, under indictment, on the run, or whatever other situation is going on where the official Boss' attention is elsewhere

A Ruling Panel, usually 3 top capos or sometimes more, can be used in place of an acting boss while the official boss is locked up. I think each NY family, besides the Bonannos if I'm not mistaken, has used a ruling panel at one point in time... and a couple of the NY families are currently using a ruling panel. People say it's "safer" or whatever, and it takes heat off of one big, powerful person, but in my opinion all it does is take the target off of one person's back and puts it on 3 or more instead....

Basically all of these things are used either when the official boss is in jail, to insulate the official boss, or both

Last edited by tt120; 02/12/11 12:08 PM.
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: Frank] #594105
02/13/11 09:03 AM
02/13/11 09:03 AM
Naples,Italy
F
Frank Offline OP
Button
Frank  Offline OP
F
Button
Naples,Italy
thanks

Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: Frank] #594133
02/13/11 01:33 PM
02/13/11 01:33 PM
J
jvanley Offline
Made Member
jvanley  Offline
J
Made Member
A street boss would have to be the worst position possible in ANY career! Think about how your "promotion" would go:

Boss: Hey ah, The feds are bringing down alot of heat on me and I need to protect myself, add another layer between me. So the good news is I have decided to make you street boss. You will get much fatter envelopes and have all the power you want. The bad news is your going to go to the can for life one day.

Street Boss: No problem, when they arrest me I will just flip and give you up for my freedom

Seriously, the street boss has one of ONLY 3 outcomes:

1. The can
2. Witness Protection
3. Whacked

Thats it, there are no other outcomes for that position!

Last edited by jvanley; 02/13/11 01:36 PM.

FatGirl:Your cute
Me:Ok
FatGirl:So you wanna buy me a drink?
Me:No
FatGirl:Why not?
Me:Well Its tricky pumpkin,If I buy u a drink, every fat girl in here would think I liked fat girls & ask me to buy them a drink also. See ,I dont like fat girls unless im wasted and given Im only one drink deep so far, so you better buy me the drink honey, cause this 20 bucks aint covering the booze and drive thru ill need to take you home tonight

08/13/2009-jvanley Spanky Bar, 3rd stool from the left
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: jvanley] #594273
02/14/11 02:35 AM
02/14/11 02:35 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: jvanley
A street boss would have to be the worst position possible in ANY career! Think about how your "promotion" would go:

Boss: Hey ah, The feds are bringing down alot of heat on me and I need to protect myself, add another layer between me. So the good news is I have decided to make you street boss. You will get much fatter envelopes and have all the power you want. The bad news is your going to go to the can for life one day.

Street Boss: No problem, when they arrest me I will just flip and give you up for my freedom

1. The can
2. Witness Protection
3. Whacked

What you're basically describing has also been called a "front boss," which I've never really bought into. It implies an unwitting dope who is content to be the bait for the feds while the real guy stays safe behind the scenes. Guys like Fat Tony Salerno and Barney Bellomo were acting boss or street boss (two names for the same thing more or less) for the Chin but not a front boss.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: IvyLeague] #594315
02/14/11 11:13 AM
02/14/11 11:13 AM
J
jvanley Offline
Made Member
jvanley  Offline
J
Made Member
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

1. The can
2. Witness Protection
3. Whacked

What you're basically describing has also been called a "front boss," which I've never really bought into. It implies an unwitting dope who is content to be the bait for the feds while the real guy stays safe behind the scenes. Guys like Fat Tony Salerno and Barney Bellomo were acting boss or street boss (two names for the same thing more or less) for the Chin but not a front boss.

No, I am describing a street boss. A street boss is used to run the day to day operations on the street, and extra layer of protection between the Capo's and the boss. If you look at history, every street boss has ended up dead, in the can or in the program

FatGirl:Your cute
Me:Ok
FatGirl:So you wanna buy me a drink?
Me:No
FatGirl:Why not?
Me:Well Its tricky pumpkin,If I buy u a drink, every fat girl in here would think I liked fat girls & ask me to buy them a drink also. See ,I dont like fat girls unless im wasted and given Im only one drink deep so far, so you better buy me the drink honey, cause this 20 bucks aint covering the booze and drive thru ill need to take you home tonight

08/13/2009-jvanley Spanky Bar, 3rd stool from the left
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: IvyLeague] #594322
02/14/11 11:33 AM
02/14/11 11:33 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
What you're basically describing has also been called a "front boss," which I've never really bought into.

What about Uncle Junior? tongue lol

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: pizzaboy] #594339
02/14/11 12:29 PM
02/14/11 12:29 PM
T
tt120 Offline
Capo
tt120  Offline
T
Capo
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
What you're basically describing has also been called a "front boss," which I've never really bought into.

haha. i used to love his quips. "what are you asking him for...I'm still the boss of this family"

"my nephew running things? not in this lifetime"

"I had a banana'r in there!"

Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: tt120] #594398
02/14/11 05:41 PM
02/14/11 05:41 PM
pittsburgh pa
P
phatmatress Offline
Underboss
phatmatress  Offline
P
Underboss
pittsburgh pa
Originally Posted By: tt120
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

haha. i used to love his quips. "what are you asking him for...I'm still the boss of this family"

"my nephew running things? not in this lifetime"

"I had a banana'r in there!"

you might run north jersey but you DO NOT run your uncle junior lol

I hate Dicknoses!!!!!!
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: IvyLeague] #707122
03/30/13 04:05 AM
03/30/13 04:05 AM
Gotti Offline
Button
Gotti  Offline
Button

1. The can
2. Witness Protection
3. Whacked

How would you explain or describe these positions Ivy?

Makes you think. Makes you think about the people in your life. And when I think, I think of Neil. If he were here now what would he say? He would say "John what's it about? What's life about... if you dont go through it as a man's man?". He'd say "Suck it up, take the fall do the time. That made you what you are. That makes you what you are. How long have we been around this thing of ours? This Cosa Nostra? 120 years. What's it about? It's about the rules, perimeters. You take the beating for a friend, you don't run, you don't lay down, you don't betray who you are. What you are.
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: Gotti] #707125
03/30/13 04:18 AM
03/30/13 04:18 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Gotti

Like I said above, "acting boss" and "street boss" are two names for the same position. The feds have indicated as much in indictments when they use the terms interchangeably.

It's simply a guy who becomes the day-to-day head of the family, running the family directly on the street, because A) the official boss is in prison, incapacitated, or wants to stay in the background; or B) because there is no official boss at the time but the family hasn't yet installed a new one for whatever reason.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: IvyLeague] #707127
03/30/13 04:38 AM
03/30/13 04:38 AM
Gotti Offline
Button
Gotti  Offline
Button

Like I said above, "acting boss" and "street boss" are two names for the same position. The feds have indicated as much in indictments when they use the terms interchangeably.

It's simply a guy who becomes the day-to-day head of the family, running the family directly on the street, because A) the official boss is in prison, incapacitated, or wants to stay in the background; or B) because there is no official boss at the time but the family hasn't yet installed a new one for whatever reason.

Thanks for the reply. I've read somewhere that the Genovese crime family have used the position acting boss and street boss as two different positions at the same time and if that's the case how would that of worked if it's the same thing?

Makes you think. Makes you think about the people in your life. And when I think, I think of Neil. If he were here now what would he say? He would say "John what's it about? What's life about... if you dont go through it as a man's man?". He'd say "Suck it up, take the fall do the time. That made you what you are. That makes you what you are. How long have we been around this thing of ours? This Cosa Nostra? 120 years. What's it about? It's about the rules, perimeters. You take the beating for a friend, you don't run, you don't lay down, you don't betray who you are. What you are.
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: Gotti] #707135
03/30/13 06:30 AM
03/30/13 06:30 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)

Thanks for the reply. I've read somewhere that the Genovese crime family have used the position acting boss and street boss as two different positions at the same time and if that's the case how would that of worked if it's the same thing?

Don´t believe everything you read. Especially if it´s on Mafia wiki. That wiki page for the Genovese Family for example, is confusing and horrible.
Ivy is right. An acting boss, or street boss if you wish (two different terms for the same thing), is somebody within the Family who temporarily and with the boss´s consent and approval of course, steps up to lead the Family. Mostly because the official boss is under indictment/in jail/ill. An acting boss can also be appointed when the official boss suddenly passes away and there has not yet been a replacement. The same with the other higher up positions; underboss, consigliere and captain.

[Linked Image]
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: HairyKnuckles] #707136
03/30/13 06:39 AM
03/30/13 06:39 AM
Gotti Offline
Button
Gotti  Offline
Button
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Don´t believe everything you read. Especially if it´s on Mafia wiki. That wiki page for the Genovese Family for example, is confusing and horrible.
Ivy is right. An acting boss, or street boss if you wish (two different terms for the same thing), is somebody within the Family who temporarily and with the boss´s consent and approval of course, steps up to lead the Family. Mostly because the official boss is under indictment/in jail/ill. An acting boss can also be appointed when the official boss suddenly passes away and there has not yet been a replacement. The same with the other higher up positions; underboss, consigliere and captain.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. So is front boss a position that doesn't exist and if not then what would you say Fat Tony was to the Chin? (in your opinion).

Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: Gotti] #707137
03/30/13 07:02 AM
03/30/13 07:02 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
I remember seeing on some Detriot mob documentary,they showed that in 1931 the mob had a position called "street boss" and it was held by Joe Bommarito,consiglieri was Angelo Meli and underboss was Joe Uno Zerilli at the time and the boss was Black Bill Tocco ...

Last edited by Toodoped; 03/30/13 07:04 AM.

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: Gotti] #707138
03/30/13 07:15 AM
03/30/13 07:15 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
I believe the "Front boss" term was invented by the FBI when they realized they had made a blunder when they indicted Fat Tony Saleno, naming him the boss. Later it was revealed (by turncoats and other evidence) that Salerno had not actually been the boss but said he had been "fronting" for Gigante. This way they avoided losing face and at the same time avoiding jeopardizing future cases. It was a smart move because Salerno did had a special relationship with the Genovese leader. They seem to have worked out an agreement in the early 1980s and assaigned power and influence in different areas and interests, not colliding with eachother. In my opinion, for this arrangement to work, Salerno most likely (in terms of Family´s hierarchy) held the underboss spot to Gigante. He was present at induction ceremonies and he attended Commission and other meetings while Gigante prefered to stay in the background. This is actually a perfect set up/arrangement between a smart boss and a loyal underboss. In my opinion, the term "Front boss" should be scrapped once and for all. salerno certainly was not a "front boss" for Gigante.

[Linked Image]
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: HairyKnuckles] #707140
03/30/13 07:21 AM
03/30/13 07:21 AM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
I believe the "Front boss" term was invented by the FBI when they realized they had made a blunder when they indicted Fat Tony Saleno, naming him the boss. Later it was revealed (by turncoats and other evidence) that Salerno had not actually been the boss but said he had been "fronting" for Gigante. This way they avoided losing face and at the same time avoiding jeopardizing future cases. It was a smart move because Salerno did had a special relationship with the Genovese leader. They seem to have worked out an agreement in the early 1980s and assaigned power and influence in different areas and interests, not colliding with eachother. In my opinion, for this arrangement to work, Salerno most likely (in terms of Family´s hierarchy) held the underboss spot to Gigante. He was present at induction ceremonies and he attended Commission and other meetings while Gigante prefered to stay in the background. This is actually a perfect set up/arrangement between a smart boss and a loyal underboss. In my opinion, the term "Front boss" should be scrapped once and for all. salerno certainly was not a "front boss" for Gigante.

But what about all those guys that were "fronts" for Lombardo before Gigante? Were they underbosses also?
Another thing I am still confused about: did Lombardo ever officially retire from the position of official boss leaving the business to Gigante or was he a superior to Gigante until he died?

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: Dwalin2011] #707143
03/30/13 07:49 AM
03/30/13 07:49 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011

But what about all those guys that were "fronts" for Lombardo before Gigante? Were they underbosses also?
Another thing I am still confused about: did Lombardo ever officially retire from the position of official boss leaving the business to Gigante or was he a superior to Gigante until he died?

I was hoping to find that out when I made my request for Lombardo´s FBI files. But those files were a great disappointment. However, I came across a FBI report dated 1967 or 1968 (I believe) saying that Tommy Ryan (in case of Vito Genovese´s death) was ready to push for Lombardo as replacement for Genovese. According to the report, Tommy Ryan expressed his wishes to be Lombardo´s underboss. I tend to believe that is what actually happened later in 1969 when Genovese died and Jerry Catena was jailed indefinitely for attempt of court. After the Ryan murder in 1972, Funzi Tieri seems to have filled the spot. So yes, I´d say Ryan, Tieri, Zeccardi (on an acting basis when Tieri was ill) were all underbosses to Lombardo.

[Linked Image]
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: HairyKnuckles] #707146
03/30/13 08:31 AM
03/30/13 08:31 AM
LCN1987 Offline
Mannaggia alla miseria
LCN1987  Offline
Mannaggia alla miseria
Capo

That fraud is gonna correct you Hairy, watch out shhh

As always, well put and probably the truth.

Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: LCN1987] #707147
03/30/13 08:53 AM
03/30/13 08:53 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: LCN1987

Thank you. Keep in mind though that is an opinion/theory of mine since I can´t prove it. But its seems to be the most likely scenario. He can state his opinion but he can´t correct my opinion or theory.

One more thing. Tieri had more power and authority than a normal underboss would have had because Lombardo spent a lot of time down in Florida, away from the "streets" in NY. Tieri was in NY. This may be why some people thought (and still thinks) Tieri was the boss.

[Linked Image]
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: LCN1987] #707168
03/30/13 10:16 AM
03/30/13 10:16 AM
On the toilet
EastHarlemItal Offline
BANNED
EastHarlemItal  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
On the toilet

As always a kiss ass comment trying to recruit a friend.

I will end my Salerno argument this way, you can call him whatever you want. The man made a lot of money and had a lot of power!

"Because I'm the Boss"

Tony Salerno
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: EastHarlemItal] #707183
03/30/13 10:55 AM
03/30/13 10:55 AM
LCN1987 Offline
Mannaggia alla miseria
LCN1987  Offline
Mannaggia alla miseria
Capo
Originally Posted By: EastHarlemItal

I will end my Salerno argument this way, you can call him whatever you want. The man made a lot of money and had a lot of power!

You're a fraud. The whole board knows it!

Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: LCN1987] #707184
03/30/13 10:58 AM
03/30/13 10:58 AM
On the toilet
EastHarlemItal Offline
BANNED
EastHarlemItal  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
On the toilet
Originally Posted By: EastHarlemItal

You're a fraud. The whole board knows it!

And your a suck balls, the whole board knows that also. A fraud? LOL. Because you have zero to add to a discussion you like throwing out bullshit claims. Your a joke.

"Because I'm the Boss"

Tony Salerno
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: Frank] #707186
03/30/13 11:19 AM
03/30/13 11:19 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
I think that the mods should ban any1 that mentions Fat Tony's name...cuz i used to laught at these conversations but now it gets really depressing and boring...maybe even sad... lol cool

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: Frank] #707196
03/30/13 01:22 PM
03/30/13 01:22 PM
LCN1987 Offline
Mannaggia alla miseria
LCN1987  Offline
Mannaggia alla miseria
Capo
Imamobguy never went away. That's all I'm gonna say lol

Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: Dwalin2011] #707267
03/30/13 08:58 PM
03/30/13 08:58 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011

Once Chin took over in 1981, he was the boss. But it appears Lombardo's retirement wasn't somewhat gradual. Fat Tony was later heard on a bug saying something about how, if Chin and Lombardo didn't like the way he was doing the job, they could have it back. This suggests Lombardo was still somewhat involved, though probably semi-retired by that point.

Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: Frank] #707277
03/30/13 09:18 PM
03/30/13 09:18 PM
So-Cal
vinnietoothpicks26 Offline
BANNED
vinnietoothpicks26  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
So-Cal
Sorry for the random quesiton in the middle of the heated debate, but did they every get chin on a wire tap or wire talking normally?

Frank Costello: Fucking rats. It's wearing me thin. Mr. French: Francis, it's a nation of fucking rats.
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: vinnietoothpicks26] #707279
03/30/13 09:20 PM
03/30/13 09:20 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: vinnietoothpicks26
Sorry for the random quesiton in the middle of the heated debate, but did they every get chin on a wire tap or wire talking normally?

Only once as far as I'm aware. It was when he was talking to his wife on the phone. It was benign stuff like him telling her to stop smoking, asking her if she needed anything from the store, and then making kissing noises when they hung up.

Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: Frank] #707282
03/30/13 09:23 PM
03/30/13 09:23 PM
So-Cal
vinnietoothpicks26 Offline
BANNED
vinnietoothpicks26  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
So-Cal
So they never actually caught him? The rico law is a joke. How is this constitutional?

Frank Costello: Fucking rats. It's wearing me thin. Mr. French: Francis, it's a nation of fucking rats.
Re: Acting and street boss difference [Re: vinnietoothpicks26] #707286
03/30/13 09:30 PM
03/30/13 09:30 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: vinnietoothpicks26
So they never actually caught him? The rico law is a joke. How is this constitutional?

No. Chin was very, very careful about that stuff. Which shouldn't surprise anyone considering the lengths he went to in order to avoid law enforcement. There were some other times that the feds observed certain things while watching him, though not much they could use against him.

For instance, NYPD detective Joe Coffey said he was trailing Chin (who was wearing his usual robe) when Chin got into a car. The car went a ways and then stopped, Chin got out wearing a very fancy suit.

Another time Chin was crossing the street, slowly shuffling, and mumbling. But when he saw a car coming fast towards him, he suddenly summoned the power to run to the other side of the street and then started shuffling again.

The FBI also watched him at times in his Manhattan apartment. He'd wear a regular clothes in the evening while meeting with people. One meeting the feds observed involved Chin and another guy counting out a big stack of money on a table.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull