GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 228 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,852
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I did not know this #37022
02/20/06 10:44 AM
02/20/06 10:44 AM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline OP
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline OP
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
According to a Playboy interview with director Francis Ford Coppola, Frank Sinatra, despite his reported distaste for the novel and opposition to the film, had discussions with Coppola about playing the role of Don Vito Corleone himself and at one point actually offered his services. Coppola, however, was adamant in his conviction that Marlon Brando take the role instead. This would be the third time Brando performed in a part sought by Sinatra, after playing Terry Malloy in 'On the Waterfront' (1954) and Sky Masterson in Guys and Dolls (1955) .

I got this from a godfather trivia site. I did a copy and paste on the article of course.
ds

I woke up this morning with nothing to do and went to bed with only half of it done.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/
http://www.stjude.org/
Re: I did not know this #37023
02/20/06 10:48 AM
02/20/06 10:48 AM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
That is really interesting stuff. Sinatra did sorta get a role in GF, ala Johnny Fonataine. wink

I simply can't imagine Sinatra playing Vito Corleone OR Terry Malloy. Those were signature Brando roles.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: I did not know this #37024
02/20/06 10:49 AM
02/20/06 10:49 AM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline OP
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline OP
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
I agree Don Andrew.

DS

I woke up this morning with nothing to do and went to bed with only half of it done.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/
http://www.stjude.org/
Re: I did not know this #37025
02/20/06 11:19 AM
02/20/06 11:19 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
In "The Godfather Papers and Other Confessions," Mario Puzo describes an encounter that he once had with Frank Sinatra.

According to Puzo there was an incident that took place at a restaurant in Los Angeles. Puzo was in the restaurant at the same time as Frank Sinatra was. Sinatra refused to meet Puzo and made a scene in the restaurant, shouting at Puzo, calling him a pimp. Sinatra had been linked on many occassions as having ties to the Mafia. Obviously Puzo's creation of Johnny Fontaine in The Godfather seemed to imply that his character was based on Sinatra and his connections to organized crime. Sinatra felt that Puzo's creating the Johnny Fontaine character based on Sinatra had no real basis of truth to it.

Sinatra as Vito? Nah, I couldn't see him in that role. If I had to pick a role that I thought he could play in The Godfather, it would be the role of Sonny.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: I did not know this #37026
02/20/06 12:06 PM
02/20/06 12:06 PM
H
henry Offline
Button
henry  Offline
H
Button
Sorry but Brando was a joke in Guys & Dolls.Why the ability to sing was considered unimportant in casting a musical must remain a Hollywood mystery. Sorry again GF fans but Brando was terrible in the GF slurring his speech like a stroke victim. He couldn't even remember his lines.The director had to post them all over the room like highway billbords. I am not saying Sinatra should have gotten the role but there were plenty of other possibilities,not the least of which was Danny Thomas. The film would have been a great comeback vehicle for him.The film did nothing to revive Brando's career.He was better in the Freshman.

Re: I did not know this #37027
02/20/06 12:12 PM
02/20/06 12:12 PM
H
henry Offline
Button
henry  Offline
H
Button
By the way in addition to the GF films would it be OK to discuss Broadway musicals on this site?

Re: I did not know this #37028
02/20/06 12:35 PM
02/20/06 12:35 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by henry:
Sorry but Brando was a joke in Guys & Dolls.Why the ability to sing was considered unimportant in casting a musical must remain a Hollywood mystery. Sorry again GF fans but Brando was terrible in the GF slurring his speech like a stroke victim. He couldn't even remember his lines.The director had to post them all over the room like highway billbords. I am not saying Sinatra should have gotten the role but there were plenty of other possibilities,not the least of which was Danny Thomas. The film would have been a great comeback vehicle for him.The film did nothing to revive Brando's career.He was better in the Freshman.
Henry, while you are most certainly entitled to your opinion, so am I.

Guys and Dolls. Yes it's true that as far as the singing went in Guys and Dolls, Brando was not the best choice for the singing end of his part. Now as far as the character of Sky Masterson, he was the perfect man for that character and did a superb job as the Daymon Runyonesque gangster.

The Godfather. Brando was terrible as Vito Corleone? Are you sure that you've even seen The Godfather? wink You've got to be kidding me with that one! confused Brando was outstanding as Vito Corleone, especially in how he transformed the fictional written character from the book onto the big screen. Even the studio honchos, who were initially against FFC's casting of Brando for the part were mezmorized when they saw the 8mm tape that FFC shot showing Brando transforming himself into the Vito Corleone character. They themselves could no longer deny that Brando was the man for the part. Perhaps you need to read the novel so that you could get a true appreciation for the magnificent job that Brando did portraying Puzo's Vito Corleone character.

What you say about Brando playing Vito is in infamia on these boards. A mortal sin! [Linked Image]

And that I cannot not forgive! wink lol

As for your desire to discuss Broadway musicals on this site, go right ahead. There is a GENERAL DISCUSSION forum that will serve as the perfect venue for Broadway play discussion.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: I did not know this #37029
02/20/06 12:55 PM
02/20/06 12:55 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
I agree with Don Cardi. It is an infamnia to condemn Brando's performance inthe Godfather. I am greatly disappointed, and comments like that make me angry and insult my intelligence. Now. Tell me who put you up to this? Was it Fatherson or Apple? Come on Henry...what do you think, I 'd make your wife a widow?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: I did not know this #37030
02/20/06 12:58 PM
02/20/06 12:58 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Don Cardi...though I believe little henry was joking around (in both posts) just to ruffle a few feathers, you might want to also remind him of a particular review (I forget by whom, possibly Roger Ebert) which states that although Brando himself is seen in only about 1/3 of the film, the character of Vito remains dominant virtually throughout.

Thanks at least in part (a very BIG part) to Brando's unforgettable portrayal.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: I did not know this #37031
02/20/06 02:34 PM
02/20/06 02:34 PM
New York
Movie Expert Offline
Wiseguy
Movie Expert  Offline
Wiseguy
New York
According to one biography (by Anthony Summers), Sinatra was offered the Don Altobelli role (that went to Eli Wallach) in GFIII but turned it down because he would have to spend too much time on location.

Ironically, Eli Wallach was first in line to get the role of Maggio in "From Here to Eternity" until it went to FS.

Re: I did not know this #37032
02/20/06 11:34 PM
02/20/06 11:34 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I agree with DC that I can't see Sinatra as Vito. But then again, given Brando's all-time iconic performance, I don't think I could see anyone else in that role.
DS: Thanks for this info, which came as as news to me. But It's not unimanginable. Sinatra fancied himself a tough guy, and he did very well in tough-guy roles. One of his finest, IMO was in a little gem from 1954 called "Suddenly" (with Stirling Hayden). Sinatra was numero-uno.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: I did not know this #37033
02/20/06 11:54 PM
02/20/06 11:54 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
I, too, cannot visualize Sinatra as Vito.

Part of the beauty of Brando's performance was his willingness to totally submerge himself in the character of Vito - especially his physical appearance. Sinatra was always...well, Sinatra. His known dislike for a lot of rehearsal and doing multiple takes would have, IMO, caused friction with FFC. Sinatra liked to be "the boss" and everyone around him had to march to his tune. From everything I've read, Brando was very professional and caused no problems at all during shooting.

I feel the same thing about the prospect of Sinatra in GF3. Even though he was, by this time, much older, I wonder if he would have been believable enough as a character to make us forget Sinatra the Legend. I mean - again my opinion - Sinatra was a limited actor who, if the role was right, could be quite good. But, you never forgot you were watching Frank Sinatra.

Given the choice between Sinatra and Eli Wallach, I would have to go with Wallach.

As an aside, I agree with Turnbull 100% that Suddenly was an excellent film. Definitely worth seeing. (Try to catch it on TCM where they have the best quality print available.)

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: I did not know this #37034
02/21/06 06:45 PM
02/21/06 06:45 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
If Brando RIP was so terrible in the GF why did he win the Acadamey Award? Even though he didn't accept it.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: I did not know this #37035
02/21/06 09:13 PM
02/21/06 09:13 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Turnbull:
... I can't see Sinatra as Vito. But then again, given Brando's all-time iconic performance, I don't think I could see anyone else in that role...
The only other actor I'd at least be curious to have seen in the role is Laurence Olivier, who I heard was either interested or in contention at one point.

I think Olivier would've come up with a very interesting portrayal of Vito...however, probably would've overacted whereas the role just appeared to fit Brando like a glove.

Agree on Sinatra though...never.

Apple

ps - I've seen 'Suddenly' (once on PBS, shortly after Sinatra's death) and agree with all who say it's a terrific film. Excellent, chilling performance by Frankie, too!!

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: I did not know this #37036
02/21/06 09:19 PM
02/21/06 09:19 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Originally posted by Mignon:
If Brando RIP was so terrible in the GF why did he win the Acadamey Award? Even though he didn't accept it.
He did a couple of months later, also requesting a replacement for On The Waterfront, the trophy from which he claimed was stolen.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: I did not know this #37037
02/21/06 10:03 PM
02/21/06 10:03 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Don Andrew:
Originally posted by Mignon:
[b] If Brando RIP was so terrible in the GF why did he win the Acadamey Award? Even though he didn't accept it.
He did a couple of months later, also requesting a replacement for On The Waterfront, the trophy from which he claimed was stolen. [/b]
I remember in that infamous Larry King interview about 10 years ago...at one point King actually asked, 'Where are your Oscars?'

I'll never forget Brando's reaction...sort of a blank look and then a slow, almost embarrassed, "I don't know....."

Guess he didn't exactly keep them on a mantle in the living room!

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: I did not know this #37038
02/23/06 08:29 PM
02/23/06 08:29 PM
USA
F
flucko Offline
Button
flucko  Offline
F
Button
USA
Didn't Brando and Sinatra had some sort of "rivalry" during their careers? I don't think they really liked each other and competed for many different roles back then.

Sinatra was a good actor, but I don't think he can ever fit into the shoes of Vito Corleone -- Brando just stole the scnenes and transformed himself into Vito. Sinatra would never been capable of doing that because whenever I see his films, I would always think the character is Frank Sinatra because there will always be his presence no matter what. He was just that kind of guy.

As for if Marlon Brando was actually good in his performance in The Godfather, I wouldn't exactly cheer and say "It was breathtaking, excellent, fantastic, etc." The greatest thing about Brando's performance in the first Godfather film is that it was his "comeback" and he made a lasting impression on the audience. Sure, he was only in about 1/3 of the film but whenever I hear the words The Godfather, the image of Vito Corleone comes into my mind and even Robert De Niro couldn't compete with that kind of brilliance. But still -- his performance felt like a supporting role (IMO, Al Pacino's Michael always seemed like the protagonist). I think it would of had been appropriate to nominate him for a supporting Oscar.

As for what Apple said, I would have liked to see Laurence Olivier as Vito. It would of been interesting, don't you think?

I believe Brando lived the crazy lifestyle back then. It definitely seemed like it! There's still plenty of rumors bustering around him. He seemed like a strange guy. I mean, who would refuse their Oscar and then claim it later on? Oh well ...

Re: I did not know this #37039
02/23/06 08:42 PM
02/23/06 08:42 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by flucko:
Didn't Brando and Sinatra had some sort of "rivalry" during their careers? I don't think they really liked each other and competed for many different roles ...
I don't know if they had a bonafide 'rivalry' that lasted throughout their careers...but it's true that Sinatra (fresh off his Oscar win) was originally cast for the 'On The Watefront' role that eventually went to Brando. And their role 'switch' in 'Guys and Dolls' is a true story too...although I agree if you take away the singing part, Brando was much better suited to the role he played.

Mark Simone of 77-WABC (New York) has a terrific 'Rat Pack' segment on his radio show every Saturday morning. Some obscure story and soundbite from the careers of Frank, Dean, Sammy etc. Last week, he happened to play a
soundbite from sometime during the 1980's, when Sinatra told the story of how he tried to coach Brando during recording of the Guys & Dolls musical numbers. Especially with 'Luck Be a Lady', which Frank said was technically a difficult song to sing. Brando basically thumbed his nose at this attempt of assistance so Sinatra exited the recording studio and left Marlon on his own.

It was a very amusing story the way Frank told it...while making a point of praising Brando as an actor, he made it clear that there was no love lost between the two.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull