GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 296 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,917
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,332
Posts1,058,798
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
GOP Healthcare "Repeal" would cost us $230 billion #590034
01/06/11 04:09 PM
01/06/11 04:09 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline OP
ronnierocketAGO  Offline OP
R

East Tennessee
The GOP got elected to "cut" the deficit, but their efforts to repeal the so-called ObamaCare would according to the Congressional Budget Office actually add over $230 billion to the said Deficit.

In other words, get a new paint job for your car by driving it over a cliff.

http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-cohn/80967/breaking-cbo-confirms-repeal-stuff-you-wont

Re: GOP Healthcare "Repeal" would cost us $230 billion [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #590314
01/09/11 10:28 PM
01/09/11 10:28 PM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
Dont worry everyone Obamas stimulus plan will kick in soon. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA what a joke .....

I woke up this morning with nothing to do and went to bed with only half of it done.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/
http://www.stjude.org/
Re: GOP Healthcare "Repeal" would cost us $230 billion [Re: Don Smitty] #590315
01/09/11 10:37 PM
01/09/11 10:37 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Don Smitty
Dont worry everyone Obamas stimulus plan will kick in soon. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA what a joke .....

If this is the best retort I can expect from certain folks on the boards, well I feel much better.

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 01/09/11 10:39 PM.
Re: GOP Healthcare "Repeal" would cost us $230 billion [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #590356
01/10/11 02:32 PM
01/10/11 02:32 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
If you post articles/opinions, etc. even expecting or anticipating 'retorts', then you're already going down the wrong road.

Whatever your views, you should get them out there either via link or your own words, let all know how you feel on a particular issue and not realy be concerned about what responses come...whether in agreement or disagreement.

That way you have nothing to worry about...ever. At least not on the Gangster BB....

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: GOP Healthcare "Repeal" would cost us $230 billion [Re: AppleOnYa] #590547
01/11/11 10:42 PM
01/11/11 10:42 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
An interesting sidenote to this is that the new Republican leadership in the House proclaimed that any bill that would add to the deficit must include a measure showing that spending would be slashed or eliminated elsewhere in an equal amount. But the inevitale bill seeking to repeal the Affordable Care Act is exempt conveniently from this requirement. It would seem that they are less concerned about the deficit as they are about delivering a political blow to the President.

Re: GOP Healthcare "Repeal" would cost us $230 billion [Re: klydon1] #590654
01/13/11 11:53 AM
01/13/11 11:53 AM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
If the President came out and said that he is introducing a bill that will cure cancer if it passes, the Republicans would block it. The same is true for the Democrats - they would do the same to a Republican president. It is disgusting to watch the political gamesmanship that goes on. This particular case proves the point - they don't care at all about reducing the deficit - never have and never will. The only difference between the parties is where the spending goes, and even that is not all that different. Where's Ross Perot when you need him?

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: GOP Healthcare "Repeal" would cost us $230 billion [Re: Don Smitty] #590655
01/13/11 12:24 PM
01/13/11 12:24 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel

You are a moron. The original stimulus was Bush's bailout. The Obama stimulus for the auto industry has worked brilliantly, and but for the knuckle draggers in congress, he could have spent more and gotten us out of it sooner. Why don't you go to Alaska and hang out with Sarah "Blood Libel" Palin.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: GOP Healthcare "Repeal" would cost us $230 billion [Re: dontomasso] #590657
01/13/11 12:57 PM
01/13/11 12:57 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: dontomasso

You are a moron.

Don Smitty is not a moron... he just enjoys getting a rise out of anyone with differing political views. Much like another member here from the same general area in Jersey. Don't fault them for being difficult; their brains are oxygen starved from breathing in all that polluted Jersey air. They can't help it.

Seriously, please stop the personal attacks. Politics brings out the worst in all of us.

Re: GOP Healthcare "Repeal" would cost us $230 billion [Re: SC] #590661
01/13/11 02:09 PM
01/13/11 02:09 PM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: SC

You are a moron.

Don Smitty is not a moron... he just enjoys getting a rise out of anyone with differing political views. Much like another member here from the same general area in Jersey. Don't fault them for being difficult; their brains are oxygen starved from breathing in all that polluted Jersey air. They can't help it.

Seriously, please stop the personal attacks. Politics brings out the worst in all of us.

Hey, I'm not sure but I think I resent that remark. (Unless South Jersey gets a exception to the statement).

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: GOP Healthcare "Repeal" would cost us $230 billion [Re: Don Marco] #590663
01/13/11 02:51 PM
01/13/11 02:51 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Don Marco
Hey, I'm not sure but I think I resent that remark. (Unless South Jersey gets a exception to the statement).

Absolutely does, DM. I was referring to the north central part of the state ... the part that smells funny.

Re: GOP Healthcare "Repeal" would cost us $230 billion [Re: dontomasso] #590679
01/13/11 04:12 PM
01/13/11 04:12 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

The Obama stimulus for the auto industry has worked brilliantly,

GM got over $49 billion in taxpayer money. Just for the taxpayers to break even General Motors must have a net worth of somewhere in the $66 billion area. When General Motors came out of bankruptcy the United States Treasury converted most of those loans into a percentage stake in the company's stock. General Motors did NOT repay any of the loans from its earnings.

Now let's talk about Citi. The government, or should I say taxpayers, gave them bailout money. Made a LOAN to them. However Citi did NOT pay back the the loan in $$$. Instead the government was given Citi stock at a rate of approximately $1 per share, a rate that would equal the total amount of $$ given to Citi for the bailout. When the Citi stock finally rose a few months back, the government SOLD those shares and that is how the government recouped the taxpayers money that was LOANED to Citi. It was a very risky move and in truth it was NEVER clearly explained to the public just how the bailout money was going to be recouped. As a mater of fact the government took a HUGE risk in setting up the payback for these loans *see footnote

Citi did NOT really pay back the LOAN to the taxpayers as it was being reported all over the news several months ago.

And I won't even go into A.I.G. rolleyes or unemployment.

One could argue that the bailout given to GM was a success. Time will tell.

As for Citi, although I feel that the government was not forthcoming on how they were going to hold Citi accountable in paying back A LOAN, but instead took a huge risk with our tax money, in the end it did work out. BUt overall the bailout has not been a total success just yet because when you lump together all of the the banks, the car companies, and A.I.G., the Treasury has recouped only something like $200 billion of the $600 billion. Whether it will ALL work out still remains to be seen.

*which it turned out were not really loans but investment risks where our tax money was used in playing the stock market. Thank GOD that it wound up, at least with Citi, working out for the taxpayers. But tell me, where have all the profits that were made by our Government on the selling of the Citi stock gone to? No one in government has given a clear answer when presented with this question!

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: GOP Healthcare "Repeal" would cost us $230 billion [Re: Don Cardi] #590681
01/13/11 04:17 PM
01/13/11 04:17 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
My understanding was that the "loans" to these companies were secured with equity so that upon default the Federal government could liquidate the companies assets to recoup the amount of the loans.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: GOP Healthcare "Repeal" would cost us $230 billion [Re: olivant] #590694
01/13/11 05:21 PM
01/13/11 05:21 PM
I
Ice Offline
Underboss
Ice  Offline
I
Underboss
Re: Citigroup - The U.S. government sold off its remaining shares in Citigroup back in early December for $4.35 each, marking an exit from ownership in the bailed-out banking giant with a $12 billion gross profit for taxpayers.

DC is right, it was NEVER clearly explained to the public just how the bailout money was going to be recouped. But that $12 billion figure is what I keep hearing.

The Treasury invested a total of $45 billion to bail out Citigroup in 2008 and 2009 during the financial crisis. The company paid back $20 billion in preferred stock, while another $25 billion was converted to 7.7 billion common shares held by the Treasury.

As far as the bailed-out insurer American International Group goes, just as olivant already stated, the Treasury converted all its preferred shares of AIG into common stock of the insurer, claiming almost 93 percent of the company’s total shares. After a recapitalization deal closes on Friday, the Treasury will own 92.1 percent of AIG. The government rescued AIG from the brink of failure in September 2008 in a bailout that topped $182 billion.

This afternoon some of America's top bankers were in Manhattan to make a pitch for managing what could be one of the largest share sales in history -- a secondary offering for AIG. Goldman Sachs, Bank of America, JP Morgan, etc. are all contending to be the banker who manages the deal.

Re: GOP Healthcare "Repeal" would cost us $230 billion [Re: olivant] #590836
01/15/11 01:19 PM
01/15/11 01:19 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: olivant
My understanding was that the "loans" to these companies were secured with equity so that upon default the Federal government could liquidate the companies assets to recoup the amount of the loans.

GM and Chrysler had to provide the government with stock warrants giving it the option to buy GM and Chrysler stock at a specific price. Had those companies gone into total bankruptcy, those stocks and warrants would have not been worth a penny making the government nothing more than an unsecured creditor. When these terms and conditions were questioned by some in power, it was then that the U.S. Treasury revised the terms of the "loans" where part of the "loans" were supposedly "secured" by assets not already promised to other entities with the balance of the "loans" "secured" whistle against assets that HAD been already promised to other entities who had already placed liens against some of the auto companies that were given bailout money!

Giving bailout money under theses terms and conditions is like giving someone a home equity loan or a line of credit when that someone has an upside down mortgage with all kinds liens against their home or property. uhwhat

The government took a very high risk, with OUR tax dollars, in the way that they provided these companies with "loans" to bail them out.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: GOP Healthcare "Repeal" would cost us $230 billion [Re: Don Cardi] #590850
01/15/11 04:15 PM
01/15/11 04:15 PM
Chicago Underworld
Frank_Nitti Offline
"The Enforcer"
Frank_Nitti  Offline
"The Enforcer"
Underboss
Chicago Underworld
I don't think anyone really wanted to see the big auto companies fail, if for nothing else than for nostalgia's sake. These are the same companies who propelled this country to world power status and modernization after WWII.

Of course, Ford is the one big auto company that turned down the government bailout money (they did however have to cut 40% of their employees along with drastically scaling down their overall product line).

Re: GOP Healthcare "Repeal" would cost us $230 billion [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #591620
01/21/11 11:29 AM
01/21/11 11:29 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Didn't the GOP learn from the 1990s? Just call up Newt and ask him how it worked out for him.

Will GOP shut down the government over Healthcare funds?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/20/george-clooney-contracts-malaria_n_811724.html

Also, 18% polled Americans only want full HCR repeal.

Re: GOP Healthcare "Repeal" would cost us $230 billion [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #592269
01/26/11 06:14 AM
01/26/11 06:14 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee

Re: GOP Healthcare "Repeal" would cost us $230 billion [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #592365
01/26/11 06:17 PM
01/26/11 06:17 PM
Chicago Underworld
Frank_Nitti Offline
"The Enforcer"
Frank_Nitti  Offline
"The Enforcer"
Underboss
Chicago Underworld
Mr. Obama said last night that tackling the deficit "means further reducing health care costs, including programs like Medicare and Medicaid, which are the single biggest contributor to our long-term deficit. Health insurance reform will slow these rising costs, which is part of why nonpartisan economists have said that repealing the health care law would add a quarter of a trillion dollars to our deficit."

Fact is, The idea that Obama's health care law saves money for the government is based on assumptions that are arguable, at best.

To be sure, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office has estimated the law will slightly reduce red ink over 10 years. But the office's analysis assumes that steep cuts in Medicare spending, as called for in the law, will actually take place. Others in the government have concluded it is unrealistic to expect such savings from Medicare.

In recent years, for example, Congress has repeatedly overridden a law that would save the treasury billions by cutting deeply into Medicare pay for doctors. Just last month, the government once again put off the scheduled cuts for another year, at a cost of $19 billion. That money is being taken out of the health care overhaul. Congress has shown itself sensitive to pressure from seniors and their doctors, and there's little reason to think that will change.

EDIT - Obama care would indeed increase the deficit and debt as has been made clear by both the Chief Actuary of Medicare and CBO health care cost projections.

Last edited by Frank_Nitti; 01/26/11 06:24 PM.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull