GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 322 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,989
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,357
Posts1,059,135
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Borders Books stops payments #589912
01/05/11 07:40 AM
01/05/11 07:40 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
I still occasionally buy things from bookstores, though not as much as in the past.

Borders refuses to pay publishers on time

When was the last time you were in a bookstore? Exactly. On-line books sales and electronic readers have replaced our primary need for going there. There are other reasons to go to a book store, to socialize, or see what new books are out, but they have little to do with actually buying a book.

And that's the conundrum facing the nation's second largest bookstore chain, Borders. Shares of Borders fell to below $1 after it announced that it couldn't afford to pay publishers for their books at this time and would have to delay payment.

That news followed an earlier report in which Borders said a third party had lowered the value of its inventory in the event it had to sell the company or go out of business. That hurt Borders' ability to borrow and forced it into talks with senior credit facilities to refinance its debt....

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Lilo] #589926
01/05/11 11:59 AM
01/05/11 11:59 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Actually, I buy a lot of books from Costco because their prices are so good.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Sicilian Babe] #590102
01/07/11 12:14 PM
01/07/11 12:14 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I tend to buy most of my books from Amazon cos it is much cheaper than an actual book store but i still love to browse in book stores and do still buy a book when i am in there.

Funnily enough Borders UK went bust last year which was a shame cos the local borders to us was the best book shop i have ever been in confused

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #590132
01/07/11 02:38 PM
01/07/11 02:38 PM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Staten Island / New Jersey
I guess I better use my Borders Gift Card soon.

Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Just Lou] #590150
01/07/11 08:01 PM
01/07/11 08:01 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Buying books online is cheaper, to be sure, but nothing beats walking into a Borders or Barnes & Noble, and being completely surrounded by thousands of books. It is nearly impossible for me to walk in to either one of those stores and not walk out with something.

The Barnes & Noble near me as an excellent bargain section. I just recently purchased the hardcover editions of THE GIVEN DAY by Dennis Lehane and CHILD 44 by Tom Rob Smith for $4.99 and $5.98, respectively.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: XDCX] #590333
01/10/11 06:47 AM
01/10/11 06:47 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
I used to go to Borders just about every weekend but the combination of price and inventory makes me check for stuff on the internet more and more.

I do like the bargain section and have purchased a number of historical books or coffee table books for pretty low prices.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Lilo] #591147
01/17/11 04:37 PM
01/17/11 04:37 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
I had a chance to join this company about two years back. Now I'm glad I didn't. panic

Border's Layoffs

Borders Group Inc. laid off 45 employees today, including 40 at its Ann Arbor headquarters, as the nation's second largest traditional bookseller continues to deal with a cash crunch.

The other five jobs were cut from Borders' distribution centers. Last week, 310 employees were told they would be laid off with the closure of a distribution center near Nashville, Tenn. Borders will consolidate the processing and delivery of books, movies, music and other products at two distribution centers in Carlisle, Pa., and Mira Loma, Calif.

The laid-off workers in Ann Arbor and elsewhere will receive severance pay.

"This decision is a result of Borders' focus on reducing costs and re-adjusting its business model to improve profitability and cash flow," spokeswoman Mary Davis wrote in a statement.

"The realignment at (headquarters) encompasses nearly all business areas, including IT (information technology), human resources, finance and merchandising," the statement said....

Winter is Coming

Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Lilo] #594640
02/16/11 12:34 PM
02/16/11 12:34 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Borders Group Inc. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection this morning after five years of turnaround efforts failed to return the Ann Arbor-based bookseller to health.

The nation’s second-largest bookseller said it would close 30% of its stores, or about 194 in the coming weeks. There are 32 stores in Michigan.

It received $505 million in debtor in possession financing lead by GE Capital, Borders said in the filing in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York. That was the same court that handled the fast-track bankruptcies for General Motors and Chrysler.

Borders listed $1.27 billion in assets and $1.29 billion in liabilities in its Chapter 11 filing. It has fewer than 50 creditors, mostly publishers. The top creditor is Penguin Putnam, which is owed $41.1 million.

Winter is Coming

Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Lilo] #594874
02/18/11 08:35 PM
02/18/11 08:35 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
It's too bad for them but I hope to pick up a bunch of coffee table books at good prices tomorrow. ohwell

Liquidation sales start

Store closing sales at 200 Borders stores will begin Saturday at stores across 35 states as part of the bookseller’s bankruptcy process.

The liquidation of books, merchandise and even store fixtures is valued at $350 million, Hilco Merchant Resources said in a statement today.

Borders won approval from a U.S. bankruptcy judge on Thursday to begin the liquidation sales. The bookseller previously said the process would begin this weekend, but did not say what day.

Hilco is part of a group of companies appointed by the court to conduct store closing sales....

Winter is Coming

Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Lilo] #594889
02/19/11 12:34 AM
02/19/11 12:34 AM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
i like barns n noble better when it comes to a book store, and if i pass it by.

otherwise i order from amazon either in physical form or digital form.

Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Lilo] #594991
02/20/11 06:06 PM
02/20/11 06:06 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
I went by there this morning but most things were just 20% off. That's not a real store closing sale in my opinion. I can still get most things cheaper online. I picked up a few books that were already marked down.

Winter is Coming

Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Lilo] #595007
02/20/11 09:43 PM
02/20/11 09:43 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Now we know the real reason why the girl from FAME's PRETTY FACE topic didn't want to bother promoting the bookstore's buyers club! She probably knew what was coming! lol wink

Seriously though, I think that one of the major problems with Borders is that they did not keep up with the electronic age and the changing times in order to stay competitive!

Amazon came out with the Kindle and Barnes and Noble came out with the Nook. I feel that Borders also needed to come up with a version of their own type of e-book in order to compete and survive. Unfortunately they did not and in my opinion it is now hurting them. And to make matters worse for companies like Borders you have places like Costco who immediately offer brand new debut books at such low discounted prices!

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Don Cardi] #595052
02/21/11 02:34 PM
02/21/11 02:34 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
I never tried any of those e-readers but evidently they are quite the rage these days. Business needs to adapt or die.

I think I mentioned I had a chance to join Borders IT department a few years back and declined. whistle
Maybe next weekend they will have what I consider a real store closing sale and have things 70% off.

I will be sorry to see them go as I spent many pleasant Sunday mornings there browsing and making lists of things worth having-which I would then price compare online. lol

Winter is Coming

Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Lilo] #595070
02/21/11 05:08 PM
02/21/11 05:08 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
if anything borders needs to follow what blockbuster did, and offer e-books at even lower costs.

Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Lilo] #595102
02/22/11 11:03 AM
02/22/11 11:03 AM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
I have an e0book - a Kindle. It is nice - so small but easy to read. I have mostly free books, things that are out of copyright like Dracula and many others. I also have games like chess, crossword puzzles and card games. I generally read books out from the library on my commute but I carry the Kindle to fill in when I dpn't have a book.

The Borders that is downtown in NYC has liquidation signs in the window this morning. I don't think there are any bookstores left in the downtown area after that one is gone.

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Don Marco] #595148
02/22/11 05:43 PM
02/22/11 05:43 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Don Marco
I don't think there are any bookstores left in the downtown area after that one is gone.

You still have three Barnes and Nobles downtown, DM. Union Square, Tribeca and Greenwich Village.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: pizzaboy] #595603
02/26/11 11:56 AM
02/26/11 11:56 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
On a similar theme, our largest music stores, HMV, are now apparently facing difficulties and they are everywhere in the UK......

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Lilo] #595607
02/26/11 01:50 PM
02/26/11 01:50 PM
J
johnnynonos Offline
Wiseguy
johnnynonos  Offline
J
Wiseguy
It sucks for publishing. Not that it was great before, with essentially two people--the buyer at Borders and the buyer at Barnes & Noble--controlling the entire industry, but now it's even worse.

Garrison Keillor wrote an essay where he said the future of publishing is millions of professional authors with an average readership of 5 making a $1.75 a year.

Hard not to see it that way, at least in the short term.

Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Lilo] #608330
07/18/11 07:45 PM
07/18/11 07:45 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
And that's a wrap..

Borders Group Inc. plans to liquidate, marking the culmination of a years-long decline for the nation’s second largest bookstore chain, which had fallen into disrepair four decades after it opened its first store in downtown Ann Arbor.

The liquidation, which Borders announced shortly after 4:10 p.m., means that the 10,700 people who still work for Borders — including about 400 at its Ann Arbor headquarters — will lose their jobs.

The Ann Arbor-based chain’s 399 remaining stores will be closed quickly, with liquidation sales starting as soon as Friday — although the company said in a court filing late today that 30 leases could still be sold off.

"It’s not news to me," said Jim McTevia, a turnaround consultant with Bingham Farms-based McTevia & Associates. "The handwriting was on the wall for this company two years ago."

Although Borders is a shadow of its former self — it once employed some 1,800 workers at its corporate headquarters — it’s still a profoundly disheartening development for the local workforce. And it’s the biggest gut punch for the local economy since Pfizer announced its departure from Ann Arbor four years ago...

Liquidation

Winter is Coming

Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Lilo] #608366
07/19/11 02:00 AM
07/19/11 02:00 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Sadly, or not, it's a sign of the times. MP3's helped wipe out record stores and record companies, and now eBooks are wiping out bookstores. Bands and authors can release their materials electronically on their own now, and cheaply. Print and other physical media will one day come to an end, and so will all those related jobs. ohwell

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Lilo] #608379
07/19/11 06:52 AM
07/19/11 06:52 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Yup. I'll be down there this weekend with the rest of the vultures picking up stuff from the going out of business sale.

You can't place a monetary value on it but the downtown store really was a nice place to hang out. I don't know who will be the new tenant.

I've not gotten into the e-reader thing. Luddite, yes I know. rolleyes

Winter is Coming

Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: J Geoff] #608381
07/19/11 08:08 AM
07/19/11 08:08 AM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: J Geoff

Sadly, or not, it's a sign of the times. MP3's helped wipe out record stores and record companies, and now eBooks are wiping out bookstores. Bands and authors can release their materials electronically on their own now, and cheaply. Print and other physical media will one day come to an end, and so will all those related jobs. ohwell

Then we wonder why so many people are out of work. frown

A real double edge sword. So many new things and ways to do them, but at what cost.

People still can't afford to use or buy them without working. And each card that falls seems to put more pressure on the next one. Till the house of cards colapses.

Most who lose their jobs in these business find it hard to shift into new areas.

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: fathersson] #608408
07/19/11 11:04 AM
07/19/11 11:04 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: fathersson
Then we wonder why so many people are out of work. frown

That's the thing: These jobs are NEVER coming back.

The technology (as wonderful as it is) has made these jobs expendable. That's one of the main things slowing down the economic recovery. These poor folks certainly aren't going to find new jobs in other bookstores. Same goes for the people who worked in record stores. These retail stores have gone the way of the dodo bird.

And Lilo, you're not the only Luddite on the boards. I'm worse lol.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: pizzaboy] #608435
07/19/11 02:44 PM
07/19/11 02:44 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
And Lilo, you're not the only Luddite on the boards. I'm worse lol.

Gentlemen, I think I've got you both beat. I don't even own a cell phone, or a palm-whateveritis. Don't have a microwave, still have my semi-obsolete 1999 vintage ComputerSaurus and like nothing better than curling up with a real book or watching one of my hundreds of VHS tapes.

I could go on and on but I won't - except to say that talking pictures are just a novelty and will probably never catch on. wink

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Signor Vitelli] #608436
07/19/11 02:48 PM
07/19/11 02:48 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Sr. Vitelli just got indoor plumbing last year.

Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Lilo] #608446
07/19/11 04:44 PM
07/19/11 04:44 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I love books and I love to read. However, my husband got me a Kindle for my birthday and I am a convert. It's wonderful, especially when I'm traveling. I can download tons of books, but it doesn't take up any more room in my carry-on. And I like the idea that you can sample books, too. They will send you the first chapter of any book you want free of charge.

As for retail, that's the way it goes. And the jobs are truly not a huge economic loss. They are mostly minimum wage and part-time, with a few exceptions. The retail industry normally sees vast employee turnover, so it's unusual that these would be loyal employees that have a lot of time and/or seniority with the company.

I'm sure if it was MY part-time job, I'd be more upset, though.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: SC] #608460
07/19/11 06:57 PM
07/19/11 06:57 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Originally Posted By: SC
Sr. Vitelli just got indoor plumbing last year.

Hey, why not? I hear it's where a lot of people do their best reading!

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Sicilian Babe] #608502
07/20/11 07:20 AM
07/20/11 07:20 AM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I love books and I love to read. However, my husband got me a Kindle for my birthday and I am a convert. It's wonderful, especially when I'm traveling. I can download tons of books, but it doesn't take up any more room in my carry-on. And I like the idea that you can sample books, too. They will send you the first chapter of any book you want free of charge.

As for retail, that's the way it goes. And the jobs are truly not a huge economic loss. They are mostly minimum wage and part-time, with a few exceptions. The retail industry normally sees vast employee turnover, so it's unusual that these would be loyal employees that have a lot of time and/or seniority with the company.

I'm sure if it was MY part-time job, I'd be more upset, though.

Some could very well be the normal turnover, but I think you will find that those types of jobs may have been filled by many people who couldn't find any other jobs so had to work at that level or have no other skills so that had to take the work.

Many older workers have not found much luck finding jobs do to their age. Then lets think about all those single people who have no other income coming into their homes and will miss what income a job like that provided, almost 11,000 jobs out there gone and that is just one more company to add to the long list of companys that are now gone or have cut back.

Look around or talk to other workers and you will find that where there were 10 worker who have worked at a place have been taken down to five or six people. If there were 5 workers in a department you will see that there are only two or three doing the job.

Things take longer to get, or have things done and everyone seems to just take it with a grain of salt because they think that can not do anything about it and in most cases they don't, but just be happy that they still have their jobs.

Factor in the people who have taken a lower paying job just to keep working or who have stop looking for work and that 9% out of work number makes things a lot worst out there, but hind out there.

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Lilo] #608504
07/20/11 08:34 AM
07/20/11 08:34 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
I don't know about the other stores outside of Michigan but per article about 400 people will be laid off at Ann Arbor HQ. Those were corporate jobs that mostly paid well over $45-55K. That doesn't count the two Washtenaw County stores that have maybe about 30-40 employees who earn less than the corporate folks.

I had a chance to work at Borders about 4 years prior and am obviously glad I didn't. Unemployment is lower than average in Washtenaw County b/c of U-M and EMU but even so this is gonna hurt.

Winter is Coming

Re: Borders Books stops payments [Re: Lilo] #608507
07/20/11 08:56 AM
07/20/11 08:56 AM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
The store in lower Manhattan on Broadway closed recently, leaving no bookstores in the downtown area. I was sorry to see it go, but I can see why it happened. I am an avid reader and most of the time I don't buy books, I take them out of the library. I bought gifts there from time to time, but have a hard time paying $20+ for a book that I will only read once. I joined the ebook craze with a Kindle, but still don't spend a lot on new books for it.

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull