GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (mobcleve, m2w, 2 invisible), 170 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,461
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,873
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,321
Posts1,058,565
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pilot Episode #589603
12/31/10 12:30 PM
12/31/10 12:30 PM
R'lyeh
Lovecraft Offline OP
Made Member
Lovecraft  Offline OP
Made Member
R'lyeh
Hey folks, irecently got the sopranos box set for Christmas and dove right in. However I have a couple questions/ comments regarding some stuff that I noticed and wanted to get some input from some of the people on the bb.

1. The first (or second?) time we see Tony and his guys at, there is a conversation that occurs between the crew where the color tone is red/ pinkish, especially in the background? Does anyone know what I'm talking about and why that decision was made?

2. In the same conversation, Silvio asks Tony something to the extent of "did you go to high school with a guy named Artie buck?" This question is really out of place for me as I was under the impression they were all friends with Artie/ dined at his restaurant quite regularly. Is this just because it's the pilot and the characters had not been established?

3. Who are the two older men walking with Tony and Junior when Junior says "you may run north jersey but you don't run your uncle junior!" do we ever see them again, what is their fate?

4. Would Silvio really have carried out the bombing of the vesuvio? A high ranking guy like? Or can it just be chalked up to needing a recognizable character to commit a crime so the audience can connect to them and the storyline?

Thanks in advance guys, let me know what your thoughts are!

Re: Pilot Episode [Re: Lovecraft] #589609
12/31/10 12:55 PM
12/31/10 12:55 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Offhand I don't remember certain details to some of the questions that you asked ( two men walking...etc. ) as I would have to see it again.

But to give you a general answer; when the pilot / first season was filmed, the creators admitted that they were not sure if this show was going to even last one season. Therefore they probably shot and filmed the first season on a much lower budget causing the picture to look the way that you have correctly described.

There is no question that you can see a big difference in the much improved picture quality in season two compared to the lower quality in season one.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Pilot Episode [Re: Don Cardi] #589610
12/31/10 01:20 PM
12/31/10 01:20 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Am i also right in saying that Tony narrated the first episode "01 The Sopranos", but there was no talking over the episodes after this first episode..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Pilot Episode [Re: DE NIRO] #589708
01/02/11 09:47 AM
01/02/11 09:47 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Am i also right in saying that Tony narrated the first episode "01 The Sopranos", but there was no talking over the episodes after this first episode..

I think so DN.....

It is that long since i watched the first series...i may have to dig it out again smile

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Pilot Episode [Re: Don Cardi] #589724
01/02/11 04:38 PM
01/02/11 04:38 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Offhand I don't remember certain details to some of the questions that you asked ( two men walking...etc. ) as I would have to see it again.

But to give you a general answer; when the pilot / first season was filmed, the creators admitted that they were not sure if this show was going to even last one season. Therefore they probably shot and filmed the first season on a much lower budget causing the picture to look the way that you have correctly described.

There is no question that you can see a big difference in the much improved picture quality in season two compared to the lower quality in season one.

Good synopsis, DC.

I'll just add that the Pilot was shot in the Summer of 1997, the rest of Season One was shot in the Summer and Fall of 1998. The show didn't premiere until January of 1999, a full year and a half after the Pilot was shot.

You can really see the difference in the kids (A.J. and Meadow) if you look closely. Also, Tony didn't have sideburns in the Pilot. He did in the second episode.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Pilot Episode [Re: pizzaboy] #589729
01/02/11 07:15 PM
01/02/11 07:15 PM
Canada
Blake Offline
Underboss
Blake  Offline
Underboss
Canada
In the first episode if you look closely, you can see Father Intintola is played by a different actor than in the the rest of the series.

You talkin' to me?
Re: Pilot Episode [Re: Blake] #589733
01/02/11 10:08 PM
01/02/11 10:08 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: Blake Peters
In the first episode if you look closely, you can see Father Intintola is played by a different actor than in the the rest of the series.
And you can see Drea de Matteo as the hostess in the restaurant where Tony and his goomar dine in.

Quote:
1. The first (or second?) time we see Tony and his guys at, there is a conversation that occurs between the crew where the color tone is red/ pinkish, especially in the background? Does anyone know what I'm talking about and why that decision was made?
I don't remember this but will watch it and get back to you. I do know early on the camera angles were very low and often askew (think of the angles used in the hijacking scenes of "46 Long") but Chase and co. decided that their writing was good enough that they didn't need weird camera angles to draw attention to the material.(I read that in one of the generic series guides, I think.)

Quote:
2. In the same conversation, Silvio asks Tony something to the extent of "did you go to high school with a guy named Artie buck?" This question is really out of place for me as I was under the impression they were all friends with Artie/ dined at his restaurant quite regularly. Is this just because it's the pilot and the characters had not been established?
Yeah, pretty much. In " Boca", the ninth episode of the season, all three attend the game of their daughters' soccer match.

Quote:
3. Who are the two older men walking with Tony and Junior when Junior says "you may run north jersey but you don't run your uncle junior!" do we ever see them again, what is their fate?
They're never mentioned again, to my knowledge. In that episode they're 'old school' associates to Junior.

Quote:
4. Would Silvio really have carried out the bombing of the vesuvio? A high ranking guy like? Or can it just be chalked up to needing a recognizable character to commit a crime so the audience can connect to them and the storyline?
Yeah, someone that close (a consigliere at that point?) would never do something at that point. Put it down to a lack of characters written for the pilot.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Pilot Episode [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #589760
01/03/11 12:14 PM
01/03/11 12:14 PM
R'lyeh
Lovecraft Offline OP
Made Member
Lovecraft  Offline OP
Made Member
R'lyeh
Thanks Nostra, and everyone else!

Re: Pilot Episode [Re: Lovecraft] #589795
01/03/11 05:48 PM
01/03/11 05:48 PM
South of Tom's Town
Paddy Offline
Button
Paddy  Offline
Button
South of Tom's Town
I still wonder if Meadow had a nose job after the first two episodes or if it was just normal teenage face changes.

Re: Pilot Episode [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #589806
01/03/11 08:18 PM
01/03/11 08:18 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Yeah, someone that close (a consigliere at that point?) would never do something at that point. Put it down to a lack of characters written for the pilot.

To add a little side note to that Capo, several years back I read or heard somewhere that in the original script for the Sopranos there was no such character as Silvio Dante.

Supposedly David Chase was watching or attending a music award show and when he heard Steven Van Zandt (who was accepting some kind of an award), speak, he ( Chase) was amazed at the way that Van Zandt spoke and also at the way he shrugged his shoulders while making these awkward bodily expressions at the same time! It was then that Chase supposedly decided to re-write the script creating a character in it for Van Zandt to play.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Pilot Episode [Re: Lovecraft] #613729
09/06/11 03:17 AM
09/06/11 03:17 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Lovecraft

Those are guys in their late-60s\early-70s, old school, first-generation Italian-Americans or even Italian-born. Close to Junior.
They should also be called "lucky fellas" due to the fact that they managed to survive "the life" and getting old outside of prison.
Here's some of those who were later given a name and minor roles:

- Patrizio Blundetto (Uncle Pat)
Former soldier in the Soprano crew, worked alongside Johnny Boy Soprano. Pat is the uncle of Tony Blundetto and Chris Moltisanti. Tony Soprano calls him Uncle Pat but they are not blood relatives. Pat's brother Al Blundetto married Quintina the sister of Tony's mother. Pat owns a farm in Kinderhook, Upstate New York that his nephews used to visit in the summers of their youth. Several bodies were buried on the farm too (go figure)- Tony, Tony B., and Chris dug them up and moved them in 2004, as he was planning to sell the farm, and move to Florida, which he later does. In the series finale, Pat is seen visiting Junior in a New Jersey mental facility. He there encounters Janice, whom he suspects is attempting to con Junior into giving her the last of his money. Pat later visits Tony at the Bada Bing to report his niece's suspicious behavior, before going back to Florida.

- Giuseppe Scerbo (Beppy)
Seems very close to Uncle Jun. Accompanies him at the 1995 sit-down with Jackie Aprile.
Agrees with Junior on the need to kill Pussy Malanga and sides with Junior when Tony tries to persuade Junior into changing the planned location of the hit. Stands by Junior throughout his RICO trial and can often be seen in the courtroom. He also visits Junior in the asylum where Junior currently resides. Jos$eph Pucillo, the actor who portrays Beppy, is the uncle of series creator David Chase.

- Morfeo Lupo (Murf)
Former capo of Junior's crew, replacing Philip Parisi. After displaying signs of mental and physical enfeeblement that affected his capacity to run the crew's business, Junior had him replaced by Bobby Bacala.

- Thomas DiPalma
Elderly soldier in Junior's crew who is responsible for looking after him as his dementia worsens.
He allows Junior to wander out of the house.

There is also the dark and tall guy in the back...the credit just say "Gus"...then I found some info calling him "George Inzerillo" then again "George D'Agostino".

Last edited by LuanKuci; 09/11/11 02:34 PM.
Re: Pilot Episode [Re: Lovecraft] #643101
04/08/12 10:24 PM
04/08/12 10:24 PM
D
danielperrygin Offline
Underboss
danielperrygin  Offline
D
Underboss
Silvio at that time would only be a soldier. The name of the guy who started the fire was mentioned by tony again when he was asking ralphie about their horse getting burnt up. This is one of the many screw ups in the writing as ralph was in florida at the time and would most likely have known nothing about the job. Hell remember when Chrissy shot the bakery employee in the foot, who did he kick out the store? Gino? Hell thats Vito!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull